Aldi
Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ♥Rumpelstiltskin♥

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

If you shop at Aldi what do you love to buy because of taste or value for money ....?????
We are looking at shopping at Aldi and I know that some stuff is crap and some are good ....
Thanks ....original.gif

#2 whatnamenow

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

I love their frozen products.  We often will just do a big Aldi shop once a month to stock up on the frozens.  Also their turkish bread is good and so much cheaper than anywhere else.  The kids school snacks as well.

#3 opethmum

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

What I love
-Remano Pasta Sauce/Bake / Pasta / Passatta
-Trimat Laundry Powder/Laundry booster
-Casa Barelli items sauces, Oven Bake Pizza range
-Tinned Tomato
-Tomato Sauce
- White Mill Bake range, incredibly well priced and good range
- The Bakehouse Bread range, helga's quality but cheaper
- Market Fare frozen veg range
- Brookdale Yoghurt really good quality and Dairy Fine dairy range is quite good
- Milk UHT/ Fresh is good
-Their biscuit range and lunch box fillers are great
- The ravioli and sauce range is quite good
-Merivale brand salads are good
-Lacura Moisturiser
-Chocolate stuffs
-Mamia Range

What I don't like
Pet food range can be quite limited
Batteries
Goldenvale cereals are ok

#4 MrsLexiK

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Frozen stuff, I found until the fresh fruit and veg opened that Aldi had the freshest fruit and veg in our area. Now they are still above the Coles and woolies ill still buy from Aldi occasionally. Onions and potatoes are always soooooo cheap!

I also don't mind some of their meat. I find it hard to get smaller portions in woolies or Coles and I don't find our butcher that much fresher and they are $$$$$. Things like pork and lamb which only DH eats come in good sizes and are cheap, also mince need is cheap as well.

#5 mumto3princesses

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

All the staples stuff is good. You can't really go wrong with all of that. Like rice, pasta, flour, tin tomatoes, tin peaches etc, tinned soup and pasta sauce etc. Weet bix is ok.

The individual packets of rice cracker snacks are nice. And the tempura chicken breast nuggets are good.

Oh, and curly fries. Yummy with sour cream but not very good for you.

Depending on the store fruit and veg can be a bit hit and miss.

We like their nappysan but don't really like the washing detergent. Dish detergent is ok though. Toothpaste is yucky. And we don't like the flavoured rice/pasta packets.

#6 MrsFeral247

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

White coconut chocolate *drool*
Frozen gourmet pizza
Frozen lamb shanks
Light smooth ricotta
Prepacked ham
Chicken thigh
Chocolate chip cookies
Body wash
Double cream
Flour/ sugar/ rice/ pasta
Tomato paste/ spaghetti sauce
Wedges

Ok... Basically most of the staples, junk food and frozen stuff lol.

Like Aldi Mum on Facebook - she does reviews.

#7 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

their meat! I have a lot of my own beef but purchase pork, chicken and veal from aldi. My closest doesnt' have great fruit and vege, but I do most of my dry goods, cleaning products, nappies, chocolate, kids snacks and cheeses, and yes their frozen foods are great.

#8 Shanski

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

We love the dish washing liquid concentrate in the green bottle, also the paper towels, window spray and chux.

The Lacura serum and moisturiser are awesome - I use the anti wrinkle serum and it is brilliant.

The cheese is fantastic - plastic wrapped cheese or tasty block and grated - cheap and tastes great. They also have one of the best blue cheeses I have tasted.

The rice bubbles and cornflakes taste delicious and my kids prefer the Aldi ones over the name brands.

Some things you will have to try yourself depending in your tastes but these might get you started.

#9 bunnee

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Some good ideas in these threads

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/forums/ind...l=aldi+products

#10 AMPSyd

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Like...

Ice creams
Lite cheese - really yummy
Olives
Pasta
Tinned tomatoes/paste
Rice
Lacura face products
Samson hand towels
School lunch box snacks - like fruity bars
Staples like sugar and flour
Cleaning products
cling wrap and baking paper
snack chip range - great flavours

Used to like but now don't
Stir fry sauce range - used to be really yummy but somehow they have changed the consistency and quality.
chicken nuggets (though the chicken snitchels (sp) are still good)

#11 Feral Cancerian

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Their tinned fruit is great - especially the pineapple. Don't like their chips though.

#12 Kabu84

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

I like their meat and generally most of the pantry stuff. I LOVE their face moisturiser - Lacura is the brand. I've had $50-$100 bottles of moisturiser before and this one is just as good.

Not too big on their fruit and veg though.

#13 Meagan

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

The only thing I won't buy for my own use is toothpaste. A hangover from being pregnant & morning sickness. There are a few products that I wouldn't buy anywhere like simmer sauces & similar - I make my own. Just pick fruit & veg carefully.

#14 Maple Leaf

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Their gourmet ice cream and chocolate. Dishwasher tablets. Raisin bread.

those things I always buy there. original.gif

#15 Cath42

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Believe it or not, their nappies are very good for those parents who use disposables. I took my son to a routine paediatric appointment when he was 12 months old, and his paediatrician noticed he was wearing a Huggies nappy. She told me that the best and cheapest nappies on the market were the Mamia brand that were sold at Aldi. She was right! They're certainly just as good as Huggies.

#16 be_a_butterfly

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

The poppers are cheap and my kids love them
Silverside pieces are nice, I wont buy it from anywhere else now.
Blocks of chocolate
Dishwashing powder
trimat washing powder

#17 aztecblue

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

I usually go to Aldi to buy their special buys that come out on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I have the Aldi app on my iphone, and if I see a special buy I try to get there early on the day it come out. Its amazing how fast some of their stuff sells out.

