Life Insurance OMG
Who are you with?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Eviesmum

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

The NAB advisor just did a plan for us and I can't believe the size of the insurance premium for hubbys life insurance. IT is $350 a month! THat is with MLC

I am sure it is good cover but we can't afford that much even if it comes out of super it is taking up half the employer contribution.

We can halve the benefit which would just cover the mortgage and keep income protection which would help but I wondered is this the best way to do things? Should I insure outside of super?

Can anyone recommend their insurance provider or give me any information ?

Thanks

#2 PurpleNess

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

All i can say is that it's bloody expensive. Both DH & I have Life  & TPD and DH has income protection, cost us nealry $500 a month. I've thought about ditching it but there is always the what ifs & the peace of mind now we have a young son is worth it.
We are with OnePath.

#3 Madnesscraves

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

your superannuation should have life insurance attached to it. most of them do. it's a bit cheaper too.

#4 Eviesmum

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

FYI

DH
1 million life
500 TDP
4k per month income protect
$300 per month premium

Me
500k life
500k TDP
2k per month income protect
$220 per month premium

OUCH it is MLC

There must be better alternatives

#5 PurpleNess

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Super won't get you the cover you have described here, not even close.

#6 aprilrain

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

I would advise - ring an independant broker - not one that is tied into selling their own companies products.  They then do a report for you and have to justify why they think certain policies are best for you.

I hyperventilate when I think about our premiums!!! blink.gif

#7 Cat©

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

We have about the same as you, DH pays $180 a month for his (has sep. life and TPD and income protection.) I think his life is only $700k though. His are level premiums thoguh so dotn go up as such (except CPI).

Mine is $600 a year. same amounts as you. I have no income protecition though, and my TPD is only $300k.

We go through Ben Irons at Xlife. My ins is with Commbank, Dh is with AXA and one other cant recall who though.

Edited by Cat©, 12 November 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#8 Allie_D

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Ours is through our financial planner at the Commonwealth bank (colonial first state). Both DH and I have Life insurance, income protection and TPD. Its around the amounts you said your quote was.

It's not cheap, but for us it means piece of mind because we run our own business.

As the planner pointed out, the coverage that came standard with our super from when we were employed did not come anywhere near to what we would actually need.

ETA- and we also both have trauma insurance.

Edited by Allie_D, 12 November 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#9 qak

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

You could cut out or reduce the TPD cover, because you will be getting  the income protection  payments .it means you would not get the lump sum if you had a event ...

#10 crayons

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

wow with MLC
i pay: $19/mnth for 1mil life
DH pays: $26/mnth for 1mil life

so I don't have TPD or inc protect at the moment though and this is paid through my SMSF

Have you looked at what you are covered for in terms of life in your superfund currently? they may be able to offer you a better deal and let you increase the coverage. Then you can look at funding the inc protect outside of super. Also look at the waiting times for receiving the inc protect that were quoted extending those times as much as you could afford can bring the premiums down.

#11 Lakey

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

We're just starting to go through all this, but we're using a Financial Advisor.

From what I understand the premiums will come out of our Super I think, so it won't actually affect our cash flow.  

May be worth speaking to someone independent.

#12 marley*and*me

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

It is your income protection that it making it that high, not the life insurance. Income protection is not cheap.

#13 Eviesmum

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I am going to email her. We currently pay the following

Colonial First State
DH
250k Life
250TPD
4k income protection for 2 years
$320 a year

Me
130k Life
130k TPD
Nil income
$170 a year.

I know that it is nice to have the security of the protection but at the price of half our annual super contributions by the employer I cannot justify it.

I will ask her for a new quote raising the life cover to enough to cover the mortgage and keeping the rest as Colonial has it.

A bit peeved as we now owe $660 even if we don't take up her plan. I might switch to the super she has suggested but forgo the life cover if she can't do better. I did a seperate quote with One Path and they were way cheaper.

#14 wannabe30

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (marley*and*me @ 12/11/2012, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is your income protection that it making it that high, not the life insurance. Income protection is not cheap.

Not sure about this. My inc protection is with MLC: $110 per month for $8k per month cover. DH is a slightly lower premium for slightly more cover (I cost more to insure because I am a "woman of childbearing age" - go figure!)  Premiums do depend on your age, though.

Agree with a PP if you have life and income protection you probably don't need TPD.

We have life insurance through our super for c$900k each. No idea how much it costs, but pretty sure it wasn't much.

