But you have a HEALTHY baby!
Birth Trauma (very long)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 EBmember7

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

It has taken me so long to be able to write this post, yet I still feel unsure about sharing it. I fear that I will be bombed with the same replies I am getting IRL...    
##But you baby is alive and healthy.##It doesn't matter HOW she arrived as long as you and her are alive##You wanted a baby for so long, be happy it happened
And I could go on and on.
It is now at a point when I stop talking about birth trauma (bt) or engaging with anyone who asks about her birth or my labour.
Initially, I was shocked to learn that many many (well meaning?) friends and family ask outright about the birth. I have never, (since my daughter was born) ever ask "so how was the labour etc?" And before I became a Mum it never crossed mind to ask any questions about it. Sure, over the years I have listened to other mums tell (by their choice) their horror stories or long birth dramas, and because I didn't know what I know now, I listened, nodded, comforted and did the things I felt would help the new Mum. Like offer support and validate their feelings. Reminding them that I am available to talk about it if/when they want to.
Now that I have first hand experience of BT and the long struggle to move on from it (which I haven't "got over it") I am move aware of some people and how it may trigger them or be very sensitive to their own story.
I don't know why people try to "soothe" a Mum who has had a traumatic birth or any part of their pregnancy or labour that was less then ideal for them. Only one friend has actually acknowledged that what I went through was "tough" and she added "will probably be an only child" after what you went through. Earlier, when I did bring it up or answered questions with words that clearly indicated BT I would get replies of "it's over now, move on" "my friend/sister/random would have done anything for a baby. She wouldn't have cared if she had a c section" Etc etc.
Even my GP of 6 years seemed puzzled as to why I cared that she was born via c section. Or that I felt not capable of "being a proper woman" and have a vaginal delivery. She even added that "most" patients would be happy with a c section and some demanded one. I understand and respect "each to their own" when making choices. But the choice I made was for a natural drug free low intervention birth. I really wanted my body to "work"
It has been compounded by hash comments about our IVF history. "You couldn't have even had this baby if it wasn't for medical intervention. She started in a non-natural way" Some express disbelief that I would even care "now that I have my take home baby"
It hurts.
It hurts a lot.
The main person who allows me to talk freely without these objections and who lets me be sad and mad and questioning things that happened in my four day labour is a paid therapist who I see each week and is not one to judge me or be harsh about my emotions.   I guess it is not a surprise that I now only talk to him about it. He has given me some tools to assist me when the topic arises (which seems OFTEN) like changing the subject, say "I forget it was so intense" and even flatly "it was very traumatic and I am not ready to talk about it" that one works with some people who are in tune enough to catch on. But still I have had one woman reply with "all births are traumatic! In a humphy type of tone.
What I would love more than anything is for someone to say "I am sorry to hear that was your experience. Would you like to talk about it?" Or someone to say that I am OK to feel sad about what happened, and what didn't happen. Or even someone who says "I have no experience with that, are you getting help or can I do anything to help?"
I recall my wonderful daughters birth often. Usually when I am alone with her and replaying the week before she was born. She was born on a Thursday and some Thursdays I find myself looking at the clock and revisiting what happened at that time. 6.15am waters broken10.52am ordered not to eat anything in case I had to go to theatre11.28am OB telling me I hadn't dilated at all since the last check 3 hours prior1pm my husband and I talking through what we could do to "help things along" changing positions. Remaining calm.

