Poo poo bum bum

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Born Three

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

My DD who is 4 and a few months is obsessed with bottoms and poo.

There is the constant talking about it ... Like she's being rude or naughty. She also encourages DS at 2.5 ish so I have both of them do it. Bath time involves bum slapping and poking ALL THE TIME.

I am so over it! I have tried ignoring the behaviour but it seems to have gotten worse. Now I just say bottoms are private and she's not to encourage her brother to touch hers and that talking about poo is yucky. Bath time is cut short as soon as she starts wriggling it in his face.

Any ideas on how to discourage this obsession?

edit title as too similar to another thread

Edited by Born Three, 14 November 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#2 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

take away certain privileges when she starts up with the behaviour?
reward chart, go x amount of time without mentioning it and she gets a reward of some sort?

Have you asked her why she is so interested in it? why she does it? Do you think it is just to get a rise out of you or for some other reason?

#3 Ianthe

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

I would probably giggle to myself ninja.gif

Kids think bums are hilarious. They outgrow it.

#4 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Bath them seperately?  but yeah bums are pretty funny at that age.

#5 opethmum

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

How about bathing them separately from now on and rehashing your night time routine that way they do not do this and they get a little privacy. Not that they should be ashamed of their bodies but I think since your DD is getting older I think that she could do some damage if she is not careful and visa versa.

#6 Broxie

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

I still think bums are funny  ph34r.gif

#7 froggy1

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Don't worry about it - just a stage. I would giggle secretly. My girls have finally started growing out of the stage of singing loud songs about their vagina (I'm sure the neighbours could hear). Eventually, self-consciousness kicks in. Don't sweat it. :-)

#8 Paddy2

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, exactly the same here. 4.5 DD and 2.5 DS. I ignore it up to a point, but if it gets too out of control I give warnings. Three warnings and something gets taken away. Works for us.

#9 Hootabelles

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

OMG...jut spewwed my coffee everywhere in laughter reading this.  My DD 4 in 4 weeks HAS.NOT.STOPPED saying and talking about this since she started kinder.  She thinks it is hilarious and I'm just constantly telling her 'nice girls don't talk like that' to no avail.  She makes up songs and dances and her 18month old sister thinks she is hilarious.
I've given up..especially when I was out walking the other day and I saw a dad and son bike riding, the son turned to a friend and yelled ' Bye poopoo head".  Dad yelled at him to stop being rude and the son was laughing his head off singing about poopoobumbums.  It actually made me feel better about my DD's obsession. (hence why I spewed my coffee when I read the topic laughing2.gif

#10 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Just a stage, wait till they become obsessed with farting.....

#11 *Finn*

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Glad to hear I dont have the only child who sings about poo poo and bum bums. He also sits in the car encourging his sister to say penis and willy. I try to ignore it but when we are out in public he generally needs a stern reminder that its not ok.

#12 NATPR

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

My son does do this and my 2yo DD, and all their freinds.

They think bums, poos, fanny's, doodle's are all hillarious.  ..their cousins are the same also. I stopped reacting and it as slowed down a fair bit.  When we are out I just give them 'the look'.

Although DH accidently did a break of wind at breakfast time and I think you would have heard the laughter all the way to Ularu!

#13 Jacina

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Born Three @ 14/11/2012, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My DD who is 4 and a few months is obsessed with bottoms and poo.

There is the constant talking about it ... Like she's being rude or naughty. She also encourages DS at 2.5 ish so I have both of them do it. Bath time involves bum slapping and poking ALL THE TIME.

I am so over it! I have tried ignoring the behaviour but it seems to have gotten worse. Now I just say bottoms are private and she's not to encourage her brother to touch hers and that talking about poo is yucky. Bath time is cut short as soon as she starts wriggling it in his face.

Any ideas on how to discourage this obsession?

edit title as too similar to another thread

Maybe she is picking it up from you? Do you say poo and bum a lot? Has she seen you wriggling your bum in your DPs face?

#14 FeralBob!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

It's a stage they go through. My DD5 is going through it ATM  rolleyes.gif

#15 *Finn*

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (Jacina @ 29/11/2012, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe she is picking it up from you? Do you say poo and bum a lot? Has she seen you wriggling your bum in your DPs face?

