What is your wardrobe like?
Set outfits or mixed up?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 mandarins

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

I have noticed some people always wear different clothes and others wear much the same few things week in week out.

I started to wonder if some people buy clothing seasonally together so they have 'outfits' ? I just buy things I like and wear quite a lot of different things.

What do you do? Do you buy your kids clothes the same or just dress them in whats in the sales or hand me downs and so on.

I guess I am thinking about how over full my wardrobe is... and I have read about stylists recommending 'clothing capsules'.

Any thoughts?

#2 mandarins

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

***BUMP**  biggrin.gif

#3 rabbit hyde

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I will buy clothes that work with my wardrobe.  I have a certain colour palette and style that I'm comfortable with and tend to work with that.

I used to just buy anything that looked nice, but would often get frustrated if I felt that I didn't have anything that would work with it the avalache of clothes in my wardrobe just felt like clutter and waste.

So usually when I go clothes shopping and find an item I like, I try to think about what it will work with in my wardrobe and how many items it would be compatible with.

If you're fairly set in your style - the clothing capsule idea works.  However I could see it being difficult if you're still determining what you like or are quite versatile.

#4 Propaganda

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

I mostly wear dresses, so I just make sure I have shoes and accessories and cardigans that match those.

I do have a few seperates though, and I usually buy them as an outfit. Often though, the bottoms are easily mixed with the various tops.

#5 Feral timtam

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

At the moment mine is pretty basic, I don't hang onto clothing that doesn't currently fit so my wardrobe is very small at the moment. I'm currently one of those people wearing the same few things week in week out.

My weight and measurements look like they're hitting a steady level so I'm starting to look at investing some nicer pieces. A few more decent quality tops is first item on the agenda, I've been wearing Kmart cheapies to tide me over until my weight stops fluctuating.

For my kids I buy a capsule wardrobe in each size at the end of season sales then I buy fashion pieces that take our fancy when they hit that size.

#6 BadCat

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I wear the same thing all the time.  I find something I like enough to buy and I buy 4 of them.  I don't do fashion at all, ever, so I can wear them until they wear out.

#7 sammyv

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

I try to mix it up but have favourites that I wear together alot.

Like pp I have a palette that I basically stick to but if I buy something not in the palette I make sure I have something to wear it with.

#8 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

I almost always wear dresses.  I am not very good at matching separates, other than mixing pencil skirts with polka dot pussy bow blouses  unsure.gif

In summer it is dresses and sandals, in winter dresses, fishnets, cardigans and mary-janes.  Quite boring, when I think about it!

I turn my wardrobe over a lot, but that is mostly for space sake and it is just replacing old dresses with new dresses.

#9 EssentialBludger

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

I never buy clothes. I have a few pairs of shorts and tshirts for summer, a couple of dresses, two pairs of jeans and a couple of jumpers for winter. Had them all for years. Couldn't tell you the last time I bought clothes. ph34r.gif

I'm just not much of a fashion type person... I also NEVER wear makeup. laughing2.gif

ETA: I'm not a shoe person either. Tounge1.gif Two pairs of thongs for summer, and a pair of chucks for winter is all I own! (and a pair knee high boots, which hurt my feet after about 30 seconds in them, so never worn).

Edited by EssentialBludger, 09 November 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#10 RedBob

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

I tend to buy multiples of good basics, like T-shirts, trousers and jeans. Also if I find a comfy pair of shoes, that come in different colours, I'll buy more than one pair of them.

Then I'll buy things that are a bit more funky that will go well with the abovementioned t-shirt, trousers and jeans, think skirts, multicoloured t-shirts, jackets, scarves, that kind of thing.

One thing I have noticed in life is that most people don't really notice what you wear everyday unless you look really fantastic or really terrible.

#11 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I only buy stuff when I need it. I tend to buy a whole 'range' for my kids (I love american websites for this!) because then they can mix and match most of their stuff and it still doesn't look totally hideous.

I hate clothes shopping for myself and am not at all interested in fashion. I wear button down shirts and jeans most of the time, or button down shirts with shorts in summer. I always have a quiet chuckle at the people who slavishly dash out and buy the latest seasons clothes just because they're 'in'. I've got better stuff to do with my money and couldn't really GAF what the magazines say I should spend it on.

