How much of your take home pay goes towards childcare?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 aztecblue

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Just curious.

Mine, as of this week, is 18% (3 days LDC, 2.5 hrs private nanny). Last week it was about 10% (2 days LDC only).

Edited by mumto1boy, 12 November 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#2 Jupiter123

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

About 40-45%

5 days FT LDC.

#3 Ms.Nolte

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

43% - 5 days LDC

I think I make a fairly good salary, but we don't get any childcare benefits due to the VISA we're on, and so pay full price.

It makes me sad that we'll have to re-evaluate when we have #2. I'm fairly career driven and don't think I'd fair well as a SAHM (past my 1 year mat leave). But I could not handle working to lose 86% of my net salary with 2 kidsin LDC.

#4 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

A friend takes home $200 a fortnight after childcare!!

The system really is horrendous.

#5 knottygirl

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

about 5% for 2 days LDC plus i pay my mums fuel as she minds the kids a fair bit too.

#6 fizzy19

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

about 40% for 2 kids ldc 2 days a week. Plus one child before and after care 2 days a week.

#7 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Upfront cost is about $600/week (2 kids).  But every 3 months we get a few grand back.  It's enough to make it worthwhile that DH and I both work.  If it wasn't, we'd have to talk about who would stay home.

#8 Feralishous

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:20 AM

childcare is 2% of our income (1 child in LDC for 2 sessions (9-4) once a week)

#9 Penguin78

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (~*MESS*~ @ 13/11/2012, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How is getting 50% back or $7000 covered by government 'horrendous'? Seems like a good deal to me.

#10 knottygirl

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (~*MESS*~ @ 12/11/2012, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that really doesnt say much.  If your friend is working 1 day a week, then thats not so bad?  

If you are talking full time, then i really dont see how thats possible?

Lets say, as a worst possible case, she had 2 kids in full time long day care and qualifys for 0% CCB and only the 50% CCR and earns minimum wage.  

2 kids in full time care with CCR is $750 a fortnight.  Minimum wage is currently about $1200 a fortnight?  So she must be getting more than $200 a fortnight take home.  

Plus to qualify for no CCB, her partner would have to be earning a very high wage, in which case, why would she work full time at minimum wage?  

If she WAS working full time at mimimum wage, and only getting $200, why would she bother?  FTB part B is $130 a fortnight, and single income familys qualify for that, so for the sake of $70, wouldnt she just stay home?  Unless her partner is earning over $150k a year and they dont qualify for FTB B, but if he was earning that much, would they really be struggling that bad that they need her to provide $100 a week?

I think your friend just likes a pity party personally and is trying to make her senario sound bad.

#11 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

I work 3 days a week, have LDC for 3 days for my 3yo and a private nanny for 2 days for my 1yo (I work one day from home and spread it across 5 nights!)

My work at the moment is 'just for fun' we barely break even on my wage, however I struggle to be at home f/t and we agree the short term pain is worth it long term for both my career and happiness.

#12 whale-woman

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (Penguin78 @ 13/11/2012, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is getting 50% back or $7000 covered by government 'horrendous'? Seems like a good deal to me.

Is 50% of the first 7000. For me that works out I get back 50% if I send Dd 3 days a week. If she was to go 4 or 5 days I'd be paying the full rate for those later days. It's not worth me returning to FT work because of this. I think Childcare costs should be fully tax deductible. The govt ultimately loses tax $ by only providing an incentive for parents to work part time.

#13 kadoodle

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

When I've had all my kids in OHSC and CC, I've made a net loss.  But I have four kids.  Usually I work around school hours and nap times, after bedtime and with kids underfoot.

#14 cinnabubble

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:41 AM

One child two days a week LDC paying only the balance after CCB and CCR is about 9%. Much more and my partner would have to give up work.

#15 strawberrycakes

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

I am left with less than $100 after daycare has been paid sad.gif  It's only for a few more months until DD goes to school then I wont have any daycare fees.

#16 lozoodle

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

Out of just my salary? For a total of 5 days of LDC (3 for DD1, 2 for DD2) its 18% of my salary.

I don't get any childcare benefit etc, but I do get the 50% child care rebate. I'm fortunate enough to be left with about $800 after childcare.

If I was left with any less I really wouldn't bother as I'd be better off working 3 days a week as I am very lucky and have family support on those days, so it would work out pretty much the same money in my pocket.

Edited by lozoodle, 13 November 2012 - 06:57 AM.

#17 lozoodle

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (Penguin78 @ 13/11/2012, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this, we are pretty lucky in terms of child care rebate.

#18 aztecblue

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (knottygirl @ 13/11/2012, 03:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 kids in full time care with CCR is $750 a fortnight.  Minimum wage is currently about $1200 a fortnight?  So she must be getting more than $200 a fortnight take home.

I dont think thats correct. 2 kids in full time LDC care would cost way more than $750 a fortnight. In metropolitan Sydney, average LDC day cost is $100. Given that CCR is capped at $7,500pa, this means that the 50% discount only applies to a maximum of 3 days and the 4th and 5th day would be the full price of $100. So thats $700 per week for 2 kids with CCR, or $1,400 per fortnight per CCR.

Even if you live in an area where daycare is much cheaper, if you have 2 kids in daycare 5 days I don't see how you would only pay $750 per fornight.

#19 Ally'smum

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

We start next year and I haven't worked out how much of net salary it will be.

LDC costs $110 per day, but that is $5 extra as we are doing a music class. I don't know what we will qualify for in terms of CCR and CCB but if it is too expensive I will pull her out when I am on mat leave.

I have a friend who makes $5000 per year after paying her nanny. She brings home $55000 after tax and the nanny is paid $50000. She moved to Melbourne in a hurry for her husband's job, got offered a good job herself, then couldn't get childcare anywhere.

She questions every day whether she is doing the right thing by working, I don't think I could live with the stress, not worth it for that amount of money.

I don't know why there isn't a rebate for nannys?

#20 Guest_- Poppy -_*

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

If I worked almost all would go to childcare and because my DH is on a good wicket I wouldnt get much back, so its just not worth it at the moment!

#21 Ally'smum

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Just thought of something else. For some people, even if you are not making much/anything, you are still getting super and you are keeping yourself employable.

Your earning capacity would decrease if you stop working for a few years, so this is one way of maintaing or increasing it. Plus the sanity.

#22 Blossom73

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

At the moment, about 2/3rds of my net monthly pay goes to childcare (LDC 3 days per week, plus nanny 1 day per week). I expect that will drop once I can get an extra day at daycare, but had to pick up an extra day at work on short notice and no LDC days were available.

Love the nanny, but after rebate, one day of nanny is worth 3 days of LDC. On a purely financial basis, its prohibitive.

#23 StudyMum

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Taking into account the rebate (CCR, no CCB) 2 children in LDC equals 48% of my take home wage.

That will go up though once I return to work from maternity leave to about 70% (2 in fulltime LDC and 1 in OHSC).

#24 Lynneghl

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

2 in FT LDC, 1 in OOSH 1 day a week, works out at about 45% of my wage, I also get back 2.5 K in CCR every three months.

#25 Illiterati

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Last year I paid about $750pw. This year it is $400pw as all 3 are in school so I just pay of outside hours school care. I am a single parent so it is only my salary that covers it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.