would you accept the tickets?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Studybug

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

HI

Story is drawn out, big fat apologies...  

I received a lovely generous offer of some movie tickets/dinner deal for DH and I plus DS being cared for whilst we're out.  Totally lovely offer that we're appreciative of.  The person who offered them: it was a gift from their partner, the tickets are to expire and they don't want to ask anyone to look after their kids in order to use them.

Anyway, DH finds out the tickets were actually a birthday gift, we think that's an awesome birthday gift, we'd feel more comfortable facilitating the couple using them rather than taking the tickets that this week, we can't afford to cover the costs of.  (Also, I very reguarly hear of how they never get to do anything as a couple, no one will look after their kids, what makes their kids so bad no one will look after them, everyone else has support but them.  FWIW, DH and I every few months offer to babysit for them at their house, whilst they go out, but they never take us up on it.)  
So we offer to look after their children in their house, at a matinee session if they prefer (and because of a long history of knowing how the mum is with others looking after the kids) so kids will have own toys/beds for naps, can stick to own schedule, we're more flexible with only one child who we don't care if he happens to skip a nap whilst we're at their place, etc etc.

This offer is met with exasperation, and for the second time this week, the gift giver hangs up on me after getting snarky in the conversation.  

Basically, I don't want to accept the tickets due to not wanting to feel as if we owe them anything, and also feeling like/knowing the tickets will come with unintended/unwanted consequences. This person is quite self-focussed and negative, and tends to play the martyr at times.  I suspect she doesn't respect me as she tends to do things like hang up on me, and/or react quite negatively if I calmly disagree or be assertive (she's known for being domineering).  As she's family I've allowed a certain amt of it to go on to keep the peace, but for the past 6-12mths, I've reduced contact with her somewhat, and taken other steps to buffer the negativity I get from her.  Ahh, peace.

Anyway, they've gone and transferred the tickets into our names, called me and angrily said "it's done, just take the tickets" and hung up on me, again.  The tickets have to be used either tonight or tomorrow. They're not looking after DS as we've since arranged for my mum to do so as she happens to be visiting.  So now, we're in a position where if we call and say "actually, thanks but no thanks" then there will be a sh*t storm of why are we being so difficult/ungrateful, we've left it to the last minute to tell them and she'll basically be passive-aggressive for weeks, which for me, overrides the genorosity of the offer.  Or we say "thank you" (which would be genuine) and go, I'll feel uncomfortable about accepting the tickets plus feel that I've enabled her to be rude and dismissive of me, even though the original offer was received with thanks and graciousness.

So, if you're actually still with me:
What do you think?  Go or No?

Cheers.

#2 CountryFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Go.

Sounds like she'll be huffy either way and this way you get to go out!

#3 Baggy

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

You have a babysitter. Just go enjoy yourself and say thank you.

Try not to think too much into it.

#4 50ftqueenie

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Go and enjoy yourself. If they can't bring themselves to leave their children for a few hours that is their issue.  Next time you see them bring cake or a bottle of wine to say thanks.

#5 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

If she didn't have young kids I'd swear you were referring to my step mum.

You should go and have fun, sounds like she'll be difficult no matter what.

#6 starfire

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Weird response on their part huh.gif

I'd just go and enjoy yourselves and not worry about feeling guilty.

You made the effort to allow them the opportunity to use their own tickets as originally intended, they said no and insisted on you using the tickets, then just go with it. Don't read too much into it.

I liked the suggestion one PP said to buy a bottle of wine or some cake as a thank you next time you see them but leave it at that. They have made their intentions very clear.

#7 kez71

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

yes, go and enjoy yourselves. Maybe get her a bunch of flowers as a thankyou!

#8 JuliaGulia

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Go and enjoy yourself.  Sounds like she'll be a PITA anyway, so you might as well have a good time.

ETA: And next time she complains about no-one babysitting for her, remind her that you have offered many times and been turned down.

Edited by JuliaGulia, 09 November 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#9 jennywin

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

You could outdo her in passive-aggressive stakes buy taking the tickets very gratefully, and not using them!! Ka-pow!

#10 ReadySetRace

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Just go....don't think about it anymore.

I'd be exasperated to if you tried to give back a gift....don't you think she thought of asking for a babysitter for herself first? For whatever reason she's not going and doesn't want the tickets to go to waste.

Enjoy your night out - wish it was me original.gif

#11 kboomba

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Do her children take well to babysitters? Are they ill? Is there behind the scenes problems in the relationship, and they don't feel like going? So many things could be happening that you don't know about, so she could be completely over it all?
If you can go just go. And as a PP said, next time she complains remind her that you can babysit for her whenever she wants, and have offered lots.

