Weight Gain
Is it too early?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fireylee

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Hello ladies,

I'm 8w 4d and I have gained 2kg - but I look huge. My breasts are a size (nearly two) bigger, and my stomach is constantly bloated. I was even asked today by a co-worker if I was pregnant, because he had noticed that my tummy was getting bigger.

I am 5"7 and weighed 63kg before I found out, now I am fluctuating between 64 and 65kg. And I just look really podgy in the tummy area, and I can definitely feel that my bottom and hips have gotten wider.

Just worried, because I come from a bigger family - and I have always worked hard to keep my weight down - really don't want to get huge during this pregnancy.

Problem is - I am constantly hungry. I am trying to eat fruit and healthy meals - but there are times that I indulge. Is anyone else facing the same problem so early?

#2 MarilynM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Hi love. I am also very bloated, feel very 'full' and constipation doesn't help sad.gif. I think I have gotten a bit softer, but that is probably mostly because I haven't been exercising because I'm too exhausted.
I haven't weighed myself. I'm not sure I will actually. It might give me unnecessary stress. I think if you eat mostly healthy, which it sounds like you are, your body will change itself into the optimal shape for you to carry this baby.

#3 key_gal

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Im at 11 weeks today and i have gained about 1kg and a little bit (not sure if the scales accurate to 0.1). I have been asked if im pregnant already and DH says im definitely showing bump. I dont think 2kg is alot of weight but keep an eye on it i guess.

#4 Nervy

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

I've gained about 4kg but im always so very bloated my pants fit in the mornings then by lunch hsave to undo the button then by afternoon get the belly belt out of my bag. I think i retain fluid? Well heres hoping haha! I gained about 20kg with my DS but lost it all bar a couple of kilos within 6 months so not tooo worried, im 69kg at the moment.

I think we just need to listen to our bodies, if your hungry, eat, dont go going hungry pregnancy is not the time for that! And if you breastfeed, it will drop off.

Happy eating!!

#5 Mizadele

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I've gained 2 kilos, at 9 'n a bit weeks, but I started at 86kg. Lost 10 kg in the 5 months leading up to this pregnancy, but have been indulging and not exercising due to all day m/s.

Honestly, at this point, I'm not worried about it, I know i will even out in the coming months when i get my stomach back to normal and can get out there walking, and eating properly again.

fireylee, as long as you are eating healthy, I wouldn't worry too much at this point. I'd even go so far to say that at your size (which to me is tiny  biggrin.gif - you are where I will be aiming for in about a year and a half's time!) You probably feel it alot sooner, especially if you are already weight conscious. But I am sure it will balance out for you.

#6 leJadie

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'm 11 weeks and I've put on about 2kg so far. But I haven't been exercising as I've been too tired, hopefully after 12 weeks comes I can get back into the gym. I've also gone up a size and have a little belly going as well. I was trying to lose weight when I feel preg so I am still a chubba sad.gif Not looking forward to how high it is going to get.

#7 mini mac

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

hehehe... Sorry to laugh but this is my life story. Being hungry! Add pregnancy and hormones to the mix... Oh dear!!!

Your body is doing what it is supposed to, store fat to help the baby grow and protect it.

Keep eating healthy, have the odd treat, try and keep doing some moderate exercise like walking approx 30 mins daily or as much you feel up to and let your body do the rest. Some people just store the fat and retain fluid much more obviously and others don't even show until a few months before their due date. Try not to worry too much, if you BF afterwards, it will most likely drop off quite easily.

Best of luck (to you all in the same predicament)

#8 kahm

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Lost weight here, I'm afraid, due to MS.  Mind you I was sitting at about 4-5kg over my normal weight when we got our BFP so I figure that I've redistributed some weight (good ol' inflating boobs) and just out and out lost some weight.
I've lost a bunch of muscle tone too because I've been feeling so rotten that I haven't been riding to work every day like I usually do, swims have gone from 2k most days down to - er - snoozing on the couch and the other weights and cardio I've left off doing entirely because I was worried about what my already hyper-mobile joints were going to do with all that relaxin in the system (I threw my back out on the weekend lifting some shelves, I mean, seriously!)

I think that, particularly in the first trimester, you just need to eat what you can keep down, remember to spend the energy you do have productively (ie, gentle exercise - go for a walk and enjoy the day!) and remind yourself that you're working really hard at something.

#9 fireylee

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Thanks guys for them replies. I know you're all right, just hard to get head around. I haven't had any ms (thankfully from what I've heard some of you poor ladies have suffered), but I'm always hungry!

Might have to start skipping on the chocolate. Am running still, but sliding down heaps.

Just can't believe how quickly the body changes.

Hope the fatigue and ms starts to subside for those affected.

Thank you all again for replies. Will try to worry less.

#10 kahm

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Oh, and another useful thing to remember is that we often reach for sugary snacks when we're tired.  The reason is that a jolt of sugar will wake us up.
This pregnancy is a pretty steep learning curve for me in listening to my body and learning to tell the difference between "I'm tired", "I'm thirsty" and "I fancy a frosty fruit".

#11 monkeys mum

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

I've lost weight thanks to MS.

#12 kate_123

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

Hey guys, my weight hasn't changed, lost a kilo with m/s but then put it back on by not being able to go to the toilet for a few days blink.gif

Kahm, interesting your hypermobile too. I have loose joints as well. Im quite worried about my hips and pelvis holding up especially later on. Quite funny tho, with all the tests and appointments and things I have been to to check everything is ok, I just laugh cause I seem to manage to roll my ankle on the way to them or the way out everytime. Who needs expensive tests when u've got the ankle roll test tongue.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.