Correct amount of food
For a small dog

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 enigma

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

I am upset to admit this but I think I may be turning my gorgeous puppy into a big round puppy ;( I think I am feeding him too much and making him just a little fat.
So without physically seeing him what would be the ideal amount of food for a small cav x poodle x Maltese. I had him weighed a yr ago and he was 4.5kilos then. He is 2yrs old. He gets walked for at least 1hr a day and runs around all the time when out, but during the day he is a lap dog and sits and sleeps unless you play with him.
At the moment I am putting his wet food into a bowl and covering the bottom. Roughly between 150-200gms once a day. He does have access to dry food all day which some days he eats a lot and other days he doesn't. As well as access to water all day. Now for the part were I will be chastised. We have been known on the odd occasion to give him some of our tea, 2 or three small bits of chicken or steak.
What would the ideal amount of food be for him?

#2 VioletRose

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

The ideal amount of food is enough to keep him bright eyed and active so his weight is stable. You should be able to feel his ribs but they shouldn't stick out.
As to how much that will be, that really depends on your dog as an individual same as people.

#3 enigma

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

Thnks for that, I love my puppy and would hate to think I am killing him with kindness.
I will check him out when he comes back in. Had his haircut today and is not liking me at the moment lol

#4 Unatheowl

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

The exact amount depends upon the fact, carbohydrate and protein content of the food.  Also then the growth stage, activity level and size of your dog when it becomes an adult.  If you want to get technical there are feeding charts you could consult - probably could google them.

Like a pp said though, enough for him is what keeps him looking healthy within certain parameters.  The best person to advise you would be your vet, particular as your dog is still growing and his requirements will change.

#5 FiveAus

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Take away the dry food, he doesn't need access to food all day, and some kibbles are very concentrated. Ditch the wet food, it's not that good for his teeth and just give him a small amount of kibble once a day, and something else (maybe a small piece of raw chicken) at another time of the day.

He will start to lose weight almost immediately and you can then adjust the amounts to keep his weight stable.

For reference, my Australian Shepherds who are around Border Collie size, get a raw chicken leg each morning.....this gives them a calcium and protein boost for the day, as well as cleans their teeth. Then they get 2/3 to 1 cup of high quality kibble in the evening, with a spoonful of natural yoghurt mixed in.
The two girls who tend to be a bit on the porky side get 2/3 cup, the others get 1 cup. And that's a metric measure, not a large coffee mug as my husband would like to give them.
My heaviest dog weighs around 25 kg, she is one of the ones who gets 2/3 cup, now put that in perspective with the size of your little dog.

Sometimes on the weekends, instead of kibble they get raw lamb bones for their evening meal. If they get treats through the day, they get less dinner at night.

#6 enigma

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

Thank you, I know it's a pretty stupid question, but I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing for him.

#7 kpingitquiet

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Yeah, I'd say nixing the constant dry food access would probably help a LOT. Most dogs I've met don't self-regulate on dry food like a lot of cats do. I can't help on appropriate amounts of food for your little pup but our dogs get 350g wet food and 2 cups dry food, each, per day, and they weigh in at 28kg (the 4yo) and 30kg (the 6yo), perfect for their frames. We add a bit more when they start looking a touch thinner and subtract when they start to pudge.

#8 la di dah

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

The odd occasional bit of chicken/steak isn't what's making him fat, its the all day kibble.

Honestly you could give him chicken everyday and it wouldn't make him fat if the portions were right.

200 grams of wet food plus kibble seems like a lot, to me. Is it really supposed to be all that? That sounds like what my big dogs ate, though they weren't really greedy guts like some cavvies can be. Can you feel his ribs? No cavvie is ever going to look like a lean mean machine, but they should still have bones inside and not feel like a beachball.

#9 enigma

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

Well I put him on the scales today and omg he is nearly 6kilos!!! I had a look at the can of food and it says he should have half a tin plus a half cup of dry food a day. The tin is 440gms (my dog) to me that is far too much. I think I will go see the vet next week and ask them like someone suggested. I love my puppy but don't wan to love him to death

#10 enigma

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

I tried him on a chicken neck, after playing with it and carting it around ally at he then ate it but proceeded to vommit it up.  I think they were too rich for him

QUOTE (la di dah @ 17/11/2012, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The odd occasional bit of chicken/steak isn't what's making him fat, its the all day kibble.

Honestly you could give him chicken everyday and it wouldn't make him fat if the portions were right.

