Pregnancy constipation

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Rolex

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Please share with me your remedies.  I'm only 7 weeks, and the last two days have been awful.  I have a background history of IBS, but during pregnancy is always worse.  However, I don't remember it starting this early before.

In the past I've drunk a glass of metamucil each day which helped, but this pregnancy I have all day nausea sick.gif and I just don't think I could stomach the metamucil.

I should get back onto my probiotics, I know.  I am remembering correctly that they are safe in pregnancy I think?  Can't think why they wouldn't be?  Just the IBS Support, I use.

Thanks!

#2 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

No idea about pro-biotics, the pharmascist will though.

More water than you could possible know what to do with.

Pear juice and pears are better than prune juice (and tastier)

Avoid bananas, potatoes, white bread and flour, rice...anything binding if you can manage it until you can go again, then only a little bit at a time.

the chemist sells self-enemas that will work but are pretty gross (although better than the real thing take it from me!)

All the best, it sucks sad.gif

#3 weepingangel

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Pear juice original.gif

#4 big adventure

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Psyllium husk - best thing ever!  Takes a day or two before it works, but then it's great.  Either with lots of water and slam it down fast, or let it turn into a gel and mix it in with yoghurt or something.  Tasteless, but when you have it in water it has the same sensation as lots of pulp in orange juice.  (Personally, I can't stand pulp and it made me throw up once when I was pregnant, but if I had it with heaps of water it wasn't too bad.)

#5 delboy

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

When on hospital bed rest and suffering quite badly with constipation (through lack of moving more than anything) the nursing staff ordered kiwi fruit milkshakes for me, they are made skin and all and work a treat! Good luck

#6 Rolex

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Thank you original.gif  I will pick up some pear juice this afternoon and start with that.  I'd forgotten about that one.  Will taste better than metamucil so might go down easier!

I got quite depressed this afternoon, imagining being like this for the next 33 weeks!  Dramatic I know, but gosh it's uncomfortable.

#7 Nut

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

I had issues with both my pregnancies. I found eating dried apricots was the best. Dried pears work too.

Metamucil for some can make it worse as well. It can clog things up and cause more of a blockage.

#8 porkchop's mama

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

OP, I'm not sure if Osmolax or Movicol are safe with your bowel condition but I had to use them for most of the first and second tri.  In addition to dates, psyllium, prunes and lots of water and exercise.

Osmolax is much less salty than Movicol but it does have a musty smell.  I added a bit of ginger ale to the water when mixing it up.  

HTH

#9 Escapin

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Kiwi fruit (including skin if you can stand it) is the best solution.

For little kids (and I assume adults), you just need to remember BRAT: Banana, rice, apple, toast. These will block things up. So avoid them! I find blueberries also a problem for DD so maybe avoid them too?

#10 BJBubbles

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Coloxyl (without Senna). Over the counter from the chemist. MY OB recommends it if needed. Saved me a lot of pain in my first trimester!

BUT, with IBS,  I don't think it's really recommended to use stool softeners (or immodium etc for the opposite problem)  but I'm sure you already know that!

So I'm not much help, am I?

#11 PureBliss

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

I too have a history of IBS, and suffered terribly with constipation during pregnancy.

I tried everything suggested above but didn't find it to help unfortunately,  I was living on kiwi, dried apricots, water , psyllium, you name it!

I finally ended up having bowel surgery and was given lactulose to keep things soft during recovery (was still pregnant.) . You take a shot of it each day. Its incredibly sweet, so not awful. Buy it over the counter at the chemist.

Once things were regular, I found Pear juice (I drank it diluted with boiling water  so it was warm) was great, every morning. For me the lactulose was better at getting things going, the pear juice to maintain.

Good luck, there is nothing worse! I wish I had discovered the lactulose so much earlier!

#12 bettinae

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hi there I am 11.5 weeks and I am taking Zofran and have been soooo blocked up and now with the vomiting undercontrol more going in but nothing comming out ..... sad.gif and really crampy yuk

I called mothersafe (they are great for medications and oking them) and I used micrlax 2 days in a row they did work but just to move the bolk but today NOTHING so I just went to chemiest and got LACTULOSE and then metamucil as well 3 times a day......???? will just have to see and hope for the best........ I did try pears they were yummy but didn't help lol xxxxx

GOODLUCK xxxx

#13 Lokum

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Nut @ 16/11/2012, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had issues with both my pregnancies. I found eating dried apricots was the best. Dried pears work too.