And on these 'recall days' I can smell the hospital room. I get a shiver remembering how cold I was. Hearing that continual beeping of the monitor. I can taste the sweat running into my mouth as I got more and more upset and anxious. It is like I am back in Suite 4 and I pace around the house and insert things I should have said out-loud but at the time I didn't. At these times as it gets closer and closer to the time she was born I feel myself stretching and pulling at my belly in pain. The negotiations we had with my OB: Can we wait another hour and see if that works....  No I don't want an epidural "just in case". Days like that (mostly happen on a Thursday) I am so emotionally spent I feel exhausted and inevitably I cry and howl for hours on end as the time gets closer to being wheeled away to theatre.
I wish I could turn back time and at a few key times I wish I had maybe asked for more time, asked more questions.
I do love my daughter. I love her a lot. And feeling like I "hated" her birth is hard for me to sometimes separate the "birth" from my "child". I don't blame her of course. I had pre eclampsia and she was exhibiting signs of IUGR. My blood pressure was dangerously high and I had to be induced as I was close to complete placental failure.
I don't hate my OB, he is lovely and was then as well, and I believe he did the right things for me. Afterwards in the many many hours I have talked to him about it I understand that he initially wanted a c section much earlier in the day but he says he recognised that I really really wanted a vaginal birth and he agreed to my requests for more time to see if things would kick along more. He never once tried to bully or scare me into theatre. He calmly stated his opinion that she still high up and my cervix was very tight. He explained the heart monitor results and showed me when she was racing during certain times. He showed my husband and I in a little picture map he drew on a napkin that my cervix was swelling and how I just was not dilating at all past 4cm.
I am grieving for what I perceive as what I missed out on: my body working properly and pushing out a baby. I am grieving that I had a general and was asleep during her birth. That my husband had to wait outside. That I didn't get to see her for 7 hours until I left recovery. I am sad that my husband didn't get to catch her or hold her shoulders as she was delivered as we had hoped for. I feel like a failure: I was infertile. And so many IVF cycles later I finally fell pregnant. But due to both our medical needs she had to be born premature for her safety and for mine. I am angry that she went into Special Care and was tube fed. I am sad that we had to spend 27 nights in hospital as she grew stronger and gained weight and had a lot of testing for which I am thankful were all okay.
My therapist thinks it is a good idea for me to write the whole birth story out. In as much detail as I can so maybe that will help me. He says that I am normal, some women, like me are greatly upset about the child's birth. He said I am not a failure, I was just unfortunate. He told me to ignore the Mid Wife who on day 3 told me she wishes she still had her "honeymoon vagina" and had a c section because she has "never been the same again".
I feel sad. I feel lonely. I feel ostracised when I used to talk about it. I feel like I am so self indulgent for being sad about her birth, yet taking home a perfect happy healthy baby who brings us much joy.
I feel cheated that I can't fall pregnant again, after many more IVF attempts. Which compounds my fears that I will never have another child, when so many of my fellow IVF travelers are still waiting for their precious first. Guilt at that. Guilt at being so sensitive. Guilt that I have a child and my cousin had a 41 week stillborn son two months prior to my baby's birth. It consumes me.
I have had suggestions for AD, but I feel unsure about the ones that I have been offered as they are contraindicated with breastfeeding. I have asked about medication that is safe during BF and have been told (and researched myself independently) that there is still a risk to the baby. Some known risks and some "we just aren't sure of the long term impact on breast milk.."  
I get jealous when I read or hear of "perfect" natural births or when it is referred to as the most "empowering moment of my life" birth stories.
I feel selfish and like I should just move on. But it is so hard.

#2 GlitterFeralFarts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

oh honey!! How I wish I could reach through this computer and hug you so hard!!!  sad.gif  I can hear the pain in your post.

I am the worst when it comes to words. Others are so much better than me and I pray that they will be along soon.

But I wanted to say that you are not alone, and you will not get those responses here in my experience.

All I can say is that you are fully entitled to feel any way you want about your birth experience! If YOU feel it was traumatic, then it was!! Regardless of how someone else "might" have felt.

I'm so sorry that there is no one IRL who understands what you are going through. But there are women here who do. Don't be afraid to reach out. My pm's are always open if you need someone to simply talk to. I may not have had a c/s, but I understand how it feels when no one else understands.

I know it's a South Australian site, but maybe look at CARES

http://www.caresinc.org.au/

http://www.caresinc.org.au/resources/emotional-recovery/

Friends of mine who have had traumatic births say it really helped them, maybe it might for you too.

oh sweetie, I wish I could be more help bbighug.gif

Feel free to vent and process here as much as you like.

hhugs.gif

Edited by Freakypet, 15 November 2012 - 12:42 AM.

