I hate hate HATE kitten season.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 *Ker*

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I try not to go to the pound websites anymore - I have enough to rescue here without looking for interstate dogs. But today I was looking.

There are 6 pregnant cats. And 35 kittens. At one NSW pound (Renbury) alone.

One pregnant cat has rescue. And 6 kittens. That's it.

Cat rescues are fighting a losing battle, even moreso than dog rescue. WHEN will people learn to desex their poor damn cats? WHEN will people learn to keep them indoors? WHEN will people start to give a damn???

#2 Redonk

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Completely agree.

It also annoys me when people want to adopt a cat they insist on a kitten and won't look twice at the grown cats. I've recently adopted a lovely grown boy we called Spot and he is the coolest cat I've ever known! He allows my 3yo to drag him around on occasion and will snuggle on the bed of any foster kids here on respite, they all love him! Coolest cat ever.

But yeah, no desexing is stupid, lazy and selfish.

Edited by Redonk, 12 November 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#3 JuliaD

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

I agree with you.

My BIL wonders why his little dog who is not desexed keeps escaping (ok so she's not a cat, but similar issue).  
I'm sorry, but you don't have to be a genius. Spend that money on getting her desexed and it would save you bills from veterinary care while the pet is pg, pound fines etc etc.

It's really not expensive or hard, and if you can't afford it and don't have time, well you shouldn't have the pet in the first place.

#4 TheAppetiser

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Until it's legislated people won't bother.  Sadly politicians don't care either sad.gif

#5 *Ker*

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (JuliaD @ 12/11/2012, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's really not expensive or hard, and if you can't afford it and don't have time, well you shouldn't have the pet in the first place.

I got into an argument with someone on a FB group when I said that - she replied that was " a bit harsh". No, it is not harsh.

You can get reduced price desexing if you are on a healthcare card. Councils and places like Pet Stock regularly do $30 microchipping. Bullsh*t you can't afford it!

#6 Bellisymo

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

I wish everyone cared about their pets as much as you care.
I currently don't own a pet but I have a cat that p*sses at my front door most mornings.  I have a dog that craps in my driveway and other dogs that crap in my backyard.
Across the road lives a huge dog and its owners work and go away most weekends so it barks and barks and barks and barks all day long.
God help me.

#7 la di dah

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Redonk @ 12/11/2012, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It also annoys me when people want to adopt a cat they insist on a kitten and won't look twice at the grown cats.

I did that with our first one, I admit, it was DH's first-ever indoor cat and I wanted to break him in easy with the advantage of cuteness and her kissing up to him right away. But even kittens get euthanized here so even if you have weird issues with age or hell even colour there's still lives to be saved.

Now he's a 100% convert to indoor-only cats, which is what originally he had told me was "rather silly" as his mum always had outdoor-only cats that weren't even allowed in the house.

She's his baby, and I do think she paved the way a bit for others that have/will come after.

It's actually really sad how many kittens get put down, locally.

#8 unicorn

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

I would be great to see it legislated.
We looked at adopting a cat (turns out 3 of us are allergic to cat hair so it didn't work out) but the rescue place we went to had over 200 cats and kittens. It was mind blowing, you walk into a shed about the size of a 3 car garage to be greeted by 50 plus cats, the kitten room was over flowing, it was a room about 4 metres square with an outdoor run off it with easy 30 kittens in it. It is sad.

#9 leJadie

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (TheAppetiser @ 12/11/2012, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Until it's legislated people won't bother.  Sadly politicians don't care either sad.gif

Most councils have laws in place stating cats must be desexed and kept indoors. The laws just aren't enforced.

I got a kitten from the RSPCA, there were some beautiful older cats I would have loved but coming into a house with 2 Staffies I needed a kitten so they could all get use to each other (which has turned out brilliantly).

My cat is indoors only and when I tell people the only time she is outside is on a lead they all laugh and tell me about how their cat is only inside for a feed and then takes off again.  I hate the thought of all the wildlife that gets killed by outdoor cats and all of the unwanted kittens that are created because people don't care. Out neighbours are a fine example, they have a gorgeous black cat that is never inside and also must rarely get fed as well as its skin and bones. It comes over for a meal all of the time when the dogs are inside.

#10 *Ker*

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

I think it's definitely cruel to leave a cat outdoors ALL the time...and as for not feeding it...well, I'd like to go chat to your neighbours. Yeah legislation is about in some councils, but unenforced.

There's a cat rescue down the road that I help out with from time to time. She has 180 cats there now. The garage is lined with crates and pens...mums and babies and baby cats go in there. Then the ENTIRE back yard is filled with separate enclosures for the adults. Hats off to her...I couldnt do it.

