Are baby bjorns a guy thing?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 (feral)epg

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Most of the reviews here seem to lean far more towards the ergo/ manduca type baby carriers, but I'm having a hard time convincing DP to follow this advice?
Today we were out and noticed that there are loads of men using baby bjorns, and loads of women with other types of carriers.  One couple in particular swapped the carrier when they switched who was carrying the baby - the husband used the baby bjorn, then the wife switched to a sling.  Baby looked pretty happy all the time (only made  a fuss when put in the car seatcapsule while the switch over was being performed.)
Are there other couples out there who have splurged on getting one of each type of carrier?
Is there some anatomical difference that makes different carriers different for different sexes?
And do any of you Manduca / Ergo wearing mothers find that your male partners prefer the baby bjorn?

#2 mumtoactivetoddler

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

I don't know if it helps but both DH and I loved the baby bjorn active.

#3 Le-a

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

We were gifted a baby bjorn but I bough a Manduca when DS was about six months old original.gif

I liked the baby bjorn until DS started putting on more weight and then I found it killed my neck/shoulders to wear him in it even for only 15 mins (ie quick trip to shops).

The Manduca kinda distributes the weight more to your hips, IMO. I found it much more comfortable. And because I could put him on my back in the MD It was more practical as my arms were completely free to do stuff.

DH liked to use both, but he was more likely to wear DS outward facing in the bb than I was, but that is because I never liked to wear him outward facing at all. I don't think he really had a preference- he just did what I was doing!

#4 bakesferalgirls

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

We have a Baby Bjorn. We both preferred it over the other types of slings, even though we tried others out.

#5 WYSIWYG

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

I guess guys might be more able to live through the discomfort and pain that the bjorn puts the wearer through? Though DF and I both agree that the bjorn is rubbish and will be splurging on a ergo next time.

#6 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Baby Bjorns are the cheapest carrier, so many many people buy them. And then only the men can wear them because they are so uncomfortable. Note that they are also utterly rubbish for babies hips. I think that women wear 'other' carriers because the only women willing to carry an older baby in a carrier are those in possession of a comfortable carrier. Everyone else puts the baby in a pram. Whereas if they already possess a Baby Bjorn, then the bloke will use it.

A carrier is not a fashion statement. It doesn't matter how it looks, if its not comfortable. And if it puts you baby at much greater risk of long term hip problems. Buy something where the baby sits in it with the hips flexed to 90 degrees, not a baby bjorn where they dangle off their crotch. Its really bad for them, and that alone should convince your DH to stay away from baby bjorns.

#7 HurryUpAlready

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

I don't find my Baby Bjorn carrier to be uncomfortable at all. I think the model is "Synergy", which has the extra back support, taking a lot of the weight off of your shoulders.

My DD is 9 months and around 9 kg and I still use it - mainly when doing the grocery shopping. I love it!

I have only ever faced her outwards in the carrier (started using it at 16 weeks). She is too curious to face my chest, she wants to see the world! Also, being a breast fed baby, having her face stuck in my boobs means she just wanted a feed. So a carrier that doesn't allow for outward facing wouldn't have worked for us.

efs

Edited by HurryUpAlready, 12 November 2012 - 12:21 AM.

#8 axiomae

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

DH loves the hugabub in black - looks great. Baby Bjorns really are awful. I'm too short waisted for the hugabub so I wear the Ergo Sport - super comfortable and I could wear DD for hours! So much better for baby that being in one of those crotch-danglers.

#9 ubermum

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

I agree with MrsN on this. You see babybjorns because they are cheap and have great marketing strategies in place. Get an Ergo for a structured carrier or a wrap (eg. hug a bub, sleepy wrap) for a non structured carrier.

#10 Le-a

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (HurryUpAlready @ 12/11/2012, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't find my Baby Bjorn carrier to be uncomfortable at all. I think the model is "Synergy", which has the extra back support, taking a lot of the weight off of your shoulders.

My DD is 9 months and around 9 kg and I still use it - mainly when doing the grocery shopping. I love it!

I have only ever faced her outwards in the carrier (started using it at 16 weeks). She is too curious to face my chest, she wants to see the world! Also, being a breast fed baby, having her face stuck in my boobs means she just wanted a feed. So a carrier that doesn't allow for outward facing wouldn't have worked for us.

efs

My bold.

Interesting. DS was also breastfed and this was not our experience. Each to their own, but I hated wearing DS outward facing, he got totally overstimulated and I felt like he needed the security of being able to see the person who was carrying him.

Also wanted to add that my mum also rated the Manduca over the BB. She would jump at the chance to wear dS if we went anywhere original.gif but would get sore shoulders with the BB.

#11 ekbaby

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Baby Bjorns are actually not cheap, the other versions like the Snuggli/Big W versions etc are (maybe $60?) but the Baby Bjorns I think are at least $129... up to $170 for the active and/or mesh versions, $209 for the miracle... (roughly)... Ergos start at $159 rrp...and you will get much more use out of them.

The Ergos/Manducas come in plain colours like black etc that are very "guy friendly" in terms of looks

#12 Katie_bella

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

DH, well we both, use the hug a bub with little babies then the ergo.....he LOVES carrying DD in the ergo. The BB's don't sit well with us because of the hip thing (pardon the pun!). Plus I hate seeing little babies hanging off their parents outward facing, to me that negates the point of carrying them, you can't see their face, they can't see you. wink.gif

I would go with the fact that traditional BB's get very uncomfortable very quickly as your baby grows, most women can't use them for very long, but blokes have enough upper body/shoulder strength to be able to do it.