#3 CretaceousFeral

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

I don't have time to write a proper reply now but I couldn't leave without saying something. I too had a traumatic birth experience and my baby spent the first 6 weeks of his life in intensive care. Like you I didn't meet him until about 12 hours after the birth. The weird thing is that whenever I think of him as a newborn, that time in hospital looms as the main memory, even though it was "only" 6 weeks out of many months. I also have regrets about that time and wish I could change some things. They haunt me and I don't talk about them because, like you, people seem to feel the need to be positive but don't realise that in the process they are negating your feelings and essentially saying "what you went through doesn't matter". It does matter. It's hard for me to let go too.

It's fantastic you are seeing someone. Never mind that you're paying them. What's important is that you can let yourself properly acknowledge your feelings and not try to minimise them. They need a chance to find their place in your heart and mind.

Also, with the AD thing, I'm in the same boat. Still BF and even though my doctor says they're safe, I'm not convinced and won't take the risk. But what I have done that's helped is had blood tests to see what else might be affecting my mood. Vit D deficiency in my case but could have been many things. Perhaps worth trying?

I wish you the best of luck in a really difficult situation  bbighug.gif

p.s. I'm happy for you to pm me if you want

Edited by UgglePuggle, 15 November 2012 - 12:39 AM.

#4 Feral Nicety

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

It is hard.  It really sucks.  So much which is so painful.

But at some stage you really do have to look at finding what works to help you move on.  Does your current psych offer CBT?  Revisiting your pain on a Thursday is not a longterm helpful thing.

#5 EBmember7

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

Thank you for your swift replies. I wasn't really expecting anyone to respond. I am so glad that I wrote my post after months of thinking it over.
I too wish for a hug from someone who will just hold me while I cry and not be scared away. Or judge me.
I don't like the idea of AD, but I accept that I might need extra support so I have it on my list to ask again about. I love breastfeeding: I think part of me sees it as my body actually working and doing as it is "supposed" to. I know that is not the case for all Mums. And I feel sorry for any Mum who wants to BF but for a million reasons didn't happen for them. I am lucky in that way that I can finally do something for my bubba that feels important. That's not in anyway to upset the women who can't/don't want to/couldn't etc. it's just a private little joy of mine that makes me feel a small part like I am making up for my baby not having a vaginal birth. And we all know there are pages and pages of reasons why a natural birth helps the child etc etc.
I sort of resent having to see a therapist... It was very very hard to go and see him the first time (actually its still hard a year and a bit later to go) I wish I had a close girlfriend or family member who could support me rather than paying someone to be "my friend" I know it's not that way in reality. I see it similar as to when the car breaks down, you pay for a mechanic etc..  Not everyone has a friend who can "fix" cars. Or "fix" broken hearts like mine.
I wonder endlessly if I am a bad mother. Does my sadness impact on my little girl? Does she know that I feel this way about her birth? Will she understand when she gets older that I did love her, just not straight away. I don't want to do anything that would make her need therapy in the future because of me!! I am committed to seeing him until I feel "better". And for me, "better" would include not crying every time her birth is mentioned. Not dreading her birthday as it reminds me of my failure and sadness. And "better" would certainly include somehow halting these frightening Thursday replays of her birth.
I am awed that a few ladies replied so quickly, giving me some hope that I am not so alone.
Thank you very much, honestly you have really helped me. Especially as tomorrow is Thursday. Thank you very much.

#6 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

I'm so sorry you had such a horrible experience. A lot of what you said resonated with me.

