Help with cold sores

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 -river-

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

I haven't been tested (getting swab taken tomorrow) but I've always had small sores pop up in the corner of my lip now and then. They never caused much drama and they are more like a mini pimple or just red rash, never a blister.

Now I gave birth 3 weeks ago and have only kissed my newborn once because EVERYTIME one of these things disappear I only get a couple days and another little red mark or pimple shows up on or near my lip. Now I've had it! I'm sick of it. I'm not stressed until one of these bloody things show up.

If you suffer from cold sores, how do you prevent them? I wouldn't mind the odd one but this is a joke.

#2 ~Catherine~

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Take a Llysine tablet everyday ... you can buy it at Woolworths and Coles with all the vitamins

#3 Smoo

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

lots of vitamin C can help (lysine is supposed to be better)

(sleep helps too, i tend to get them when i'm tired but I'm guessing you can't do a lot about that now)

#4 whydoibother

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

my daughter has been getting the same thing I must find out if I can give her lysine? Apaprently i have HSV type one (which is the coldsore virus) and 90% of people do have it)  But I have never had a coldsore! (touch wood)

I have just been using a coldsore cream on DD and it seems to help

#5 -river-

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Is lysine safe when breastfeeding?

How about zoverix cream when breastfeeding? I've read some say safe others say not safe.

#6 noi'mnot

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Blackmores lysine (I think it's called lyp-sine or something) is safe to take whilst breastfeeding.

#7 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

I get cold sores when I get sick. I used to also suffer from Impetigo quite badly when I was in primary school. When I get really sick the impetigo flares up on my nose and upper lip.
When I feel the tingle I ice it straight away and numb it for half an hour then I put zovirax on it and do it every 1-2 hours and it shoots it down very quickly.

I can't take lysine as it does nothing at all for me. Zovirax isn't being ingested so should be fine just before and after applying wash your hands thorougly.

Edited by YellowKittyGlenn, 09 November 2012 - 06:37 PM.

#8 whale-woman

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

I get what I think are atypical cold sores... They're however always across top and bottom lips and bilateral... It's usually like a rash and they don't breakdown or crust (unless I'm pg when I get them) It's a bit odd. I understand however that most people who get cold sores don't get the classical nasty looking cold sore.

I only ever get them when I've been sick with a bad cold and are run down. Usually they go in a few days. When pg they are worse and last longer.

For me getting enough rest when I'm sick seems to keep them at bay. I suspect the birth/hormones and dealing with a newborn are affecting you immune system and that's why you're copping them now. I'd try to get as much r+r as you can(bloody hard). Those cold sore creams can reduce the length of an episode. Your GP could check you for thyroid and iron levels just to check if you have a medical issue causing you to be run down other than post birth knackeredness.

I had an episode recently and did my best not to expose my toddler to it which was bloody hard. She hasn't come down with them and it's almost 2 weeks so we were lucky. It must be so hard not to kiss your newborn. bbighug.gif bbighug.gif

#9 Lrobin

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

I use lysine too and my GP said fine to use when BF (it's just an amino acid) and also give to my toddler, who unfortunately gets one every time he gets sick!    Trying to keep him off my six month old is a nightmare!
I also used the Compeed patches - they don't do much for healing but it made me feel like I was doing something to help stop flaking all over my baby.

#10 neddyteddy

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Lysine is helpful, some recommend to take a decent dose when you are getting a cold sore rather than take it all the time. If you do take it all the time be prepared when you stop you may have an outbreak.
I would also take zinc and vitamin C as your immunity is probably lowered after the birth of your baby. You can get a simple zinc tally test done at a nutritionist or naturopath.
I find Virasolve much better than Zovirax, unfortunately for me my coldsores love Zovirax!
Get to know your triggers, nuts, eggs and chocolate along with being run down/stressed are common ones sad.gif

#11 niknok

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

I've gotten them from childhood.

An ice-block on my lip when I feel the tingle sometimes wards them off, but after 20yrs of dealing with them the only thing I have used that I know will make it disappear in 3days is dabbing on perfume...I think it might be the alcohol in the perfume??

I only get them when I'm run down and tired and stressed.

#12 blackcat20

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

I use a combination of treatments, including Lysine tablets, Zovirax (or the Blistex version which is the same but a lot cheaper), tea tree oil, ice, and the anti viral tablets which are now available over the counter rather than with a script.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.