How available should food be for your kids?
I feel like my kitchen is open 24/7!!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 jm3

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Are you strict and serve three meals a day and offer fruit in between only OR do you let them graze as they want?

I know it's a big spectrum but I'm so sick of going food shopping because two days later we're out of 'stuff'.  I'm not talking about junk food here either (for the most part).  It could be strawberries, watermelon and other fruit, or yoghurt, or toast or whatever...

My four year old is particularly bad and seems to want to eat when she's bored and doesn't take too kindly to being told to wait for tea.

I think I've very generous in what goes in the lunch box each day too - way more than I see other kids get at school.

For what it's worth - 12 year old is very active and skinny as a rake and four year old has always been on the 97% percentile for height and weight.

How does your family approach the food situation?

#2 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

My 4 yr old is the same, she'll ask for something to eat right after dinner.
I don't let mine snack for about an hour before dinner, they can eat when they like as long as it's healthy.  They aren't allowed to eat stuff after dinner if they didn't eat it.  Other than those  rules it's fairly open
This might sound bad but my little ones are better behaved when they are well fed.
Things like watermelon, grapes, strawberries etc don't really fill them up much.
I totally know the feeling of going shopping and 2 days later there is nothing left, story of my life.

#3 i-candi

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I close the kitchen after dinner cleanup. Kids can still get drinks though.

My kids only eat 3 times a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have never had an afternoon snack, ok once in a while DD will eat an apple or some cheese.

I will add that DD is a rake and never EVER stops, she doesn't walk through the house - she does cartwheels. DS is overweight, he is totally inactive and is on medication.

#4 jm3

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (i-candi @ 14/11/2012, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My kids only eat 3 times a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. They have never had an afternoon snack, ok once in a while DD will eat an apple or some cheese.

Have you just never offered afternoon snack or do they never seem to want it?

My 12 year old expects something after school - totally expects it and would probably be horrified if I said no!  LOL!

#5 girltribe4

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

They graze , mainly on fruit & toast but they like to have cereal any time of the day too. My 11yr old is a failure to thrive and the others are all well below average , they are all fairly active and for the moment I feel we have the balance right.

#6 jm3

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (Mummyone1 @ 14/11/2012, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 4 yr old is the same, she'll ask for something to eat right after dinner.
I don't let mine snack for about an hour before dinner, they can eat when they like as long as it's healthy.  They aren't allowed to eat stuff after dinner if they didn't eat it.  Other than those  rules it's fairly open
This might sound bad but my little ones are better behaved when they are well fed.
Things like watermelon, grapes, strawberries etc don't really fill them up much.
I totally know the feeling of going shopping and 2 days later there is nothing left, story of my life.

With my four year old I've come to the point that I feed her when she asks for food rather than by the clock because otherwise she would be eating all day!  Well it feels like that anyway.  I think when she starts school next year that should improve given that she won't be able to eat as she wants.  I'm all for offering protein type snacks but kids don't seem to want that... they want fruit or biscuits/unhealthy options.

#7 fringe82

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Mine have 3 meals a day & 1-2 snacks a day.

If they ask for a bit of fruit or rice cracker etc in the morning or afternoon then I will let them have something.... other times of the day I wont and after dinner nothing as they usually have not even finished their dinner.

If my 4 had free run on the kitchen they would never stop eating... ever!!

#8 i-candi

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (jm3 @ 14/11/2012, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you just never offered afternoon snack or do they never seem to want it?

My 12 year old expects something after school - totally expects it and would probably be horrified if I said no!  LOL!

Never ask for it so I've never offered it. DS (who is 13) quite often doesn't even eat his lunch - too busy getting to the library at lunch time to snag a computer  rolleyes.gif

The days that DD (who is 10) asks for a snack she can have cheese or fruit (her fave at the moment is apple).

Edited by i-candi, 14 November 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#9 Buggylicious

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

food is available round the clock here, I have very thin children they need every bite I can get in to them.

#10 halcyondays

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

My toddlers graze throughout the day. I control what I offer them, but they can eat it whenever they want. My teenagers have a set shelf in the fridge and shelf in the pantry that they can help themselves to- otherwise I would end up with patchy bits and bobs left for dinner.

I grew up in a house where there was very little edible food (lots of dry lentils and uncooked rice etc, but nothing ready to eat without a fair bit of cooking) and remember the horrible feeling of being hungry and not being able to concentrate on anything other than thinking about food.

I keep very little junk food, so don't mind what they eat.

I top up shop every 2-3 days.

#11 EssentialBludger

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (i-candi @ 14/11/2012, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I close the kitchen after dinner cleanup. Kids can still get drinks though.

I will add that DD is a rake and never EVER stops, she doesn't walk through the house - she does cartwheels. DS is overweight, he is totally inactive and is on medication.

Don't they have recess at school?

Mine can graze as they please, but know they have to ask for the "junky" type stuff. They can eat as much fruit as they like.

