Have you ever "run away"?
or even just wanted to.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 kpingitquiet

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

As the title asks, have you ever "run away" for a night, weekend, longer? I don't really mean for a standing girls/boys weekend or shopping with your mom or siblings, etc. But just run off somewhere for yourself--To recharge, meditate, sleep, contemplate, whatever you needed to do that couldn't be done at home.

(Disclaimer: I don't mean run off without telling anyone. It can be well-planned and discussed. I just mean going somewhere simply to "get away" from everything for a little while.)

If you have, what did the time away do for you? What led to going in the first place?

If you haven't and want to, what's stopping you?

If you never would, why not?

#2 Katie_bella

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

I dream about it on a regular basis biggrin.gif ......haven't got the guts yet though.

#3 Freddie'sMum

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

Yep - but it was to go back to NZ to see my father.

I went by myself - DH was at home looking after the girls (they were then aged 4 and 2 years old respectively).  I was gone for about 5 nights - I think it's the longest I have ever been away from them.

I was desperate to go and see my Dad - and DH figured it would be a hell of a lot easier if I just went by myself.

My father has since died and I am very very thankful that I took the opportunity to go and see him before his death.

DH has since offered me the chance to go away by myself again - but I told him if I go away again - I won't come back - he has since withdrawn the offer !!

#4 Silver Girl

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

I've thought about going to a hotel room on my own for a night or two of uninterrupted sleep and no housework.

I have done "reverse running away" where DH and DS go out and I stay home for the day on my own and sleep, read and drink cups of tea.

Is everything OK OP? Hope you're all right.

#5 Ice Queen

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

Well as much I would love to, I wouldnt dare.   Based upon my vent I just posted I dont think my baby would be alive on my return.

So no, not now but one day it would be nice!

#6 Batmansunderpants

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Yes, about three times in the last two years. Twice to my parents for the weekend and once away up the coast for a long weekend alone. Mine were for my sanity. I love my toddler but 24 hours a day does my head in. Thankfully my husband loves to spend every minute with our son so we both got something out of it.

For me these escapes allowed me to find myself as a seperate entity to being a mother. I got to catch up sleep and read hitch is a love of mine. It also made me appreciate my family more.

#7 lozoodle

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

I've run away in the sense of a last minute girls weekend away, but that's about it.

Haven't felt the need to do anything else.

Everything ok?

#8 Lokum

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

Gone interstate for 2 nights/3  days. Old friend needed cheering up, and so did I. It was planned, but definitely about independent adult space. I missed DS, but not too much to be able to cope.

#9 Ally'smum

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

I am going to do this soon.

DH keeps telling me to book into a hotel for a night so I can have a full night sleep, but DD just slept through for the first time ever last night so I may not need to!

I think staying at a hotel in the city, having a relaxed breakfast, going shopping, just being on your own, would do everyone some good.

#10 cinnabubble

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

I keep threatening to book into a hotel for the night, but never do it. My younger daughter isn't even aware that it's possible not to be greeted by me first thing in the morning and I'm not sure she's ready to find out.

#11 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (kpingitquiet @ 13/11/2012, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As the title asks, have you ever "run away" for a night, weekend, longer? I don't really mean for a standing girls/boys weekend or shopping with your mom or siblings, etc. But just run off somewhere for yourself--To recharge, meditate, sleep, contemplate, whatever you needed to do that couldn't be done at home.

(Disclaimer: I don't mean run off without telling anyone. It can be well-planned and discussed. I just mean going somewhere simply to "get away" from everything for a little while.)

If you have, what did the time away do for you? What led to going in the first place?

If you haven't and want to, what's stopping you?

If you never would, why not?

Would love to.  If I did that, I would stay in a self-contained apartment by the beach that was near some good cafes and restaurants.  I would read, sleep, go for a long walk and do lots of sewing.  But I can do most of that at home now.  Sometimes.

#12 EBeditor

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

One of our writers recently wrote about the 'mummy mini break'. She has a night by herself in a hotel room once every 6 months.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/life-style...1019-27vd6.html

#13 Therese

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

It is my biggest dream at the moment. I have gone away for work/girls weekends but not by myself.

#14 casime

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Last year I did.  Took myself to Norfolk Island for two weeks.  Booked a self contained unit and rented a car.  Two weeks of getting out of bed when I wanted, doing what I wanted, reading what I wanted, napping when I wanted, eating what I wanted and watching what I wanted.  No phones or internet.  Heaven.  I was five weeks pregnant at the time and really needed a break after all the years of TTC and relationship break up and just general 'had enough of the universe', and knew that as I was going to be a single mother I wouldn't get a holiday on my own for many years.  

Right now, with everything, I really could use a break.  Not from DS, but from everyone else in my life, and everyone who uses the phrase "I want".   I'm considering running away again, with DS, but making it permanent this time.

