11 day old not sleeping

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Our little boy is 11 days old and since bringing him home (a week ago) he doesn't sleep well. He feeds (EBM and ff) every 3 to 4 hours and we change his nappy, wrap him tightly and cuddle him to sleep but once in his bed he only sleeps 30 to 60 mins if that. Sometimes it can take hours to get him to sleep.

Any tips or hints for settling?

Thanks

#2 Mmmcheese

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Congratulations on your new little one! I can't remember much of the early days, but I remember reading that sleep breeds sleep, so I would have my little one have a nap on me,so she would get at least one decent length nap. Can't remember if it worked or not though! Sorry, I'm not much help.

#3 Mmmcheese

Dp

Edited by Mmmcheese, 15 November 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#4 Mmmcheese

More posts!

Edited by Mmmcheese, 15 November 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#5 Mmmcheese

Too many posts!

Edited by Mmmcheese, 15 November 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#6 Lokum

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

I agree with Cherry Ames. I'd try to sneak in another BF or two during the day (and then you might be able to ditch the FF top ups).

Also, I'd be aiming to have the baby wrapped for resettling within 90 minutes of waking up. Ideally, even an hour, but I think yours is a slow feeder? Mine was too (an hour per feed, incl nappy change), so it was hard to get him settled in an hour.

However, if you leave it too late, they get overtired, and then they can wake up early. It is a crazy time though - you might need to plonk on the couch for a 2 hour movie and hold the baby, to make sure there's at least one long sleep?

#7 RachelT

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Have you tried white noise? Young babies love it!

#8 mandala

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

I seem to remember your DS was falling asleep during feeds? I would try keeping him awake to keep him feeding effectively (we would even put a wet cotton ball on DS's cheek) and try to get DS back to bed within an hour of waking. One tip I've been given was to put DS to bed 15 minutes before I thought he needed to sleep. Once they get into a cycle of overtiredness, it's often very hard to get them out of it.

Other than that, you could try the car, going for a walk, rocking the pram over a bump in the carpet, put baby in a sling, let him sleep on you. The only thing that worked for DS was jiggling him on DH's shoulder, and that would take hours to work. It's really hard.

#9 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

I think we are going through the arsenic hours. This is the first time this has happened so we were not sure what was happening. 7 hours later and he has finally crashed with many tears from both baby and mum.

Not looking forward to doing it all again tomorrow.

#10 belindarama

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

I second the white noise. One that replicated the sounds of the womb worked wonders for DS2 and his catnapping.

Although at that age I would be expecting more frequent feeds to be the norm.

#11 FlamingoG

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

My DD was the same - would not be put down once asleep on us. To get through these early weeks, I would be letting him sleep on you just to get him going. At about four weeks we would persevere with the shushing and patting in the basket, which she caught on to eventually - but at this point, you all need a bit of down time. Sending you lots of happy sleepy thoughts!

#12 Tarantara

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Puzzling little creatures babies are. Sounds like you did a great job getting him to sleep in the end.

When my baby was new, some of the things that really helped were:
  • Trying to keep the feed to under an hour. I would change his nappy at the start of the feed, then try to get him fed within an hour. He was very, very bad at eating at first. I wouldn't change him at the end unless really required. It often dragged out longer, but I kept trying to speed it up. When he was just a week or two old I would use a cool, damp cloth to wipe his face to keep him awake to eat.
  • White noise. I have an app called Relax Melodies (free) I swear it was incredible. You can choose up to ten sounds that play, noisily, and I found that a combo of the white noise, rushing water and a music box helped my baby stay asleep past one sleep cycle. He has since progressed to Gilbert and Sullivan operettas :/
  • Rocking him over the bump where the tiles meet the carpet in the bathroom door, or bumping him into something gently. I would put him in his pram and rock him to sleep, starting out quite vigorously, and then slowing down as he slowed down. Trying to be gentle and firm, but not forceful if that makes sense.
  • Holding him upright so his ear was near my mouth and breathing slowly and gently. My theory was that he would copy the type of breathing I was doing, and it was relaxing breathing, so even if it didn't work for him it would help keep me calm! He was never a baby to like being held horizontally. Even now, he doesn't really like to go to sleep in my arms but prefers to relax in his bed with me near him for reassurance.

#13 Kay1

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

I am not sure I have anything to offer except sympathy. My #2 was like that.

I third the white noise - LOUD! That's what they use in the nursery in hospital. Is there anywhere he will sleep? Like on your chest etc.

Hang in there, just keep repeating "This will pass".

#14 Oilucy

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

I agree with KRT.
I believe a baby of that age should be up for one hour - this includes nappy change time, feeding and burping.
When he wakes, change his nappy and then feed and burp him. You may find by the time you finish all of that (depending on how long he feeds for) he will be ready to go back to bed.
If he gets over tired you will find him harder to settle. A hint for recognising over tiredness is the hiccups believe it or not!
Also a baby's sleep cycle is circa 40 mins so you will need to kind of train him to self settle after this. In that, if he wakes after 40 mins you should try and settle him again so that he knows he should sleep for longer.
I would say bf every 3 hours and try and not offer ff top ups.

#15 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

Found this site that explains bub's sleep cycle whic I thought is helpful for us to understand bb :

http://www.parentingscience.com/newborn-sleep.html

And a helpful video : http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gJv-7wpGE6A

Edited by Mum2TwoDSs, 16 November 2012 - 03:02 AM.

#16 pinkcupcakes

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

itoo cant offer much more than sympathy, but give yourself a break, it takes a few weeks just for all of you to figure out the basics! happy.gif if you find something that works for you, stick with it, who cares if its not the norm.  also i have to recommend white noise as well, although nothing fancy. i got a $12 box fan for my kids n faced it away from them so they got the noise but not the draft. and vaccuum in the early days to get bub used to noise. (or get someone to do it for u!) my ds will sleep in bouncer in loungeroom while i go right past him with vaccuum. its amazing! i have a different feeding routine than a pp mentioned , it works for ds but maybe it depends on the baby... i feed one side, change him, feed other side, n after a burp its back to bed.no noise or light or talking. hope things get easier,puffsgirl. wink.gif

#17 kay11

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

My first was like this. A catnapper almost from birth. It was exhausting and even now at 3 she is full on and very testing. I could rarely get her to sleep for more than 20-40 minutes. I did so much 'resettling' one week it felt like I lived in her bedroom. And all it made me do was feel frustrated and depressed. It's not like she slept any better by the end of it...

One time (around 3 weeks) she was up for 6 hours - happily enough as it was, but sheesh. It must've worn her out though because she slept for 12 hours straight after that.

#18 BadgerBasher

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Well and truly out of 0-6m, but I used to wrap beanie REALLY tightly, put her on my chest and sing. Once she was asleep, I'd put her on the bed next to DP (works shift), wake him up so he knew she was there and go sleep on the couch.
He'd put her in the crook of his elbow, and they'd snooze quite happily for 80 minutes or so.

#19 redmum77

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

I just bought a Lullabub. It moves the cot like a car and slowly stops itself, then you can kick a button and it starts again if they wake too early.

Dd was a shocking sleeper, but I had this for DS, and he was wonderful and learned to self settle without it in no time. Best investment I ever made. No I'm not selling them! Lol. Don't even know if they are still out there.

#20 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

Wow what's that? Not out yet? Have a picture?

#21 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I need to top him up with formula as ATM I'm not producing enough milk for him so cutting them out is not going to happen.

We went for a walk in the pram at 10pm and that finally got him to sleep.

Will look into the white noise apps.

#22 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Just went on you tube...there's lots white noise there too...have a search, they will come up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.