I myself personally don't have three strict meals a day, and prefer to graze. Breakfast here is non-negotiable for school age DD, and I obviously pack her lunch. DS who is home with me all day can eat at whatever time he likes. Dinners are on the light side as they're fussy and not particularly hungry at dinner time - no matter if I've let them graze or not.

#12 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

We graze here.
I hardly get hungry and tried having set meals with DD but found she ate more if she grazed over the day.

#13 ReadySetRace

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

We have 3 meals plus morning and afternoon tea. In between, they can have fruit and a glass of milk.

I decide what they eat for meals and snacks.  FWIW, we are all skinny.

#14 sparkles30

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

My four year old seems to want food every hour, and the 18 month old wants anything her big sister is having! Both are pretty skinny.

I'm thinking about getting stricter as I am getting sick of being the snack machine all day long. I find it great on pre-school days when I pack her a large bag of food and then I'm done with it for the day. Surely breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper should be enough.

We don't have set times for meals, although breakfast is on as soon as they get up and I've brought forward dinner to 5pm to cut out some of the snacking, and then just offer some fruit, milk, cheese etc at about 6.30-7pm to get them through the night.

#15 Chocolate Addict

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

My 7yo is a grazer. He eats throughout the day but usually once he has had dinner that is it. Although as he eats dinner around 5.30/6pm occasionally he asks for something to eat later, but usually just some bread (plain, straight out of the packet).

He has major league food issues so not too strict on what he eats. He doesn't eat chips/chocolate/sweet foods etc by choice. mostly lives on bread and peanut butter!lol

Edited by Chocolate Addict, 14 November 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#16 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Buggylicious @ 14/11/2012, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
food is available round the clock here, I have very thin children they need every bite I can get in to them.

Same here, only 1 of mine is a little overweight the rest are all super skinny so I encourage eating.

#17 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

My kids tend to just graze. I prefer them to eat more often and smaller meals than 3 large meals anyway.

#18 Bel Rowley

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

My kids eat throughout the day but they don't have open slather. I know more often than not 4yo DD asks for food because she's bored rather than because she's hungry. Funny how if I suggest something healthy rather than junk the hunger suddenly goes away. They are generally allowed to have snacks whenever during the day, but after dinner, dessert and bath there's nothing more even if they ask for it.

#19 JJ

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Food is available around the clock here. My kids like to graze and are self-regulating... always have been, pretty much. There's the odd occasion where I ask them to take a break if they've been pigging out a bit, or not to eat anything else because dinner is just around the corner, but that's rare.

At a friend's place the food is all rationed (more for financial reasons than anything else) and it drives me nuts to see her kids constantly beg for food. It has become a bit of an obsession for them and I think it can't be healthy for them. I guess that's the other end of the spectrum.

We sometimes have kids around who go nuts when they realise the food is just available here. Maybe it's because they're not used to it or maybe they would be like that all the time - not sure. I know our arrangement doesn't work for everyone.

Edited by JJ, 15 November 2012 - 08:50 AM.

#20 Carmen02

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

my 10yr old wouldnt stop eating if she had the choice and she is on the heavier side, fruit is available all day but anything other then that nope. But then it comes to DS his 8 and is super skinny and has an extremely limited diet I would love if he ate more its one extreme to the other with my two lol

#21 Kay1

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

My 4 year old is driving me crazy. He asks for food every 2 mins. I know a lot of it is boredom/attention seeking because I am busy with the baby. To save my sanity I pack him a lunchbox and he has to carry it in his backpack when we go out. It has been working well but today I packed him a lunchbox for the day and he just came and asked for food. By 10am he had eaten: cut up apple, small bunch of grapes, piece of banana loaf, le snack, two snack right fruit biscuits, a vegemite sandwich and several sticks of cheese!!! ohmy.gif

And yes he had breakfast!

#22 niggles

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

The fruit bowl is always available. After dinner, my 4 year old has milk and a milk arrowroot and nothing more.

Between breakfast and lunch we have a toast break and when DD asks for food I offer fruit. She usually says no.

Between lunch and dinner I prepare a snack and she can have fruit whenever she wants but usually only really wants it once.

She asks for food much more often than this but she's really just bored and not hungry. If she was hungry she'd help herself to the fruit bowl.

#23 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Family of grazers here.   Everyone is expected to have a decent breakfast, but I don't like big meals myself, so don't expect the kids to.  We do have a fairly consistent routine through, so it's not a free for all.

#24 lafonda

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

DS is constantly asking for food. He is 4 next month and every second sentence is "I'm hungry" "I'm still hungry"

I never know whether to let him keep eating or not.

He snacks on cheese, yoghurt, weetbix, le snacks, fruit bars and bananas

#25 Nofliesonme

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Food is available when they need it, if it's a sometimes food it's on the highest shelf, everything else is open to be eaten, but I bought yesterday 8 apples, 8 banana and 8 oranges, 1/4 watermelon and today I have 2 bananas and 5 apples and 6 oranges left, so tomorrow
I have to get more fruit, I bought a kilo of turkey on Tuesday and there is none left after today's lunch..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.