#13 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

My DH is quite big and the Ergo simply didn't fit around him. The BB has very long straps though, so he could get it to juuuust fit. Otherwise he would have used the Ergo, I'm sure. It really is so much comfier.

I can see why you'd swap carriers though - DH and I are chalk and cheese in terms of size, it would be much easier to have one carrier which remains set up for each than to muck about with the straps every time.

BB has a very good marketing program, I think many people buy those when they're expecting baby, then are stuck with them when the baby is a few months old and too heavy to carry comfortably. That's probably why some couples have ended up with two carriers.

#14 laridae

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

We have both an Ergo and a BB.

I got the BB first, before DD was born (2nd hand pretty cheap).

It wasn't very long before she was feeling far to heavy to carry that way.  So I got an Ergo, so much lighter! DH kept using the BB and he had it adjusted to his size, while I had the Ergo adjusted to my size.

Never had any trouble with DD facing towards me instead of outwards, and it was much easier to walk without her legs dangling down and hitting mine.

#15 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

We started with a sling, and then moved to the ergo. DH has used both, altho he doesn't love wearing the ergo for long on his front... DS is ok on the back for short periods, but if he's going to sleep he likes to be on the front.

Hate BB's and their forward facing crotch dangling marketing ploy.....

We just adjust the strapping between us, but only have one carrier.... DH is keen to get a sport for next time tho...

#16 galba

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

BB wearers here - no crotch dangling though as I wore it quite high and DH is very tall.  

#17 Katie_bella

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (galba @ 12/11/2012, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BB wearers here - no crotch dangling though as I wore it quite high and DH is very tall.

Crotch dangling refers to the baby dangling BY the crotch, not down near YOUR crotch huh.gif

#18 IsolaBella

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Both DH and I were baby Bjorn people. I tried and hated the other slings etc.

#19 Propaganda

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

An Ergo is not terribly feminine in its design, unlike slings, the hug-a-bub and similar, so I don't know why a man wouldn't use one. They're much better for a baby's spine than a bjorn is.

#20 Feral Borgia

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Katie_bella @ 12/11/2012, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Crotch dangling refers to the baby dangling BY the crotch, not down near YOUR crotch huh.gif

This quote reminds me....we had a BB for both boys, DS1 loved it and DH took him out in it a fair bit, except DS was of a certain height that whenever he was in it and would see something that excited him, like a dog or a truck, he d kick his legs wildly in excitement right in DH's er, sensitive mans area....DH took to wearing a cricket box underneath his pants whenever he took DS out in it (I'm not joking)

But more importantly, I had no idea BBs were so bad for the baby's hips....as I said we used it a lot for DS1, and he HAD clicky hips and was in a pavlik harness for 8 weeks from birth...I am almost certain that the paediatrician actually recommended a harness to carry him around, but I could be wrong, it was all a bit of a blur ...maybe he recommended another harness..not sure. Anyway, we don't carry DS2 around in it much, he likes the pram and the BB hurts my back and, well, DH has lost his cricket box so he'd prefer not to use the BB again!

#21 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

I agree, I've seen lots of blokes with babies in BBs and never one with an Ergo-style or wrap style.

But I see plenty of men with the hiking type baby backpacks too (like Macpac) - maybe that's what they do when the babies get too heavy for the BB.

#22 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

I know a lot of people hate BB's but I used one for both my girls and didn't find it uncomfortable. I carried them both until they were around one.

When I was pregnant with my second my eldest was seeing a child physio as she was developmentally behind. I asked if it was because of the BB and was told no and it was fine/recommended to use one for my second.

Sounds like I may have got some dodgy advice!

In terms of a men and carriers, there were none on the market large enough for my then DH so it was a bit of a non issue. I imagine if he had used one we would probably have two. Ii would be really annoying to adjust the straps every time you switched.

#23 Kay1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I like a pouch sling (I use hotslings) because they look pretty, are fuss free and I can have one stuffed in the nappy bag at all times.

I like the Baby Bjorn for short trips, like school pick up etc because its less fussy than the ergo but gets uncomfortable after a while. DH never wears the baby but has used the BB with our older kids in the past.

I like the Ergo but with the newborn insert its kind of bulky and hot. I think I'll like it more when he's a bit bigger.

I was told by another mum the other day that she'd been told by a physio not to use a pouch sling as it was bad for baby's hips and to use a Baby Bjorn at all times. So much conflicting advice!

#24 Ellen D

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (heffalumpsnwoozles @ 12/11/2012, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My DH is quite big and the Ergo simply didn't fit around him. The BB has very long straps though, so he could get it to juuuust fit. Otherwise he would have used the Ergo, I'm sure. It really is so much comfier.

heff, I think you can actually get extension straps for the ergo - very similar to an extension piece for an airplane seatbelt.

#25 Feral timtam

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

We've got a Baby Bjorn, two Sleepy Wraps and a Boba 2G. The Baby Bjorn is carrier of last resort for both of us, and it depends on the child as to whether we want to use the Boba or the Sleepy Wraps. DH would rather use the hot pink sleepy wrap than the Baby Bjorn!

DS2 likes to 'chew' on the carriers so at the moment with him we're always reaching for the Boba, baby slobber soaked Sleepy Wraps are not at all comfortable, they get used for the older two kids. Every other baby wearer we know does it the other way round, sleepy wrap or hug a bub for the baby, structured carrier for the toddler.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.