What kind of solid food should start in 6mths?
Which brand is good?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 burnlie1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Hi my bub will turn to 6mths very soon and I know is time to introduce solids to him. But I am not sure what should I buy - the pureed fruit from Heinz or the Farex baby cereal? Or anyone knows any better brand than Heinz? Or should I make the puree/cereal myself? THanks

#2 HurryUpAlready

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

Um, other than rice cereal... why can't you make the food instead of buy it??? Puréed veges are easy, healthier and cheaper than buying packaged food.

You need to introduce food one item at a time to your baby (to check for allergies) - its a bit hard to do this when feeding baby packet food that has a whole heap of stuff in it.

Do you ever visit a clinic where you weigh the baby etc? They should be able to give you good advice re what foods to introduce to your baby, and when.

If you are only prepared to give your baby packet food instead of making it yourself, Rafferty's Garden is a good brand (completely natural, no additives etc).

#3 Duck.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Make your own.

We started with boiled sweet potato but then switched to baby led weaning.

#4 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

All you need to know about mushy baby food

#5 Blingy

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

We started with steamed pumpkin, mashed 'adding some extra water to make it smoother as needed'
Moved onto carrot, zucchini, spinach, broccoli ... All steamed and fork mashed with water added as needed

DS hasn't ever had rice cereal, once he was eating veggies okay we started on porridge in the morning
Then fork mashed cooked beef with his veggies at lunch and tea time

Once he was eating those really well I added fruit for dessert, started with blueberries and raspberries

Hope that helps :-)

#6 knottygirl

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

i would reccomend starting with pureed vegies, like pumpkin, carrot, sweet potato ect.  If you start with fruit you risk them refusing vegies when you do introduce them, as they prefer the fruit.  

I got mine established on vegies, then introduced the fruit as 'desert'.  they knew they had to have the vegies first or they wouldnt get the fruit or custard.

#7 CallMeFeral

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

I used the raffertys rice cereal, it seems to have a bit more flavour than the farex ones which are like mashed cardboard -  and everything else made myself (at least for first bub!). Look up baby led weaning - even if you don't go the whole hog, you'll realise that full pureeing is unnecessary, just chuck a sweet potato/carrot/apple/pear/etc on the steamer for a few minutes and then fork mash it. At the stage where you are just trying single things at a time, it's just so easy. Later on when you are doing combos, made yourself can be more time consuming, but not at the beginning.  

If you do end up going bought, try the raffertys or the mothers organic or one of those other ones that come in tubes - SO much easier when out an about if they've learned to suck on the tube rather than having to get a spoon etc. Mine (4yo) still have the tubes as a snack now and then.

#8 belindarama

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

I also recommend making it yourself. It is very easy and it is much easier to move onto other foods if you get the baby used to your cooking.

Also a lot of the packaged foods are pretty sweet and use a lot of apple.

You can make a portion of something and freeze what you don't use. This is especially good once you move onto combos. Freeze veggies separately and mix up different ones to get them used to different tastes.

The Annabel Karmel books are really good for ideas. You can get them at Big W for a reasonable price.

#9 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

I first gave my bub Rafferty's rice cereal. Then he had puréed sweet potato. He also likes mashed/pureed carrots, pumpkin, cauliflower with carrot, carrot with spinach. I have also made some recipes for a book by Annabel Karmels and a Women's Weekly.  His favourites are sweet potato/peas/spinach and caulifliwer/carrot/tipomato. There are a few other books on baby and toddler food. Be sure to get one that is written for starting solids at 6 months.

Also try mashed banana or avacado or these 2 mixed together.

I have also given him puréed fruit (strawberries, blueberries, pear) with yoghurt.

I have stopped giving him rice cereal as it tends to give him excema. I am going to be trying him on porriage as a breakfast meal.

I buy the Heinze cans of pears for him too. These also help with constipation.

I've just started giving him toast fingers, but he hasn't quite figured it out yet.

The best thing I found for freezing baby food is a set of 3 trays with lids. Each tray has 12 one tablespoon volume spaces for the foods. I bought them frim Big W but I have also seen them at Woolworths (Safeway in some states). Once frozen, I put the cubes (they are kind of half circle shaped) into a zip lock bag with the contents and sat written on it.  

I've only been giving solids for 2 months so am still getting used to it and not really sure when/how to move onto finger foods.

#10 jdevine

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

I gave my bub porridge first. I didn't worry about buying baby cereal I just make extra when I cook mine in the morning (i only use water) and puree it a bit to get the right texture. I add a bit of EBM or formula to it aswell. I then tried pear, apple, then potato, carrott, sweet potato and pumpkin. The veggies I just steam and mash with a fork. Fruit i boil with a little water and puree. I have just been making 3 day batches at a time but now we know that she likes it all will make bigger batches and continue to introduce new foods.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.