Anyone else using a sperm donor?
In need of a buddy

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Mumma2furrykids

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hubby and I have been using a sperm donor for a year now - we've had success twice but I lost the bubs due to ectopic pregnancies.

Is anyone else using a sperm donor?  I'd love a buddy to talk too.

#2 FaithHopeLove

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I am using an id release donor as i am (hoping to be) a single mum by choice... quite different but if you want to chat let me know.

#3 emsh

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (brookstar @ 15/11/2012, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hubby and I have been using a sperm donor for a year now - we've had success twice but I lost the bubs due to ectopic pregnancies.

Is anyone else using a sperm donor? I'd love a buddy to talk too.

Hey did you find a doner? where do you go to get a doner? all new to me ... unsure.gif

#4 Mumma2furrykids

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

FaithHopeLove - I'm in awe of you. Do you follow the bumpyroadtobubba blog? Great read.

Emsh - Hubby's brother is our donor. The clinic I'm with strongly recommend family as donors - lots of counselling involved but we got approved. Otherwise there are other clinics that have donors listed or will import from int'l sperm banks around the world. Where are you based in Australia?

#5 Cuddlesnkisses

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hi, I'm using a donor. I was originally using a donor I found myself but after a few miscarriages decided to go to a clinic.  I'm now in the middle of an IVF cycle and will be using donor sperm from an international clinic.

Single mum to a DD, at 38 I don't have time to twiddle my thumbs and wait for Mr Right.

#6 mr89906

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Edited by mr89906, 07 June 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#7 Cuddlesnkisses

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

If your going to go through a fertility clinic, find one that has donor sperm or there is a site called DIY baby where you can find donors.  there are other sites but DIY has a strict AI only policy.

#8 Mumma2furrykids

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

I hate this waiting game.

AM I PG?

AM I NOT PG?

AM I PG?

1 X Crystal Ball is needed ASAP.

#9 cme

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Bookstar we meet again.

I think I'll post here, now that we're back to waiting rather than being in an active cycle.

For the others, we just found out that we need a sperm donor and are currently weighing up the pros and cons. There are no obvious family members for us to go to so it will be a friend of anon.

emsh I'm with IVF Australia and they have their own donor list as well as using OS donors.

#10 FaithHopeLove

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE (brookstar @ 16/11/2012, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FaithHopeLove - I'm in awe of you. Do you follow the bumpyroadtobubba blog? Great read.

Emsh - Hubby's brother is our donor. The clinic I'm with strongly recommend family as donors - lots of counselling involved but we got approved. Otherwise there are other clinics that have donors listed or will import from int'l sperm banks around the world. Where are you based in Australia?

I see you got your bfp! fx its a sticky. thanks for the tip on the blog!

QUOTE (mr89906 @ 18/11/2012, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been meaning to look into donor sperm in the next few years if mr right doesn't show up. Where do I start?? How do you go about it? Etc... Any info most appreciated....

I was lucky enough to get into a public program however they have almost run out of sperm. 2 more tries for me after this cycle and i will need to go private. you might want to check out the solo mums by choice forum - there is a section for 'thinkers' like yourself and lots of helpful information.

#11 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

I used a known sperm donor and after a mc I now have a nearly 1 month old DS.

I just want to wish all of you good luck and I really hope all your dreams come true in 2013.

Brookstar - a huge congrats to you. I'm so excited you got your BFP and can't wait to hear all about your pregnancy original.gif

#12 Mumma2furrykids

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Puff. You know my pregnancies are never a walk in the park .... more like a rollercoaster ride that ends badly.

I'm currently waiting for the hospital to call me with today's hCG results.

#13 FaithHopeLove

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Praying you get a good result brookstar.

#14 embracingIVF

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

we used a sperm donor for pergnancy number2
managed to get bio child through ivf for child number 1
anyone else been in this boat with one child bio and one donor sibling?
love to hear stories and 22 weeks preg with number 2
blush.gif
congratulations brookstar! i remember reading your story and am so happy to see your news x

#15 Mumma2furrykids

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

embracing IVF - congrats on bubba #2. When are you due?
Did you use a known or anon donor?

