Thoughts on the name Billy? (for a boy)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Emmaleee

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Struggling to pick a boys name for baby #1 due early March.

Amongst the favourites are:
Billy
Harry (these are the only two hubby really likes)

Louis
Ari
Micah

Thoughts or suggestions? Not worried about middle name at this stage, will probably be a family name or something. Hubby has fairly plain taste and it takes a long time to convince him or some of the more unusual names I like.

Surname is  N-----son so any names ending with SON or a hard n sound are out- example Jackson, Harrison, Gideon, Finn

#2 la di dah

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

I love Ari and Micah. Billy is short for William to me.

Nothing wrong with it as a nickname for William, either, but it doesn't really stand alone. William doesn't seem too fussy or prim even for a man with plain tastes, its pretty classic and strong?

#3 laridae

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

I don't like Billy just as Billy, prefer as a nickname to William.
I don't think Billy ages well.

Harry is ok.

How about:
Ben
Tom
Tim
Mike
etc if your DH like simple names

You could then go all out with either more unusual longer versions of the name for the actual name, and use his plain & simple name as the nickname
So, Tom could really be Tomas, Tim be Mortimer, Ben could be Benedict, Billy could be Wilhelm, Mike could be Micah etc
Or use more unusual names as the middle name.

#4 No girls here

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

Micah is definitely my favourite and I don't mind Ari. As PP said Billy is too much of a nickname and I don't think suits an adult that well.

#5 tick

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

I think Billy is a great name, but I'd probably go for William or even perhaps Bill on the birth certificate (and never actually call him anything but Billy).

#6 veematt1976

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

I love Billy and Harry. I like boys names that are not too fussy... I have a James, an Adam and a Ryan :-)

#7 B.feral3

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Billy has very negative feelings for me due to a very nasty one I once knew. (Billy was his birth name.)

I like your other names though OP.

#8 copham

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

I agree with PP's. my dad and brothers name is William my dad gets Bill and my brother Billy. I don't like it as a name on its own unless using for a female my friend is Billie.

#9 4kidlets

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Im not a fan of giveing a child a name that you never actually use - ie William but always calling him Billy.

On the other hand  I do agree that Billy is a bit nicknamish for a stand alone name.

Harry is fine as a stand alone name so I would choose that.

#10 Gudrun

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

My favourite is Louis.  It would go in the 'adore' box for me.  You seem to like the 'ee' ending which could point you to a range of options eg Remy, Rory...

Ari I like a lot.

Harry I like too.

Micah is OK.

I wouldn't choose Billy as a stand-alone. But it would work as NN not only to William but also by relation to Willis, Wilfred, Willem, Wilhelm, Gwylim, Wilkie, Liam...

#11 ~Peaches~

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

I LOVE Ari, that is my top pick from your list wub.gif

I really like Billy. I know 3 Billy's and that is their full name, 2 are babies, and one is 26, I've never thought it odd at all that their name is Billy on it's own and not William. Really like Harry as well original.gif

#12 dogsneaker

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

I really like Harry.

I am a fan of old fashioned names for boys. Billy as a nm for William. Not keen on the rest.

#13 Cat People

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

My head says Louis.

However my heart says Billy.  I think it's going to really take off some day soon.  Perhaps more as a girl's name though.  Which is what puts me off the name for a boy.  It's a very cool though.

#14 la di dah

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

post made no sense so I deleted it.

Edited by la di dah, 16 November 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#15 JaneLane

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

My fav is Micah, then Ari.  Billy is OK but most would assume it is a NN for William - although I have never really understood how.  Harry is also alright, NMS but I think of Prince Harry who is a bit of alright  wink.gif

#16 Bomber girl

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

I know two just Billys and I don't mind it. It can always get shortened to Bill later on

#17 la di dah

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (blue4me @ 16/11/2012, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My fav is Micah, then Ari.  Billy is OK but most would assume it is a NN for William - although I have never really understood how.  Harry is also alright, NMS but I think of Prince Harry who is a bit of alright  wink.gif

Prince Harry, really? sick.gif

(And while we're talking nicknames, he's a Henry, but aaanyway)

Bill is short for William by way of Will? A lot of the old English nicknames rhyme as in Patty/Mattie and Polly/Molly and Bob/Rob. Helped distinguish when you had a bunch of living relatives with the same names instead of the current trend of not using a name unless you don't know another soul with it.

#18 kerilyntaryn

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Billy - ok,  prefer William as the full name though
Harry - ok,  prefer Henry

Louis - ok
Ari - ok
Micah - nice

Thomas
Thaddeus
Patrick
Angus
Malachi
Levi
Eli
Elijah
Isaiah
Josiah
Jonah
Lucas
Luca
Marcus

#19 feralangel

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Love the name Billy.

My brother, William, has always been known as Billy and prefers it that way.

Billy is a great name that hasn't become too popular(a good thing).

I'm not keen on Harry (too popular).

#20 Bellefin

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

Friends of mine have a little boy, William is on the birth certificate but they have called him Billy from birth and everyone got used to it. He is only 2 though so I don't know what will happen as he gets older. Can't see them calling him William though.

#21 mini mac

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

Ari, Micah, Harry I'm impartial to.
I really like Billy and Louis. Were both and still are on our shortlist.

#22 FiveAus

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:02 AM

I love the name Billy. I prefer to give the child the name they'll be known as, so I'd be very partial to using Billy as the real name rather than William.

Harry is too old-mannish for me, whereas Billy suits from baby to retiree. Great name!

#23 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

I would definitely use William NN Billy over Billy as a full name. It makes the name more complete and more suitable for every stage of life.

The only other name I like on your list is Micah.

#24 Iris37

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

I really like Billy sounds better to me than William  original.gif .

#25 Emmaleee

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions lovely EBers!

The trouble with a husband who likes simple names is that they're pretty much all already taken by other family members!

Amongst those which are 'unavaliable' are

Michael
Jonathan
Thomas
Matt
James
Rory
Remi
Archie
Daniel
Levi
Elijah
Jack
Andrew

i guess in the end we would be confortable naming baby any of the ones on our list, the rest of the world will have to 'lump it'!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.