Stealing their thunder
Announcing a pregnancy before BIL's wedding

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Betty_D

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

DH and I are planning number two and have decided to start TTC next month. We're keen on a 2-3 yr gap between kids.

If all goes well (and trust me, I'm well aware that it often doesn't) I will be 14 weeks pregnant at my BIL's wedding. Given it's my second pregnancy, I'm sure I'll pop a lot sooner, so I doubt that I'd be able to keep it under wraps by that point.

I didn't foresee any issues with this, until my MIL came over yesterday and, in the context of another discussion about someone else, made the following comment:

"I hate it when people steal other people's thunder. It would be like you and DH getting pregnant before or after BIL's wedding. You just don't do that!"

I think I went a little pale, because that's exactly what we're planning on doing. I never thought of it in that way. Their wedding is a wonderful, family celebration and I would hate to think that anyone, particularly the bride and groom, would think of us as stealing the focus away from them.

So, my questions are:

Am I being selfish?

If yes, how long should we wait so we're not "stealing the limelight"?

Or, is this just hogwash and we should conceive when WE want to? unsure.gif

#2 Mpjp is feral

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

OMG how utterly ridiculous. I've never heard anyone say anything like that. Plus, being your second, and only 14 weeks (good planning by the way) you may find there is not as much fuss anyway! I assumee you are not going to get up and make some huge announcement at the wedding? I'd ignore her...

#3 Lyn29

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (Betty_D @ 16/11/2012, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This. Some people overthink it. There's no need to synchronise everyones' lives!

#4 bakesgirls

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

You're not being selfish. Your MIL on the other hand sounds like a twit.

I personally would take issue with someone else telling me and my DH when it would be OK to fall pregnant. It happens when it happens. It doesn't happen to anyone else schedule, and I wouldn't hold off just to fit into somebody else idea of when it would be a good time for us to concieve. The decision doesn't involve them.

So yes, your MIL's idea is hogwash. Good luck original.gif

#5 His Boy Elroy

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

What a load of cr@p.

Giving birth at the wedding however would be stealing their thunder.

#6 Propaganda

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

I think you'd only be being rude and stealing the thunder if you announced it at their wedding.

#7 MintyBiscuit

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Just TTC when it works for you. I think unless you plan on giving a wedding speech that is all about your pregnancy, it's just a non issue wink.gif

When I got pregnant with DS, it turned out that I would be 12 weeks the weekend of my sister's wedding. I was a bit worried about stealing her thunder, particularly as we've had some issues in the past around weddings and family stuff, but it was all good. We ended up telling close family at about 10 weeks once we'd seen a heartbeat and just got them to stay quiet until 12 weeks. I got lots of congratulations at the wedding, but it certainly wasn't a matter of stealing her thunder - in fact she mentioned it to a few of her friends at the wedding because she was excited about becoming an aunty!

If it were me I'd just try to tell your BIL as early as you're comfortable, and maybe other family who will be involved with the wedding.

Good luck with your TTC journey original.gif

Edited by HollyOllyOxenfree, 16 November 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#8 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

I think you and your MIL need to go to Control Freaks Anonymous - you are both getting waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of yourselves here.

#9 missy78

Uh, that is ridiculous. I would also assume you aren't planning on making a huge announcement at the wedding.

#10 Velouria

I feel sad that this is something you even have to worry about! Whilst her comment is ludicrous I can understand you mulling over it. Please don't let it affect your plans - maybe do the old 'why would you say something like that?' line next time she cracks out another helpful remark.

#11 darcswan

QUOTE (Betty_D @ 16/11/2012, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DH and I are planning number two and have decided to start TTC next month. We're keen on a 2-3 yr gap between kids.

If all goes well (and trust me, I'm well aware that it often doesn't) I will be 14 weeks pregnant at my BIL's wedding. Given it's my second pregnancy, I'm sure I'll pop a lot sooner, so I doubt that I'd be able to keep it under wraps by that point.

I didn't foresee any issues with this, until my MIL came over yesterday and, in the context of another discussion about someone else, made the following comment:

"I hate it when people steal other people's thunder. It would be like you and DH getting pregnant before or after BIL's wedding. You just don't do that!"

I think I went a little pale, because that's exactly what we're planning on doing. I never thought of it in that way. Their wedding is a wonderful, family celebration and I would hate to think that anyone, particularly the bride and groom, would think of us as stealing the focus away from them.

So, my questions are:

Am I being selfish?

If yes, how long should we wait so we're not "stealing the limelight"?

I don't think anyone should be deterred from living life because someone is getting married.  

Just don't plan to announce your pregnancy at the wedding and you'll be fine.

#12 Apageintime

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Propaganda @ 16/11/2012, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you'd only be being rude and stealing the thunder if you announced it at their wedding.

This. Wear a loose dress, and hold off announcing until after if you really think it'll cause trouble. If you dress right it shouldn't be too obvious. people might suspect but at that stage it could just be weight gain so I doubt anyone will actually ask.

#13 lozoodle

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

The only idiot in this scearnio is your MIL.

Just see what happens original.gif

No one is that interested in subsequent pregnancies anyway lol (dont mean that in a bad way, just that i don't think its really going to steal anyone's thunder in terms of the wedding).

