Kids' bedroom lights
on or off?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 BetteBoop

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

Settle an argument between my DH and I.

He has an fixation on getting our 5yo DD to stop sleeping with a nightlight on in her room.

He read some stupid article about how kids with emotional problems are frightened of the dark, and now he thinks we should be encouraging her to sleep in the dark.

I think it's developmentally normal for young kids to be scared of the dark and she will have the light off when she's ready.

So, what do your kids do at night. Lights on or off?

#2 leosmum

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Nightlights. And sometimes my 4 year old even falls asleep with his lamp on - the horror!! I'm on your side, OP.

#3 Busydays

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

Mine would never go to sleep if a light was on! We don't leave any lights on overnight, but we live in the city so outside is always an orange glow and never very dark.

#4 bakesgirls

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'm a lights off person. My kids have been fine with it so far, they haven't really known any different.

#5 Gegemite

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

My kids have a night light/string lights on as they fall asleep,  I turn them off when I go to bed.  They're fine if they wake up in the dark though.

#6 Kat5

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

No lights. Our kids have never slept with night-lights or lights on so that's all they really know.

They have reading lamps that they keep on until they're done reading or we tuck them in for the night.

I think at the age of 5 their imagination really takes off and it could become very easy to become scared of the dark/monsters/strangers/robbers etc. I dont think keeping a light on is going to harm their emotional/psychological well-being original.gif. I would be more inclined to keep it as an external hall light or something though, so they dont feel dependant on it, if that makes sense original.gif.

#7 JJ

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

My kids both like the light off, but if they wanted a nightlight I would happily provide one, or leave the light on if necessary.

I agree that being scared of the dark is a stage many kids go through. I remember it well from when I was little.

#8 Cheryl_v

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

My 13 year old can sleep with his light off but usually has his bedside lamp on all night.  My girls won't sleep with their door shut so they get ambient light from the hallway.  My 12 year old does sleep with the light off and the door shut but always turns the toilet light on as that room is just outside his bedroom.  Personally I like it to be darker than dark when I go to sleep, I went through a stage of sleeping with an eyemask on when I lived in one house with a streetlight right outside my bedroom.  It's obviously very personal and changes over time.

#9 Team Awesome

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

My kids aged 8.5, almost 7, 5 and 2 all currently have a night light (it's from kmart looks like a mini lamp and even has an on /off switch) and I get more sleep for it.

Without them I'd get interrupted multiple times a night by each of them, they'd take ages to go to sleep and DD3 was coming in to sleep in with me. So light on house here. I also give their chosen bed toy of the night a big hug and "fill it with love" when I say good night, don't know if it's placebo effect as I introduced this idea the same week as we put the night lights back in but so far so good. Now to just retrain my body that it can get sleep so it should wink.gif

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

We leave the bathroom light on.  This way, if someone gets up to go to the loo, I don't have to get up as well.

R

#11 BetteBoop

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (JJ @ 08/11/2012, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember it well from when I was little.

Me too. I slept with a nightlight on until I was proably 10.

And I've turned out 100% normal*

*number may have been rounded up, seasonally adjusted or completely fabricated

#12 *LucyE*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

He read some stupid article about how kids with emotional problems are frightened of the dark, and now he thinks we should be encouraging her to sleep in the dark.

Is the fear of darkness the cause or result of the emotional problems?

My 8 yr old has a fear of the dark.  I prefer to nurture DS and trust that if he feels safe and loved, he will overcome his fear of the dark himself.  Forcing him before he is ready, will probably cause more harm than good.

So, to answer your question - lights on dim and I switch them off when we go to sleep.  The hallway light is left on dim all night for ambient light and also in case anyone needs to go to the toilet during.

#13 BetteBoop

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (*LucyE* @ 08/11/2012, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the fear of darkness the cause or result of the emotional problems?

Fears like a fear of dark can be symptoms of anxiety disorders. Obvious right?

But even if she is anxious, we won't fix the anxiety by confronting one specific fear.

#14 yellowtulips74

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

DD1 as a toddler liked the light on and the door open.  DD2 liked the light off and the door closed.  We ended up turning the dining room into a second kids bedroom for a while there, because our plan to have them share a room didn't work out!

Now they share a room and DD1 prefers it darker, DD2 prefers more light!!  I leave a dim hall light on at night, as a compromise.

I'm really afraid of the dark.  My imagination runs wild.  When my girls are at their dad's place I still keep that hall light on...

