• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~Songbird~_*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 20 February 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#2 mokeydoke

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

We have a beautiful lop eared rabbit. She (well, actually a he laughing2.gif but I'm sure he/she doesn't mind- she was a girl for a few weeks before we discovered she was a boy) is very calm and gentle. The kids plop her on their laps like a cushion and just pat her while watching tv. It's very sweet to see!

We keep her inside, in a hutch, and let her outside in a converted climbing frame (climbing frame with chicken wire on the bottom levels) every day for a run/hop. Maybe she is still so gentle because she's inside and handled a lot?

#3 peking homunculus

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

We have 2 rescue rabbits. They have an outdoor hutch for the night time and they roam free in the backyard during the day.

They are not really cuddly, lap bunnies. But they do come up to you and say hello when you go outside and they like being patted

They are my first bunny experience. I have learnt a lot about rabbits from them. I had no idea rabbits were so curious- they explore every inch of the backyard and if something is in a different place they immediately want to know all about it. We used to keep them in a playpen during the day, but they are MUCH happier hopping around. Basically, rabbits like/need some freedom to explore and to exercise. I think you need to give them as much room as you can so they can hop around and be bunnies.

#4 MeHeNDa3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

We have a New Zealand. He is enormous, and not a fan of being cuddled. We had him desexed about this time last year (he was 6 months old) as he was lunging and biting. He still bites occasionally, usually my 6 year old's ankles while he's weeing mellow.gif He's an inside bunny who goes out the back to "play"

That said, I do love him and he is quite an amusing pet. I'm not sure if it's his breed or just him, but I wouldn't recommend him for kids who want a little rabbit to love on!

#5 JJ

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

We have a dwarf lop (don't be fooled by the dwarf bit - they can get quite big!) and she is fantastic, very loving, affectionate and patient... a real character. She lives in a hutch outside... undercover on the back porch at night/when the weather is bad, and on the grass in the backyard during the day. We also let her out for a run around the backyard regularly, or sometimes she comes to visit inside.

Like PP this is my first rabbit experience, but from what I understand it's not so much the type of rabbit but their individual nature and what they are used to (by nature a lot of rabbits are very jumpy and easily scared). We got ours from a family with children (although a bit older that mine) and lots of animals... they had her for a couple of years before she was given to us, so I'd say she was well and truly used to being handled and being around people and other animals, and had no trouble getting used to us.

Edited by JJ, 28 November 2012 - 11:52 AM.

#6 Flaxen

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

I have had rabbits for the most part of my childhood and teenage years.
Netherland dwarfs were my favorite as well as Dwarf Lops
I found male rabbits to be less likely to bite and scratch.
Get them from young (6-10weeks) and ensure correct gentle handling and they will grow to be lovely placid rabbits. Let them run around for a bit out of the hutch before trying to make them sit still, or just choose your times to handle them when they already look to be calm.
Or find a older gentle rabbit needing to be rehomed, as these scenarios often come up.

#7 peking homunculus

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Regular handling of your rabbit will help keep her/him friendly.

I give the bunnies the scraps from my cooking (carrot peels, zucchini tops etc) and give them a gentle pat while they are eating. They now come running out to see me and have a sniff of my foot everytime I go out the backyard.

They have also become more friendly since we stopped trying to pick them up. It scared them and so we all decided that they are not picking up animals. Since we have taken this more gentle approach they have learned to hop back into their hutch every night without much encouragement.

DD has a doll house on the back veranda. We had to put it up on a table because the bunnies kept going inside it and knocking over all the furniture and dolls!

#8 Allymeg69

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

We have had two rabbits in the past, the first was a female, variety uncertain but she was a right little so and so, very highly strung, inclined to bite, scratch etc, she was short haired and stiff-eared (as opposed to lop-eared). She was not a pleasant pet, and we let her go to a friend with a property where there was a large outdoor space and other rabbits.