DH and I tried several rounds of IVF before eventually falling pregnant naturally. We were diagnosed with male factor infertility, but nonetheless, despite all logic saying otherwise, I felt defective because I wasn't able to get pregnant. When it finally came to having that baby, I was determined that I'd seen enough intervention in this baby journey, I wanted my body to do what it was supposed to and give birth as naturally as possible. When it didn't work out that way and I ended up with a c-section, I was devastated. I had my beautiful baby girl, everything I had wanted, but I felt like I'd cheated to get there. No logic to it, none whatsoever - but that's how the human mind works. And I felt like I'd been cheated of those first precious moments with her. I was so out of it when they lay her next to me that I don't even remember it. I remember lying in recovery all alone later on, but I don't remember the first time I saw my little girl. My MIL loves to reminisce about the first hours of DD1's life, how wonderful it was seeing the brand new baby, and every time I want to cry because it brings back all those feelings of how I missed out on it.

On top of that, I think people who have been through fertility treatments are just expected to be supremely grateful that we have a baby at all, and that should cancel out any negatives that may have happened. That if we were ok with intervention to get the baby into us, we shouldn't have a problem with intervention to get him/her out. But to my mind, the fact that intervention was required in the first place is what made it so much MORE important to me to have some part of the process without poking, prodding, needles, and complete lack of participation.

So I get you, I really do. I hope your counsellor is helping, and I hope you can come up with some strategies to regain a sense of control. And try to get some exercise, I've found that helps with my moods more than anything else, even antidepressants.

#7 MrsLightyear

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

bbighug.gif I'm not a great one with words but I couldn't read and not respond.. Thank you for finding the courage to write this post. I belive it is so important for women to share these stories, so that others who have also experienced traumatic births can reach out to others who "get it" and so that the women who don't get it can build a better understanding. I hope you find this forum to be safe place where you can vent and debrief as much as you need.

QUOTE (EBmember7 @ 15/11/2012, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been compounded by hash comments about our IVF history. "You couldn't have even had this baby if it wasn't for medical intervention. She started in a non-natural way" Some express disbelief that I would even care "now that I have my take home baby"

sad.gif I am so sorry that people have said these words to you.

#8 Inigo Montoya

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

I've been avoiding this section after my own birth trauma 3 months ago, but came in from the "latest posts" on the side.

I have recently been diagnosed with PTSD after the birth of my son. I am so sick of hearing "but you have a healthy baby! All is fine now. Well you can't change what happened", etc. People don't understand.

I want to write a long reply but I just can't find the words.

I did choose to start anti depressants despite breastfeeding though.

All the best.

#9 Mummalovin

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

Could have written most of your post myself.  Had to use IVF and after 9 years got our first positive preg test to go on and have DS and DD1 at 34 weeks due to preeclampsia.  All the plans for anything natural went out the window sad.gif  DD1 required some "extra attention" to get her breathing so for what seemed like ages we waited for our 1st born (by 2 minutes ) to cry.  Bad reaction to the epidural had me sick for about 24 hrs.

2.5 yrs later we went back for a frozen transfer.  DD2 & 3 arrived at 38 via c-section again due to transverse positions.  Thought I knew what I was in for but had an even worse experience due to hypovolemic shock.  I ended up in high dependency (ICU) for the day. The girls were born at 8am, I can remember seeing DH holding one of the girls, it was dark outside and I wondered if I'd get to hold them.

There has been nothing natural about my journey to motherhood and I think that because I had to use IVF I felt that I shouldn't complain about anything, after all I finally got what I wanted (and WAY more )  It took me a fair while and some help, meds and therapy, to reach a point where I am better with it all.  I can look back now, my little girls at 7, and I feel like I've moved on.  That is until I watch a show on TV that has a traumatic birth then I just lose it sad.gif

I guess after all my rambling I'm trying to say - please know you are not alone and there are people here who will listen.  It's great that you are seeing someone and have got onto it early.  The way we get pregnant doesn't make any of the experiences that come after that point any less valid because we "finally got what we wanted so we shouldn't complain"

Take care original.gif

#10 Eirinn

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

Believe me, there are plenty of us out there who can relate and completely sympathise. It's just that as you have found out, no one IRL will let you talk about it.

Your feelings are all perfectly valid. You can feel grateful and blessed for your beautiful baby, AND feel grief and trauma about her birth. The two are not mutually exclusive, no matter what anyone tells you.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I have had two unwanted caesars and there will always be a part of me that carries shame and sadness.