I have a friend who is similar (except for the hanging up bit!). Her kids freak out when she is not there. Last time I babysat I had to call her home after about an hour (and I've known them since they were born and spend heaps of time with them). They never go out, she feels like she can't leave the kids, she feels alone as she has no reliable family around. It's really hard for her.

Just another perspective  original.gif

#12 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Go. Enjoy. You've tried to return the favour, they've said no - leave it at that. You'll get more flak for NOT using them.

#13 Ice Queen

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Take them and enjoy yourself.  

FWIW I think you just have to respect people's decision not to use babysitters.  I have a friend like this who whinges how bad her life has been since kids but she will never accept babysitting.  i offered on Melbourne Cup day, was turned down, I didnt push it and then she was whinging on FB that she 'was stuck at home'.   You cant help people like that and some people dont want to be helped.  I dont think you should have re-offered the baby-sitting if you knew they dont ever use babysitters.  I know it is hard, you want to help but it is their choice.  I have learnt with my friend to 'support' the moaning but I cant fix it or help her.  Some people wont trust others with their kids and that is their choice.  We cant judge or try and change them.  As for her not respecting you, well I wouldnt think too much into it.  She is miserable, you are happy.  

You sound like a great friend and you can look after my kids anytime while I go to the movies  biggrin.gif .

Have a great night.

Edited by Ehill, 09 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#14 PurpleNess

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

GO & enjoy yourself. Whatever her reason is for not wanting to go you may never know & it's not your problem ( you offered, they declined your babysitting).

So just go & send a thank you card/flowers if you like...but I wouldn't bother.....

have fun!

#15 Awesome101

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Take them and go, buy her a bottle of wine as a thank you and then you don't owe her anything further.

#16 Anemonefish

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Definitely go and enjoy the evening without guilt. You have tried and she has declined your kind offer, and it sounds like she'll be annoyed if you don't go, so just do it. I agree with the idea of giving her wine/chocolate/flowers to say thanks.

#17 Phascogale

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

Just take the tickets and have a good time.  You already have a baby sitter.  It's not as though you have to ask them.

I'm not quite sure why you kept up for so long with trying to get them to take the tickets back and use them when they wanted you to have them in the first place.  I'd have offered once or twice and when they said no to just plan to use them yourself.

Why you do you feel that you'll have to owe them?  If they are going to come with conditions then don't use them.

#18 FeralZombieMum

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Studybug @ 09/11/2012, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The person who offered them: it was a gift from their partner, the tickets are to expire and they don't want to ask anyone to look after their kids in order to use them.

Perhaps it's the gift coming from her partner that's the real issue?

Maybe she didn't appreciate the gift?
Maybe her partner had suggested it and she said she didn't want to go, but he ignored her and bought the tickets anyway?
Maybe they couldn't afford the tickets and is angry her DP wasted money? Perhaps he has done this a few times in the past, and if she used the tickets, it would be sending the wrong message to him?

Anyway, go have a great time and yes, get her a bottle of wine or something to say thank you.

#19 Studybug

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Thank you for the replies! Guess we'll be going wink.gif .

Just to respond to a couple of good points:

Ehill, I agree with needing to respect others' decisions about babysitters.  It's not that they never use babysitters, myself, her mum and her sisters and the grandparents on the other side have babysat before.  I do struggle with it when every few months, I get a phone call that's either angry and shouty or her in tears that no one will offer to look after her children and she just needs a break.  I know her mum doesn't offer to look after the kids, and that's hard for her, and I know that's who she wants to offer the babysitting, not us.  We've had many conversations, covering alot of angles about the babysitting, and her mum.  I guess I try to come from the point of "I know this is not the offer you wish for, but if you need it/want, we'd love to have them/we'll come over while you go out for coffee etc".  Just last weekend, we were meant to look after her daughter, but they changed their minds at the last minute and didn't tell us. But yes, I think you make a good point of shouldn't have offered again.

kboomba, thanks for the other perspective. original.gif  That would be a difficult situation for your friend.  I think it's a little different to this friend, but the similarity between them would be in feeling like there is no one to rely on and take the pressure off.

Phascogale, sorry I think I've confused you with my rambling.  I offered casually to look after the kids so they could go (as in are you sure you don't want to use the tickets? when they were originally offered) and then upon finding out re it's a bday gift and her telling me about their last outing which was disappointing, so I offered as per my OP.

ZombieMum, they're really good points.  Maybe the stress of organising babysitters outweighed the fun of going..

I generally try to be pretty empathetic to her and not take the aggression on board, but I think the couple of occasions of snarkiness and the hang ups (for completed unrelated matters) sucked up my tolerance.

DH is pretty keen to go, and suggested we pay them back somehow and just enjoy it.  So, I'm going to do as mentioned: stop overthinking it, appreciate it and have a good time.

Cheers everyone!

Edited by Studybug, 09 November 2012 - 04:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.