I AM their mother
Not their grandmother

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#1 bunnysquared

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

mad.gif
I am a 41 year old solo mum of twins. I had my hair done just recently so no grey!

I was going to do some clothes shopping, but a random stranger on the train put an end to that by telling me I was good to be taking the grandkids out.

Was so p*ssed off I could just glare at her and say that I was the mother.

So cranky when I got off the train that I couldn't shop !!

Anyone got a good comeback line if this happens again (god forbid).

#2 Suz01

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

That is so rude. I wouldn't worry, people with big mouths. Even if you were their grandmother who asked them...

#3 aprilrain

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Maybe choose to 'act' , not 'react'. Somebody is nice enough to start a conversation with you.  At 40 you could be either Mum or Nanna. That is reality. Someone can always choose to be offended.

Happens again - maybe smile and answer pleasantly. I know what I would be thinking if you glared at me. mad.gif

#4 Fr0g

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

I have little filter between my brain and mouth, so I would have thought out loud and embarrassed her:
"WHAT? Do I look that old??"  However she answered, I would have told her that it was a rude, presumptuous thing to say.  

I'd just put it out there.

#5 Starrydawn

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

I am 41 with a 17mth old. I could be her grandmother. I wouldn't let it bother me. I either would either nod and agree or just make a joke of it. Definitely wouldn't get so mad I didn't go shopping.

#6 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

It's not rude, just a wrong assumption. Easy mistake to make, someone was just trying to be pleasant, as frustrating as it is. I would have come back with some sort of pithy comment rather than an angry glare.

#7 Mianta

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Sorry pp, but she has every right to feel the way she does. What kind of idiot makes that assumption? It is like being asked when you are due when you are simply overweight! I think what needs to be practiced is to stop being so presumptious and if you can't figure out if someone is old/just overweight not pregnant/gay or straight or whatever, then you need to just shut the **** up.

#8 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

What kind of idiot makes an assumption that someone in their 40s might be a grandmother? Plenty of people I would say, there was a time that it wasn't uncommon at all, and I know a few people even now that are grandparents in their 40s.

Why get all p*ssed off and have your day ruined by an off the cuff comment by someone who was just trying to be friendly - let it go FFS and get on with your life, respond with a comment that lets the person know of their error, but it's hardly worth getting your knickers in a twist over it. Perhaps if people weren't so overly sensitive about every freaking little thing we'd live in a friendlier society with, I dunno, a sense of community!

Edited by Jemstar, 12 November 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#9 Feral_Mumma

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Chedasha @ 12/11/2012, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am 41 with a 17mth old. I could be her grandmother. I wouldn't let it bother me. I either would either nod and agree or just make a joke of it. Definitely wouldn't get so mad I didn't go shopping.

This, especially the shopping! lol. Ex's mum was just 40 when we had DS, maybe they just thought you were a young one. Having said that it was very rude, grand parents would probably be very happy to correct if someone assumed the children were their little ones but I cannot see any situation where the reverse would be true.

#10 stephanu

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

I agree with pp, you should have politely corrected her and gotten on with your day. She was trying to be friendly and probably felt awful already that she had put her foot in her mouth, a glare and nasty come back wouldn't of helped either of you feel ok about the situation. She shouldn't of assumed but its not unheard of for someone your age to be a grandparent.

Edited by stephanu, 12 November 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#11 SaintJoe

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

That's not rude at all. An unfortunate mistake. I'm sure the person feels dreadful.

I was 19 when.ny younger sister was born. I was constantly mistaken for the mother and sometimes got negative comments. Never particularly bothered me.

#12 Tooties

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

When my mum looks after my kids she gets mistaken for their mother.  She was a young mum and is now only in her early 50's but looks younger.  Its funny that she has the hasty reaction to correct them too.

She was probably just trying to make conversation and potentially find something in common to talk to you about as well as take an interest in the babies.  I think its nice that someone took their time to be interested and chat.

#13 Jenferal

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

It is possible you could be a grandmother. If you had a baby at 18 and your daughter had a baby at 18, then yes, you might well be a grandmother at 38 or 40.
I was asked if I was my baby's grandmother when I was 36 or 37, I don't have grey hair so I KNOW I don't look old as such, but with so many teen mums i didn't really take offense. Least she was being friendly and talking.

