Where in Melb to Purchase stuff for Serious Cold (-25 being daytime temperature)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 IsolaBella

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

OK all cold/snow people.

Where in Melb (not online from overseas as will not reach here in time) would you purchase things in November for Serious Cold Conditions (ie. -25 being maximum daytime temperature. -40 overnight is not unusual).

DH may have to go away o/s within the week and where he is going is middle of nowhere so going shopping at destination for appropriate gear is not an option either.

Our current snow stuff is not appropriate. In Switzerland DH was picked as an Aussie on the J Bars by the ski instructors before he had even spoken due to the thinness of his gear.

#2 Soontobegran

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Try  https://www.kathmandu.com.au/?gclid=CLKZptK...CFYsdpQod8joA6g

Should be able to kit up here  original.gif

#3 LambChop

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'd probably start with the mountaineering shops, like eg. http://www.bogong.com.au

#4 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

MAybe the Wilderness Shop in Box Hill.  Would call them first though.

#5 Coffeegirl

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hmmm. I think you'll struggle to find clothing anywhere here to meet those extremes but you could try some of the ski hire places.  

Having grown up in Canada, a really good down jacket and lots of layers will be his friend. Long johns, gloves, hat, face covering, boots.

#6 amabanana

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

I second coffee girl.  It's really important to dress in layers in those conditions.  In -40 we would wear:

1 pair woolen socks
Thermals top and bottom
pants (not jeans!) and long sleeved grandpa style shirt for inside.

Then when I went outside would add another layer of thermals, ski pants, insulated snow boots, wooly jumper and down jacket, long scarf over nose and around neck and wooly hat. I also wore two pairs of gloves.  A woolen mitten under ski gloves. Only eyes out.  Be careful of your ears and nose.
Needless to say we had to spend 15 mins getting dressed anytime we wanted to go outside!

It wasn't usual to spend much time outside in those conditions but we would spend hours out in -20- -25 dressed like that.   With layers you should be able to gets suitable over pants and jacket in Australia.  Will it be windy?  That makes a big difference too in terms of how cold you feel.

I find Australian ski conditions too warm!

#7 IsolaBella

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Yes windy is probable.

We have Aldi thermals and boots from last year (were great skiing near St Moritz last Christmas), np but that was more minus 10 to minus 15. Also purchased inners for gloves and bank robber hoods in Switzerland.

Just jacket and pants which were really not good enough.

Edited by lsolaBella, 16 November 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#8 amabanana

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, I found the Aldi boots aren't that great in terms of keeping your feet warm.  I have no idea where to get something suitable in Aus as I bought OS but we all had fur lined leather boots.

Just had a look at the Bogong site and the high altitude gear looks great.  Maybe you should give them a ring and ask for some advice.  Good luck!

Edited by amabanana, 16 November 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

We found the Aldi boots fine in Switzerland....also worn with thermal socks.

#10 wonder woman

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 16/11/2012, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where in Melb (not online from overseas as will not reach here in time) would you purchase things in November for Serious Cold Conditions (ie. -25 being maximum daytime temperature. -40 overnight is not unusual).

i doubt if he will be spending much time outdoors though?

QUOTE (LambChop @ 16/11/2012, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd probably start with the mountaineering shops, like eg. http://www.bogong.com.au

+1

CBD - Lt Bourke St (between Elizabeth & Queen Sts): Bogong, Paddy Pallin, Snowgum, Mountain Designs, Macpac, Helly Hansen (on Hardware Lane)

Hawthorn - Glenferrie Rd (between Burwood & Barkers Rds): Paddy Pallin (includes national clearance outlet), Snowgum, Mountain Designs, EMC (in Deepdene/Balwyn)

QUOTE (yabbadabbadoo @ 16/11/2012, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MAybe the Wilderness Shop in Box Hill.  Would call them first though.

they had their annual sale a few weekends ago

QUOTE (Coffeegirl @ 16/11/2012, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm. I think you'll struggle to find clothing anywhere here to meet those extremes but you could try some of the ski hire places.

sorry, not true for sports/casual clothing (as per above stores), but perhaps more so with formal/business wear

#11 Delillah1

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Adventureline outlet in Fairfield?
http://www.adventureline.com.au/content/12-factory-outlets

#12 unicycle

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

The row of shops on nepean highway in moorabin, eg mountain design and out sports. Better than Kathmandu, which is also there.

#13 JapNFeral

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Having lived and worked in Scandinavia (Sweden and Denmark), the biggest issue was keeping my feet warm.

Ultimately I had faux fur lined boots that worked. However.
gortex hiking boots that keep feet out of the snow and are waterproof were also really helpful. With thermal socks. Normal hiking or other boots won't cut it.

In Sweden the men wear their heavy boots to work and carry a second pair for indoors.

Agree with thermals under all the layers. Camping supplies should have them.  He will also need to wear double lined gloves, hat and scarf at all times to try and keep out the cold. In that extreme I would go with an inner thermal beanie with something outside.

Anaconda should also have stuff you need. And try the North Face shops for a down jacket.

Good luck. Being in those extreme temps in no joke and you have to be properly layered and wrapped up before stepping outside.

#14 dynamitee

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Paddy pallin outlet store in ringwood.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

She went to a doctor complaining of stomach pains, then had an unexpected operation to remove a decades-old fetus.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.