Accommodation - Update post 13
In Singapore & Dubai

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 B.feral3

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

We're heading over to the UK next year. When travelling with the kids we always stop for at least one night in each direction. It gives us a shower and a bed before jumping onto that next horrid long haul flight.

Emirates have the best fares at the moment for our dates and destination so we've decided on 2 nights in Singapore on the way over and 2 nights in Dubai coming home.

I was after some accommodation recommendations in these cities. Central to everything, not necessarily the cheapest place. Also, who has taken kids to Dubai? Is there more to do than just shop? Sightseeing options would be great if anyone knows first hand.

Thanks.  original.gif

Edited by Bek+3, 17 March 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#2 Apageintime

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Singapore has some great accomodation down on sentosa island which would be great for kids. Its right near universal studios.

Singapore is pretty cheap to get around (even if you stick to taxi's).

Dubai, there's indoor skiing, some great mosques, beaches if you like swimming. The old school would be interesting if your kids are school aged (Al Ahmadiya School). You can also ride camels. There would be plenty to do for kids on a stopover in Dubai I think.

#3 Fabulous

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

We stayed at the Intercontinental hotel in Singapore last year with our kids and really liked it. We caught the train from the airport to our hotel which was a breeze. It is in a central location and there is an indoor shopping centre joined to the hotel

#4 carls888

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

In Singapore we like the Intercontinental or the Ritz Carlton.

C

#5 2bundles

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Marina Bay Sands. A swim in the rooftop pool is an experience in itself!  
On Sentosa Island, we found the Festive Hotel was the only one with family rooms.

Dubai - Atlantis to stay. Try Arabian Adventures for a desert tour.

#6 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Dubai - heaps of stuff for kids to do. Wild wadi water park, ski Dubai (indoor snow skiing, I kid you not), ice skating, kidzania, Arabian adventures tour.

#7 B.feral3

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

This is perfect feedback. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much. It better to hear it from people who have been there and done that than pick something from a website or brochure.

Thanks again.
Oh, and I had no idea there was so much to do in Dubai. We thought we'd be shopping and looking at buildings for 2 days!!

#8 dynamitee

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

We stopped over in Dubai for three nights in june and stayed at the Atlantis.  Kids refused to leave the hotel because of the water park.  Plus they got to swim with the dolphins.  I wish we'd stayed a week.  And the food, oh the food ...

The other similar option on the mainland is jumeirah beach hotel - it also has a water park attached.  

If you are going during the summer season you pretty much won't want to do anything else.  It was 44 degrees when we were there.

#9 B.feral3

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Bugger. I've looked at the Atlantis through Emirates own stop over packages site and accommodation booking sites and they all say that we exceed that maximum amount of guests for one room.  ddown.gif It looks fantastic though. WOW!!! I'll call them on Monday and double check. When I leave out our then 20 month old we can stay but if I put him in we can't!!

Off to Google the other recommendations. Thanks again.

#10 babychacha

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

We stayed here for a few weeks. Serviced apartments. Not that you'll need to do any washing or want to cook dinner but its nice to have a mini kitchen.

Its above a shopping centre with supermarket, food outlets, etc.

Great swimming pool, small indoor and outdoor play areas for kids. Its about 10 mins from the main shopping drag - Orchard Road - which I preferred but still had everything going on.

http://www.greatworld.com.sg/facilities.html

#11 iwanttosleepin

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Would recommend Jumeirah Beach hotel in Dubai.  Great Location.  Free access to the Wild Wadi water park and heaps of restaurants onsite.

Atlantis also a great place, but not as close to the rest of Dubai.

#12 B.feral3

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Just bumping this thread.... life has got in the way and we still haven't booked anything.

I am having a lot of trouble finding anywhere that will allow all 5 of us in the one room.

My question though, would you recommend we stay on Sentosa Island or in the more central district? We thing we might visit the zoo or aquarium while we are there. Not sure yet. We're only there for 2 nights on route to London.

Also, hotels around Clarke Quay seem more reasonably prices. Is this really out of the way though in terms of getting to the attractions and walking to shops and restaurants?

TIA

ETA: We are half considering staying at the YMCA International at this point because the hospital is the only place that will put us in one room!! Does anyone have feed back re this? It's still about AUD 260 per night for the family room but anywhere else we will be paying that + PER ROOM X 2.

