Photography challenge - rule of thirds

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rbat

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I thought I would go back to basics with this challenge. Even though I do break this rule when the mood strikes laughing2.gif, it is the essence of good composition in photography.

Rule of thirds Here are some examples that may be helpful if you are unsure of what to do.

The rules:
One photo per person which has been taken this week (starting TUESDAY). Everyone is welcome to join in. Competition will start Tuesday with submissions ending the following Monday.

If you wish, please note your rating after your image:
Rating 1 Beginner (just got my camera)
Rating 2 Amateur (learning about settings)
Rating 3 Hobbyist (have a good grasp of the theory)
Rating 4 Semi Pro (improved well beyond when I started)
Rating 5 Pro/serious hobbyist (I'm well experienced and have been doing this for quite a while)

All images must be up by next MONDAY at (9pm EDST, 8pm EST, 7.30pm CST, 6pm WST) for inclusion.

Remember the EB rules state images within posts must be smaller than 500 (wide) x 470 (high) pixels and 100kb.

Challenge history for the winner:
Vanishing point - rbat
Patterns in nature - Jupiter123
Fun - Silverwattle
Seven - mummy26
Texture - ILLB
At Home - elle-M
Nostalgia - rbat
Reflection - Bryden
Half - Nut
Spring - millie71
Antique - elle-M
Tells a story - Ev
Postcard - raven74
Favourite things - winkwink
Long exposure - rbat
Wings - silverwattle
Sweet - rbat
Light - Skepticaemia
Wild - Mecurial
Moody - BeagleBoy
In the eye of the beholder - cat
Symmetry - JamieLee85
Serenity - winkwink
Out Of Place - Peanut
Water Drop Shot - blue4me
One - Raven74
Black & White Portrait - rbat
Red - Luckyseven
Suggestive - Abbygirl
Mostly Black/Mostly white - PrincessPinkenIt
Autumn - Superman+4Sisters
Capturing Action - Peanut
Black and white perspective - Abbygirl
Shadows - winkwink
Props - Jalex
Numbers - apocketfull
Circle - mummy26
Coke - rbat
Abstract - mummy26
The Natural World - Abbygirl
Bokeh - blue4me
Love - Abbygirl
Favourite things - Red Cabbage
Creepy crawlies - Goggles
Four Colours - Nut
Take a walk - Jalex
Christmas - rbat
Relax - Mummy26
Fear - Peanut

#2 Jupiter123

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Nice topic Bec. I was tossing between rule of thirds and vanishing point last week.

#3 ILBB

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Great topic rbat - interesting to see what everyone comes up with!

#4 Peanut

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

I don't think I'm in this week, DS is sick.  sad.gif

#5 Bryden

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

Great topic! I hope I'm in this week. I've had an entry every week but my stupid laptop has been playing up so I've only got my phone. But I've just got an external hard drive so I'm hoping once I clean it up ill be able to use it again. I miss joining in!

Teressa

#6 mummy26

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Here's mine

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28286225@N02/...m/?reuploaded=1

#7 flipped out

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

I managed to get out to the beach today - didn't get the shot I wanted though as I had my 11mo with me who screamed whenever I put her down on the sand so all shots were taken one handed with DD on my hip :sigh:
This was the best shot I managed to get though:

feathered friends by flic_22, on Flickr

Edited by flipped out, 17 November 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#8 ILBB

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67678223@N04/8198443624/

Not particularly creative - but a traditional portrait conforming to the rules!

#9 SW-

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Just made it in time original.gif

thirds by silver wattle, on Flickr

Edited by silverwattle, 19 November 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#10 rbat

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hi everyone  waves.gif,

Only 3 entries this week!

ILBB, your dog portraits are just gorgeous. I've been spying through your photostream! I love this dog's expression and the light in the eyes. Is he yours? Looks like he is waiting for a ball to be thrown! Beautiful shot.

flipped out, I really love your shot. LOL to taking it one-handed! The perspective is great, that low down angle makes you feel like you are right there walking along the sand with it. I also love the background bokeh, giving you a sense of what is happening on the beach - even down to the two swimming flags. Great shot.

mummy26, what can I say here! Well firstly I just love the concept, it is so beautifully executed. The clown really comes to life for me on that tightrope! I love the explosion of colours in the first and second quadrants and the needle really adds to just what scale you were working with. Very impressive work!

___

I just saw silverwattle's photo as I was posting! Yeah 4 entries! Beautiful shot, I love your colours, the blue and pink look beautiful together. Is this sunset or sunrise? Sunrise looks like that in Adelaide. I also like your use of long exposure over the rocks, it has a really wonderful effect.

Thanks for entering ladies, you all did a wonderful job with the theme. I'm posting early as I want to watch the XFactor final tonight, sad I know ha ha. The winner is mummy26. You execution was just perfection and I really loved your use of the rule of thirds. Look forward to seeing what you choose for this week's theme.

Bec  biggrin.gif

#11 Peanut

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Chucking mine in at the last moment too!

New growth in the rainforest

ETA:  Crap, sorry Bec, I lost track of time.  sad.gif

Edited by Peanut, 19 November 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#12 SW-

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Congratulations mummy26...................as soon as I saw your shot I knew it was a winner original.gif

Rbat the shot was sunset tonight.

#13 mummy26

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

Just saw this, totally forgot to check back. Thanks Bec original.gif

I will be back in the morning on few hours sleep with a new theme

#14 ILBB

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

Congratulations Mummuy26  - loved it!

#15 Jupiter123

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Congrats Mummy26. Great Shot.

Between DH having reconstructive surgery on his wrist, preparing to move interstate and going to Adelaide to see the family, I have been completely strapped for time.  I am now currently on annual leave for the rest of the week, enjoying the Adelaide beachside weather so I will try my hardest to get a shot in for next weeks challenge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.