#11 CheekyBuggers

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

I cannot stand entire cats. Can't understand the I'm too broke. You get a kitten you still have few mths to save up and get it done. Can't do that then why get the expense of a pet.

#12 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

I completely agree.

#13 la di dah

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

I can't stand free-roaming cats. Even if its fixed.

Honestly, if you manage to keep it contained and deal with the mess/noise yourself in your own house I don't care if they're desexed. I don't particularly see the point though from a cost argument though - it's cheaper to get a kitten/cat from the pound desexed and vaccinated and chipped than not? 300 dollars unfixed at Pets Paradise, 150 fixed from a lot of local pounds/rescues.

#14 Cranky Kitten

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (*Ker* @ 12/11/2012, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I try not to go to the pound websites anymore - I have enough to rescue here without looking for interstate dogs. But today I was looking.

There are 6 pregnant cats. And 35 kittens. At one NSW pound (Renbury) alone.

One pregnant cat has rescue. And 6 kittens. That's it.

Cat rescues are fighting a losing battle, even moreso than dog rescue. WHEN will people learn to desex their poor damn cats? WHEN will people learn to keep them indoors? WHEN will people start to give a damn???

When it starts costing them money not to. When cats have to be registered and it costs more to register an entire and is only available to licensed breeders. When unregistered animals caught running loose can be destroyed after 48 hours. You care enough about your cat, you get it fixed and get it registered. And keep it indoors or in a run.

I'm aware this is probably an unpopular stance to take, but the fact is that the current cat population is unsustainable, it is damaging to native ecological systems as cats are natural predators. Your cute fluffy moggy is still a carnivore, and if not prevented will still hunt other animals.

I say this as someone who is currently sitting with her desexed only been outside twice in two years ginger boy pretending to be a lap-rug

#15 Owl_Little_Girls

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

Makes me really sad too.

I wish I could take another in, my boy was a rescue kitten. Unfort there are a lot of cats in the area and my dear boy isn't enjoying them hanging about the gardens, so I don't think another in the home would help.  sad.gif

#16 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

People who dn't desex their pets really p me off. I know that it is really cute t have a bunch of kittens around but it is just cruel. It's also a myth that an animal need to have 1 litter to give them a good temperament, as this is often so e people's excuse. There are some people who let their pet have a litter because they think it would be good for their kids to have their pet have kittens/puppies.

It just devastates me that so many are put down every year because of so many irresponsible people.

Sme people just don't deserve pets.

#17 la di dah

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Cranky Kitten @ 12/11/2012, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When it starts costing them money not to. When cats have to be registered and it costs more to register an entire and is only available to licensed breeders. When unregistered animals caught running loose can be destroyed after 48 hours. You care enough about your cat, you get it fixed and get it registered. And keep it indoors or in a run.

I'm aware this is probably an unpopular stance to take, but the fact is that the current cat population is unsustainable, it is damaging to native ecological systems as cats are natural predators. Your cute fluffy moggy is still a carnivore, and if not prevented will still hunt other animals.

I say this as someone who is currently sitting with her desexed only been outside twice in two years ginger boy pretending to be a lap-rug

I don't think it needs to swing all the way to only 48 hours. But if a wandering cat was like a wandering dog, and picked up and taken to the shelter to be found - with a fee for bailing it and another fee if its not chipped/registered/desexed - that would be a start, along with changing the mindset that its the person who doesn't want strange cats in their yard's fault for being uptight.

A bit more like w/ dogs, really. I would have a hard time with 48 hours for a dog too. But not because I think its cool to let your dog wander.

Do I sound goofy? blush.gif

#18 Cranky Kitten

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 12/11/2012, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think it needs to swing all the way to only 48 hours. But if a wandering cat was like a wandering dog, and picked up and taken to the shelter to be found - with a fee for bailing it and another fee if its not chipped/registered/desexed - that would be a start, along with changing the mindset that its the person who doesn't want strange cats in their yard's fault for being uptight.

A bit more like w/ dogs, really. I would have a hard time with 48 hours for a dog too. But not because I think its cool to let your dog wander.

Do I sound goofy? blush.gif

Not really goofy original.gif

I guess I prefer the hard line as a way of getting people to take it seriously. But then I'm not really tolerant of wandering unregistered non-desexed dogs either. With indoor animals you notice if they're not home pretty quickly. And if your pet does escape accidentally, if you've done the right thing it's registered and chipped already, you wouldn't need to worry about Puss being mistaken for a stray and being destroyed.

Either way, hitting the hip pocket and hitting it hard is probably the only relatively reliable way of getting people to realise that having a pet involves a huge amount of responsibility. And thus requires effort, not just getting an animal and chucking it in the back yard and feeding it occasionally.

