When will you tell work?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 leJadie

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Just wondering when everyone (who currently works) will tell their work they are pregnant? I am 10w1d and the 12 week mark is coming up. Not sure I really want to tell work yet but my aversion to alcohol is starting to raise eyebrows now. Specially after our Melbourne Cup lunch where I just had softdrink because I "had to drive!" lol

Edited by leJadie, 08 November 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#2 ellik

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Lols.. yes im having the same problem with lack of alcohol consumption. I wanted to wait until  until about 16 weeks or more if i can before telling work given my m/c history. Ive aleady had to ditch the group costume for xmas party cause its tight and probably wont fit and even if it does will be a dead give away! ... Like the alcohol abstinance wont wink.gif

#3 karlie.jane

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

I am nearly 7 weeks and I have already told my work. As it is very hard to find people to cover me for my shifts. They didn't mind at all I have had both my daughters while working at the same place. My boss just joked and said how many did I intend on having and am I going to have the Brady bunch. They couldn't be happier for me original.gif I hope that everyone else gets the same reaction original.gif

#4 leJadie

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

I think part of the reason I don't want to tell them is because I am not expecting a good result. I have only been there since April this year, they probably won't be too pleased :S

#5 Nervy

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

With my DS i didnt tell my work (which is now my old job) until I was 18 weeks. I was hoping to do the same this time but we are very skeleton staff in my new job so i think it would be fair to tell them a bit earlier, maybe 14 weeks? Firstly i want to know everything is going ok with bub. My OB advised to wait to 13 weeks.

#6 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

My work have known since 5/6 weeks as I've been too sick to work and I didn't think it was fair to my clients to be left without a worker for who knew how long.

#7 WanderingMind

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

I told my work when I was 10 weeks.  That was the last day both my supervisor and I would both be at the office until after the new year.  I didn't want to tell that early, but I was worried I would be showing once we got back from overseas.  (I plan on eating a lot and I'll be 16 weeks then.)  

I'm in a tough spot because I just started working there at the end of September (oops!).  I think I seriously got pregnant like the weekend before I started!  Plus I'm casual and they have planned to convert it to a permanent position starting at the first of the year.  I figured it was better to tell them sooner rather than later and hopefully be able to negotiate some paid maternity leave.  (It will be the only "help" we can get since we are just temporary residents and don't qualify for any other benefits.)  They were actually really excited, but just my supervisor and her boss know so far.  Luckily I'm not really showing yet, but having to avoid certain things like alcohol is getting hard!

#8 Clare L

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'm planning to tell them in January, so I'll be about 17 weeks by then. I only need to give 10 weeks notice before taking maternity leave, but I'm in a senior position, so I need to make sure they have plenty of time to work out how they're going to cover my role.

Clare
xx

#9 Nervy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

I was going to tell work at 14 weeks, as per my previous post, but im 14 weeks now and still havent, i've decided to wait until January, so 18 weeks!

#10 Tammoi01

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (WanderingMind @ 03/12/2012, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I told my work when I was 10 weeks.  That was the last day both my supervisor and I would both be at the office until after the new year.  I didn't want to tell that early, but I was worried I would be showing once we got back from overseas.  (I plan on eating a lot and I'll be 16 weeks then.)  

I'm in a tough spot because I just started working there at the end of September (oops!).  I think I seriously got pregnant like the weekend before I started!  Plus I'm casual and they have planned to convert it to a permanent position starting at the first of the year.  I figured it was better to tell them sooner rather than later and hopefully be able to negotiate some paid maternity leave.  (It will be the only "help" we can get since we are just temporary residents and don't qualify for any other benefits.)  They were actually really excited, but just my supervisor and her boss know so far.  Luckily I'm not really showing yet, but having to avoid certain things like alcohol is getting hard!

I'm in the same situation as you WanderingMind. I started my job mid September. Then the day I started work my BIL passed away. They were fantastic about me needing time off then. Now after Christmas I'll be telling them this news, right before I walk out the door for 4 weeks for mine and DPs already cancelled once holiday o/s.
So yes, you could say i'm a little bit nervous about telling them to be honest. I just hope they're excited for me and my partner.

#11 jmaz86

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

I told my job early on because it was physically demanding. Having said that I am now on unpaid leave while they try to find me a suitable position...which they are doing everything they can to not...I have really no leg to stand on as I am casual and my Dr has advised me no heavy lifting or strenuous activity following a bleed early on.
Prior to finding out I was pg I applied for a whole heap of other jobs, I have since had 2 phone interviews  for two other positions...one of which I am fairly confident that I will get the interview for and possibly the job...hence i now have the problem i need to work...but i know they wont employ me if they find out I am pg...