#14 Mianta

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Jemstar, while I get what you are saying, I think it would be also nice if people could possibly learn to be a bit more sensitive, rather than allow whatever they are thinking fall out of their mouths and hurt someone's feelings in the process.

While struggling to lose weight over the last few years, I have had more "oh when are you due" comments than I care to remember. I even had one idiot try to convince me to do a pregnancy test and have an ultrasound they were so bloody convinced and couldn't see that that their line of questioning was hurting my feelings. I wasn't even that overweight!

It is horrible to be on the end of a presumptious comment that feels like an insult, particularly if you feel a bit sensitive. It ruins your day, you get embarrassed, the person who has made the error then either gets embarrassed and makes an apology that makes you feel worse or tries to pretend it didn't happen or it's your fault that they made the remark to you.

Oh, well I guess I'm in minority here but all I'm saying is people should learn to be more tactful...

#15 Mianta

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Oops double post

Edited by Mianta, 12 November 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#16 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

If a person persisted after being corrected then that is insufferably rude and worthy of the person who is so insistent being shot down in flames. However, I don't think that's what happened here. I actually do get being a little bit miffed, but letting it ruin your whole day? Surely not.

I would think a simple 'oh no, I'm their mum' would suffice, probably with the person who said it in the first place being a bit embarrassed and apologising.

#17 bunnysquared

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I was already struggling with two toddlers who just wanted to run around a train and her comment kinda slayed me!

Wasn't in the mood to laugh it off today! I am usually ok with random comments (like are they IVF twins) and happily answer very personal questions but sheesh, she made me feel terrible!

#18 Feral like a Lemon

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

OP, my baby sister is 7 years younger than me and someone asked me if I was her mum. I was shattered. She is lovely but until DD was born people thought we were twins and then suddenly I look like her mum?!  cry1.gif
Hope that makes you feel a bit better.

#19 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Well I would be feeling a bit upset too. Especially if I wasn't having the best day to start with.

I'm 43 with a 2 year old. Also have a 4 and 7 year old. Thankfully I am yet to have the grandmother comments but I will be horrified when it happens. I'm not that old!

Someone last week thought I was in my mid 30s! That's not so bad! hehe biggrin.gif

#20 Bloomer

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Spent some time in singapore had a few cab drivers assume the same. Here in sydney there have been a few but I learnt to get in first. Also be proud you were able to do this at this age. I have decided if someone has the guts to call me my child's grandmother I would have no problem embarrassing them by putting it right...

I was 42 for baby 1 and 45 for baby 2.. So I am the right age to be their grandmother.   It will happen again be prepared don't let it bother you. I can only imagine how thin skinned I would be with twins on my own.. Time to toughen up original.gif never let anything put you off shopping.. And do not let it bother you.    Get better now the girls are at school.. Few people think I am not the oldest mum in the class....

#21 Illiterati

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

You could say something like ' I wish! Then I could give them back at the end of the day. I'm their mum'

#22 Silver Girl

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

I understand why you're upset, but agree with PPs that it is an understandable mistake. Grandparents are not necessarily elderly. EB recently featured a story about a 23 year old grandmother!

I hope your day has improved.

#23 Gembac8019

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

I have been asked if i am my younger brother's mother. I'm 30 and he is 20. then when I was pregnant with dd and ds, every stranger assumed he was my toy boy and we would get ccomments and filthy looks. I have also been asked if i am my older brother's mother.. wtf, he is 34!!

Yet when people ask me how old I am , and i tell them to guess, they say around 28?...
Many places I go to I get asked for I.D because some people don't believe I look over 18..  rolleyes.gif

some ppl need glasses. LOL.

#24 emwill

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

We have had that situation happen to us too.
Last school holidays my mum was up visiting and DH, I and the kids decided to take her 10 pin bowling. The girl setting up the lane commented to me that it was lovely that the kids 'grandparents' were having a day out with them, and offered my mum and DH a card for a free coffee for pensioners. Poor DH  quickly piped up that he was the father, but would enjoy the coffee anyways. It was embarrassing, but I was proud of the way he laughed it off.

#25 ~buzz~

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

I would have just corrected her and gone on with the rest of my day. My mum had my little sister at 40 and 41 and now at 47 will be a grandmother so I can see how it could easily be either

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.