Apricots for me. And dates. And even orange juice, which I take 100ml of with my iron supplement,  sick.gif .

Keeps things moving, even though it's still black,  sick.gif sick.gif sick.gif

#14 Rolex

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

So many great ideas, thank you so much!  I do have movicol here, but wasn't sure if it was safe in pregnancy.  Lactulose I haven't used before but my son who has a bowel condition, was on it for a long time, so I know it well.

I tried to get in with my GP today to discuss my options but he was fully booked.  I'm seeing him on Wednesday, but I will try a lot of the remedies here before I see him.

Thanks again, I didn't expect so many replies.  I guess, unfortunately, this is a common problem!  Ahhh pregnancy, so glamourous, aint it? wink.gif

#15 Eirinn

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

The thing that worked for me was flaxseed/linseed meal - huge amounts over cereal and in smoothies.

#16 cordyline

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

I agree withe the suggestions of pear juice

BUT I would do it on a day when you have no commitments. I drank 3 glasses of it on a Saturday morning. And by 4pm needed to be close to a toilet until the next morning when things were all sorted.

The once things were *ahem* "unblocked" I would be fine for another 2-3 weeks and then have to repeat the process. One of the things I wont miss about being pregnant.

#17 ~ky~

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Kiwifruit nectar ... Works wonders!

#18 Pearson

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE (Rolex @ 16/11/2012, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So many great ideas, thank you so much!  I do have movicol here, but wasn't sure if it was safe in pregnancy.  Lactulose I haven't used before but my son who has a bowel condition, was on it for a long time, so I know it well.

I tried to get in with my GP today to discuss my options but he was fully booked.  I'm seeing him on Wednesday, but I will try a lot of the remedies here before I see him.

Thanks again, I didn't expect so many replies.  I guess, unfortunately, this is a common problem!  Ahhh pregnancy, so glamourous, aint it? wink.gif

Metamucil do capsules - so you dont have to taste it  DH has had to take medication that binds him up and he cant stomach metamucil - bad gag factor, so just adds a couple of these to the medication he has to take.

As an ongoing:
Benefibre in your water/juice/milk/coffee/dinner/breakfast? It really doesn't change the taste etc.

#19 stephmd85

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

I just want to second the exercise suggestion as this is often underestimated. I'm taking two magnesium capsules before bed and eating prunes. Going to give the pear juice a try because the bonus is that's tasty! glamorous yes!!

#20 Duck-o-lah

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Ugh, constipation was a major issue with DS. I found prunes and prune juice were effective. I took metamucil, however I have read that if you don't drink enough water it can actually make things worse!

Wish I'd known about the pear juice, probably more palatable than the prune juice! If it helps OP the constipation did ease once I got through the first trimester, hope it does for you too original.gif

#21 maeby

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

Have porridge or muesli for breakfast (it's the oats that are beneficial), and plenty to drink.

#22 mi-mi

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

I'm having the same issues sad.gif i feel alittle silly but can anyone tell me where to find pear juice?!? I've looked in the juice/cordial and fridge sections without success

#23 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Metamucil actually has a tablet form - just drink it with lots of water. I had that, the drink form was foul.

#24 Rolex

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I'm embarrassed to now say, as of last night, it's caused haemorrhoids sad.gif  I'm in agony today sad.gif  I've had sultana bran with pears and peaches for breakfast, more pears for lunch, and salad for dinner.  I've also drunk a full 850ml tin of pear juice across the day, as well as about 2 litres of water.  My God I hope this clears up quickly.  I was in tears earlier sad.gif

ETA, been snacking on dried apricots, too!

Edited by Rolex, 17 November 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#25 Lokum

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

Rolex - I literally feel your pain. I've got problems from weight/pressure rather than constipation, and it's horrific. You're doing the right things, so I hope it doesn't suddenly swing too far the other way!

Mi-Mi - tinned juices often include pear. Otherwise, homemade (with juicer, or food processor and squeezed through a strainer) is excellent, because you keep heaps of pulp and therefore fibre.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.