If you want a sounding board, feel free to PM me.

bbighug.gif

#11 BeachedAsBro

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

Thank you for bravely sharing your story. I know that took great courage.

If you haven't already, please see your GP to arrange for some counseling. Seeing my psychologist has saved my life. I was not suicidal at all, but I was metaphorically dead inside. I couldn't sleep, was comfort eating, for about three months I was in a state of constant trauma and flashback.

I wish you well.

#12 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

I don't really have any advice above what others have written I only wanted to say that on this board you will NEVER be told that you should be happy because you have a healthy baby. If you ever feel the need to vent, let off steam or just be around people who understand what it's like to have a traumatic birth experience come on here. We'll all give you a virtual group hug!

#13 liveworkplay

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

I sorry you are having such a hard time moving on from the birth of your beautiful daughter. What makes a birth traumatic differs from person to person and those who are trying to help in their own inept way should realise that.  Most people would class my second birth as traumatic and are shocked when I say I was really happy with it and was on a high for days after.

What I will say is that I have birthed just about every way one can except induction (c/s, posterior assisted delivery with epidural and totally drug free vaginal delivery) and each and every one of my births were amazing and special in their own right. I hope you can find the help to move past your trauma and come out the other end. Good Luck

#14 feralisles

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hi OP,

Another one here who can relate to your pain.  I too had an induction for pre-eclampsia, and whilst I didn't end up with a Caeserian I found the whole experience hideous.  I couldn't stop vomiting and shaking after the birth, it was over an hour before I was well enough to hold my newborn.  There was no rush of love for us either, I felt so shocked and violated that there was no room for anything else to register.  She might as well have been an alien handed to me to raise!

That little baby is now a teenager, and I just thought you might like to know that the horrible beginning to our relationship doesn't seem to have had a long term impact.  She is the best thing that ever happened to me (and she knows it).  I love her more than I ever thought it was possible to love someone, and somehow along the way the circumstances of her arrival have faded into the back of my memory and no longer hurt like they used to.

I hope it works out that way for you too OP.  Wanting a baby for a long time and needing help to conceive doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't be disappointed by what happened,  if anything your hopes and expectations were probably higher because you had so long to think about and plan for her arrival.  None of this makes you any less of a mother so please don't feel guilty.  What happened isn't your fault, and the way you feel is natural in the circumstances.  The joy of watching your daughter grow up should start to balance out the pain surrounding the circumstances of her arrival.  If it doesn't it may be worth considering whether there is something else going on (eg depression, which can keep you 'stuck' in the dark places in your mind).

All the best OP.  I think the motherhood journey just keeps getting better, which means the best is still ahead for you!

#15 DreamFeralisations

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (EBmember7 @ 15/11/2012, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sort of resent having to see a therapist... It was very very hard to go and see him the first time (actually its still hard a year and a bit later to go) I wish I had a close girlfriend or family member who could support me rather than paying someone to be "my friend" I know it's not that way in reality.

I came in from recent posts - I am so sorry that you went through all of that, are going through this and people are so thoughtless in their responses to you.

Don't add to your stress that you are going to a "paid therapist" - they are the BEST people to get such things out with, because we don't have to tip-toe around how they will react and the long-term ramifications of how it will affect the family/friendship.

They are there to support you and help you to develop tools to try and lessen the impact of a trauma.

You (we all) do need to learn the tools we require when we are going through a grieving process.  You have to be allowed to grieve for the you that went through that traumatic experience, you need to be able to validate your power or lack of power due to the circumstances that you, nor your body, could control.  It is OKAY to feel this and to process this is whatever way you need to.  

It will take time - it may not ever end - but hopefully, your therapist will work with you to develop ways that you can channel your grief into a healing also, so that you won't have a weekly immersion in the horror but move towards a weekly ritual of forgiving your body for letting you down when your mind and soul wanted so much to be different - and perhaps of forgiving your mind for constantly attacking you when you did the best that you possibly could have.

