Sexist way of reporting something..
or just stating the facts?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bluprintwil

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Mum freed of drug charges

They have a drop down menu in this article, about a mother being freed of drug trafficking charges, that displays her 'family tree' of children. All are not in her care, and one that is listed was miscarried at 17 weeks, which rounds the number of children she has birthed as 8.

I just found it really offensive that her role as a mother has been latched onto by the media and can't IMAGINE for a second that it would happen if it was a father.

Unless there is something in this story I am unaware of, I just found it totally pathetic that the Australian media are doing this, when it is something I am more akin to seeing in British media, where it is 'anything to sell a story'.

Very keen to hear others views on this.

#2 Mocha Coffee

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

I very much agree with you and find it entirely unnecessary.

#3 SnazzyFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

I think it is sexist but it is pretty normal for a woman to be identifed by her sexual avalibility and her family role rather than as an individual.

#4 ShopgirlX

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

Information that has no relevance to the story!  I don't think it's sexist though, but it is typical media sensationalism.  I can't stand the way a lot of things are reported these days (and don't get me started on some of the appalling language used - !).

#5 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

It's very odd and a lot of the information has no relevance to the case. I guess they are trying to portray her in a certain way.

#6 BetteBoop

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

That timeline is utterly revolting. Why does the average person need her life splayed out in lurid detail, including photos to illustrate?

The charges were dropped in Malaysia but now she's on trial in the Australian media.

#7 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

Because it makes a better story when the media can be morally outraged that she has six children who don't live with her.
They are painting her to be a certain "kind of person" which is just one of many reasons that I can't stand our current media.

#8 Oriental lily

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

They had a three page spread on this woman with a whole bio on her provided by her eldest daughter and mum in the herald sun a month or so ago.
It was deffinately done to set her in a 'loser' light.

Yet chopper reed gets front page news promoting his new book...

The media likes nothing better that ripping a less than ideal mother to shreads.

But if you are convicted crook and murderer who tells a good yarn then they are whorshiped rolleyes.gif .

There is deffinately a element od sexism in it.

Edited by Oriental lily, 10 November 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#9 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE (shopgirl76 @ 09/11/2012, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Information that has no relevance to the story!  I don't think it's sexist though, but it is typical media sensationalism.  I can't stand the way a lot of things are reported these days (and don't get me started on some of the appalling language used - !).

Agreed. Journalism really isn't what it used to be.

#10 mandala

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

Just for comparison, the ABC and Age articles describe her as a nurse and don't mention her children at all, while the SBS website describes her as a mother of six - but no timeline.

The timeline in the originally posted article serves no purpose other than to make it easier to judge her for her life. Nice to see that they note where the fathers are unknown, and provide dates so you can really tut over her children. Then to describe a miscarriage as a stillbirth and include that - what purpose is there in including that if not to imply that she's a bad mother and therefore a bad person?

#11 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

Because it makes such a lovely morality tale for all those naughty girls out there. If you don't keep your legs together girls, you will be on a downward spiral like this woman.

#12 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

I was shocked when I first saw that version of the story and agree with you entirely OP (and with the comments about journalism - you would think with there over all being far less journalists would mean editors and owners would keep the good ones but it doesn't appear to work that way!)

Having said that I think when the media gets a hold of something they go into as much detail as possible regardless of the subject - it is mostly "pretty white girls" because as we all know girls should be at home raising kids and being nice, bad boys are much more acceptable however I can think of (but not provide evidence because I can't be a*sed) idiotic programs chasing up "welfare dads" and dads who don't pay childcare to their "heaps of kids to different mums" (I think we all know which programs I'm alluding to!)

The commercial media seems to be getting worse in both it's choice of stories and it's reporting of them. It's all entertainment now, not someone's life sad.gif

#13 BetteBoop

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 10/11/2012, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The media likes nothing better that ripping a less than ideal mother to shreads.

I agree. She fits the 5 kids to 8 different dads stereotype.

The story would be even better if they listed all of the men she's had sex with.

Edited by BetteBoop, 10 November 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#14 Oriental lily

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Well the article I read said she had a preference to black men.

So getting close BB.

#15 BetteBoop

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 10/11/2012, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the article I read said she had a preference to black men.

Well that completes the picture a bit better. Any mention of preferred sexual positions?

The public has a right to know.

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

I would really love for her to come back to Australia remembering she has been convicted of NOTHING and get a good lawyer and sue he bum of the herald sun and the like for defamation of character and invasion of privacy.

How dare they make a innocents woman's life fodder for gossip!

#17 Oriental lily

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

She was innocent because she was not convicted and they found no grounds to charge her.

Think what you like about it but that's the official ruling.

It does not matter who provided the information on her the herald sun was the one who chose to compile the story and get the juicy gossip and back story in the public arena.

We are constantly told on EB that lawyers advice them to not let people speculate due concerns of legal action. And we the public are providing the speculation.

So that indicates to me she would have a case.

Edited by Oriental lily, 10 November 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#18 Nataliah

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

I completely agree with everyone here.  I am also pretty disgusted at the detail they go into on the family, in particular naming the grandmother who is caring for one of her children.  If anyone is definitely innocent it is those children and their carers, they do not deserve such identifying information about them spread around...

#19 red_squirrel

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

It's to paint her as a certain type of woman. i.e Bogan
because only bogan's are drug smugglers don't ya know.

Besides 1kg of meth? who did it belong to?  knew nothing of it my backside.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.