Gently Nappies
Thoughts on Hybrid Nappies

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LittleSpoon

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hi!  I hope this hasn't been covered, I had a look for other topics but couldn't find any references.

I have my first bub due in March.  I live in a cold area with limited space, so I don't think MCNs would be feasible (although I will probably try them after I've settled into a routine).  But I would like to avoid the environmental costs of using disposables.  I have been looking at eco-disposables and would like to try them, although most seem very expensive.

Yesterday I came across Gently hybrid eco-disposables at Baby Bunting.  They are comparable in price to standard disposables.  They have a reusable outer shell and eco-disposable inserts.  They look good, but I am concerned about how effective they would be.  So I would love to hear from anyone who has tried them...

Are the effective?
Did you have any problems with leaks?
Is sticking the insert in difficult/fiddly?
Would you recommend them?

Thanks  original.gif

Edited by LittleSpoon, 12 November 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#2 emwill

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

Hi, There are a couple of these hybrid nappies available on the market here in Australia. The original which I used with one of mine years ago was Eenees which you can use with both a microfiber cloth inner or disposable pad/nappy - both work well. The cloth microfiber inner dry very quickly on a clothes horse inside even in cold damp weather.
http://www.eenee.com/
Another one Cushie Tushies Chameleon, which look great!
http://www.cushietushies.com.au/store/pc/C...Nappies-c36.htm
There is also Grovia Hybrid nappy and Gently Nappies to which you were asking about. I haven't used either of these. But I found this demo of them and they look good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UReHITSBsRo
I like the fact that the leg have elastic gusset and that they have adhesive strips to hold them in place and stop them bunching up and moving around. And also the top and bottom flaps to hold them in place.. There is  a starter  pack that includes 2 re-usable fabric nappy shells in the pack with the biodegradable nappy inserts. Definitely worth ago I would think original.gif let us know your review if you decide to trial them!

Edited by emwill, 13 November 2012 - 01:34 AM.

#3 LittleSpoon

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for sharing your knowledge emwill! I haven't found any reviews of the Gently ones, so I might just have to give them ago and write a few reviews myself!

I'll keep the hybrid cloth ones in mind for next summer!

#4 Feral timtam

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

They're pretty similar looking to all the other hybrids on the market, I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a cloth insert within the next year or so like all the other hybrid brands have done.

Flip brand nappies have an identical pocket set up to the Gently ones as far as I can tell so if you want to try washable inserts you could get some Flip ones and use them with the Gently covers.

#5 Feefifofum

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

There are also fully compostable disposable nappies available: http://www.eenee.com/contents/en-us/d50_co...le_nappies.html They are more expensive than most disposables, but of course far more enviro friendly. I haven't tried these myself.

If and when you decide to try MCNs, you might try microfibre-based ones, as they are far quicker to dry than bamboo. I love my Pikapu brand all-in-ones, as they will dry overnight indoors on a cold Melbourne winters' night (also reasonably priced and work great).

Eenie also offer re-usable shells and disposable or microfibre flat reusable inserts. Again, I haven't used them, but I'm guessing the microfibre would probably dry well. http://www.eenee.com/contents/en-us/d1_bio...le_nappies.html

#6 LittleSpoon

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Thanks tamjk and Feefifofum - it's good to hear what else is out there.

#7 f.hall81

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I also found the Gently nappies in baby bunting and thought they might be a good alternative to use whilst out and about or when bub has an upset tummy or something. I bought a packet and have trailed them on the little one I nanny for. So far we've had no leaks and she is a pretty heavy wetter as she drinks quite a lot of water. I also plan to take a pack or two with me to the hospital. Oh and they fit quite nicely into the baby behinds pul covers!

#8 LittleSpoon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (f.hall81 @ 02/01/2013, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also found the Gently nappies in baby bunting and thought they might be a good alternative to use whilst out and about or when bub has an upset tummy or something. I bought a packet and have trailed them on the little one I nanny for. So far we've had no leaks and she is a pretty heavy wetter as she drinks quite a lot of water. I also plan to take a pack or two with me to the hospital. Oh and they fit quite nicely into the baby behinds pul covers!

