DS "earning" money for toys
Any suggestions welcome

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Unatheowl

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Dh has decided that we need to teach ds the value of money.  I totally agree in principle.  Just not sure the best way to implement.

Dh wants to write a chart of the cost of all the toys that ds wants and when he saves up enough money to buy them he can or he can choose to save more and buy a more expensive one etec.  Great.  The thing I would like suggestions on is how exactly is ds to get this money?

I am a bit against chores for money because they are things he should be taught to do anyway.  Anyone have any suggestions?  How do you do it?  Is it appropriate to give money for chores?

Thanks for any suggestions

#2 PatG

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Is it possible to have chores he is expected to do no matter what (and suffer consequences such as losing privileges if he doesn't) and then some new "jobs" that he gets paid for?  But he isn't able to be paid for the new jobs if he hasn't done the standard ones....  How old is he?  This is in the 3-5 years section and I think 5 is a little too young for teaching about money to that extent.

Possible "jobs" - helping with washing the car, folding family's clothes, weeding, sweeping outdoor areas.  You possibly don't want to attach too much money to any of these so maybe he could have pocket money and then the jobs get him and extra 50c/$1.

#3 Froger

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm assuming your Ds is under 5? IMO there is no way an under 5 is going to understand the value of money whatever you do. The whole concept of money and placing a monetary value on things and on work is just too complicated.

There is also no way I would ever pay any of my kids for working around the house. You live in the house, you have to do work in and around the house. That is just the way it is.

I really hate toys though. I never buy my kids toys (apart from board games and decks of cards), I can't bear to waste money on what is essentially a heap of junk that is going to be broken before long. I have found and resuced all my children's toys that they have, apart from a few that have been bought for them by other people.

My kids spend alot of time making their own toys, and they actually do a fabulous job. The older ones makes really good things for the younger ones. Really good toys, armour and costumes for the little ones, using carboard boxes that other people were just going to throw out or old scraps of material, old pot lids and the like.

My younger teens also are friends with another no toy family. And they spend they time getting unwanted stuff from all over the place to make things, including a really fabulous tree house.

I personally that feel having to find and make your own toys is the best way to teach kids the value of "things". This may be a little hard for under 5s, but they can still just use stuff from around the house for imaginative play, rather than store bought toys.

#4 Who is me

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

DS (3 and 3 months) earns money to buy trains. He is expected to do certain household tasks like putting away his underpants and socks, tidying his toys and putting his plates and cups in the sink, so doesn't get anything for those. He has the choice to do other jobs to earn money. He has chosen the jobs, and he likes washing the dishes (especially the frying pan), dusting and wiping the benches. He gets around 50c per job, and he has his own purse that he puts it in, so it's ready for when we are at the shops.

There's no pressure on him to do it, it's only if he wants to.

It has come in useful for when we are shopping and he asks for things - I ask him if he has any money, and he has to buy it himself. The first couple of times, he got upset that he didn't have his coins anymore, and wanted me to go to the shops to get them back! He's learning though and now he knows once he spends his money, it's gone.

#5 ellebelle

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

We really need to know age of DS. For my DS, I have made him sell toys on Ebay for the last couple of years. He is now 8. It has been amazing though how once the money is given to him, he's not so keen on spending on said new toy. Basically, with birthday in July and Xmas in December, he gets enough presents not to want to buy too much else in between. Over the last six months, he has also been rational enough that I can say x cost $30 new and we got $10 on Ebay for it and he is coming to grips with depreciation!

I remember we had to save for toys from when we were 5. We used to get 50c a week to wash dishes and then every now and then our grandparents would slip us some coins as well. Kids has a LOT less toys when I was young though.

#6 ellebelle

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Sorry - have just noticed forum is 3-5. Not meaning to sound judgemental but does he have lots of toys anyway? When my son was that bit younger I just said no an awful lot. He was thankfully also quite entertained by Happy Meal toys during those years! As per my prior post, now that he has got money he's really not that keen to spend it!

#7 Unatheowl

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Hi, thank you all for your replies.  He is 4.5 years old.  I'm inclined to agree with those who say he doesn't have any idea about money at this age however he needs to learn sometime.  imdot want him to becaomse one of those adults who still dont understand lol original.gif

Yes, he does have a lot of toys sad.gif. We are stopping that now, hence the buying them himself thing.  There are some good ideas here, thanks.

#8 g_uzica

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

DD just received this money box for her 4th birthday and grandma nicely donated some initial start up money. http://www.moneysavvykids.com.au/ordering.asp

We'll be using the money and supermarket catalogues, as dd is a lolly freak, to start learning about money and the cost of things.

In the new year she will also be receiving a token amount of pocket money each week that is not linked to chores that she can use, though she will have to save some of it each week.  DD's daycare also does a lot of money raising activities throughout the year, so she will be using her money next year for red nose day, etc also.

DD is not one who asks for things when we are out, as she prefers doing craft activities to actual toys, but we thought it's never to young to start learning about money and the cost of things.

Edited by g_uzica, 21 November 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#9 Mishu

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

DS (6 1/2) has only just now 'got' the concept of money; school has helped with that. We tried earlier, but it just didn't work for him - I think kids have to be old enough to understand the concept of the value of money. And I suspect anything under 5 might be too young. DS still struggles sometimes to understand that 2 x 10 cent coins is worth less than a 50c coin. He seems to get distracted by the number of coins rather than focusing on the total value lol.

For what it's worth, DS has a number of chores that he must do, as a member of this family (keep his room clean, put his pjs away, pick up his toys, etc). He also has a number of chores that he can choose to do (or choose not to do). If he does them, he earns his pocket money; if not, there's no pressure on him - but he doesn't get any pocket money. He sets the table for dinner every night, waters the indoor plants, helps take out the rubbish and feeds the chickens.

He's been motivated by certain toys and has been saving up for 3 or so weeks, and then can go and buy his own toy. I like the fact that he has started to save up for something he wants, rather than looking for instant gratification.

#10 MrsShine

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Absolutely agree with Mishu.

When I was growing up, we were expected to make our beds, take turns drying and putting away dishes, setting table, bringing in washing etc. for no pay. It was just part of contributing to a household.

But if there was something I really wanted I had to do more: iron, wash the car, help weed garden etc. etc. but I was more like 8 yrs + and I got $1, $2, $5 pre-agreed depending on the task.

A friend buys her 10 yr old n 8 yr old DS's what they need: clothes, food, a certain amount of toys etc. but especially during school holidays she mAkes them use birthday money/pocket money to buy extras. She insists they take out $10-20 at the beginning of each holidays and when they are in a newsagency or supermarket and they say "can I have this ice cream, lollipop etc." she says "sure, if you pay from your own money" & she says its amazing how much they consider the purchase when it's their own stash!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.