The second rabbit we had was completely different, he was a dwarf lop-eared cashmere (coat length in between short and angora, so not as much brushing required), and he was the most beautiful friend, he behaved like a puppy, followed us around the house and garden, loved being handled and patted. We did get him when he was very small though, unlike number 1 rabbit, so he was raised being used to people, but I believe he had quite a different general temperament.

We used to house our rabbits in fairly large hutches in our garage. Rabbit two spent a fair bit of time out of his cage each day though, in the garage or in a moveable pen on the lawn.

#9 Feral_Pooks

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Do people who let bunnies roam have issues with neighborhood cats or no?

#10 Jjbeanz

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Also do the ones roaming around your yard try to dig a hole to get out?

#11 JJ

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (peking homunculus @ 28/11/2012, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They have also become more friendly since we stopped trying to pick them up. It scared them and so we all decided that they are not picking up animals. Since we have taken this more gentle approach they have learned to hop back into their hutch every night without much encouragement.

Yeah, I also try to keep the picking up to a minimum with ours. She is very placid and doesn't fight or struggle when we do, but I get the feeling that it does stress her out a bit. She doesn't mind sitting on someone's lap in a way that allows her to hop off when she's had enough, but I try not to do too much in-arms holding (even though she's very soft and cuddly and sometimes I'd love to hold her).

We've had the doll house situation too!  laughing2.gif

Edited by JJ, 28 November 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#12 Georgie01

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

We have three rabbits (all rehomed so we go them when they were around 1 year old) - a lop, a lop x and a dwarf netherland x. I've never had bunnies before but they are lovely pets, no noise, easy to care for and it's lovely to have them roaming the garden (they do surprisingly little damage to established gardens and we have mowed once in a year with them keeping the lawn down). You do have to watch their diets, they need to have plenty to chew on, but it's not hard - mine eat the fresh vegie scraps from cooking, oat hay and chaff and graze in the garden.

They have also become more friendly since we stopped trying to pick them up.

This is so true with ours. I only pick them up when necessary and they'll follow me around and climb on me if I sit down, they love being patted. One of the kids is taking longer to learn that they aren't keen to be picked up and they won't let her anywhere near them if they can help it.

Also do the ones roaming around your yard try to dig a hole to get out?

All you need to do is get some wire mesh and run it around the bottom of your fence and a foot or so along the ground inside the fence (I pin ours down with tent pegs). Ours go through digging phases, the girls much more so than the boy. They tend to dig beside a barrier though, so next to the fence/retaining walls etc. I haven't seen them start out in the open and try to burrow under the fence from a distance.

Do people who let bunnies roam have issues with neighborhood cats or no?

We have caught the neighbours' cat chasing one once, several months ago - but we don't often get cats in the yard and don't let the rabbits out into the yard unless we are around.

Ours live in a huge hutch and we have a pen attached so they can be let out for a quick run. They are easy to get back into the pen and hutch in the evening because they know that's when they get fed (I call, shake the food and they come running).

#13 Beltie

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

I used to have a male dwarf lop. I got him when he was 8 weeks and handled him a lot. He didn't like being carried around but loved being picked up to sit on a lap.

Initially he was a roaming outside bunny and he didn't dig at all. I heard somewhere that the males don't do the digging in a rabbit colony. He plumped up a lot once he was desexed (cost $60, he sometimes went to holiday camp with a girl Netherland dwarf) so I had to be careful with his diet. The pantry had to be kept closed because he could smell sultanas a mile off.

They are very social creatures so he quickly became an inside rabbit. He was toilet trained to a litter box in the laundry. He slept under my bed. He would run to the door when he heard a key in the lock then run backward and forward between me and the couch to encourage me to sit down so he could sit on my lap. He'd also groom me by licking with his little pink tongue. He had an accident and died at 8 years old.

Before him I had a female dwarf. She was nothing like the lop. She was a loner, hated being held and barely tolerated patting. She was happier being our moving garden ornament. She lived to 13 and turned into a grumpy old woman which was very funny. She terrified the magpies who dared land in the garden.

When you choose your rabbit it's the same as choosing any animal. You want the one that is friendly, happy to engage with you, not too skitish and not cowering in the corner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.