Kobo Touch or Sony

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 qak

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Which one should I get ???

(I have pretty much discounted the Kindle, I don't like the idea of the Amazon model/control)

I am going to go and have a feel of the Kobo at Officeworks today, have to work out where I can try the Sony original.gif

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

I have the Sony ( previous model) and love it.

#3 kez71

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I also have the previous model of the sony and love it. I saw some in target if that helps you.

#4 PurpleNess

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

I have a Sony & think it's fab, easy to use, easy to lad books and very lightweight. Battery lasts for ages & is quick to charge....hope that helps.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

We're a Sony family here - my mum, my sister, mum's neighbour, cousin and I all have Sony.

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

DH and my dad are also Sony eReaders

Job hi fi have them locally where I am

Edited by lsolaBella, 12 November 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#7 Feraldadathome

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

The Kobo is quite a bit cheaper than the Sony, and the latest firmware makes it very competetive.

At the price, I'd find it hard to recommend the Sony over the Kobo, unless you prefer the feel.

#8 qak

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hmmm ... I went and tried them at JB Hi-fi (since Officeworks' display model didn't work!) and I think I prefer the Kobo!

Does anyone have the Kobo?? I am just wondering what the software for your computer does - can you categorise (catalogue!) the e-books by author, or how does that work?  If I have lots of free books do I have to back them up?

#9 IamzFeralz

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Yes, I've had the Kobo Touch for a year now and have been very pleased with it.  It's a huge improvement on its clunky predecessor which I also owned and is intuitive and very easy to use.

I use Adobe Editions which you download for free and it acts as a portal between your Kobo and all the sources of your ebooks i.e. stores, the public library or free book websites.   You can categorize your books on the computer that way as you see fit by creating new "bookshelves" and giving them their own title.  How are your free books currently stored?  

If you purchase books the ebook stores will also store the books under your account on their websites as well, so that you can re-download them at any time should your computer ever crash and you can't recover Adobe Editions.  We tend to do back ups of our computers anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Our Watch: ending the national emergency of domestic violence

An ambitious new national initiative aims to address the "national emergency" of domestic violence across Australia.

Decrease in stillbirths in late pregnancy and older mums

There has been a fall in the number of stillbirths among some groups of women despite the overall rate remaining stable, a new report reveals.

My baby was permanently injured during birth

My baby was a few months old when we first heard the term ?brachial plexus birth injury? and the heart wrenching news that he may never gain full function of his arm.

Being a yo-yo mama is the rhythm of motherhood

A flip-flop happy-sad can occur in the same minute, the same second. And it continues forever, throughout a yo-yo mama's tenure, beginning with pregnancy.

Is it okay to ask for money instead of gifts?

First it was weddings. Then it was engagement parties. Now it seems christenings are following the trend of asking guests for money in lieu of gifts.

Crash testing new parenthood

The new documentary series Crash Test Mummies & Daddies takes a fly-on-the-wall look at the first months of life with a newborn.

Itching for a solution to eczema

Around 30 per cent of children live with eczema every day. A dad shares his son's story and gets advice from an expert.

Video: The challenges and joys of making new mum friends

This hilarious video shows how making new mum friends can be awkward - but reassures that it is possible.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

'I wanted a heart over the i'

After naming her other daughter Princess Tiaamii, glamour model Katie Price needed a special name for her new baby.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.