#15 s'peachykeen

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

Your DH is confusing correlation with causation. Nightlights + fear of the dark + "emotional problems" may well regularly turn up together in kids, but that doesn't mean the nightlights cause the problems. Props to him for wanting to raise emotionally healthy kids, but if it was as simple as putting them in a dark bedroom, I think the psychology industry would have been wound up a long time ago... wink.gif

Edited by s'peachykeen, 09 November 2012 - 04:28 AM.

#16 ~ky~

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

My daughter had huge insomnia issues a couple of years back and we wracked our brains trying to find a cause. I took her to the doctor, she spoke to a psych etc and all came back healthy, well balanced, happy child - just extremely tired.

We turned off her night light and suddenly she was sleeping again. Ever since, we have just left the toilet light on (needs to be on for DS anyway) and opened her door just a crack so that her room isn't pitch black.

I don't like nightlights mainly because the light the produce makes it all too tempting to play/read/muck around when the child should be sleeping.

i don't think sleeping in the dark or sleeping with a light on causes fear issues - I think that stories, vivid imaginations and tv programs/books/movies are more likely to be the root cause.

#17 ~ky~

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

My DS has to have absolutely no light at all or he is out of bed and playing. He also has to have a room devoid of anything that could distract him so he just has his set of bunks in there and nothing else. Like your DS, he has aspergers but he has an overwhelming compulsion to play with something if he has seen it and will keep getting up and doing so unless it is removed. The night we got the ipad he got out of bed every 15 minutes or so and tried to come downstairs and play with it - neither of us got any sleep that night at all.

DD likes a little light but is happy with just enough to reassure her so just cracking her door is enough. She too will read all night if she has any more light than that.

Our youngest sleeps best with no light yet happily goes down for her day naps in a light room.

#18 LookMumNoHands

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

We started out with no lights, but it wasn't for any reason other than the usual turning off all lights when we go to bed to save electricity reason.

As the boys night toilet trained, we started leaving the hallway light on, to save poor stubbed toes and wee on the toilet floor.

6yo DS sleeps with his door shut, so only the little light framing his door shows through.

5yo DS sleeps with his door wide open (heaven forbid we close it even a fraction!).

I just do whatever makes them feel safe and secure  original.gif

#19 spannah

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

DD1 started wanting a nightlight about 6mths ago. I couldn't find one that was suitable so we compromised. She has a lovely galaxy of glow-in-the-dark stars and planets above her. They start quite bright but by very early morning have dimmed quite a lot. Perfect. Makes her happy. Makes me happy.

#20 Duck-o-lah

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 09/11/2012, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It depends on the light. DS has an Ikea ghost lamp. The light isn't bright enough to read or play by, but is bright enough for him to find his drink bottle without knocking it over or to calm his nerves if he wakes from a nightmare in a panic.

Same here. DS (3) has a very dim nightlight that is just bright enough to help him find his comfort toys if he loses them in bed, or help him find his way from his bed to mine in the wee hours. He goes to sleep with the hallway light on, he wouldn't sleep if he had a lamp on in his room.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a light, I needed a hallway light on through the night until I was about 11 and I grew out of it.

#21 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

My kids have never ever slept with a light on in their rooms. How can anyone sleep like that? We also have roller shutters so pretty dark. They sleep with their doors slightly ajar.

#22 kpingitquiet

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

Ours sleeps with a light on a timer. It's on during storytime and shuts off on it's own at around 10pm. She seems to be fine with it and I don't have an issue. She sleeps with her door closed so our dogs won't bug her, so I think it's nice she has something in there to make it seem like less of a dungeon original.gif

#23 ~shannon~

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

It's lights off in our house, but we leave the door ajar so that there is some light going into the room and then by the time we go to bed they are already asleep. If it was pitch black they wouldn't like it.
When they wake in the night, they seem okay with it. DD6 finds her way to the toilet okay, and DD2 just calls out for me.

#24 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

You're DH is being mean. She can't help it if she's frightened or needs some reassurance. She'll grow out of it in her own time. I used to have my door slightly open just so I could have a tiny bit of light and the reassurance of hearing people talking in the loungeroom right up to highschool. As far as I can tell, I haven't turned into someone who has major emotional problems. wink.gif

Personally, I like the tiny nightlight in my kids' room because I can sneak in during the night and tuck them in and give them a kiss without tripping over anything.

#25 Cat People

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

ds has only recently requested a night light and the door left open (he's 5) which I expect is normal for the age.  Before that it was very dark and door closed.

I have an irrational fear of leaving the door open but he has one about having it closed.  So I guess we're even.  I'm still scared of the dark too - well not the dark, but what's in the dark that I can't see.  I don't think I have "emotional problems" any more than the average person.  What the hell are "emotional problems" any way?  Sounds like a crock to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.