I didn't have a traumatic birth on your scale - I had other issues where I needed to learn my own techniques, and have had friends go through their own issues.

For me, AD's helped in that they stopped my mind from cycling into a chasm of despair at every turn, but I really think that you do need the space, time and tools to get through this whole process.

When my daughter's father died, I asked my doctor for a therapist's name, and he said "what, don't you have friends you can talk to" - having a friend who will hold you while you cry, or keep the baby safe while you have a shower and scream - would be truly wonderful indeed, but the fact is that we edit our traumas to our friends to shield them, and sometimes resent them for this edit - get someone who you care $90-worth about and scream and cry with them in the room.  They ALWAYS have tissues available.

That being said, I have, over my life, seen 5 therapists - 2 were wonderful, 3 were not a fit for me.  Sometimes you can shop around a bit if you still aren't comfortable.  

(The last one who wasn't had a lovely family shot on her desk of the whole nuclear shebang - it was the equivalent of "but you have a HEALTHY babyZ" to me in my situation at that time)

#16 Natttmumm

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

A friend of mine said to me the other day how disappointed she was that she ended up with a caesar birth. She too had ivf and felt nothing was natural. I said to her "maybe focus on how your baby is healthy and happy". After reading your post I feel like ringing her to say sorry. I truly thought that was the right thing to say. I will never say that again.
I feel like a bad friend.

#17 R2B2

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

You are not alone  hheart.gif  

People who say things like "be greatful you have a healthy baby" do.not.understand. nor will they ever understand unless they have walked in birth trauma shoes.

thank you for being brave enough to share you story. it takes a lot of courage to talk about something so painful.

I wish there was more I could say/offer you. time can make it easier. i'm 6 years down the track from my own traumatic birth and it does get slightly easier with time.

Just wanted to assure you that there are people out there who DO understand and are not here to judge.

#18 BeachedAsBro

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Natttmumm @ 17/11/2012, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A friend of mine said to me the other day how disappointed she was that she ended up with a caesar birth. She too had ivf and felt nothing was natural. I said to her "maybe focus on how your baby is healthy and happy". After reading your post I feel like ringing her to say sorry. I truly thought that was the right thing to say. I will never say that again.
I feel like a bad friend.

Please don't feel bad. It's in our nature to say things to try and find the positive original.gif I assure you, that you are a good friend. You sound like you care a great deal for your friend.

#19 EBmember7

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

Hi
I have just read all the replies. I think after I poured everything out I just had to hide a bit. I was petrified I would get nasty replies.
I am so sad today. I slept the weekend away. I can't seem to face the world.
Thank you to the kind women who replied.

#20 ~kacee~

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

I am another who knows very much how you feel.

DS was a much hoped for and planned VBAC attempt. After 41 hours of labour, I ended up with a c-section from the on-call ob. At the 6 week post-natal check up, my regular ob commented that she wouldn't have given me a c-section at that time, and would have let me go longer. All of a sudden the reasons the on-call ob gave me for having a c-section felt like a lie (so we differ here in that I do blame the ob, as well as myself for not fighting more).

This is the first time I've written / talked about it in months (DS is 5 months old now) as I also found people couldn't understand, didn't want to hear, or it was just too hard on me reliving it.

How long ago did you have your DD?

I have found that my day to day life is better now. It's only when I have something come up (eg a friend's birth, births on tv etc) that I fall to pieces again. However, I am viewing that as progress!

I think it's great that you are seeing someone. I've considered it, but I'm not sure yet. I probably should.

Anyway, just know that you aren't alone, your feelings are completely valid, and that hopefully the feeling will dull as time passes.

#21 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hi

So sorry you are going though this.  

My son is also an IVF baby and I so desperately wanted a natural birth.  I did classes and acupucture and drank special tea and even bought one of those Epi-no thingies.   It was all thrown out the window when I developed shingles and had to be induced early.  Unsurprisingly labour went nowhere, I had a CS and woke up to find my boy being whisked off to a different hospital with suspected chicken pox.  

