When will you tell work?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 leJadie

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Just wondering when everyone (who currently works) will tell their work they are pregnant? I am 10w1d and the 12 week mark is coming up. Not sure I really want to tell work yet but my aversion to alcohol is starting to raise eyebrows now. Specially after our Melbourne Cup lunch where I just had softdrink because I "had to drive!" lol

Edited by leJadie, 08 November 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#2 ellik

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Lols.. yes im having the same problem with lack of alcohol consumption. I wanted to wait until  until about 16 weeks or more if i can before telling work given my m/c history. Ive aleady had to ditch the group costume for xmas party cause its tight and probably wont fit and even if it does will be a dead give away! ... Like the alcohol abstinance wont wink.gif

#3 karlie.jane

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

I am nearly 7 weeks and I have already told my work. As it is very hard to find people to cover me for my shifts. They didn't mind at all I have had both my daughters while working at the same place. My boss just joked and said how many did I intend on having and am I going to have the Brady bunch. They couldn't be happier for me original.gif I hope that everyone else gets the same reaction original.gif

#4 leJadie

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:35 AM

I think part of the reason I don't want to tell them is because I am not expecting a good result. I have only been there since April this year, they probably won't be too pleased :S

#5 Nervy

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

With my DS i didnt tell my work (which is now my old job) until I was 18 weeks. I was hoping to do the same this time but we are very skeleton staff in my new job so i think it would be fair to tell them a bit earlier, maybe 14 weeks? Firstly i want to know everything is going ok with bub. My OB advised to wait to 13 weeks.

#6 FeralMuddyPuddles

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

My work have known since 5/6 weeks as I've been too sick to work and I didn't think it was fair to my clients to be left without a worker for who knew how long.

#7 WanderingMind

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

I told my work when I was 10 weeks.  That was the last day both my supervisor and I would both be at the office until after the new year.  I didn't want to tell that early, but I was worried I would be showing once we got back from overseas.  (I plan on eating a lot and I'll be 16 weeks then.)  

I'm in a tough spot because I just started working there at the end of September (oops!).  I think I seriously got pregnant like the weekend before I started!  Plus I'm casual and they have planned to convert it to a permanent position starting at the first of the year.  I figured it was better to tell them sooner rather than later and hopefully be able to negotiate some paid maternity leave.  (It will be the only "help" we can get since we are just temporary residents and don't qualify for any other benefits.)  They were actually really excited, but just my supervisor and her boss know so far.  Luckily I'm not really showing yet, but having to avoid certain things like alcohol is getting hard!

#8 Clare L

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'm planning to tell them in January, so I'll be about 17 weeks by then. I only need to give 10 weeks notice before taking maternity leave, but I'm in a senior position, so I need to make sure they have plenty of time to work out how they're going to cover my role.

Clare
xx

#9 Nervy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

I was going to tell work at 14 weeks, as per my previous post, but im 14 weeks now and still havent, i've decided to wait until January, so 18 weeks!

#10 Tammoi01

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (WanderingMind @ 03/12/2012, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I told my work when I was 10 weeks.  That was the last day both my supervisor and I would both be at the office until after the new year.  I didn't want to tell that early, but I was worried I would be showing once we got back from overseas.  (I plan on eating a lot and I'll be 16 weeks then.)  

I'm in a tough spot because I just started working there at the end of September (oops!).  I think I seriously got pregnant like the weekend before I started!  Plus I'm casual and they have planned to convert it to a permanent position starting at the first of the year.  I figured it was better to tell them sooner rather than later and hopefully be able to negotiate some paid maternity leave.  (It will be the only "help" we can get since we are just temporary residents and don't qualify for any other benefits.)  They were actually really excited, but just my supervisor and her boss know so far.  Luckily I'm not really showing yet, but having to avoid certain things like alcohol is getting hard!