#16 embracingIVF

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

hubby was more comfy with anon so this is the way we went
found someone from the US who had a big file of info/a picture and a letter to the child (that made me cry) he was doing it for the right reasons
was such a leap to go this way after having number 1 through IVF
but the IVf just would not work second time (and was killing me in the process- body collapsing) and the longing for the second child was very strong for us all
sa la vie
hooray to non traditional contemporary families!!

i hope your levels are beautiful and the journey is sweet and carefree
original.gif

#17 braisie

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hi I am new to the site so forgive me if I am not up with the Lingo  unsure.gif

I am currently doing IUI with an unknown sperm donor.  I have just finished my first cycle???? and now have to wait two weeks to find out if we are lucky enough to get pregnant.

I look forward to hearing and sharing our stories and I would love any tips and tricks anyone has from their experiences.

#18 AngelWingz

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Hi Ladies

I have just joined this site and came across this thread.  My story... I'm 41, single and after concentrating too long on career, travelling and finding Mr Right, I've decided I can't put motherhood off any longer original.gif  I'll be going through a donor programme in the new year and would love to meet some awesome people on here to share our journey original.gif

Edited by AngelWingz, 28 December 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#19 braisie

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hi angel wings I am also new here.  I am currently waiting to find out if my 1st IUI with a donor was successful. Will be testing around the 2nd of Jan. the waiting is the hardest part. Have you had appointments with a clinic yet?

#20 mollo

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hi all, i've just recently started the process of Sperm Donation to get pregnant.  I'm 33 this year and doing it all alone.  I have my first appointment with the FS @ Melb IVF on Monday.  I am a tad overweight and have PCOS - however i don't have any of the "normal" side effects of PCOS so i'm hoping that it wont interfere with getting pregnant.

The closer i get to my appointment the more clucky i'm starting to become.  I hope it all goes smoothly.

Will let you know how i go further down the track.

Good luck to all.

#21 FaithHopeLove

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Sorry to see your news brookstar.

How did you go braisie?

I hve pcos too mollo but fairly regular cycles (26-29 days).

Angelwingz i am also a (hopeful) SMC - How are you going?

I am in tge 2ww of cycle 4. had iui last wednesday and my last two cyckez have been on fsh to try and get twi eggs to increase my chances. this cycle only one was looking big enough but fx it was a good one!

Edited by FaithHopeLove, 31 January 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#22 AngelWingz

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hi original.gif

I also would love to chat to others in a similar boat.  I have wonderful, supportive friends, however it would be great get to know others on the same path as me.

Sorry Braisie, haven't been on this site for a bit.  Haven't had my appointment as yet - I'm heading to my first fertility seminar this week and I am really excited original.gif  How did you go with yours?

FaithHopeLove - how are you going?

Edited by AngelWingz, 11 February 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#23 AngelWingz

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hope everyone is well original.gif

Thought I would give an update on the donor seminar I attended this week.  Spoke with a lovely doctor who said he would recommend I go with IVF rather than IUI due to my age.  I was a little bummed about that at first, but now I kind of understand.  My heart sank a little when he said I only had 3% chance of conceiving through IUI and 7% chance with IVF.

So... now to really think things through.  Oh, it's so much to think about. Argh!!!

Edited by AngelWingz, 13 February 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#24 FaithHopeLove

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Dont be too disheartened angelwingz - a young healthy couple only has a 20% chance each time they ttc and hopefully you will be one of the ones who gets it first go! I had another negative cycle. because i am on fertility drugs i have to have a break between cycles so due for my next iui in march. its all a waiting game really!

#25 AngelWingz

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Thanks FaithHopeLove.

Sorry to hear about your negative.  Good luck for March - it's not too far away.  This journey will be well worth it in the end when you are holding your precious bundle of joy  biggrin.gif

27 user(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 17 guests, 3 anonymous users

pumpkin-pie, jojo77, FeelingcLucky, Katerina 34, DreamingM, Google (2)

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.