I was a total mess.  I couldn't even think about it without crying.  I had to go back to the hospital a week later for a whooping cough scare and started having flashbacks.   I talked it over pretty obsessively.  Luckily a few in my MG also had bad experiences and didn't mind listening.  I also went to a therapist and did CBT.   Gradually I found myself being able to speak about it and consider it as just something that happened, that I wish happened differently.  It took about 6-7 months to get to that stage.  I'm very grateful it didn't last longer.

Please think about the ADs if your doctors are recommending them.  It may be something you need at this stage.

#22 MrsW87

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

I wish I had some amazing advice to help you, but I don't. I only have sympathy because I went through the same thing, minus the IVF. The hurtful comments, the disbelief from people that I care about how he was born, the envy and resent for people that had a natural birth, the PND and PTSD because of it all. The worst was people calling me 'precious' and other names like that because I was so sensitive about everything to do with birth and babies, and this was all compacted by the fact that I was unable to breastfeed him past 6 weeks as well as the sleep deprivation, and the whole shock of becoming a mum.

I can tell you that it does get better. DS is 2.5 and I still don't think I am over it as such, but I am at peace with it. I too saw a psychologist about it, and while I feel she didn't really fix me in a sense, she let me talk about it again, and again, and again, until I had spoken myself out about it. Once this had happened, it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I started to feel 'okay' with everything.

The other thing I did, which my psychologist told me to do, was to be honest with people, and tell them that I has issues, and be serious about it. This helped me alot because people were a little more sensitive with me about it.

You will feel better op. No one can tell you when, but you will.

#23 EBmember7

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

It was very hard. I re-read my OP. sorry for the spelling errors. Wow I didnt think it would make me sad that much reading it.
My DD is now 3.5. I tell her everyday that I love her. I am scared that if I don't tell her then maybe I will forget that I do love her. So I keep repeating it. Over and over.
I simply can't watch pregnant/birth shows at all. I have tried... But I get too distressed.
I have been called selfish, self indulgent, mean, unmaternal, irrational, crazy, attention seeking and a hypochondriac.
I very very much want another child. Sadly, IVF isn't working and part of me think that my body is "blocking" the cycle working because I am in such fear with another birth.

#24 chicken_bits

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

I came here through "we are discussing" as well.

I am so sorry OP that you haven't been supported IRL the way that you deserve to be.

I don't have advice regarding how to deal with birth trauma because I don't have any experience in that, but I do want to say that your feelings are perfectly valid.

As far as ADs are concerned, I think that there is more to consider than just contraindications for breastfeeding. Such as how your mental health is affecting your quality of life as well as your child's. While you may feel as though your DD's health or potential risk of harm from taking AD's while breastfeeding is important, you should also consider your own health and how your physical and mental wellbeing is important. A happy and healthy mum = happy and healthy child. You said in your second post that your DD is 3.5. Are you still bfing her? If so, how often? There are many ADs on the market that have been proven to be "safe" while pregnant and breastfeeding. And a psychiatrist who specialises in Maternal Wellbeing would be someone who could give you more information regarding this.

And I say the above from the point of view that I suffer from maternal anxiety (both during pregnancy and post partum). Without medication I would not be able to care for my DD as well as I am now and I believe that the benefits far outweigh the risks in my particular situation.

All the best OP.

#25 EBmember7

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

She still BF feeds once a night. Very occasionally a dream feed as well but not always. I could probably easily wean her just by not offering. I am okay with weaning her to take the AD I agree with PP a happy Mum IS very important. These are some other AD that have been suggested so I can do some research;
PrestiqueLexaproArrapax
Does anyone have any experience with these? I don't want "medical advice"Just any personal experience. Success stories? Red flags?  
Can I also ask, does your second, third etc child "help" with previous birth trauma in your experience?
This Thursday I going to make myself super busy all day and see if that makes a difference. Maybe if I take the plunge and leave the house keep busy it will make a positive difference.
Ladies, thank you very much again. I have never been so supported.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.