4.5 month old nap help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Moo point

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Sorry for the essay!

DS is 20 weeks, and has been a fairly consistent catnapper since about 4 weeks old - roughly 2 hour feeds, with 45 min naps. We have a few methods for getting him to sleep for naps, the easiest being holding him to sleep - in the early days I would be camped out on the couch either feeding or holding him as he wouldn't sleep anywhere else during the day, but always in the bassinet at night.

His night sleeping is awesome - a few 10 hour nights, but for the last month or so a 7-8 hour stretch from around 8.30pm, one (2 max) wake up for a feed and up for the day between 6 and 7am.

But the daytime naps are an issue - for the last couple of months I've been able to hold him and pat to sleep, put him in the bassinet and he'd sleep for his usual 45 mins. The last couple of weeks he's even slept for 1.25-1.5 hours, bliss! We moved him into the cot on the weekend, as he is now rolling, again no problem, even a long nap on Sunday morning. But ever since Monday, he has refused to sleep for longer than 10 mins in the cot for some of his naps. His first 2 naps (8.30am, 10.30am approx) were fine, but the last 3 days he has slept a grand total of about 20 mins in 6 hours! In the afternoon I have let him sleep on me to get him to have a full 45 min nap.

He wakes up happy, seems to like the cot, night time is fine - what could be going on? I thought perhaps he might not be tired enough, but his giant yawns and increasing crabbiness after 1.5 hours awake say differently.

I think I need to get him to sleep in the cot, any suggestions? I am not comfortable with controlled crying/comforting or CIO. DS has always self settled during the night, we are VERY lucky and grateful for this. He is fully breastfed and we started him on a small amount of pureed vegies on the weekend, just a tablespoon once per day, which he loves.

TIA.

#2 PonyoLand

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'll be interested in the responses too! DS is older (9mths) but won't nap in his cot either! Night time is no worries but daytime sleep he wakes as soon as I put him down!

#3 mandala

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Have you tried putting him in his cot awake? What does he do? When DS started to refuse to feed to sleep or be cuddled to sleep, it was when he started wanting to go into his cot awake and go to sleep by himself. Trying to pat, rub, shush just upset him. It's worth a try to see what happens!

4.5 months is just after a wonder week, and when their sleep starts to become more like adult sleep, so maybe it's just a reaction to that and will pass. However, it is the time that sleep associations can start to form so it's a good time to start putting in the sleep habits that you want to maintain. For example, if you don't want to hold DS to sleep when he's older, you could take the opportunity of it not working now to see if he can learn to fall asleep in the cot with you patting instead.

#4 Moo point

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

Thanks KRT - yep I was hoping to be able to put him down awake and have him self settle at some point soon, but I didn't want to force it on him and let him cry.

After I fed him last night, DH spent about 20 mins gently rocking/patting him to sleep. He'd get him asleep but DS would wake up a few mins later. After another 10 mins DH came out of the room needing a break (from kneeling on the floor next to the cot) so I said I'd go in when DS gets noisier. But he didn't - he fell asleep all by himself! Sucking on his fingers, of course original.gif And he stirred at around 5am but went back to sleep and didn't get up until after 6am. Brilliant! Here's hoping I can implement this for his naps today.

I agree about the wonder weeks - he has changed so much in just the last week or so, able to concentrate, rolling with ease and babbling more.

PonyoLand - best of luck!

#5 misse10

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

i certainly don't have all the answers as my night sleeps are crap, but i got DSs day sleeps sorted by getting him to self soothe...so he can resettle after sleep cycles.

Our routine is now: sleepbag on, sing a special sleep song then into the cot & I rub his tummy for a few seconds then i leave.
now there's no problems and i can just walk out.  To start i had to do that and walk out, knowing he's start crying, at which point i'd walk right in again and start shush/patting until he was calm, walk out, pause, then back in again.  if he got very upset i'd pick up and cuddle before repeating.  
It got to the point where i would just have to pat without picking up, then there were no grizzles at all.

i'm also against leaving a baby to cry, but sometimes the grizzling is them trying to get themselves to sleep.

#6 Moo point

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Thanks misse10. I think I'll give that a go tomorrow. I was able to get him to sleep within 5-10 mins by patting/shushing in the cot for each nap today - his night sleep was completely different! Took my DH and I over an hour to settle him to sleep, possibly due to him being overtired. I breastfed him, he fell sound asleep, moved him to the cot, still sound asleep, woke up 2 mins later for a burp and was awake for another hour! So hard, but I'm on my second glass of wine seeing as I know he won't need another feed until at least 4am original.gif

Will try the putting down/walk in and out for his night sleep tomorrow too, we gave it a half hearted go tonight but we could be more consistent. Thanks original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.