Help - irregular sleeping patterns in 11 month old
Sometimes he wakes every hour

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleNess

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Ji all,
My DS is 11 months old, is crawling & just started pulling himself up onto his feet ( yesterday).

I just don't know what to do about his sleeping, it's all over the place, regardless of a fairly solid routine with eating, day naps, bedtime routine etc.

I find for about 4or 5 nights in a row he'll be ok & wake at around 3-4 for a bottle ( currently trying to get of!) and then goes back to sleep till anywhere from 5am - 6.30.

Then he gives us a night of bed at 6.45 & wakes at 10, 12, 2, 3, 4,5 & then won't go back to sleep even in our bed.

He's a good eater & I ensure he eats 3 meals a day - fruit, veg, meat & often an arvo snack with his milk. He has 4 bottles overall but hope to get rid of ON bottle soon. Usually around 120-150mls each.

More often than not when he wakes at night he's sitting up and crying, not just yelling for attention but crying like 'how did I get here, I want ot sleep' kinda cry. Ona good night he can resettle but most nights it takes one of us to lie him back down & give him his bear & dummy....

He usually has breakfast at 7-7.30am regardless of when he wakes up & then is back down for a nap at 9 which is usually for 1-1.5 hrs.

Then another nap at 1 which most days is 2hrs long but sometimes I have to resettle after 1.5...

So any advice. Oh & I'm not an advocate of CC so please don't suggest I just leave him cry. Thanks

#2 PurpleNess

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Anyone..I'm a bit desperate for ideas??

Mainly concerned with the resettling at 3 & 4 o'clock on the morning...

Tips, advice???

#3 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

I'm not sure I can help as my son was waking hourly like that every night, so the problem was different.  The solution for us seems to have been:

• Actually teaching him to lie down, and practicing that a bit in the daytime.
  • Stopping the overnight breastfeeds, rocking, singing, cosleeping, picking up, or anything else fun
  • Just going in, lying him down, and shhing and patting/stroking his bum until he goes back to sleep. You have to do that A LOT for a few nights.   Gradually you reduce the patting and try to leave the room before he's fast asleep.  Go back in and comfort him if he cries, but just do the same over and over again
  • Tucking him in with a light crochet blanket.  He can still get up when he wants, but I think it slows down his reflex to jump up immediately, allowing time for him to drift back to sleep.

Gradually the waking has reduced, so some nights he makes it through to 530-6am and some nights he needs a resettle usually at 4.00am.   I'm happy enough with that for the time being, as I'm not willing to do any more drastic sleep training at this stage.

People will tell you that it gets better when they are walking, which may be true, but I didnt find that.

DS has had some horrid nights after days with too much racing around or when he's had too many treats and not enough proper dinner (we just had the run of 1st birthday parties) so are you able to pin down a cause for the bad nights?

#4 PurpleNess

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

THANKS Meggs,

I've started to keep a bit of a diary around feeding & sleeping to see if I can pinpoint a trigger.

Thanks for your ideas, I actually did this last night and managed to get him back to sleep twice but I did have to give him a cuddle at 3am he was quite hysterical poor thing.

I'm trying to get rid of the bottle & held out until just before 5am, then he slept till 7 so overall not a bad night. I just don't know how we'll cope if I cold turkey him off the bottle, so over the next couple of weeks I'm going to push it back as much as i can so eventually it'll be him morning bottle & reducing the amount - he only got 90 mls last night.

Thanks again, I'll keep trying....

#5 nakedrhubarb

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

We have this problem with my 9.5 month old. We have found having white noise in the room helps, and bottom patting. Her night sleeps are starting to stretch out and she is starting to self settle. Hopefully another few weeks and she will sleep in stretches that are long enough for me to feel like I have slept.

#6 Neko NoNo

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

I ended up at sleep school at 11 months as DS wasn't even close to sleeping through any night ever, was cosleeping and BF all night. We managed to sleep training him pretty quick using the techniques Megg suggests.

The only thing I will add is to maybe try offering water overnight- that way you know he's not just thirsty and his body can get used to waiting until morning for a drink a bit at a time. Also to offer sympathy- it sucks and i hope you get some solid sleep soon! good luck

#7 PurpleNess

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

thanks Kaie & nakedrhubarb,

Yes I think I'll give water in a day or two. He had a small feed this morning & was still upset afterwards ( complained lol) but I managed to calm him & get him off to sleep fairly easily so I'd say the bottle will be gone by Christmas....if not his first birthday!