200 grams of wet food plus kibble seems like a lot, to me. Is it really supposed to be all that? That sounds like what my big dogs ate, though they weren't really greedy guts like some cavvies can be. Can you feel his ribs? No cavvie is ever going to look like a lean mean machine, but they should still have bones inside and not feel like a beachball.

I can feel his ribs but only of I push hard. I can't easily find them

#11 EsmeLennox

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Depends a bit on the dog too, so it might be best to get advice from the vet. Weight stability is what you want to achieve. Your dog may not need as much food as recommended if it is putting on weight. Our dog, for example, eats twice the recommended amount for a dog of her size, but she is ultra skinny and active all day (read never.bloody.stops) and our vet said it was fine to feed her more because she uses it up in the sheer amount of activity every day. I walk her 5k every day, and then she still runs most of the day.

Edited by Jemstar, 17 November 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#12 la di dah

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (enigma @ 17/11/2012, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I put him on the scales today and omg he is nearly 6kilos!!! I had a look at the can of food and it says he should have half a tin plus a half cup of dry food a day. The tin is 440gms (my dog) to me that is far too much. I think I will go see the vet next week and ask them like someone suggested. I love my puppy but don't wan to love him to death

No offense and I don't mean to sound rude but if he ate all that, your 6 kg dog would be eating as much  or more than mine that were more than twice his size. That seems  a lot of food to stuff down a small spaniel. blink.gif

Is he a puppy or an adult dog? I don't advise anything about feeding puppies as I've only had adults.

If he is an adult and you cannot easily find his ribs, he's over-fat if not over-weight. I'm glad you're on top of bringing it under control, as fat little dogs can have terrible problems with their knees and with their hearts.

#13 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, I'd check with a vet before doing anything too drastic, especially with a mixed breed whose ideal weight may not be easily worked out just from breed averages. My maltese X weighed around 8-9kgs which the vet said was a little overweight, now she's down to 7.5kgs, larger than your dog but a good weight for her. I also leave dry food out all day. The packet says she should be eating around half a cup a day and I'd be surprised if she actually ate that much, she tends to get a few mouthfuls three or four times a day.

#14 enigma

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

No offence taken. I couldn't believe the amount they suggested as well. I use to buy the little tins of dog food as he was so fussy(still is) and they were 100g on the back of that they suggested feeding 1-3 tins a day(I think) so that's 300gms. He doesn't eat his dry food all day. And why we do put it out its only about 50gms.
He is just over 2yrs old. I think a trip to the vets is needed plus he needs his vaccinations done.....poor puppy lol

#15 BlueUnicorn

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Can you feed him raw chicken necks?  We find our dog is much healthier eating that than when we feed him commercial dog food. Much leaner and a lot less round.  He's 5 kgs and gets 3/4 chicken necks of a night, about 100-150gr. ..or a 'my dog' sized portion if he's having commercial food. He usually eats a few pieces of the fruit we leave out for the birds of a morning, and occasionally he has leftover eggs for breaky.  He was overweight at around 6.5 kgs, when we had him on dry food and pal every night, and a lot less 'sparky'.

#16 enigma

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Tried him on the chicken necks and it didn't agree with him. And he loves his fruit too lol, especially rockmelon and watermelon, but thy have to be cut up small and he likes to be hand fed them.......does he sound spoilt lol
Thank you everyone for your advice and ideas. Like I have said many times he is such a big part of the family and I would hate for anything to happen to him especially if it is because I haven't been feeding him correctly.

#17 la di dah

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

I know it sounds strange but if he's really weirded out about smaller portions, you can give him steamed vegetables or veggies in chicken broth, to bulk out the portion of meat. It cuts some calories without being a drastic drop in quantity. Do talk to your vet though.

What kind of food are you giving him? Some of them are not very good.

#18 wenchwitch

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

I would ditch the kibble and canned dog meat. I cook up a big batch of dog food at a time and portion it into ziplocks some of which I freeze. Cook rice either white or brown add some pet mince (Leonards sell it for $1.50 per kg) and a bag of frozen veggies. You can add a tbsp of vegetate too but I have never met a dogthat isn't happy to eat this.

#19 mummabear

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

My lovable mongrel is 7kg, and I give him 1 cup of Advance dry kibble a day, plus one of those individual foil tins of wet food (or the equivalent amount).

He is in perfect condition! original.gif Not sure if that helps any... our other dog is a Jack Russel and she gets one foil patty and about 1/4 of a cup of Advance kibbles. She can sometimes be a bit on the heavy side! But she is only about 4.5kg.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Outrage over baby's icy challenge

A man has been reported to child protective services after taking the ALS ice bucket challenge with his 10-month-old granddaughter.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.