#18 Holidayromp

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (opethmum @ 11/11/2012, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- The Bakehouse Bread range, helga's quality but cheaper

The Bakehouse bread range is made by Tiptop and I suspect it is Helgas.  If you look at the packaging of alot of products for example Protene is actually Pantene, Sweet Valley is actually Goulburn Valley.  Raffetys Garden is Mamia Baby food.

Also you will find the packaging is very similiar and I have had to double take several times around Aldi.

The best thing is to do a shop and make your own mind up.

But the Choceur White Crisp chocolate is to die for.  Also the cooking chocolate is excellent for cooking. But I find the chocolate is not as nice as Cadburys and I cannot make the link to any other brands.

In the frozen dessert area - Spiders are actually splices.

We love Aldi and we save $$$.  For less than $70.00 we can get food for a week for a family of 5.

#19 sophiasmum

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

We do our weekly shop at Aldi, we buy everything we need, the only time we go to Coles or Woolies is if it's something Aldi doesn't stock (eg. they don't have all the dried herbs we need, they don't have cocoa powder, etc).

#20 Studybug

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

organic full cream milk
occasionally fruit and veg
their "gourmet" ice cream
organic tinned food range
special buys
milo
organic coffee and teabags

dislikes:
all of their chocolate
baby food pouches
toilet paper
toothpaste
and the weight of my conscience after shopping there due to questionable ethics

I shop there alot less than I used to and really only if budget is tight, due to attempting to be choosy with my brands and food ingredients.

#21 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (Studybug @ 12/11/2012, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dislikes:

and the weight of my conscience after shopping there due to questionable ethics

I shop there alot less than I used to and really only if budget is tight, due to attempting to be choosy with my brands and food ingredients.

Genuine question what do you mean 'questionable ethics' and are you comparing said ethics to the big two? is are they somehow better
as I said genuine question

#22 Pinky101

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

We buy:

Weetbix type wheat biscuits
Porridge oats
Moser Roth dark chocolate
Dried apricots/prunes
Tinned fruit
Nappies
Baby wipes
Logix dishwasher powder (rated highly by Choice)
Trimat front loader washing powder (also rated highly by Choice)
Washing up liquid
Cleaning products incl. bicarb and vinegar for most cleaning
Pasta
Rice
Australian tinned tomatoes
Olive Oil
Flour/sugar
Herbal teas are okay, but not such a fan of their Earl Grey although it doesn't taste horrible
Lacura face serum and eye gel
Body wash
Toilet paper
Paper towels 3ply
Aloe Vera tissues
Kitchen bin liners/Cling wrap/foil/baking paper
Frozen raspberries
Cheese - haven't tried everything but all the ones we've tried have been good
Greek yoghurt
Ham
Meat is pretty good - we've had some really good eye fillet and the chuck steak is very good and cheap but not always available at our store
Sometimes the fruit and veg is okay.
Bread - the lebanese flat bread and Helga's style are good
Fresh ravioli pasta
Strawberries and blueberries can also be cheaper than elsewhere

Basically, we can do the majority of our weekly shop here now. I do wish they had a diet yoghurt e.g. like Yoplait Forme or Nestle Soleil, but I can live without that anyway.

We were both pretty anti-Aldi before we moved overseas, but since we had to switch brands for almost all products while overseas, we've had less brand loyalty since we've been back and are more willing to give other brands a try. And we save a lot of money when compared with what we used to spend at Coles for similar products.

They do some great one-off specials too. We've picked up some great kids toys.

#23 Mynewname

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (3Keiki @ 12/11/2012, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Genuine question what do you mean 'questionable ethics' and are you comparing said ethics to the big two? is are they somehow better
as I said genuine question

I was going to ask exactly the same question. Is there something I didn't know?

Also, comparing the bread to helgas, I once compared the ingredients and it was exactly the same.

I'm also fan of the frozen veg and the frozen yorkshire puddings.

Also, another for the kids snacks, crackers, cheeses and yoghurts. All similar to the others but much cheeper.

#24 Feral timtam

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I have a hard time keeping the chocolates and lollies out of our trolley, DH loves both. I do too but I have poor impulse control and my waist is a bit bigger than it should be. pretty much all of the individually wrapped lunch box type things are pretty good too.

I like their meats, we tried buying from one of those big discount butchers that Today Tonight raved about and the meat was poor quality and considerably pricier than Aldi's meats. Aldi meat is at least a consistent quality and the price is the same week in, week out.

We get their dishwasher tablets and the green multi-purpose spray, the green one from Aldi is the only one DH doesn't have a reaction to. I like their peppermint dishwashing liquid, DH doesn't.

The fresh fruit and veg are hit and miss, I love their cut flowers and usually get a bunch or two every week but there is one local store that we won't buy flowers from as they always seem to wilk extrememly quickly when purchased at that store.

The wet pet food is one thing we will NOT buy, our little dog won't eat it and the other dog gets rather aromatic when he does it eat. Dry food on the other hand Aldi brand is the only one the dogs will eat.

#25 Studybug

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

3Keiki
My understanding is that whilst a large portion of the products are Australian made, Aldi is known for using sweatshop labour, and exploiting workers.  The other 2 are no better in this respect, but if I choose my brands carefully from the big 2 it helps me to minimise my supporting of brands who also engage in these practices.  Unfortunately, due to location I don't really have any other choices for local grocery shopping.

I also have a struggle between shopping ethically and shopping to avoid certain ingredients as there's alot of times I have to choose one or the other.  Add to that, tight budgeting and grocery shopping can be a real pain...But that's a whole different thread!

I guess my aim is to minimise my impact whilst shopping within my budget and time constraints for healthy foods and sometimes I grapple with my choices, that's all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind", as one writer has claimed?

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.