#15 Percoriel

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

I woudl love to do this right now. Husband has been away for two weeks (he's home on Friday) for work. I'm full of a head cold and over the delightful children of mine!

So tempted to see what deals are on wotif for this weekend.....

#16 PigNewton

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

DH has a standing offer for me that when I want to run off for a bit he'll find plane fare etc in our budget and I'll go over to Melbourne for a few days....I'd probably stay with my brother , but he's a groovy muso and I'd pretty much be doing my own thing in glorious solitude when i'm not being shown around the best pubs and hang-outs by him original.gif
I've also "gotten away" at home when DH has gone off for a few days for work and DS has gone to my parents for a few days....more glorious solitude!

#17 julz78

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

I so could have posted this thread. I am seriously contemplating running away if only for just a night. Feeling like I am going to have some sort of major breakdown if I don't get some sort of break from this life soon. Haven't had a decent nights sleep in over 3 years would love to be able to just get up out of bed. Don't know how I am going to manage a break with a breastfed toddler and dh that works 2 jobs + tafe i just want to run away but can't because of the reprecussions sad.gif Feeling quite miserable with myself atm and have a chest infection and feel crap and just want out.

#18 amabanana

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I go away every year, for one night on a weekend shortly after Mother's Day.  It's my Mother's Day treat from DH.  Obviously I don't do it ON Mother's Day because that day is about spending time with my girls.
Almost every year though I get bored and come home earlier than planned.  ph34r.gif

#19 Guest_- Poppy -_*

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

No but if I wanted to I could, I just dont have any desire to.

DH do things apart and I have girls nights/ days so I havent felt the need yet.

DH went away together without DS a few months ago and the first night was nice but after the second day I was missing DS and I kept thinking when we went places oh DS would of loved this.

If you need to do it go and do it, do it for at least two nights though.

If I was to do it I would go out into the country and stay in a nice quiet boutique style accomodation, sleep in, go to the beach, read a good book, have a nap, drink wine, eat a nice dinner and just do nothing.

Its to go somewhere and just do nothing for a day or two, have no agenda just do whatever you feel like doing.

If you feel like you need to do it and you can do it, do it.

Just say you are burnt out and need some space and offer your DH to do the same thing at another time.

#20 ~TSC~

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I haven't by myself but I'd love to.  However, it would have to be for 2 or more nights as the first night in a strange bed I sleep terribly!  That's probably what has stopped me.  Plus DH's strange work schedule.  Now that is settling down, I am intending to do something by myself next year.

#21 Mpjp is feral

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

God yes. All teh time. I am exhausted from how relentless things are.

What's stopping me? SN kids, a dh who works away a lot and is also exhausted, work, life, and the fact that I KNOW that it will all be there when I get back. The relaxation I would have felt would be gone in 30 seconds.

#22 *~dee~*

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yes, I just went to Phuket for 10 days on my own with a bunch of friends. They had been planning it all year, I jumped on and got cheap flights at the last minute.

My mum looked after DD and urged me to do it. I didn't feel guilty for one minute and I didn't miss her as much as I thought I would, although was so happy to come home.

I felt I really needed time away as I'm a full time working single mum and after nearly 3 years of doing it on my own and still waking up throughout the night, I just needed some pampering and sleep  biggrin.gif

#23 ~shannon~

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

Yes, but always well planned in advance.

The biggest (and best) time I ran away was after my first marriage broke up (no kids thank goodness). I was stuck in the same town where people knew what was going on and I hated the thought of running into him. My job sucked and I was depressed, so I packed my bags and moved to London for two years. Best decision I have EVER made in my life. I found myself and happiness again, realised I could survive after divorce and I met my DH there, so lots of good things came out of it!

On a much smaller scale, DH and I have run away for brief weekends for just the two of us, leaving the kids in the care of my parents. Does that count too? It's a major recharge of our batteries!

#24 *~dee~*

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Oh, and pre-children I also ran away at 22 when I broke up with my DH. I went travelling around Australia for 9 months and did fruit-picking lol.

#25 Studybug

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Before becoming a parent - yes.  After a few years run of illness, being used and abused by people and feeling like life wasn't worth it anymore, I semi-roughed it for almost 3 weeks alone. I learned I could be my best and worst company and that I may not be what everyone had me convinced that I was, amongst other things (eg. I love to sing more than I love to dance wink.gif ).

Since becoming a parent - no.  Like most, I harbour that fantasy but I am yet to act upon it.  What stops me? Practicalities (good time to do it, money) and honestly, probably guilt and the fear that I won't enjoy it as much as I thought I would - then what would I fantasise about?  Also, I don't feel the urge anywhere near the amt I used to, rather I look forward to family holidays where it's a nice mix of me getting alone time, spending time with my boys and life being simplified whilst we ignore the outside world.

OP, if you need it, be braver than I and do it.  Then post and tell me how wonderful it was, so I can follow your lead and do it wink.gif .  

Cheers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.