Edited by Bek+3, 17 March 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#13 Aisimali

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

We stayed at Furama Riverfront as a family of six in an executive suite. We paid around $300 a night I think. (It was a few years ago) I emailed them directly to confirm our numbers and then booked through expedia.  We booked as 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant using existing bedding and then requested roll away for our other 2 children. As it was our luggage arrived 28 hours after us (we were returning from London) and they couldnt have been more helpful.
I wouldnt stay out at Sentosa for a 2 day trip unless you only wanted to visit out there. Taxis are so cheap in Singapore so we just used those to get around.

#14 2bundles

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

We stayed at flora park apartments in Dubai. They were central and very spacious and across the road from the mrt.

Can't help with Singapore. We struggled to find hotels to take 2 kids!  Clarke Quay would be fine. Everything in Singapore in close.

#15 carls888

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

We have just booked at the Mandarin Oriental and they do a free night offer, which makes it work out cheaper. In a suite they will accommodate a family. I think it was stil $400 per night though.

My SIL booked at Swissotel and they allowed a family there too, but with the MO offer it works out around the same price for us.

C

#16 B.feral3

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Thank you very much. I am looking into all these options now. I think I am just going to email hotels directly. I'm finding the accommodation search engines so temperamental. I put in 2 adults and 3 kids in for the Furama Riverfront and a list of room options came up which was great. Lucky I didn't book though because when you click on the room, the fineprint says max 2 occupants or 3 with a rollaway charged a 60 per night. Annoying!!

#17 Lil-Mum

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Watching this thread as we are also planning to go to Singapore and Hong Kong in September and need accommodation for 2 adults and 3 kids.

Let me know if you find any suitable accom in Singapore, Bek+3.

#18 vonmax

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Ive booked the Bayview Hotel for us.Nowhere near as flash as some of the options mentioned above but they do have a pool,are close to everything and have family suites that take 4 and the room sizes are supposed to be okay(will find out soon whether this is true I guess!). You can always check out there website to see if  they do roll out beds for the 5th child. Good luck with your search.

#19 monet

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

I live in Sing but can't help much with hotels as we never need them!  I wouldn't stay out at Sentosa for a short stay.  Clarke Quay has an MRT and plenty of restuarant options around.  I haven't heard much about the YMCA but it has a pool, is close to an MRT and you can walk to the Orchard shops and restuarants.

#20 B.feral3

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Thank you all very much.

We have narrowed Singapore down to 2 options. Once I have that booked (tomorrow is the plan) I'll move onto Dubai!!

The the PP who is also looking at Singapore for 2 adults and 3 kids... I'll detail my research!!

Basically, if you put 2 adults 3 kids into any of the popular accommodation search engines (Expedia, Quickbeds etc) you will find there are no results. Even when you put 2 adults and 3 kids into the hotels OWN search engine it will tell you that there is nothing available OR it will quote you for 2 rooms.

I have emailed hotels directly though and get a different story. Several have been more than happy to put 5 in a room. I emailed the Furama Riverfront as suggested by a PP. they were very pricey though. About $350 per night. The YMCA will also put us in the one room - a family room that comes with 3 singles but we can add another single. (Our baby will share with us anyway.) Also, the Swissotel Merchant Court will put us in one room.

Prices
YMCA S$235 inc taxes per night including the additional rollaway. (AUD181 per night.) That also includes breakfast and free wireless internet.

Swissotel Merchant Court is S$270 per night including taxes. (AUD208 per night.) Breakfast is approx AUD$30 per adult AUD$15 per child. Also, internet costs extra.

One is a hostel and the other is 4.5 star so it's probably a no brainer, especially with only a $30 per night difference but I can't decide. The hostel seems to be a better location, includes breakfast, and we can browse the web at night when the kids are in bed. (I don't fancy paying what the Swissotel ask for wireless.) Also, even though the room wont be as nice at the hostel, it still seems quite ok. I am happy to spend much more in Dubai than Singapore because in Singapore we don't plan to be at the hotel except to sleep.

Here is someone's blog where they have photographed the YMCA. (It also gets GREAT reviews. So does the Swissotel but I wasn't expecting much out of a hostel but I'm surprised.)

http://kayelangit-luistro.blogspot.com.au/...ne-orchard.html

HTH  original.gif

Edited by Bek+3, 20 March 2013 - 06:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.