am i crazy?!
wanting another baby already..

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 keepnthafaith

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Soo....DS is 8 months and i badly want just 1 more, like now!!! (if im not already that is!)

Anyone else have babies this close? was it really hard?

#2 Kwyjibo

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

My idea of a nightmare.

So yes, you are crazy  biggrin.gif

#3 bikingbubs

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

I dont think you are crrazy (see my sig!) It was around 8 months we started talking about it, and when DS was 10 months old I was pregnant original.gif
It was hard work being pregnant second time around with a toddler in full swing, but I think every age gap has its pros and cons...its about figuring out what is right for your little family original.gif

#4 Chelli

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

I had a surprise pregnancy when my DD was about that age, so there is a relatively small age gap between two of my DDs. Yes it was hard as I also had an older child who was at school so sleep time was a challenge during the day. They are the best of friends though and always have been. They are a year apart at school so it can be tricky sometimes if one is in a composite class for example and start wanting to hang out with kids in the class who are her elder/younger sister's friends. Things like that I didn't think of before. It hasn't been too much of an issue though, but if they were more competitive then there would be arguments I'm sure.

I wanted a reasonably small age gap between my first two children, but ended up with unexplained secondary infertility, so that is something else to consider. It took two years of TTC to meet DD3, which is why number three was a surprise, lol.

#5 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

2 of mine are 13 months apart, I fell pg(unplanned) when dd was 4 months old - crazy, absolutely crazy.  I wouldn't recommend it, I really didn't get to enjoy each of them as I would have liked because the workload was relentless.
In hindsight it would have been much nicer if dd was at kindy then I had ds and it we would have had some time just him and I.

#6 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

I wanted another baby since DS was 6 weeks old and we started trying for number 2 when he was 5 and a bit months old. Unfortunately due to breastfeeding it took 6 months to conceive number 2, and all going well there will be a 21 month gap between them.

We would have preferred to have them closer in age but it wasn't in our control.

I don't think you're crazy original.gif

#7 Honeycowz

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

If your really sure thats what you want then go for it. I won't lie to you though. It is HARD...REALLY HARD. DS was 6 month old when I found out I was 5 weeks pregnant. The first year was all a blur. I don't remember much but now it is fantastic. DS is 4 and DD is 3 and they are inseperable. Yes, they have their little tiffs and squabbles but they are always short lived. They entertain each other and lve doing everything together. So yes the first year o two was hard, and I didn't enjooy much of it, but now it is fantastic and I wouldn't change it.

#8 us plus two

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

My girls are 17 months apart, so dd1 was 8 months when I fell pregnant. Dd2 was planned, although we had started trying a few months before that, I got pregnant but unfortunately I had a mc. You're not crazy! It was hard at the start, but gets so much easier (well in my experience it does). I think you just learn to manage and make it work.

#9 lozoodle

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

DD1 was about 8 months old when I got super clucky and wanted another, though held off trying for a while.

DD2 was around that age too.

I think they are just super cute and easy at that age that you go "awwwwww, another one!"

#10 TwoHeadedGirl

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

As someone with two very close together; yes, you are crazy! I might change my mind in a few years but I'm finding it hard. Real hard.

#11 Roobear

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

I have 18 months between my two and I love it original.gif

Some days are difficult but most are great, wouldn't change it for anything.

#12 Quack Quack

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

I have 16 months between my oldest 2 ( who are now 18 & 17)  It was crazy at the time, for me! the two boys are the best of mates and always have been.

For me... it felt like almost having twins, but worse!  I had one going out of each stage as the next was just coming into it.  That said though, it was really only that crazy until the youngest was about 18 months old, then it was fine.
I'm not sorry I had them that close as it has turned out well for each of them, Although I have a brother who is only 18 months older than me and it wasn't easy.  We hated each other most of our childhoods... and now we barely speak.  Just nothing in common and no common ground to bond over.  
so I guess its more or less the luck of the draw wink.gif

#13 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

I fell pregnant with DS was 8 months. Should be interesting to see how it goes! It was planned as we simply don't have age on our side and we want 3 children.

#14 JustBeige

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Nope dont think you are crazy. I purposely only have 14mths between mine.   It was a bit harder when both were still babies, but it didnt last long.

So I say, if it suits your family set up, then why not!. original.gif

#15 Oriental lily

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

I started ttc my third when my second was 10months old. It took five months to get pregnant and she was born six days before my second turned two.

I should of waited longer.

I would never do the toddler baby combo again. Horrible, stressful.

I had a five year gap between my first and second and that was great. Loved it.

DH s now begging for a fourth child and my youngest is now two. I will wait another two years before even considering it.

By then my age (I will be 38) might be the deciding factor.

But if you have time on your side I would recommend waiting for at least another year.

But this is just my experience. Many people have kids close together and are fine with it.

#16 The3Monkeys

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

yep, I think you are. I have an 18 month gap and with hindsight it was too soon. I developed PND though, so felt very overwhelmed. I did go on to have # 3 though......4.5 yrs after # 2 mind you.

Looking back, if i was thinking straight I propbably should have waited a bit longer and spent more time with the baby I already had.

In saying that, its only my experience, its personal, and no two people are the same. What you should do can only be decided by you and hubby! I do certainly understand the clucky feelings!

My eldest 2 are now 6 and 7 and I still find it hard!