Edited by lozoodle, 16 November 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#14 julz78

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

That is just plain stupid you can't be expected to put yoru life on hold just because someone in your family is getting married. What a load of rubbish. If you do happen to conceive around the same time he gets married then yes it would probably be good manners to let them have their moment in the sun and hold off making any announcements until a short while after the wedding.

#15 I'm Batman

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Its your life, your life is about you. Get pregnant whenever you want, if your body allows. Pregnancy, conception is such a marvellous miracle when you get down to it, I find it hard to believe someone would think you need to pace the milestones and life events around in the family so people dont get jealous.    

MIL is a twit.

#16 Three Of Hearts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (His Boy Elroy @ 16/11/2012, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a load of cr@p.

Giving birth at the wedding however would be stealing their thunder.

tthumbs.gif

#17 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

That is just madness OP, you would be crazy to wait if this timing suits you best.     A wedding is such a big event, that your pregnancy is not going to steal their thunder, especially on the actual day, which will still all be about them.   There is no way I would be taking anyone's wedding into consideration when planning when to expand my family.

FWIW, I fell pregnant with my third just as my SILs were both due to have their 1st babies, and didn't want to steal their thunder, so just kept quiet as they enjoyed showing off their babies to everyone.    I was able to keep it a secret for 20 weeks, mainly because I still looked pregnant after DS, who was born 2 years beforehand, but also because everyone was so preoccupied by their own lives with the new babies coming along that they were too busy to notice my tummy expanding slightly.      

Perhaps you could wait until a couple of weeks after their wedding to announce the pregnancy if you feel that saying anything beforehand will make things tense, and just wear clothes that don't reveal your bump (particularly at the wedding!).     Personally, I don't think you should need to go to that amount of effort, especially as I don't think announcing a pregnancy should have any impact on their wedding, but I know that in some families anything that can be done to keep the peace is worth it.

#18 DaddysGurl

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

OMG.. this is RIDICULOUS!!!
Of course you are not being selfish..

You can't put your life on hold cuz of something like that.. and if they are family.. they would be happy for you..not petty about you stealing "someone's thunder"...

I say.. plan it according to what works for you and DH..

Good Luck xx original.gif

#19 Betty_D

Thanks for the sanity check, everyone. I thought her POV was a little strange.

If all goes well, we definitely won't be making any announcements at the wedding itself.  

And trust me, I'm well aware that the TTC journey can be a little unpredictable!

#20 Ianthe

What a load of bollocks. I was pregnant at two of my brother's weddings. Of course I totes only did this to steal the thunder from them.

#21 la di dah

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

I think waterbirthing at the reception would be gauche.

Really I wouldn't announce it at the wedding, choosing either a few weeks before or at least some other occasion after. Beyond that I would not stress it. You are not doing it to showboat.

#22 FeralZombieMum

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Oh yes, I totally agree with your MIL and she has a very logic and valid point.

How dare you have more children whilst a family member has a wedding!!! Don't you know that should take centre stage for the next 5 years!

Now, presuming the new couple want to start a family straight away, you also don't want to steal their thunder when they have their first child, so you should do the right thing and postpone from having kids for another 10+ years.

Actually, how selfish of you to even have a child now! You must put current child up for adoption asap, you don't want to have guests at the wedding taking some focus off the bride and groom and ask about your little one, I am sure your MIL will be most upset at you for stealing their thunder on the day!

If you don't own a home at the moment and are planning on doing so in the near future, make sure you also postpone that. Same goes for job promotions!!!

Now getting back to planning your family, it just occurred to me that:
Each child should be spaced at least 10 years apart - that way when these kids are grown up, they have a window of 10 years to be the only one doing these things - it will make it so much easier when you think about it.

Oh...come to think of it..maybe space the first generation of kids 20 year apart - that then allows the next generation to have their kids 10 years apart, this will ensure the 3rd generation then have a big enough gap - 4th generations won't matter as they will be distant relatives.
That is assuming of course that you're all only planning on 2 kids per family.

As you seem so clueless in all this, you must consult your MIL asap about your sex life.
Ask her when would be a good time to have your next child, because you had planned to have your kids about 2-3 years apart like so many other people (oh, maybe it's your BIL stealing YOUR thunder???? Perhaps pose that Q to your MIL?)

Ask your wonderful MIL if it would be wrong for you to be expecting when SIL's also expecting? What about when their child has their first birthday? Would you be stealing their thunder to be pregnant then?

Oh dear...it's just way too complicated. I think you should forget about having any more kids. It's just so wrong of you to be wanting to "steal" someone else's thunder like this! Can't believe you were even considering it! How rude!

#23 gemgirl

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

I like how she said 'before or after' - that means you can never get pregnant! Ignore her.

#24 Relish*

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Betty_D @ 16/11/2012, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So when is it okay for you to get pregnant if not before OR after the wedding?! wink.gif I think it's ridiculous. You can plan a wedding but you can't plan the exact time you'll get pregnant. Good luck TTC!

#25 gemgirl

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

That said, someone brought framed ultrasound pictures to our wedding!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.