Huh? am i missing something?

#16 minidiamond

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

True story: DS4, son of a relative of mine announced in the fish and chip shop the other day: "My willy is the centre of the universe".

My DH makes up plenty of poo and boobie songs for DS, thankfully he can't understand yet.

I think they'll grow out of it.

#17 Jacina

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (*Finn* @ 29/11/2012, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huh? am i missing something?

Yes. A sense of humour.

#18 Feral Borgia

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

My son (6) was JUST growing out of this stage until someone gave him a whoopee cushion for his birthday ...sigh. Apparently bums, poo and farts are hilarious...certainly made Benny Hill a lot of money! In the end we ignored it as much as we could, and it died down ...

#19 tres

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Bums and what comes out of them - hilarious! I don't think they grow out of it either - the other night on QI the five adults on the panel were all laughing over fart jokes.

#20 FrmGrdnGirl

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

This is a fabulous post, I haven't stopped laughing. My DS5 and DS2.5 think their nuddy bottom dance is hysterical, I have to lock myself in the laundry cupboard so they won't find me whilst I am laughing fit to burst. They have also taken to wearing their underpants on their heads, making sure the hair sticks out the leg holes like ears and being undies monsters.

They only do the bottom dance when I have gotten them out of the bath, not in the bath thank goodness. Although the youngest did it in the pool change-room last week to my great embarrassment.

I have told them it is only for at home, and if they don't do it when we are out I sing them a ridiculous song I made up about stinky underpants as a reward. They love the song so much that the threat of not having fun with Mum after the bath is enough to get them to stop....majority of the time.

A friend who has two boys has the problem that they love to strip to their underwear and wrestle on the lawn, they even thought it was hysterical when she gave up trying to get them inside on a hot day and turned the sprinklers on. And a friends little girl keeps getting herself undressed and running around naked.

A mother of six once told me to just pick my battles, and as long as they were not getting hurt, or being totally gross when in public, just to let it go they will grow out of it...(But I got it on tape one day so that we can all have a good laugh together when they are older).

#21 ~flaxen~

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Bahahahahahahaha roll2.gif

Bums ARE funny. The word bum is funny. Girls usually tend to grow out of that stage. Boys...well I'm still waiting.

#22 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Do they go to daycare?  My 4 year old DD comes home with lots of poo/bum/fart talk from there.

#23 littleboysmum

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

As pps have said, it really is just a stage. It is very common to find poo poo bum bum funny at that age. My niece is in Year 2 and has only just recently stopped thinking this was hilarious.

\

#24 FrmGrdnGirl

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (~flaxen~ @ 29/11/2012, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bahahahahahahaha roll2.gif  Bums ARE funny. The word bum is funny. Girls usually tend to grow out of that stage. Boys...well I'm still waiting.

Too true, too true, my DH and his brother are both very well educated men who are mostly gentlemen, but when they get together inevitably the conversation takes the downwind nose dive into the "bottom" of the gassy barrel.

In order to stay sane I will vainly keep up my mantra "I love my boys, they will grow out of this".

On a side note I was informed on Monday by my gorgeous nephew 4, that he was more intelligent than others because he has a second brain ..... in his bum. His mother told me not to laugh .... how do you not laugh in appreciation for that sort of cheekiness.

#25 boatiebabe

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Bums are kinda funny!

DD8 has kinda outgrown it - she loves a loud fart though! but the rest of us DH48 Me 44 and DS6 still laugh a lot about bums and poo and all other related bum stuff.

We call it the "cornholio" at our house (some of you may be too young for the Beavis and Butthead reference). Always funny.

Nobody pokes their fingers in anyone else's though. I would put a stop to that!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

My four months of breastfeeding madness

You imagine that everyone is thinking badly of you, and you tell yourself you have to keep trying. Even though you are in an impossible situation, you still won't give yourself a break.

Little girl's foul-mouthed ice bucket challenge viewed by millions

It starts out innocently enough, but soon Scarlett-Rose Davis is letting loose with an emphatic swearword.

Australian push for compensated surrogacy

A team of Australia fertility experts has advocated legalising commercial surrogacy.

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Daycare death shows licensing need

A baby's tragic death in a family daycare centre has underlined a need for better licensing laws in the US.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.