I've had the pedastal fan on throughout the day this week as his room gets quite hot & he does seem to have slept a bit better, so i might try some static tonight.

thanks again

#8 amabanana

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

DD1 was like that, except she was waking hourly and then would stay awake for stints of a couple of hours in the wee hours.  It was torture.  We tried everything and nothing worked completely.  We had the most success with Elizabeth Pantley's no cry sleep solution.
At 5, DD is still full on, has trouble relaxing but is also a very bright little button with a mind that is constantly thinking and whirring.   She is gifted and has ADD.

DD2 was a relaxed baby and when we had some sleep issues she responded very quickly to the methods in EP's book.

What I'm trying to say is, it's not always what you are doing but the personality of the baby.  You can help them sleep but you can't make them.

Have you heard about Wonder Years?  DDs always get unsettled and wakeful when they are about to make a 'brain leap.'

Good luck!

#9 Feefifofum

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

OMG, I could have written your post word for word. Same age, same issue. I feel like I'm dealing with a newborn all over again. And given I haven't had more than a handful of full nights' sleep in almost a year, it's driving me nuts!!! Similar to you, my baby doesn't seem hungry or deeply upset, just wants to be awake and in my company.

I am now going to read the words of wisdom of others, as I don't have any myself. But it does seem to me that this is a stage associated with lots of development (for my bub, she's just starting to crawl, and seems to practice it in her cot at 3am). May it soon pass...please!

#10 mandala

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

A routine like yours sounds pretty horrible, but... I think you're doing all the right things and it just needs time.

Obviously, your DS can settle himself when he wakes overnight - he can do it for four or five nights in a row! So that means you don't have a sleep association problem where he can't go back to sleep without your help. That's really good, because it's hard to change sleep associations.

As for the bad, bad nights - they sound awful. Two thoughts - could it be because of a very busy day? Or a day when your DS hasn't had as much time to practise crawling/sitting/standing? I find that if DS hasn't sleep well during the day, he wakes up more. I also found that the whole period when he was learning to crawl, he would struggle to settle if we'd spent a lot of the day out with him in the car/in the carrier.

If you can, let your DS have as much time practising standing and then sitting down again, so he doesn't pull himself up in his cot and then need your help to lie down again.

Finally, if it were me, I would see what happened if I left DS for a little longer before going in to help him sleep. I know you don't want to leave him to cry, and I don't think that would help - but maybe go in after 90 seconds instead of after 30 seconds. I'd think of it as giving him the opportunity to find out for himself that he can lie down and close his eyes and sleep, similar to moving the toy to encourage him to learn to roll over. I wouldn't push it at all, but just see if he could do it.

Do you have a video monitor, or could you borrow one? It can be good to see whether they're making any effort to settle themselves or if they're just wailing. Just don't leave it too close to the cot or you'll have a little explorer trying to play with it in the middle of the night original.gif

#11 Red Cabbage

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

If you find the magic cure, lemme know.

My 10mo goes down at 7:30pm, wakes at 9pm, and then 11pm, and then every 2 hours, unless I put him in my bed, and he then wakes every 3 hours, to comfort suck.

#12 rosiebird

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

I love this thread so much, I don't feel as alone anymore!!
My 11 month old wakes between 90min-3hrs all night. A good night is 3 wake ups between 11-6, a bad night is 10+ wake ups. She generally falls asleep quickly but the constant sleep interruptions are slowly killing me. Particularly if I finish work at 11pm, then I don't even get a couple of solid hours before midnight when she usually sleeps more deeply.

Sometimes I'm so tire I feel that I'm hallucinating and I want to cry at 6am when she wakes up.

She has been cosleeping and comfort sucks half the night - if I try to substitute with a dummy or water, she screams blue murder til I give in, and by this time she's fully awake and won't sleep for another hour or so.

We've started to put her in her cot at night at least for the first stretch, hopefully things will start to improve soon for both of us!

#13 PurpleNess

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Sorry I meant to pop back in & thanks everyone! Also to give a bit of an update!!

We've managed to ditch the overnight bottle, that was actually easy, I just stopped & DS didn't seem to fussed.  I've also realized - a few days ago that he has all 4 first top teeth coming at once so I think had something to do with the endless waking.!

So now he's sleeping for a full 8-9 hrs & then waking around 4 for a quick resettle but still up at 5am most mornings, sometimes he'll resettle again till 6...ona  good day. So not out of the woods yet but on our way :-)

I'm at the point where I am going to get a bit firm with him, go in at 5am, lie him down with dummy & bear & tell him goodnight & go back to sleep & leave. I've done it today during his day nap after he woke 1 hr in & it worked - he went back to sleep...wish me luck! He cried for about 3 minutes - very tough on me as I don't want to let him cry but I think it's time to try it for a week and see what happens...

Hope everyone else is getting some respite!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.