Edited by CaptainOblivious, 09 November 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#12 Jenferal

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

I tend to live in jeans in winter so buy basic tops, and denim skirt or 3/4 pants in summer so...basic tops.
I wish I could find dresses I liked and which fit me, short and round doesn't make for easy dress buying sadly sad.gif

Edited by Jenflea, 09 November 2012 - 05:30 PM.

#13 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (CaptainOblivious @ 09/11/2012, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only buy stuff when I need it. I tend to buy a whole 'range' for my kids (I love american websites for this!) because then they can mix and match most of their stuff and it still doesn't look totally hideous.

I hate clothes shopping for myself and am not at all interested in fashion. I wear button down shirts and jeans most of the time, or button down shirts with shorts in summer. I always have a quiet chuckle at the people who slavishly dash out and buy the latest seasons clothes just because they're 'in'. I've got better stuff to do with my money and couldn't really GAF what the magazines say I should spend it on.

I get your point, but some of us just really like clothes and that doesn't actually make us evil  wink.gif

#14 vanessa71

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

I love clothes.

I have about 70 dresses, lots of skirts, shirts and nice tops and a few pairs of good pants. I like having the choice to wear something different all the time and not have some sort of 'uniform'. I am very good at getting things on sale, I never pay full price for anything. I also don't buy for the sake of it being in 'fashion'. I am not interested in the latest trends I am interested in pieces that will last. I like that fact that I can wear something I bought over 10 years ago and still get compliments on it.

#15 Bel Rowley

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I occasionally buy outfits, more often buy individual items because I like them and worry about what they will go with later. I like having new clothes, not necessarily because they are in fashion. I am slowly figuring out what my own style is. And I spend way too much time talking to Maybelle and Vanessa71 who are very bad influences when it comes to shopping Tounge1.gif. I'll admit I often buy on impulse and end up with things I don't get a lot of wear out of.

#16 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

I've got a fairly small wardrobe of predominately mix and match stuff, usually slightly more expensive and good quality rather than quantity.

If I like a pair of shorts, for example, I'll go out and buy them in a few colours, and get a few matching toned shirts.

And stripes.  Loads of stripes.

I typically get one or two 'fashion' things for the season - this year it's mainly coloured denim which I'm loving.

#17 Propaganda

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

I don't buy for the fashions. I am finding current fashions quite unflattering to my body shape, so I struggle to find items that suit me.

You can like dressing nicely without buying something just because it's in a fashion magazine. My personal style is about what I like, and what suits my body shape and personality. I do occasionally find myself excited over seasonal colours, but that's only because it's difficult to find colours you love when you're not following fashion trends.

#18 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (vanessa71 @ 09/11/2012, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love clothes.

I have about 70 dresses, lots of skirts, shirts and nice tops and a few pairs of good pants. I like having the choice to wear something different all the time and not have some sort of 'uniform'. I am very good at getting things on sale, I never pay full price for anything. I also don't buy for the sake of it being in 'fashion'. I am not interested in the latest trends I am interested in pieces that will last. I like that fact that I can wear something I bought over 10 years ago and still get compliments on it.

Trust Vanessa about getting things on sale!  I fell in love with a bag from Witchery last year, and Vanessa encouraged me to wait until it was on sale, as it was hideously expensive at ~$300!  I couldn't wait though and slapped it on my Visa, only to see it at over half off less than a month later cry1.gif It just got cheaper and cheaper, argh!  I use it a lot, and it is probably worth the price in terms of quality and cost per use, but it kills me that I didn't listen to her!

I also wanted to add that you can love clothes and enjoy fashion without being slavish.  I like a certain style (50s and early 60s vintage style looks) and I know what suits me.  I love looking at magazines, but I don't change the way I dress to follow fashions.  By the same token, I wouldn't avoid buying something that was in fashion if I liked it, just to feel like I was above it all.

I am interested in fashion as a social history too, particularly when it comes to women.  Fashion overall is a very interesting way of tracing womens' roles and social changes...a great example is the move from practical 40s styles when women were working in factories to help with the war effort, to the move to the restrictive styles of the New Look as women were expected to leave their jobs to the returning soldiers.

#19 credence

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

I don't buy outfits, but I have a colour palette that I love and rarely deviate from. It kind of means everything goes with everything.

I'm also a big fan of dresses for the simple fact that I don't have to match it with anything else.

