Desexed dog and puppies
Is this what we think?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo Void

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

A little background to this story, my sister has had noises in her roof so she's thrown some bates up there thinking it was a rat.

Back to the  main story. My sister (L) has an adorable whipped (Poppy) who was desexed many moons ago, before she even reached puberty I'd imagine.  L noticed a revolting smell in the garden so went looking for the source but couldn't find it.  The next day she'd decided to give her dogs a bath and clean their bedding and when she got close to the dog kennel the smell became overwhelming.  As she pulled a blanket out a dead rat fell out.  It hadn't decomposed and it was warm like Poppy had been laying on it.  L was surprised that that much smell was coming off an undecomposed rat, that's when she found the other two rats in the back of the kennel.

L said she thinks Poppy found the half dead rats and tried to mother them.  Has one of your dogs ever done this?   It's just that she was fixed so young.....

I'm just a bit astonished, and a little sad for Poppy LOL.

#2 MrsLexiK

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

We had one dog who every spring time would dig like a nest.  My mum and dad who had both grown up with breeders and show dogs remember there non desexed doing this when they were younger.

#3 FiveAus

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Ive got an almost 7 yo Aussie Shepherd who was desexed as a baby, and treats her soft toys like they are puppies. She tucks them in close to her tummy, she holds them gently between her paws, she runs to protect them if she thinks one of the other dogs is going near them.
She also lifts her leg to pee, dominates every other dog she meets and starts fights over food.
She is my proof that the only thing desexing does is take away the ability to have babies. It takes away no natural instinct at all, and has no effect on a dominant nature. It hasn't affected her growth either, she is the smallest Aussie I've ever seen and in perfect proportion. I've read claims that desexing before adulthood causes dogs to grow bigger. If it did in her case, she would probably have been a midget.

#4 FiveAus

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Oh, and she brings her "puppies" to show me, at all times of the day and night and at 2am, I take them and toss them in the wardrobe without feeling one bit sorry for her. Because she insists I love them as much as she does, and pushes them into my face and under my chin while I'm trying to sleep. As soon as I remove them, she goes to bed and sleeps too.

#5 Mini_feral

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

I'm not sure about the desexed thing, but isn't it dangerous for dogs to chew/lick dead rats that have been poisoned? I always thought you had to be super careful with rat bait and dogs.... Dogs can be poisoned by the rats body. At least she's not chewing them! But something for your sister to be aware of...

#6 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

First - I'd be taking the dog to the vet to make sure she hasn't been poisoned from the rats.  

Also rats stink when they die, no matter how long they have been dead for.

Also, my female who was desexed after her first heat, loves nothing more than rubbing herself in anything that is dead if she can get away with it. To them it's like 'perfume' - so you'll most probably find that is what she has done as well.

#7 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'm more in the camp of she was saving them for 'ron.

Later on.

Whippets have a fairly strong prey drive, my guess is she's 'finished them off' when they've come looking for water, and them dragged them off to her lair to um, potentially eat if she felt like it (if you're a dog, this makes sense, trust me). Lairs are good spots for hiding bones and corpses and other things you intend to eat later.

Also, if you're sitting on them, other people (and dogs and things) can't take them away from you.

So no, I don't think this is a maternal urge at all.

(The PP with the toys - not maternal, just a game)

#8 Romeo Void

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

minimae my sister wasn't expecting any actual rats, she thought they were probably possums.  She's very grossed out and shocked that there were four of them (they found another in a drain).

Spikey that makes sense, I'll let my sister know.  I think she's feeling a little sad that she never got to have a litter.  Now that you mention it I had a dog that would roll in the most disgusting stuff, one time he disappeared into some long grass and came out with human feces smeared all over him.  There were nuggets wedged into his collar.  I handed his lead to my DH and said 'you take care of this' and walked home LOL.

#9 dreamingofcats

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

How strange OP.

We had a cat when I was a teen, male and desexed. Was a very happy boy. We brought home a kitten, would have been lucky to be six weeks and the kitten thought it was his mother and tried to suckle from it. Older cat then suddenly decided it was the parent and would let it suckle and nutured it. Was very weird.

#10 Romeo Void

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Well she does groom/deflea the cat and their other dog, and has been known to round up soft toys.  I don't know, I'm kinda thinking it might be what Spikey said though.  Nicer idea than she's pining for puppies that she can never have.

#11 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

There is a very big difference between a live kitten suckling an adult cat, and an adult dog storing up rat corpses.

#12 la di dah

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

I know someone who had a terrier and she went to put his bed in the wash and she said she gave it a shake for dust and bits and she heard an "oddly ceramic clatter."

Carefully polished clean rat skulls skittering across her hardwood floor.

I would say its fortunate she was saving them for later, poisoned rat can make a dog really sick but I suspect they were toys/noms too. Who doesn't love stinky dead rat?

Even my ridiculous warped dog that barely had any food drive at all and liked to try and live on apple and yogurt (really, he didn't like meat or kibble much) both would catch mice - especially stupid looking as he was a big dog - and would happily investigate roadkill squirrel while still claiming to be too good for any form of food at home.  sick.gif But he wasn't mothering it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.