#19 ~JASB~

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 12/11/2012, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this.  I am a cat lover.  I have two indoor only cats myself, but every single day I chase other cats off my property because they're upsetting my two inside.  Drives me nuts!

#20 dreamingofcats

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Most councils have laws in place stating cats must be desexed and kept indoors. The laws just aren't enforced.

Or at the least enforce it at bloody nightime. A screeching cat woke me from my sleep last night, not the first night this cat has decided my house is the best place to practice its audition for cat opera.

Ker, last night I was writing an email to the RSPCA as it has been almost 12 months since I adoped Marley cat, and I wanted to update them on how he was doing. And it was sad, I was happy to be writing the email but you're right, its never ending. Every year the same cycle continues and people just go about being as careless and thoughtless as before. It weighs on my mind quite a bit, and you always think - maybe I could have one more (FTR Dh would divorce me if I brought home one more cat, four apparently is how far I can stretch his love LOL) but its not what is going to change the situation. Advocating for animals rights and stronger penalties are the only way the cycle will end. (and I know you do that). And taking principle in the smaller things, which may not seem like much but help cement your resolve. I went into a large pet shop in Brisbane for a look, it said it was for pet stock supplies and I didnt expect to see any live animals in there, I found the balls I was looking for, for the dogs and then at the back of the shop found the glass cages with ragdolls, SBT's and a labradoodle. I put the balls back and walked out, I could have still bought them (the ones I want are REALLY hard to find) but like I said before its about making small stands on important issues.

Novel over original.gif

#21 Silver Girl

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

I find it heartbreaking too, OP. I feel for all the shelters at this time of year. I especially hate walking past the Pets Paradise near my work, thinking of all the abandoned kittens in the shelters.

#22 noi'mnot

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

It makes me sick when people don't desex, and when they let cats roam. I don't know what the solution is, though. In my council it costs twice as much to register an undesexed cat, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. People who don't desex quite possibly don't register either?

I don't know. I'd certainly like my council to ban cats outdoors at night, though. It would (hopefully) stop my neighbour's cat coming up and trying to fight with my two (indoors only) cats through the window, would stop it crapping all over my front yard, and would stop feral toms from freaking out my chickens.

#23 CheekyBuggers

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

The RSPCA is (at least in this area) adopt a cat over a yr old for $20! Can't beat that. That's desexed microchipped and vaccinated.

#24 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 12/11/2012, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's cheaper to get a kitten/cat from the pound desexed and vaccinated and chipped than not? 300 dollars unfixed at Pets Paradise, 150 fixed from a lot of local pounds/rescues.

Yeah but the problem is that half of these people aren't getting them from Pet Shops, they are getting them from their mate Thommo who didn't desex his cat and it just had a litter and now they get a free kitten!

Realistically they probably can't afford to have a cat. But the cat is free, so you know, it's free. Never mind the worming, feeding, litter, vaccinations etc and that's if it's healthy! If you let it roam outside chances are it's going to end up at the vet for more than a vax well before an indoor cat would.

QUOTE (Cranky Kitten @ 12/11/2012, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See I think this would stop *some* people, but others would just get another cat when the other one wanders off. The people that it would stop, those that would bother to look for their cat, are those that I believe we'd have a hope of educating to desex and keep their cat indoors.

3 of our 5 are rescues. Syd was 12 weeks old we when we got him (from the RSPCA), the other 2 were 6 months (from a rescue org). With the ginger boys, I only went for 1, but they asked if I'd take them both as they were concerned about how Oscar would cope without Bert. Ironically they don't seem to snuggle up and hang out together much these days, they will wrestle though. They both love the Bengals.

I wish I could take more, but like dreamingofcats, I don't think DF would appreciate another cat LOL

#25 Freddie'sMum

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

It's because people are rotten, horrible stinkers.

And if you remember that as you go thru life - you won't get so disappointed when they behave like rotten, horrible stinkers.

We need to (a) legislate it (b) enforce the laws - and hit people in the hip pocket - $$ and (c ) educate adults and children - the next generation of pet owners - that owning a pet is not a God-given right - you must take responsibility for said pet (dog / cat / goldfish / shark).

DH & I are debating whether or not to get a dog / puppy - but we have decided (as decent pet owners) that we can't afford it, can't spend time walking said dog / puppy and have agreed that now is NOT the right time to get said dog / puppy.

Why the F can't other people think like this too BEFORE getting a pet ??

Agree 100% with you OP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Weirdest pregnancy products

From pee stick keepers to stylish sick bags, there are some very strange inventions out there for pregnant women.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.