Anchor Points in 2010 Hilux

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bunny Mumma

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

We have a 2010 Hilux which only has 2 anchor points, and we are expecting baby #3. We've tried getting another anchor point installed by an authorised child restraint fitting station and they all say it's illegal and can't be done unless by an engineer. We've tried several engineers who have all said it can't be done. We have heard of several people on various forums who have had a 3rd anchor point successfully installed in this model hilux. Has anyone here had that done? If so, where/who has installed it for you? We are desperate to keep the car as DH and I can't agree on a replacement! rolleyes.gif

#2 ras500

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

We have an older hilux but planned to upgrade when we fell Pg with #3 but were told by Toyota and various Toyota dealers that you cannot put a 3rd anchor point in legally in Hilux's of any year model, so we had to buy a different car sad.gif

#3 2anewme

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

The 2012 Hilux has spots for 3 restraints - the middle seat however is only a lap belt so not much use really

#4 Bunny Mumma

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Thanks ras500. I guess that solves that problem. What car did you end up getting? We're thinking it'll have to be a landcruiser (DH is deadset toyota man).

#5 azalia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

In any model bar the brand new one, you can only anchor 2 points. The middle seat is a lap only though so fairly useless for most car seats.

It can however be used for some capsules, but as soon as you need a proper seat in there you will not be able to use it.  

Dh has a 2008 Hilux, we can only ever have 2 kids in there, so it doenst get driven much. He will be changing over to a Landcruiser in the coming year. I have a Kluger (we are also avid Toyota drivers!)

#6 midstudentcatie

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

We have a 4Runner, and have the same problem, only two anchor points (I do school pick-ups drop-offs for work, so sometimes having three would be handy!). From memory it's something to do with the way the middle seat splits, it's 50/50 in our car instead of 60/40 or 70/30. We're avid Toyota people as well, will be upgrading to a 76 series LandCruiser for DP (Troop-Carrier style but 4 door, I love them!) and a Rav4 for me in a few years.

#7 Bunny Mumma

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

Our back seat is not split at all, it's one piece. So that's not the issue. The only thing we can think of is there's a small bracket in the middle behind the seat to hook a strap onto to when you want the seat held up permanently. I don't believe a car seat strap would interfere with this. Anyway, we'll look at getting a 100 series Landcruiser instead. Thanks for all your help!

#8 machine

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Sorry to thread crap but I wanted to ask how you feel about the Kluger - lots of room for the kids, do you take it off road at all?  I'm thinking about getting one.

QUOTE (azalia @ 15/11/2012, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In any model bar the brand new one, you can only anchor 2 points. The middle seat is a lap only though so fairly useless for most car seats.

It can however be used for some capsules, but as soon as you need a proper seat in there you will not be able to use it.  

Dh has a 2008 Hilux, we can only ever have 2 kids in there, so it doenst get driven much. He will be changing over to a Landcruiser in the coming year. I have a Kluger (we are also avid Toyota drivers!)

#9 ras500

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Bunny Mumma
We ended up with a new Kluger, we are toyota people too, We still have the hilux (traded a Rav 4) as DS1 will be 7 a few months after #3 is born so for offroading we can use this, but I wanted him still in a booster 99$ of the time, we would have loved a Prado or Landcruiser, but wanted a newish diesal and they are bringing big $, so decided with already having a 'proper' 4WD we'd get the Kluger

Machine
Love the Kluger, it is as big as a prado in the 2nd row of seaters and slighty bigger in the 3rd row, and when folded down has a massive boot, so much room between the 1st and 2nd row of seats I can now no longer reach my DS2 to hand his stuff LOL.
I don't think I'd take it offroad as we have a 'real 4wd' and would use it so now sure how they'd go, prob depends on how rough, dirt or sand etc

#10 azalia

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hi Machine,

We got the AWD Kluger, I think we would take it off road but not often. My friend has taken hers quite a bit and she says it has peformed fine.

As far as room goes, I had a Rav4 before this and only upgraded to the bigger car for more seats, I loved the Rav 4 and fitted 3 car seats perfectly across the back. In the Kluger its a lot tighter. I think its because the seats are captain chairs and because the middle seat is completely removable its about 15cm shorter than the outer two. I wanted the ability to be able to pick up friends kids or have an extra in my car, and also if we have #4, I will put the older two into the back and the younger two into the second row. I have had this car set up with DS1 in a booster in the third row and the two younger in the second row anchored on the outer sides and the middle seat completly removed so that there is easy access to the back for DS1. Because of this there is very little boot room. My pram wouldnt fit so I sold it and got a second hand MB Swift, its the ONLY pram that would fit behind the third row. When I food shop all the food goes on the passenger side or under all the kids feet, not ideal, but obviously you loose your boot when you use the third row and have a pram in.

For last week we tried to have three car seats across the back and it was nothing short of a nightmare. It would be fine if you have 3 in 5 point harnesses, but as soon as you have one using a booster with a seatbelt its near impossible to get that seat belt done up, and I am using the narrowist seats on the market for my outer two seats and a Hiliner for the booster. Ds1 could not get the seat belt done up nor could hubbie and it took me a lot of mucking around and sore hands to get it done up.

Aside from that I do love the car, and it has lots of perks - kids love the tv which is handy if we have long trips and it drives well. Im only getting 14.2kms to a litre, but I am on full city roads, often stop start. In the country I got 9.2.  Hope that helps original.gif

#11 machine

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I only just came back to this.  Thanks so much to the two of you.  I think OH has decided against the Kluger now and wants a diesel and 4WD.  I still love the Kluger.  It feels good to drive and I enjoy the comfort inside.  The second row of seats is a bit of a p*sser.  You would think with the 'family car' that the back seats could easily fit three across.

#12 azalia

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

If you get one, make sure you get after a 2010 model. The ones prior to 2011 do not have a split fold 3rd row.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.