#20 mandarins

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (Maybelle @ 09/11/2012, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trust Vanessa about getting things on sale!  I fell in love with a bag from Witchery last year, and Vanessa encouraged me to wait until it was on sale, as it was hideously expensive at ~$300!  I couldn't wait though and slapped it on my Visa, only to see it at over half off less than a month later cry1.gif It just got cheaper and cheaper, argh!  I use it a lot, and it is probably worth the price in terms of quality and cost per use, but it kills me that I didn't listen to her!

I also wanted to add that you can love clothes and enjoy fashion without being slavish.  I like a certain style (50s and early 60s vintage style looks) and I know what suits me.  I love looking at magazines, but I don't change the way I dress to follow fashions.  By the same token, I wouldn't avoid buying something that was in fashion if I liked it, just to feel like I was above it all.

I am interested in fashion as a social history too, particularly when it comes to women.  Fashion overall is a very interesting way of tracing womens' roles and social changes...a great example is the move from practical 40s styles when women were working in factories to help with the war effort, to the move to the restrictive styles of the New Look as women were expected to leave their jobs to the returning soldiers.

The, erm, $300 bag. If I loved it I might have bought it too, being worried that it would not still be in stock if I waited till sales. I guess to keep an eye on things in the stores going on sale you need to visit shops often or frequently check the websites? How does one go about never paying full price??

Edited by mandarins, 10 November 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#21 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

I love clothes but don't have the body for them anymore.

Before DS I only ever wore gorgeous dresses from Review, Alannah Hill, and other places. Now though I am too fat and because I'm breastfeeding stick to awful jeans and singlets.

This pregnancy I'm going to treat myself to proper maternity and nursing dresses so I can have some nice beautiful dresses to wear after this baby is born.

Sick of looking like a frump.

#22 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (mandarins @ 09/11/2012, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I adore textiles and history too, so I know where you are coming from. I think in my case this is why my wardrobe is so eclectic. But saying that I feel my style is changing, and so I have a lot of different things as I try and find out who I am now, plus hold onto things I love even if they do not get worn often. Also my weight fluctuates so I have a few things I hold to for when I fit them.

As for the, erm, $300 bag. If I loved it I might have bought it too, being worried that it would not still be in stock if I waited till sales. I guess to keep an eye on things in the stores going on sale you need to visit shops often or frequently check the websites? How does one go about never paying full price??

I don't know...she is brilliant at it.  My Mum is a bargain queen too...I would love to have the nerve, but I fall in love with things and can't bear the thought of missing out.

Sunny, your self imagine is very far from how I see you!  You are lovely.  But if you are ever clearing out those Review and Alannah Hill dresses, you know who to call  wink.gif

#23 Kalota

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

My wardrobe is definitely a mix of all different clothing items! Like you, I just buy things that I like and then wear them with other items that look good with them! While I don't have set outfits per se, there are some items of clothes that I think look nice with other specific items so they will be often seen together original.gif

But my wardrobe is definitely a vast array of random bits and mixes!

#24 whale-woman

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

I have a ton of clothes. I buy what suits my style so some seasons it's lots, others nothing. If I buy something that's very seAsonal (in fashion now and likely very out next year/season) I won't spend much. On classics I will buy expensive stuff. I used to shop mostly overseas as designers are much cheaper there especially in the sales. I have a bunch of lovely Burberry/Prada/missoni classics that look great, bought when i lived in Europe. I have been able to wear them for years and usually bought them for 70%+ off. Usually i only buy something if I have a clear idea what I'll wear it with and in what situations.

Dd gets clothes bought only on sale. If I see something I like for her I get it and put it away till it fits her ( in the next few years). DD2 will be a handmedown wearer at least till she gets old enough to object to this. I don't buy posh kids stuff. I don't really do kiddy outfits.

I love clothes. They make me happy. I shop a LOT as I love looking for lovely stuff cheap. I also have a tailor adjust stuff so it fits right.

Edited by whale-woman, 09 November 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#25 loubee

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

I have a colour palette; Black  biggrin.gif . Despite being a Perthling at present I can't shake my Melburnian tendencies. I resist but whenever I do it normally ends up sitting in the wardrobe, I have extended it to grey in recent years and even added a little orange. I wear scarves summer and winter so add colour here.

My running wardrobe is a whole different ball game, marathon tee of choice orange and now a new lime one for the summer running season, hot pink and black running skirts. Fluro pink nike frees for the gym and some other great colors for running shoes. My world would be sepia without running  tongue.gif

Edited by loubee, 09 November 2012 - 11:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.