#15 qak

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

But there is a huge difference between income protection that only provides cover for two years compared to age 60 or 65 ... I don't know how old you are but that could be 30 or 40 years!

#16 Phascogale

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

The premiums you pay depend on so many things.

Like someone said, the length of time your income protection is paid out.  Some is for 2-5 years max - others are till retirement (65-67 years).  The career you have will also change your premium ie one where there is a higher risk of injury ie working as a blast person in a mine will have a much higher premium (if they will even insure you) than an office worker, same as if you were working in a job where you are more likely to hurt your back.

Your age also has a big impact on premiums.  You can't compare someone who is 20 with someone who is 55.

The life insurance component is actually the cheap part as you are much less likely to die than you are to sustain an injury.  It's your income, tpd and trauma that's the expensive part.

#17 SeaPrincess

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Income protection is the expensive one.  I can't remember what we pay for DH's, but it's in that ballpark and I believe the premium is tax deductible.  We have that completely separate from our life insurances.

ETA. I've just read through a few more of the replies.  We went through a trusted financial planner (DH was his best man).  DH's life insurance through his super is $4M, mine is $1.5M, which was the most they would give me as a SAHM and is also paid out of DH's super. He used a calculator to factor in our mortgage being paid out, a certain amount of time for either of us not working if the other died, ongoing costs of childcare and education and various other things.  As our mortgage payout amount decreases and our children get older, we will look at reducing.

R

Edited by shmach, 12 November 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#18 Coffeegirl

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (shmach @ 12/11/2012, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Income protection is the expensive one.  I can't remember what we pay for DH's, but it's in that ballpark and I believe the premium is tax deductible.

Yep tax deductible as long as it is not taken through your super.  DH's income protection is about $8-900/ year on it's own.  White collar corporate job, but he travels a bit so it goes up.

#19 TheGreenSheep

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

We went though iselect to search out the one that ticked all the boxes for DH and I. He has income insurance provided by work, so only did life and TPD for us.

#20 jayskette

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Eviesmum @ 12/11/2012, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FYI

DH
1 million life
500 TDP
4k per month income protect
$300 per month premium

Me
500k life
500k TDP
2k per month income protect
$220 per month premium

OUCH it is MLC

There must be better alternatives

What is quoted here is not JUST life insurance, don't forget!

Also, DON'T settle on the default insurances provided for by your super because ALL of them are nowhere near adequate for actual needs.

#21 Sloane Peterson

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

We recently switched our super and life / income protection / tpd from MLC to an industry super fund (they outsource insurance to a preferred supplier). The insurances are about 1/4 the cost for insuring the same sums, and provided by a reputable insurer (TAL, was TOWER).

Interestingly we did not go through an advisor this time.

It's worth shopping around.

#22 qak

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Sloane Peterson @ 12/11/2012, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We recently switched our super and life / income protection / tpd from MLC to an industry super fund (they outsource insurance to a preferred supplier). The insurances are about 1/4 the cost for insuring the same sums, and provided by a reputable insurer (TAL, was TOWER).

But did you get exactly the same level of cover? With the same terms?

#23 JennaJ

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

A NAB adviser is only ever going to recommend MLC products same as a Westpac adviser will recommend BT and OnePath adviser will recommend OnePath.
To get a premium comparison, you really need to see an independant adviser who is not tied to any insurer and recieves the same commission regardless of which product they recommend.
The premiums are based on your ages, health and occupations. Check if the premiums are stepped or level as this will also impact what you pay now and in the future.
If you are upfront and tell them the maximum you are willing to spend on premiums, they will also be able to tailor a package within that budget by changing the levels of cover, the waiting period and benefit period on the income protection and check if they have used an own or any TPD occupation definition (own occ will be more expensive but can also be more valuable).
Trauma and Income protection insurance are the most expensive. Life cover is much cheaper and there are no variables.
Also try to keep all of the covers with the same insurer as you will generally receive multi-life and multi-cover discounts. Some insurers also offer 'volume' discounts i.e. the higher the level of cover, the higher the discount.

#24 Chchgirl

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

I'm with Comminsure through Commonwealth bank and pay about $76.00 per month for $600,000. That's death only I don't have anything else.

My dh was through MLC but it was paid partially by his work and partially through his salary. I can't tell you how much he paid per fortnight but can tell you when the crunch came they paid up pretty good and their claims dept were a dream to work with.

#25 CoFFeELoVe

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

On the topic of life Insurance, anyone here or whose partner works offshore, who do you insure with?

I have found most companies won't insure DH because he works offshore.

TIA!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.