#12 kahm

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

*cough* just re-read most of this and, yes, I am a little dirty with my workplace.  Just a little bit bitter.

I was on secondment in a really demanding job when I got pg, so I told them as soon as I knew.  Seriously, more than about 3 minutes per loo trip got noticed.  
I'm back at my regular job now (seriously, it feels like amateur hour after the buzz of the last one) and I haven't told anyone yet.  
I'm not quite 12 weeks yet, so I still have the excuse that I'm not sure everything's ok yet but I've had such a rough time coming back to this job that I almost don't want to 'reward' them with really personal information.
If they can't be bothered to clear out a desk for me (too busy, they say.  Too lazy more like - if you can leave work at 4.30, you're not too damn busy), and they don't notice if people take 90 minute lunch breaks, then why do they need to know right this minute?  
I've got one (lovely) colleague who's 'busted' me and she's keeping it under her hat for now.  I'm not sure if I'll get through the drinking season without an explanation but at the moment, it's none of their business.

I'm thinking the new year.

#13 Satay Chicken

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

I wanted to wait until around 18 weeks but my colleague logged onto my PC and saw something that gave away I was pregnant, she was then kind enough to spread it around the office for me... Furious much!

#14 leJadie

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (Satay chicken @ 03/12/2012, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wanted to wait until around 18 weeks but my colleague logged onto my PC and saw something that gave away I was pregnant, she was then kind enough to spread it around the office for me... Furious much!

Whhhat! I would be so angry. Some women can be such cows.

Well I told my work last week, first up told the admin manager and she was all excited. So she told the directors (I was worried about their reaction) but they were both really excited and then it was put in the monthly newsletter so now most people that read the newsletter know. Everyone has been great about it so I was worried about nothing really.

Glad I don't have to keep it a secrete between me and my workmate that knew anymore!

#15 TheGub

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

I've told my boss and the HR manager and a few friends. A few more also know (as a result of the boobs and the lack of alcohol or going to social functions).  I figure I'll otherwise make it common knowledge in the new year.

My boss was a bit surprised (it's very left field for me to be in this position) but I wanted to let him know before he went on extended leave over the Chrissie break....especially given that the legal team here consists of only two women....me (who is pregnant) and lawyer no. 2 (who is recently back from maternity leave after having bubs no 1 and is planning no 2 for Feb next year).

So, I am now feeling rather guilty as we have effectively lumped my boss with a juggling act for the next 18 months or so!  

Does anyone else have this guilt problem going on??

#16 elle_woods82

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hi TheGub - totally understand what you mean about feeling the guilt! I'm in a small legal team (of 5), and the other female team member announced her pregnancy this week, and I'll be announcing mine next week after my 12 week NT scan. My workmate and I are due within weeks of each other, so we will be on maternity leave at pretty much the same time. While our team is not stretched for resources, our workload is definitely not a 3 person job... So I'm a little worried about how the remaining members will cope. My boss already knows about my pregnancy (I had to fess up quite early due to MS and taking time off work), and the other female colleague now knows, too... so I guess there will be some interesting conversations in January around work situations!

Keep me in the loop about how you go with your work situation! original.gif Gluck!

#17 tigers17

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'm hoping to hold off until the end of January.
Not sure I can keep it to myself til then but I'm going to try!

#18 Nervy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi I just thought I would update, i still havent told my work yet, my boss is on holdiays now so waiting until she gets back in january, but i've had 3 customer today ask when im due EEK so now i'm feeling like i have to say something asap.

#19 kate_123

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

I sent this to my work last night after my scan (my boss already knows). There are already 2 other pregnant women in our small team! I've got some lovely responses already this morning.

Hi Team,

I'm very excited to no longer have to keep a straight face with all the  indirect (and sometimes direct - Jill ! :-P) pregnancy and baby talk. I  can now safely announce that I'm 12 weeks pregnant.

Just like Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, this little prince/princess has  been giving me a royal hard time with severe morning sickness  (hyperemesis gravidarum), hence why I have been MIA the last few weeks. I  have attached a pic of the culprit if your interested.

I hope there is room for one more pregnant woman in the team! I  plan to be back at work next monday, but for those that I don't see  before Christmas, I hope you have a great one!

Cheers,

Kate, Duchess of .... :-)

#20 Nervy

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

Kate i love love your email!! I think i will call you princess Kate from here on in! xx

#21 kahm

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

Love it original.gif

#22 RellBell

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

I am 13 weeks 1 day and telling them today.

I've been really scared of telling everyone, but they are all over the moon about it. I haven't told colleagues, but I told my boss... she was happy for me, and she sad she had been suspecting it for ages as she used to be a nurse.

How exciting! I get to start wearing stretchy pants (as opposed to the standard issue, super uncomfortable pants)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.