Big front yards, small back yards
Would you let your kids play in the front yard if its enclosed?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 paula1

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'll be looking at a house today that's for sale that has a lovely big front yard and a courtyard out the back.

The front yard is enclosed with a fence and a gate and it's not on a main road.
My mother thinks kids should never play out the front as they could get snatched by strangers!!
I would prefer a larger back yard but I'm guided by my budget.

Wdyt?

Edited by paula1, 14 November 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#2 Mocha Coffee

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Of course!  If they are tiny then supervise, but my children have played out the front (no fence) since they were kinder age.  They know the rules and boundaries.  Now that they are 7 and 9 they will ride their bikes or scooters out the front too.

Edited by Mocha Coffee, 14 November 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#3 paula1

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

By the way, they're 6 and 8.

#4 ~She~

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

Wouldn't bother me. Depending on their ages, kids need supervision in the back yard just as much as they would the front anyway. As long as there is a fence I would be fine with it.

Our backyard isn't small, but the front yard has a large dual, semi-circle driveway so the kids are always riding their bikes out the front.

#5 FeralBob!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

It really wouldn't bother me, especially since at that age, they're much more likely to be aware of stranger danger not to mention the fairly small risk that someone *could* snatch them at that age!

#6 vintage.blue

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Our front yard is bigger than our back yard. Our front yard is fully fenced too with a locked gate. Our boys play out there all the time - they are 3 & 5. We aren't on a road though, our house is behind other houses so it's kinda like a back yard anyway I guess??

I would use the front yard if I were you as long as it's all fenced and safe original.gif

#7 paula1

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thanks guys, it's not a high fence just a normal fence with a gate.

Also they will grow and won't always be 6 & 8!

#8 EsmeLennox

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Of course it will be fine. I let my 5, 7 and 10 year old play on our driveway.

#9 LambChop

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

You have more chance of winning the lottery than you do of having kids snatched by a stranger...

Anyhoo, mine are 9.5 and nearly 11, they've been going to the playground 2 houeses up by themselves for 18 months, front yard play completely fine.

On the other hand, I personally much prefer my alfresco/bbq area out the back rather than front!

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

We're currently renting a front house with fenced front yard and my children do play out there.  I'm usually not far away and I can see them from my room if I'm folding clothes or something.  I suspect that they talk to people over the fence from the trampoline, but we have 2 gates and I keep the one closest to the road locked.

R

#11 Julie3Girls

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Wouldn't bother me at all. My girls are all over our yard - front and back. And the next door neighbours yard (with their blessing!) ... and the house 4 doors up the street ...

The only thing that would bother me with that setup is that if I was eating outside, for a BBQ or something, i'd prefer to be out the back, and I'd prefer the kids to be playing out there.

#12 sophiasmum

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Yes

#13 Zesty

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

No issues at all, especially those ages. I had a huge front yard with no fencing whatsoever and my kids played well at the same age. Of course it goes on many factors like area, maturity of kids etc..

#14 *LucyE*

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I see no problem with it.

Our 'backyard' is big and long (acerage), so I've always set up our front yard as the young child's play area.  They are more closely supervised by me in the front yard than the back.  I have some plastic play equipment in the front yard (toddler slide, cubby house and table&bench set) so that's where the kids go to use play dough, painting, sticky craft type stuff.  

DH did grumble initially about it looking bogan but I don't care.  We have a big jacaranda tree and an area of lawn the size of most people's backyards.  Our kids are happy, I am happy and I think it is a pleasant scene if anyone was driving past.  TBH though, I don't really give a rats what others may think.

I have been planting to try and create more privacy though.  I've got some Chinese star jasmine climbing on the boundary fence and various shrubs and small trees as well.  Eventually it will be a very quiet and sheltered little haven.

#15 Kwyjibo

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Sure. Can't see a problem with that.

A house on the way to school has recently put in a swimming pool in their front garden.

#16 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

My kids prefer to play in our front yard.  It's nicer!  We have a huge gate and fence so it's not a problem.
eta the kids are getting a tramp for xmas and it's going in the front yard.

Edited by Mummyone1, 14 November 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#17 Dionysus

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

we have a decent size back yard, which is kind of bush like - lots of trees/bushes etc, so very little lawn grows, but there is lots of climbing, hiding, dangerous, cool stuff to do.

To play on actual lawn though - like with a sprinkler or pool or to play ball - our front yard is much nicer.  Not fenced, and DD is only 3.5 years old so far, but we are on a cul-de-sac, so I would see her playing out the front quite nicely by the time she is 8 or so.

My SIL would say no way, absolutely not!

In your situation, I would't hesitate to let the kids play out the front.

#18 MrsLexiK

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

I don't think there is an issue with this, but I wouldn't buy the house as we eat outside a lot in the summer and springtime and if there was only a courtyard this wouldn't work.

#19 Tigerdog

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (vintage.blue @ 14/11/2012, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our front yard is bigger than our back yard. Our front yard is fully fenced too with a locked gate. Our boys play out there all the time - they are 3 & 5. We aren't on a road though, our house is behind other houses so it's kinda like a back yard anyway I guess??

I would use the front yard if I were you as long as it's all fenced and safe original.gif

Exactly me too, we're on a battleaxe with a huge paved and concreted area at the front, perfect for kids to ride bikes up and down or cars to park when visiting.

#20 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Mine are 6 and 8 and play in the back yard, front yard, road and all the other neighbours nature strips with all the other kids who are the same age, on the street. I wouldn't take issue at all.

#21 Kafkaesque

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Yep. I do. We have rear courtyard with grass out the front.

#22 *LucyE*

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thinking about it further, is the garage/driveway within the fenced frontyard?  I just like driveways to be separate from children's play areas to minimize the chances of accidents.

#23 JustMum08

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

My nearly 5 year old is always out the front!
He loves it. There is  a hill leading up to the actual front gate/fence and he always stays down the bottom. Even if he goes up top I can see everything from the lounge room and constantly out there checking on him original.gif

#24 ~ky~

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

When we buy/build one of the first things we plan to do is fence the front yard so we have extra play space. Hopefully there will be enough room for the trampoline. We will enclose all but the driveway and have a latch similar to those on pool gates and a self closing hinge.

It's just wasted space, otherwise.

#25 mumof3kidlets

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Yep I do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

My four months of breastfeeding madness

You imagine that everyone is thinking badly of you, and you tell yourself you have to keep trying. Even though you are in an impossible situation, you still won't give yourself a break.

Little girl's foul-mouthed ice bucket challenge viewed by millions

It starts out innocently enough, but soon Scarlett-Rose Davis is letting loose with an emphatic swearword.

Australian push for compensated surrogacy

A team of Australia fertility experts has advocated legalising commercial surrogacy.

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Daycare death shows licensing need

A baby's tragic death in a family daycare centre has underlined a need for better licensing laws in the US.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.