I'm in the same situation as you WanderingMind. I started my job mid September. Then the day I started work my BIL passed away. They were fantastic about me needing time off then. Now after Christmas I'll be telling them this news, right before I walk out the door for 4 weeks for mine and DPs already cancelled once holiday o/s.
So yes, you could say i'm a little bit nervous about telling them to be honest. I just hope they're excited for me and my partner.

#11 jmaz86

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

I told my job early on because it was physically demanding. Having said that I am now on unpaid leave while they try to find me a suitable position...which they are doing everything they can to not...I have really no leg to stand on as I am casual and my Dr has advised me no heavy lifting or strenuous activity following a bleed early on.
Prior to finding out I was pg I applied for a whole heap of other jobs, I have since had 2 phone interviews  for two other positions...one of which I am fairly confident that I will get the interview for and possibly the job...hence i now have the problem i need to work...but i know they wont employ me if they find out I am pg...

#12 kahm

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

*cough* just re-read most of this and, yes, I am a little dirty with my workplace.  Just a little bit bitter.

I was on secondment in a really demanding job when I got pg, so I told them as soon as I knew.  Seriously, more than about 3 minutes per loo trip got noticed.  
I'm back at my regular job now (seriously, it feels like amateur hour after the buzz of the last one) and I haven't told anyone yet.  
I'm not quite 12 weeks yet, so I still have the excuse that I'm not sure everything's ok yet but I've had such a rough time coming back to this job that I almost don't want to 'reward' them with really personal information.
If they can't be bothered to clear out a desk for me (too busy, they say.  Too lazy more like - if you can leave work at 4.30, you're not too damn busy), and they don't notice if people take 90 minute lunch breaks, then why do they need to know right this minute?  
I've got one (lovely) colleague who's 'busted' me and she's keeping it under her hat for now.  I'm not sure if I'll get through the drinking season without an explanation but at the moment, it's none of their business.

I'm thinking the new year.

#13 Satay Chicken

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

I wanted to wait until around 18 weeks but my colleague logged onto my PC and saw something that gave away I was pregnant, she was then kind enough to spread it around the office for me... Furious much!

#14 leJadie

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (Satay chicken @ 03/12/2012, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wanted to wait until around 18 weeks but my colleague logged onto my PC and saw something that gave away I was pregnant, she was then kind enough to spread it around the office for me... Furious much!

Whhhat! I would be so angry. Some women can be such cows.

Well I told my work last week, first up told the admin manager and she was all excited. So she told the directors (I was worried about their reaction) but they were both really excited and then it was put in the monthly newsletter so now most people that read the newsletter know. Everyone has been great about it so I was worried about nothing really.

Glad I don't have to keep it a secrete between me and my workmate that knew anymore!

#15 TheGub

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

I've told my boss and the HR manager and a few friends. A few more also know (as a result of the boobs and the lack of alcohol or going to social functions).  I figure I'll otherwise make it common knowledge in the new year.

My boss was a bit surprised (it's very left field for me to be in this position) but I wanted to let him know before he went on extended leave over the Chrissie break....especially given that the legal team here consists of only two women....me (who is pregnant) and lawyer no. 2 (who is recently back from maternity leave after having bubs no 1 and is planning no 2 for Feb next year).

So, I am now feeling rather guilty as we have effectively lumped my boss with a juggling act for the next 18 months or so!  

Does anyone else have this guilt problem going on??

#16 elle_woods82

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hi TheGub - totally understand what you mean about feeling the guilt! I'm in a small legal team (of 5), and the other female team member announced her pregnancy this week, and I'll be announcing mine next week after my 12 week NT scan. My workmate and I are due within weeks of each other, so we will be on maternity leave at pretty much the same time. While our team is not stretched for resources, our workload is definitely not a 3 person job... So I'm a little worried about how the remaining members will cope. My boss already knows about my pregnancy (I had to fess up quite early due to MS and taking time off work), and the other female colleague now knows, too... so I guess there will be some interesting conversations in January around work situations!