#17 Bel Rowley

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

For me, you are crazy, but I realise things work differently for different families. Both of my babies were such hard work, DD was almost a year old before I could cope with the thought of another. Now DS is 20 months old and despite having always wanted 3 kids I'm not sure I could handle it. It's only in the last couple of months that I've felt the slightest bit clucky again.

#18 Natttmumm

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

We started to TTC number 2 when DD1 was about 9 months or so. They are 22 months apart as it took a couple of months.

The negative parts were - DD1 did not get to be a baby for long - I only see that now when I look back. she had to grow up a bit quicker than DD2 has. Not much sleep - both had their days of being awake. When they were sick together it was really hard. Mine are now 3 and 5 and there is alot of competition between them and they do fight.

Good parts - by the time DD2 was 1 - they sort of had the same routine eating and sleeping and still do. They play together and enjoy the same things. things are eaier now and the baby stage would be over - except number 3 is on its way soon.

Thats my 2 cents worth

#19 ~Peaches~

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

I don't think you're crazy original.gif I was really clucky after DD1 was born, and we decided we would like to have our kids close together. It took us a year (and a m/c) to fall pregnant with DD1, so we definitely didn't think it would happen anytime soon for us. By total surprise, I fell pregnant when DD1 was only 6 months old, she was still fully breastfed and I hadn't even had my cycle return yet huh.gif So I was completely surprised to find out I was pregnant lol.

DD2 was born the day before DD1 turned 15 months. It was really hard work in the beginning, but I contributed most of that to DD2 being SUCH a difficult baby. She would have been difficult no matter what the age gap (she screamed all day long and never slept), but having a 15 month old to look after too was tough. And I often felt guilty that I couldn't give either of my girls my full attention, it was just really hard there for months.
BUT now DD2 is 18 months old and isn't quite so difficult, and I can see how well they get along and how much they love each other, it was all worth it to me wub.gif They would be lost without each other now, and are the best of friends, they just want to do everything together! It completely melts my heart seeing how much they adore one another. So to me, all the hard times in the beginning were worth it. I definitely wouldn't choose a 15 months gap again lol, but 18 months+ seemed more manageable to me. We're planning on a 2.5 year gap next time, so it will be interesting to see if it's as crazy or not lol.
So as long as you're prepared that your next baby could be completely different to your first (I wasn't at all, I just assumed I'd have another really 'easy' baby, I was so wrong!), and that it's more than likely going to be busy and hectic and difficult in the beginning, then I'd consider it original.gif

You'll know what works best for your little family, I'm definitely not one that could have a 5+ year gap, as much as I can see the benefits of that, I've just always wanted my children close and to grow up together, so it suits our family this way original.gif Good luck OP x

#20 IBakeBoys

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

I think it depends on how many you want, I love that sort of age gap, but ended up having 4 (all quite close - see sig!) and if I had a do over I probably would have spread the gaps out to closer to 2 years I think? But when I had just the first two, I loved it original.gif

And it is good now, just very busy and hard work, and I think DS1 has had to grow up a bit faster than he otherwise would have due to me always having been pregnant or breastfeeding.

#21 liveworkplay

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yes, yes you are.

#22 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

I'm nearly 23 wks pregnant and DS3 is 10.5 months old.

#23 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Completely crackers.

#24 angelinaballerina

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

I wanted to start TTC our next one when our DD was about 3 weeks. We have been blessed with a really easy going placid baby.

In reality we are waiting until she is 5 months old because I don't want morning sickness over summer when we have holidays and concerts planned.

#25 Walkers

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

No I dont think you are crazy.I have a 13 month gap between 2 of my girls, they are now aged 8 & 9 and are best buddies. They were easy babies and I don't remember it being too difficult.My little two have 15 months between them and the first year wasn't easy due to the youngest being a horrid sleeper. He is now 18 months and things are getting much easier.

Edited by FoxyRetro*Gal, 16 November 2012 - 03:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the DVD release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s preschool or daycare centre!

Touching memorial service for siege victim Katrina Dawson

In a moving memorial attended by more than 1500 people, the mother of three and talented barrister was remembered as an "extraordinary" woman.

Lyndey Milan's 10 best baking tips

Whipping up a cake or biscuits need never instil fear again.

Princess of Sweden pregnant with second baby

Princess Madeleine of Sweden is expecting her second baby, only 10 months after her first.

Video: Kids excited by world's worst Christmas gifts

Struggling to find last minute stocking fillers before Santa's visit this week? If this cute video is anything to go by just raid the fruit bowl in order to keep your kids happy.

Elton John and David Furnish marry after 21 years together

British musician Elton John has married his long-term partner David Furnish, converting their civil partnership after laws allowing gay marriage in Britain came into force this year.

Gorgeous toddler Izzy a model of diversity

With her blond curls and winning smile, it's not surprising little Izzy Bradley was chosen to appear in a toy catalogue for Target in the US.

Mother arrested over deaths of eight children

The mother of seven of the eight children found dead in a Cairns home yesterday has been arrested over their deaths, according to police.

Facebook appeal saves labouring woman's life

A plea for help posted on Facebook helped save the life of a pregnant woman who had spent days in labour in a remote part of Papua New Guinea.

Can nits be romantic?

And so I face the prospect of a Christmas with nits. It was inevitable, really, given the matter of my daughter's recent outbreak.

Former 'N Sync bandmate confirms news of Timberlake-Biel baby

It seems the cat is out of the bag if Joey Fatone is to be believed.

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the DVD release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s preschool or daycare centre!

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.