Changing surnames

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ianthe

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Does anyone know how complicated it is to change a child's surname? Do you need the other parent's permission?

My kids have been asking if my husband and I divorce would I start using my maiden name. I said I didn't know but possibly. I have all brothers so all of 'my' family have the same surname. One has now asked if we could hyphenate our two surnames. I cannot imagine my ex will like that idea at all but anyone know how complicated it is?

And is having a double barrelled surname a pita?

#2 julia*v

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

I am pretty sure if the children are under 18 you need both parents to sign the 'change of name' form.

You change your name legally through Births, Deaths and Marriages - so look up the one for your state to see each of the rules.

It is a very easy process. I think it costs about $150 (in WA) to complete.

#3 ~Mintie~

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

As PP's said you would need his permission as well as ID from him. If you can't get that you need a court order that specifies you can change the names. The cost is $166. It's not a complicated process as long as you can meet the ID requirements, but takes about 6 weeks to complete.

#4 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

I THINK you don't need permission if you have been out of contact with the father for 2years? Don't quote me on this as I could be very wrong, but I think I heard it somewhere.

#5 JustBeige

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (mad madam mim @ 16/11/2012, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I THINK you don't need permission if you have been out of contact with the father for 2years? Don't quote me on this as I could be very wrong, but I think I heard it somewhere.

Yep. I 'think' also you have to be unable to contact him. I remember a conversation with a mum going through this a couple of years ago.  She had the added stress of trying to get them passports too.

BD&M will be able to tell you.

#6 idignantlyright

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

We started using DH's surname at school for eldest DD, and at the doctors. So her file had written on it her new name, but her birthname was also there. It helped when she wanted to change it properly later.

#7 wombat

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

My DD has a double barrel surname and does not find it a problem.  As for whether you need your ex to agree I'm not sure, but I do know that years ago my cousin changed her kids names to hers and her ex objected, but it was allowed as both the kids were adamant they wanted to same name as thier mum.  Not sure of the process to make that happen however.

#8 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

When my parents split up, I hypenated my name. My Mum went back her maiden name because she was her Dad's only child, and he was an only child etc.

However, my Dad refused to sign the form. So until I was 18 I was legally unhyphenated. However, back then (in the 90s) we just told the school I wanted to be known with the hypenated name and then used my school report to change my bank account. Though my learners license was in the unhypenated name because that is what my birth certificate and medicare card said. My HSC and university enrolment was in the hypenated name, and I changed it legally when I turned 18 in the January before starting Uni.

TBH having a hypenated name does make it a lot more complicated for me, but I also have an unusual and difficult to spell first name.

I'm glad I did it for my mother though. However I will be changing my surname to my fiances surname when we are married in April.

#9 Giota

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

I have just done this. You can either get your ex to sign the papers or go to court.

The courts look at what is in the best interest of the child. If the child resides 100% with you, it would be more beneficial for the child to have the same name as the custodial parent. If it is shared care, and the children are already at school, the courts will be more reluctant to make the change.

PM if you want more details as I have just changed my daughters name.

#10 Curly Wurly

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

My mother changed my name (not legally) to my stepfathers.  I resented it. To me it was robbing me of my identity without my consent. When I turned 18yrs old the first thing I did was change everything back to my real name.

#11 FiveAus

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Keep in mind the kids can use whatever name they like. It then becomes their "preferred name", and the one they were born with stays their legal name.

My youngest daughter used her stepfathers last name from when she started high school. She barely knew her father, we had separated and divorced when she was very small, and he had moved overseas, so she felt no obligation to continue to use his name, and she didn't particularly like it anyway.

For various reasons she decided she wanted to use her stepfathers name, and she just started using it. It's not legal, her real name still appears on her drivers license and her passport, but right through high school she was known by her stepfathers name, she joined various clubs with that name and all of her friends knew her as that name.

#12 Phascogale

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (Curly Wurly @ 16/11/2012, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My mother changed my name (not legally) to my stepfathers.  I resented it. To me it was robbing me of my identity without my consent. When I turned 18yrs old the first thing I did was change everything back to my real name.

This is exactly how I felt/feel. When you are 9 and have a hard to spell eastern European name you jump at the chance to have a short Aussie name.  And initially i thought it was great. But as I got older I resented it more and more.  I didnt change my name back though I really wanted to because then my mum would see it as a slight to her and it wasn't worth the drama. I knew I would change my name when I got married but I really felt for my dad as my brothers name was changed too.

I wouldn't change the name officially and just use a preferred name and your child can change it when they are 18. But it does depend on the  circumstances of why you broke up. Even if there is no contact now the child may want it later.

#13 Luckyseven

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

When I separated from my X, our DD wanted to change her name to my maiden name that I had reverted back to, her and her dad did not get along and she hated having his surname (she was 11) I looked into changing her name and yes you can do it if you have the fathers permission and it does cost a bit but my X was very hurt by her wanting to change her name so I respected that and so did she in end so she has kept her dads name as have her little brothers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Outrage over baby's icy challenge

A man has been reported to child protective services after taking the ALS ice bucket challenge with his 10-month-old granddaughter.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.