Keep me in the loop about how you go with your work situation! original.gif Gluck!

#17 tigers17

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'm hoping to hold off until the end of January.
Not sure I can keep it to myself til then but I'm going to try!

#18 Nervy

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi I just thought I would update, i still havent told my work yet, my boss is on holdiays now so waiting until she gets back in january, but i've had 3 customer today ask when im due EEK so now i'm feeling like i have to say something asap.

#19 kate_123

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

I sent this to my work last night after my scan (my boss already knows). There are already 2 other pregnant women in our small team! I've got some lovely responses already this morning.

Hi Team,

I'm very excited to no longer have to keep a straight face with all the  indirect (and sometimes direct - Jill ! :-P) pregnancy and baby talk. I  can now safely announce that I'm 12 weeks pregnant.

Just like Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, this little prince/princess has  been giving me a royal hard time with severe morning sickness  (hyperemesis gravidarum), hence why I have been MIA the last few weeks. I  have attached a pic of the culprit if your interested.

I hope there is room for one more pregnant woman in the team! I  plan to be back at work next monday, but for those that I don't see  before Christmas, I hope you have a great one!

Cheers,

Kate, Duchess of .... :-)

#20 Nervy

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

Kate i love love your email!! I think i will call you princess Kate from here on in! xx

#21 kahm

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

Love it original.gif

#22 RellBell

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

I am 13 weeks 1 day and telling them today.

I've been really scared of telling everyone, but they are all over the moon about it. I haven't told colleagues, but I told my boss... she was happy for me, and she sad she had been suspecting it for ages as she used to be a nurse.

How exciting! I get to start wearing stretchy pants (as opposed to the standard issue, super uncomfortable pants)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Why I breastfed my son until he was three

The fact that I not only breastfed my son, but breastfed him for three and a half years, seems pretty incredible in retrospect.

Do babies and young children see ghosts?

Do babies and young children see ghosts? If you’ve pondered the question, you’re not alone.

15 years with Essential Baby: meet Therese

"Life has a funny way of giving you what you need when you need it the most."

Mum causes a stir by taking a stand against leggings

A mum has found herself the subject of debate after claiming tight bottoms cause lustful thoughts in men.

Don't set a parenting goal for 2015 - do this instead

The problem with goal setting as a parent is the measure. How do we really know if we’re succeeding?

5 pregnancy myths that just won't go away

When you're expecting, it often seems like everyone is keen to offer advice about what you should and shouldn't do in the interests of your health and wellbeing.

RPA hospital contacting mums after discovering vaccine storage fault

Sydney's Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPA) is trying to contact women who had babies at the facility after discovering a fault in a refrigerator containing vaccines.

'Nutella' not a baby name, French court says

A French court has blocked parents from naming their baby girl after the hazelnut spread Nutella, arguing it would make her the target of mockery.

Why I'm never calling myself 'just a mum' again

I’ve grown three human beings. I feed them, dress them, teach them, care for them and love them 24 hours a day. Yet for eight years, when I meet new people and they’ve asked me what I do, I tell them: “I’m just a mum”.

Rosie Batty named 2015 Australian of the Year

One year ago, Rosie Batty could not have imagined she'd be where she is. Tonight the grieving mum who put domestic violence on the national agenda was named Australian of the Year.

Five reasons to hug more

Hugging – some of us thrive on it, even depend on it – and then there are those who don't care for it really. So, are they missing out?

Help - my three-year-old has started throwing tantrums

My daughter never went through the "terrible twos" but began throwing wild tantrums shortly after her third birthday.

That's commitment

First peek at Sonia Kruger's daughter Maggie

"She smells so good, I could eat her," Kruger tells co-host David Campbell.

Mum assists in own caesarean surgery

A mum who partly delivered her own twins during a caesarean has encouraged other women to take control of their birthing experience.

