Competition and kids
Winners and losers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EBmel

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

(Posted on Amity's behalf by EBMel )

I’m writing this post through sleepy eyes, on a very dusty laptop, on the building site of The Block All Stars.

Yes, I may possibly be mad, but we're actually having a ball   doing this huge renovation job, and I’m really glad I pushed aside my   nerves and said yes to the opportunity. The kids are here with us and   are loving the excitement of being part of a TV show. They're also   getting very spoiled by the cast and crew, and are enjoying their   holiday in Sydney with their grandparents while Mummy and Daddy work   hard and look much dirtier than usual. The show goes to air early next year and is going to be a cracker, so make sure you tune in and see how we go!

Without giving anything away, it’s a pretty competitive environment   around here, and this has got me thinking about kids and competition. Is   it good to raise your kids to be competitive, or should we be focussing   on the old adage ‘it doesn’t matter if you win or lose, it’s how you   play the game’?

In Australia our obsession with sport and winning is well   documented, yet the way we teach our kids is now much more focussed on   participation, with the pressure to win played down.

My six-year-old started playing soccer this year, and, in an attempt   to take the pressure off the players entirely, their club doesn’t even   keep score for the under-sevens. I understand the logic, but it's pretty   futile when the kids know exactly what the score is and celebrate and   mourn their wins and losses accordingly.

I applaud attempts to rid sporting leagues of the parents who   abuse the referees, other parents and even kids when things don’t go   their way. That's the ugly side to competition and it has no place in   kid’s sport.

But is it such a bad thing to raise kids who want to win? And   is getting rid of the ‘best and fairest’ award, instead giving every   child a medal for effort, an act of encouragement or political   correctness gone too far?

Our son is naturally competitive - not through our   encouragement, but most likely thanks to his genetic link to competitive   parents. He gets very down on himself when he doesn’t excel in things,   and, despite our insistence that it doesn’t matter if you win or lose,   he cares about outcomes very much.

Like so many parents do with their own children, when playing   games with him as a preschooler we let him win often enough to keep him   tantrum-free. However, I questioned that after reading a study on the   potential outcome of letting your child win all the time. Published in The Atlantic, the   article explained how psychologists now believe children who never   learn to fail can find life extremely hard as adults, often leading to   an inability to cope when things don’t go their way. So by letting them   experience the disappointment of loss when they're young, we're actually   helping our children by preparing them for the ups and downs of life.   Or perhaps just their favourite footy team losing the grand final!

The fact is that in sport, work and life in general, it   sometimes does matter if you win or lose. Ultimately we live in a   competitive society, and having a fire in your belly to want to win is a   good thing. But I’ll also teach my kids that you learn more from your   losses than you ever do your wins, and that good sportsmanship is the   most important thing.

I’ll also be reminding them of the old ‘it doesn’t matter if   you win or lose, it’s how you play the game’ right before a certain   auction early next year. Although, I won’t lie, a win would be nice ...

Are you raising your child to have a competitive spirit? Do you   let them win at board games? Do you agree with the 'no scoring' rule in sport? Share your thoughts!

#2 BadCat

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

I think humans are naturally competitive and it should be embraced to an extent.  Of course we should temper our kids competitive streak so they don't ride rough shod over everyone but for goodness sake let them win at stuff they are good at and be proud of it.

As you say, the kids always know the score anyway, why try to pretend there isn't one?  

Everyone knows who won the running race.  We should be able to celebrate and praise the best while still encouraging those who struggle to even finish.  It really isn't that hard.

Oh, and I never let them win at board games.  I helped them to play better so they could learn to beat me. laughing2.gif

#3 Ireckon

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

I do think that things are going a bit far these days, no one is allowed to be a winner, in case other children feel bad because they don't have the same aptitude in whatever challenge they are faced with. In competitions, or games, there is more focus on making everyone feel good, when in fact there ARE times when a winner needs to be acknowledged. Kids NEED to know what it feels like to fail, I agree with this completely.

We do not let our kids win at games. We make them figure out how to beat us - and DS7 can now win monopoly against DH, because he understands the strategy of the game.

We see the differences between our older 2, one is great at math, one is great and literature. That doesn't mean they don't try at the subjects they feel they are weak in. We do tell them that everyone is smart, just at different things, and I think that is important for them to know.

#4 casime

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

I'm opposed to this environment that people seem to want to create where children are supposed to always succeed.   Life just isn't like that, and if you never fail, there is no incentive to ever get better.  

I was hopeless at the various school sports when I was a kid.  Athletics day always saw me coming in last, same with swimming.  Whinging to my mother did no good.  But she did point out to me that I excelled in my chosen sport (dance) and that many of the children that were beating me at running and swimming couldn't dance.   It taught me that not only can we not win at everything, but that we don't actually HAVE to win at everything.  Who cares if I couldn't run fast?  It wasn't important to me, and not something that I needed to spend my time trying to be better at.  But dancing was my thing, and that was where I put my effort and let my competitive streak go wild.  I think that was as an important lesson, if not more so, than the 'you don't always have to win' lesson.

#5 liveworkplay

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

I think there is a happy medium. Let's face it, life is a competition. You cannot shield kids from that. But I think teaching them that it is not the be all and end all in all situations and teaching them that we all have our strengths and weaknesses is paramount.

explained how psychologists now believe children who never learn to fail can find life extremely hard as adults, often leading to an inability to cope when things don’t go their way. So by letting them experience the disappointment of loss when they're young, we're actually helping our children by preparing them for the ups and downs of life.

I totally agree. We need to learn how to fail, how to cope with failure and how to do it gracefully. I would much rather my kids fail now in their preteens, then their first taste of failure be as an adult. My eldest DD is currently older, larger and more mature then her peers. She therefore finds school and associated activities  easy first go and consequently either competes above her age/grade level or gets very good grades with minimal effort. I have a hard time convincing other parents that this is not actually a good thing as she has never failed at anything and I am getting concerned how my sensitive child will cope with her first real big failure. People just think I am not proud of her achievements or being modest but it is not that all.

So yes, I do think competition for kids is a good thing if done in a healthy, compassionate way.

#6 steppy

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

It's a ridiculous false environment. In real life people win and lose all the time. Coping with disappointment and learning your strong and weak points are all part of living. I agree with the underlying premise that people are equal in importance and need to be treated as such, but that doesn't mean you can't or won't enjoy a win or mourn a loss.

#7 seayork2002

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

What you said!

I agree

QUOTE (steppy @ 16/11/2012, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a ridiculous false environment. In real life people win and lose all the time. Coping with disappointment and learning your strong and weak points are all part of living. I agree with the underlying premise that people are equal in importance and need to be treated as such, but that doesn't mean you can't or won't enjoy a win or mourn a loss.

#8 xela1974

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

I agree with all of the comments above.  Thanks for posting, it saves me the time ;-)

Oh and btw, I (nor his dad) don't let my older DS7 win at games, and like another poster mentioned, he now sometimes has the ability to win against me (or his dad) in some games at some times (last time we played checkers he totally out-played me, but boy was I so proud of him for doing it!!!!!)

#9 julz78

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

I'm all for competitiveness in sports so long kids are taught sportsmanship along the way. I think this not keeping score and no winners and losers business is unrealistic and will breed a generation of mediocre kids. When my kids play they play to win, they give it their best shot, try their hardest, sometimes they win sometimes they lose, that is life.

I would probably go as far as to avoid the "everyones a winner" type sports because I think it is a simply a lie not everyone is a winner and not everyone can win at everything. One kid may be a fantastic swimmer but may be a poor ru

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.