do your preschoolers colour in?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tenar

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

DD1 is 3.5.  Her idea of "colour in this picture" is to cover the whole page in one colour of random scribble.  I was trying to get her interested in the idea, today, of trying to colour different parts of the picture in different colours, but  no real interest on her part.  

Do your preschoolers colour things in, or am I expecting too much?  To be honest I was mostly trying to spin out the activity she was doing,  but she just wanted to scribble all over each picture and move to the next dot-to-dot.

#2 Anivad

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

My youngest DD was like that at 3.5 yrs.  Now at 4.5 years she is quite good at colouring.  I dont believe her to be artistically talented though.  My eldest DD however was quite proficient at colouring at 2 yrs old and now at 9 yrs is excellent at drawing etc- very arty.  So it depends on the child and whether they are naturally an arty person I guess.

Edited by Anivad, 09 November 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#3 CountryFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Give her blank paper and let her find her own way.  That 'random scribble' is her stuff... let her express!

#4 CupOfCoffee

My 3.5year old has moments of being able to kind of colour in, but generally it is one (or two) colours all over (except on the ipad, she is ok on the ipad for some reason).

#5 whatnamenow

Under the new EYLF we are being encouraged to not even provide colouring in sheets as it constrains their creativity.  So i wouldnt worry too much about it.  Here's a link to an article to get you thinking...

emergent curriculum

#6 Gumbette

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

My 4.5 y.o has always been anal about getting the right colours. Not fabulous with staying in the lines though.

#7 whale-woman

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

DD colours in from maybe 2.

What about getting her some of those paint with water books and teaching her to paint the different sections to get the color to come out. Hopefully with brush rinsing between sections/colors.

#8 tenar

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 09/11/2012, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Give her blank paper and let her find her own way.  That 'random scribble' is her stuff... let her express!

Well that's what she mostly does, of course, and she draws some great pictures, too, sometimes (well I think they are great any time I can vaguely recognize what it's supposed to be a picture of).  Lots of plain old scribbling as well.  

But in this case she was doing a book of dot-to-dots, which she loves, and I wanted to slow her down so as not to run through the whole book in one sitting - know what I mean?  

I'm glad to know others preschoolers aren't into colouring.

#9 AnotherFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. Freestyle drawing and exploring the materials is better for developing creativity and thinking skills.

#10 Lil Chickens

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

DD is the same age and has only just started using more than one colour on any page.  She shows no siign of going anywhere near the lines!

I've never worried about it for her but it kills me to look at as I can be quite anal about these things.

#11 Born Slippy

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

DD (just turned 3) has no interest in colouring - scribbles all in one colour and runs off. She is quite good at drawing though, so we mostly do that.

Well she does that, while I colour. I love colouring!

#12 adnama

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

DS is 4 on wednesday he does not have the attention span at all to draw or colour in (but will watch adult movies like ghostbusters and not move). He will scribble in one colour and will be done.

#13 SeaPrincess

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Mine have all been quite different.  DS1 would colour everything only 1 colour, usually black or red.  Once he started school, he started using more colours.
DS2 used to be quite careful - like to colour small spots on a dog, for example, and the be perfect, but the rest of the page was uncoloured. Now he uses lots of colours, but goes as fast as he can, so it's not as tidy, but the whole page is full. (We used to spend a lot of time colouring together and he'd do the fiddly bits that he liked and I'd do the rest)
DD is 3 now and loves to colour.  She uses different colours, and does like to have a picture to colour, but the colouring ranges from random scribbles to quite careful neat colouring depending on her mood.

R

#14 katniss

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (charlottesmum04 @ 09/11/2012, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Under the new EYLF we are being encouraged to not even provide colouring in sheets as it constrains their creativity.  So i wouldnt worry too much about it.

yyes.gif In my early childhood education art class we are strongly encouraged not to introduce colour in sheets to early childhood students.

QUOTE (tenar @ 09/11/2012, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well that's what she mostly does, of course, and she draws some great pictures, too, sometimes (well I think they are great any time I can vaguely recognize what it's supposed to be a picture of).  Lots of plain old scribbling as well.

It's important not to make them feel self conscious about their scribbling. So if you aren't sure of what she's drawn, ask her lots of questions about it. The scribbling stage is the most important stage of art development!

It's more important that she is enjoying what she's doing rather than doing something perfect. Let her express her creativity the way she wants to and discuss it with her.

#15 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

My 3 year old likes to obliterate any picture by scribbling over it in black crayon or texta.

My 5 year old is only just getting into colouring, she does pretty much the right colours but hasn't got much interest in staying in the lines. She prefers to draw rainbows in the background of whatever picture she's colouring.

#16 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

Mine both detested colouring in which meant that I got to do it instead. Have to own up to loving it - just something about putting the right colours in the right place and not going outside the lines.......... should I be worried?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.