How to handle common childhood regressions

Regression can be a natural and common part of development prompted by a variety of factors, but that doesn't make it less frustrating.

Disgruntled dad's pram ad goes viral

When buying a second hand pram, there are lots of things to take into consideration. 

Man discovers he's a dad after finding 55-year-old letter

Discovering you are about to father a baby is startling enough - never mind finding out you have a 61-year-old son.

15 thoughts mums have during a tantrum

Ranging from mild to feral and triggered by events both minor and major, tantrums certainly keep life interesting.

Natural pain relief in the early stages of labour

While managing labour pains on your own can be daunting, there are a number of natural pain relief options to help you cope until you are admitted to hospital.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Forgotten Baby Syndrome claims the life of toddler

One baby dies every eight days in the back of a car in the US, victims of 'forgotten baby syndrome'.

For a brief time, I was touched by an angel

For a brief time, I was touched by an angel. You stole my heart, and changed me into the women I am today.

Chinese woman gives birth to quintuplets

After six years of trying for a baby, a couple’s dreams have come true many times over after the mum gave birth to quintuplets this week.

Chrissie Swan has reached her "sex quota"

Chrissie Swan says she and her partner have sex once a year due to her fear of falling pregnant.

Stars help save choking babies

It's an important lesson to learn, but one that busy new mums and dads might overlook until it's too late.

New Girl star Zooey Deschanel pregnant

Actress Zooey Deschanel is expecting her first child with her producer boyfriend Jacob Pechenik.

16 times 'dad reflexes' saved the day

Of course, in some cases they may be the ones who actually got their child into a precarious position in the first place, but we'll ignore that for now.

Couple's 'non-traditional' pregnancy announcement goes viral

Knowing you are not the father of your pregnant wife's baby would usually indicate a rocky relationship ahead for traditional parents.

The trials and tribulations of identical triplet newborns

Pip Donnelly is still playing spot the difference with her newborn identical triplets, Isabelle, Georgina and Frankie.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Earthquake baby thriving five years on

Jenny Alexis is lucky to be alive after spending four days buried in the rubble of the 2010 Haitian earthquake, but now she's a thriving five year old.

Please don't say I'm lucky because I was adopted

On the one hand I was having a regular life with friends and sports and sleepovers and school. But I was also always wondering: Did my mother love me? What was wrong with me?

An open letter to non-parents who offer advice on child-rearing

Kitty, when you’re the parent of my child you’re welcome to wade in with an opinion – but until then, I’d prefer you to have a supportive ear and a glass of wine ready.

Couple arrested over baby gun video

A US couple faces charges after investigators say they found mobile phone videos showing the woman's 12-month-old daughter putting a handgun in her mouth.

NSW Health dumps 10-year limit on frozen embryos

A 10-year time limit on storing frozen embryos that were created with donor sperm has been dropped by the NSW government.

How my happy-go-lucky husband became a monster

Sharan Nicholson-Rogers watched her husband change from a happy-go-lucky police officer into an unpredictable man prone to violent and emotional outbursts.

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes, too

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes in line with their pregnant partners, a new study shows.

'They were just doing their job': mum of toddler killed in police chase gone wrong

"They were just doing their job. I feel so sorry for them. It is all just too sad."

Miscarriages to be formally recognised by NSW government

Women who miscarry will be able to obtain an optional "recognition of loss" certificate as a formal recognition of their often heartbreaking loss.

Cafe cubby house 'too noisy' for neighbours

Teenage parties, domestic disputes, or raucous late night pubs are the things that usually come to mind when you think neighbourhood noise complaints.

Dad films baby playing with snake

Most parents would not consider a snake an appropriate playmate for their baby, but a US dad who filmed his daughter playing with a python has defended himself against criticism.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Back to School Offer

Findababysitter.com.au

We've got you covered for this school year. Use www.findababysitter.com.au to meet local nannies now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.