Thanks f.hall - that's really helpful to know!

#9 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

The gently covers are crap, they are nylon not PUL, really thin and don't look like they would last  a few washes even. They are in no way comparable to Flips or Grovia or other hybrids on the market, I wouldn't waste the money on them, the inserts may be okay but the covers are useless. Only velcro too, no snaps.

#10 jmelb

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (lifehacker @ 28/01/2013, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The gently covers are crap, they are nylon not PUL, really thin and don't look like they would last  a few washes even. They are in no way comparable to Flips or Grovia or other hybrids on the market, I wouldn't waste the money on them, the inserts may be okay but the covers are useless. Only velcro too, no snaps.

You seem angry.

I picked up a starter pack today. They MIGHT be crap... don't know... haven't used them yet. Will let y'all know once I do.  It's a nice idea, so hopefully they're at least half-way decent.

#11 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (jmelb @ 02/02/2013, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You seem angry.

I picked up a starter pack today. They MIGHT be crap... don't know... haven't used them yet. Will let y'all know once I do.  It's a nice idea, so hopefully they're at least half-way decent.

No anger at all.  You only have to look at them to see they are nothing like Grovia;s or Flips though, the quality just isn't there, they are made of a completely different material and they are not adjustable in any way.  They have a tiny strip of velcro on the front and two small velcro tabs.

If you look at a Grovia cover you will see they have several rows of rise snaps along the front so they can be adjusted to fit your child as it grows, the whole tabs and the whole front section of the shella re hook and loop so it makes it very adjustable, babies have very different size waists, legs and bellies so this becomes very important because if they don't fit properly they leak!!

A Grovia shell retails fro around $20 but will last from birth to TT and onto a second child, possibly even a third.  The Gently ones are $5 but are sized so you would need to buy sizes small, medium and Large t get from birth to TT and they are made of nylon, the same stuff the cheap Big W pilchers are made of.  They rip and tear when they are washed just a few times.  PUL can be washed over and over again for years.

http://www.grovia.net.au/store/pc/Grovia-S...nd-Loop-3p5.htm
There is no comparison and I would hate to see people waste their money thinking they are getting a product similar to other hybrids when they really are no more than  a glorified pilcher.

Edited by lifehacker, 02 February 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#12 Feralishous

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

agreed. sometimes its better to invest in a better product than go through a bunch of the cheapies!

#13 jmelb

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Okay, cool. The Grovia shells do look to be higher quality and more versatile... plus they're available in green and purple - SOLD! I'm so easy.

So... please forgive my ignorance, but what are the components of the Grovia system?  Assuming we don't want to use cloth nappies - and I'm strongly assuming 'we' don't - which bits and pieces do we need?  Also, do you know of a store that has a reliable supply?  The online store you linked seems to be out of stock of a number of items.

Thanks for taking the time original.gif

#14 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

You can still get the disposable inserts which you just throw away if you don't want to use cloth.

Upsy baby usually has them, although they do appear to be out of stock atm, check their FB page if before ordering too because they sometimes have free shipping etc there
http://www.upsybaby.com.au/139-grovia

Newagenappies  also sell them

Darlingsdownunder

It looks like the biosoakers are out of stock at all those so it may be a supply issue just going on atm.

The other brands that make hybrids(with the throw away inner) are
Bumgenius and Cushietushies - both available at Upsybaby.

#15 Leafprincess

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

I use grovia

It is great, the stay dry liners are awesome, sunshine or dryer.
The bio liners (disposable) best I've used

#16 vicar

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

Gently nappies are not bad. Covers are nylon (not PVC ,like pilchers) and breathable. Ours have lasted many washes no problems. We use mainly cloth and pul covers but gentlys have had their place. They are the only hybrids we've tried and they fit and work pretty well. Cheaper than the others. Occasional blow out but nothing can contain a big one!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.