Cars everywhere!
do you store you car?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Excentrique Feral

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

How many cars are at your house?
Do you have enough carport/garage spaces for the cars that are at your house?
Where do you park your cars?

Just thinking about this as we have severe storms coming over the next few days. We have 2 cars and one tiny filled with crap garage so our cars will get damaged if the worst eventuates. Also, a few months back everyone in the street got a warning that cars are not to be parked on the nature strip or a fine will be issued, so we generally have one car parked on the street and one in the driveway.

And cars are everywhere in this street, seems to me like a lot of people leave their cars on the nature strip or on the road, or beside the house or some other random non car area. This is an older suburb without a double lock up at every house though.

Random thread I know, but sometimes I look up and down the street and think about how messy it looks, and how once upon a time there were nowhere near this many cars per person, so limited parking and traffic jams were not common. Sadly we cannot live with one car or we would definitely sell one!

#2 blackcat20

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Two cars but one tiny carport. Newest car (mine) gets priority. Other car can fit in the driveway, but its a pain to open the gate, so it gets left on the street...

#3 LynnyP

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Ours are two stories underground in a locked up cage in our apartment complex.  We have a two car space, could be three if all were small.  Many of the smaller apartments only have one spot and at least two cars.  Plus we are 100m from the beach.  Competition for parking gets pretty hot in summer!

#4 i-candi

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Two cars, one tinny (boat).

Three car garage, two car carport and we store our boat out the back shed area which is a sort of A frame shed with big covered space in between (one side stores the shed with tools and empty boxes etc and the other side stores gardening stuff and ride on mower).

Makes up for the lack of space inside the house.

#5 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Three cars, one motor bike trailer and one horse float plus one double garage half full of indispensable valuables (?). Bike trailer gets the garage space, two cars in the driveway, one on the road and horse float parked at self-storage place up the road.

#6 la di dah

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

One narrow terrible carport, and no driveway legal to park in. Fortunately, only one car, and it wouldn't want to be any wider, which is amazing since it's a not-exactly-massive Getz.

#7 jayskette

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

1 single garage but big enough to contain 1 car and 1 motorbike. I personally find it strange that people would use their garages for storage but not the storage of possibly their single most expensive asset after the home!

#8 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

no we dont have enough car space. and we had a severe storm last year write off our car from hail damage. Fingers crossed your cars will be ok.

If there is hail coming you can cover your cars in old thick blankets , that helps minimise hail damage. Worked for my neighbour but i wasnt quick enough

#9 Lil Chickens

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

1 carin a garage at the house, 3 utes in a garage up the back, several trucks and tractors all in machinery sheds.  Of course I'm cheating as we are on 400 acres!!

All would be put away if bad stors were coming.

#10 JaneLane

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

2 cars but only one garage.  Newest one which I drive gets garaged.  We use to live in an inner city suburb where almost no one had any off street parking. I like that we finally have somewhere to securely park at least one vehicle

#11 Lyn29

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

I have a triple garage and a couple of machinery sheds (it's a farm) but my DD is about to move into an inner suburbs apartment and will have to park on the street. I dread to think of what that will do to her insurance premiums!

#12 ~Mintie~

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

We have 2 cars, and our house has a 2.5 car garage with double carport. Of course, our garage is full of boxes that we haven't unpacked since moving in 4.5yrs ago, so we park in the carport.

#13 Jenferal

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

1 car in a single slightly  longer than normal garage. Storage PLUS keeping the car safe!

#14 Jenferal

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Mintie, if you've done without the stuff for over 4 years...why keep it? Clear it out and put the car in there!

#15 Zarlias

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

I park in the street because the gate is a pita.

Actually more curious to know where you are located that's expecting storms?

I have been in a bubble for a couple of days but it's damned warm here atm.

#16 ~Mintie~

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Mintie, if you've done without the stuff for over 4 years...why keep it? Clear it out and put the car in there!

Couldn't agree more! I just need to convince DH to sell it all. It's all his collectables..Star Wars, Spiderman, different nerd type stuff rolleyes.gif He's slowly parting with it, so it's a work in very slow progress.

ETA: It's also only in the garage because I won't let it in the house wink.gif

#17 Excentrique Feral

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

SEQ is to get rather bad storms evidently:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/wa.../storm-warning/

#18 mombasa

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

Two cars and a double garage, both cars live in there.

#19 Zarlias

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (Excentrique @ 16/11/2012, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SEQ is to get rather bad storms evidently:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/wa.../storm-warning/

Ta. Guess it's time to clear out the carport.

DH is born and bred Victorian, and I keep telling him about our summer storms. Last year was a bit disappointing and he still thinks I've been smoking something when I tell stories about the sky turning green.

#20 Excentrique Feral

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Zarlias @ 16/11/2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ta. Guess it's time to clear out the carport.

DH is born and bred Victorian, and I keep telling him about our summer storms. Last year was a bit disappointing and he still thinks I've been smoking something when I tell stories about the sky turning green.

Green sky means its time to freak out! lol.

#21 busymumof1&1/2

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

2 car garage here, plus massive shed up the back. Unfortunately as we have only just moved, they still have our unopened boxes. The 3 cars are in the driveway out the front, and the 2 motorbikes are still in storage. Did I mention there are 2 adults and 2 children in this family. Guess which adult has the extra 3 modes of transport dry.gif

Edited by busymumof1&1/2, 16 November 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#22 sa5ha

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

1 car, 1 undercover car spot in the secured car park of the apartment complex we live in.

#23 Excentrique Feral

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (busymumof1&1/2 @ 16/11/2012, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 car garage here, plus massive shed up the back. Unfortunately as we have only just moved, they still have our unopened boxes. The 3 cars are in the driveway out the front, and the 2 motorbikes are still in storage. Did I mention there are 2 adults and 2 children in this family. Guess which adult has the extra 3 modes of transport dry.gif

Does he choose one to match his outfit? Tounge1.gif

#24 *CalamityJane*

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

We have a long skinny garage which *just* fits our 2 cars nose to tail.  We've actually put some padding on the back wall so we can nudge right into it and fit both cars LOL.

#25 MAGS24

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

We have two cars which are always kept in the double garage. Our drive way is also large enough so that one of us can park in the driveway and there is enough for the other car to get past.

One thing I always wonder about is why people use their garages for storage areas and leave their cars out in the weather all the time. The average person spends a lot maintaining, registering and insuring their cars, so why leave them outside when you have a perfectly safe garage to put them in? and insurance is often cheaper if you keep your car in a locked garage at night. Most people need their cars for their everyday lives so are their cars of less value than the items being stored in the garage?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.