Birkinstocks?
Hot or not?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 lilmissmuffet

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi

I'm SO sick of my fancy, expansive thongs/flip flops breaking! At $30 a pop they are as cool as rubber thongs can get but they just don't go the distance.

I'm considering Birkinstocks but are they a terrible fashion faux pas?

This style http://www.birkenstock.com.au/product_deta...gizeh/04385/0/0

My feet are size 9 so I imagine they will look like twin boats on my feet   biggrin.gif

Is there a fashionable alternative? Not too dressy, these shoes will be for doing the school run, grocery shopping, playground playdates, etc.

ETA Does anyone else have problems with their thongs/flip flops, the ones beginning with "H", breaking or is it just me?

Edited by lilmissmuffet, 08 November 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#2 CupOfCoffee

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

In the land of thongs, they would be the ones I like the most (But I personally don't like 'fancier' thongs though, I think thongs should be simple, comfortable and well wearing).

#3 Heffalump

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

They look ok, but comfort wise I think they are a little overrated.

#4 elmo_mum

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

i have a size 9 9/12
i love my birkenstocks!!!

btw - that style is on special at harris scarfe this week

http://catalogues.harrisscarfe.com.au/cata....html#pageNo=26

the silver ones go with most things... if you look through the birkenstock on line store there are heaps of colours and patterns!!!!

go for it!

as i said i love em!

#5 lamarque

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

I've heard them ribbed a bit around the place.

But for a person with a dodgy back, they're wonderful!  I have the exact ones in your link but in white.

I can't wear the strappy summer shoes with 2 cms of sole at all.

#6 daisydo

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I love mine.

But I don't recommend wearing them with socks!

#7 Guest_Maybelle_*

Ugly, but so bloody comfortable that sometimes comfort wins out.

#8 Quack Quack

That style of Birks really isn't that comfortable.  I have a pair similar, not thong style but with the strap that goes over the top of your foot with a buckle... and have hardly worn them sad.gif they are so hard on your feet, just uncomfortable.

However, that said, I do have a pair of Birks which have the soft bouncy inner sole, green leather just over the top of the foot... they are MAGIC! were not cheap... but I have had them now for about 5 summers and Live in them, so I certainly have my moneys worth wink.gif

#9 monnianni

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Love Birkenstocks, both my pairs have died and several years of use, am off to check out Harris Scarfe for a new pair, thanks PP!

#10 Monket

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

I am not a thong person but I have some birkies of the clog variety and I love them.  They are so comfortable and they have half a cat on each foot so are more funky than daggy.

#11 Beancat

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

My "H" thongs have been fine.  I have also had good wear out of Ripcurl thongs

Birkenstocks, a bit daggy, not my scene.  But I wouldnt pick on someone for wearing them though original.gif

#12 Anemonefish

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

I have ankle/foot problems so I mainly only wear Birks. I have 7-8 pairs, including a pair of really nice leather Mary Janes.

I usually order them from Germany, from the official website:
http://www.footshopping.com/?CFID=31067735...FTOKEN=44944329
Much cheaper and so many different styles to choose from. If you order over $400 worth, you get free postage. I have a few friends who love Birks, and we usually put in a joint order once or twice a year.

#13 midstudentcatie

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I live in them! Same style as you posted, plus the Boston style in winter, numerous colours original.gif I can't do thongs at all, esp not havvies as my feet are shockingly flat and they kill me. Birkies have heaps of support without being hot, so they're perfect in my eyes! I've never heard them being ribbed, definitely not a faux pas unless you go for the real nanna style ones!

They are like wearing planks of wood on your feet until the cork softens up, but once it does, oh my gosh! Better than uggies in winter Tounge1.gif I've had my white pair for 4 years and I can't bring myself to replace them...I'm thinking a good scrub and a new sole and they'll be all good to go again original.gif

#14 Guest_~Songbird~_*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

Birkenstocks are worth every cent and unlike cheap crap they don't cause fatigue in your feet/legs and back!.

#15 midstudentcatie

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Monket @ 08/11/2012, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not a thong person but I have some birkies of the clog variety and I love them.  They are so comfortable and they have half a cat on each foot so are more funky than daggy.

One of my winter pairs has half a pig on each one...by far my favourite pair original.gif Really wanted the cows, but they had to order them from Germany and there was no way I was waiting that long!

#16 sarkazm76

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Love them - they are about the only shoes I buy as I have high arches and wide feet so most thongs/ sandals are impossible for me to get my hoof into.

I have these though - I had the Gizeh earlier but like these better: http://www.birkenstock.com.au/product_deta...ayari/07168/0/0

For work I have the Boston in grey felt original.gif

Tip - go to a store and try them on, work out what you like and what szie then buy online.  Shop price here is ridiculous!  I bought mine through a shop in Germany using Amazon.co.uk and saved heaps!

#17 elmo_mum

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Anemonefish

dangerous

my dhhates u already! lol

#18 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

I love my Birks - have been wonderful for my RA affected feet, however agree with pp I don't find that particular style comfy at all.

I like this style
http://www.birkenstock.com.au/product_deta...izona/05113/0/0

must say though, I love my Havies as much if not more than Birks.  

Birks take a while to break in.

#19 Libertine

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (sarkazm76 @ 08/11/2012, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tip - go to a store and try them on, work out what you like and what szie then buy online.  Shop price here is ridiculous!  I bought mine through a shop in Germany using Amazon.co.uk and saved heaps!

Good advice. I wear a size smaller than my normal size in Birks. Also I get the narrow fitting as it makes the shoes less clunky looking.

If you know size/what style suits you then you can get great deals on amazon.com. Prices in Aus are a complete rip off.

#20 Anemonefish

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (elmo_mum @ 08/11/2012, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anemonefish

dangerous

my dhhates u already! lol

He he, sorry elmo_mum's DH!
Forgot to mention, if you click on 'Bargain Buy' at the top of the home page and select your size, it gives you all the shoes on special in your size.

Edited by Anemonefish, 08 November 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#21 Kay1

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

I just got those same ones in Black. I was tossing up between black and silver and now I wish I'd got both, they are so comfy. They took a few wears to break them in but now I love them. They are very popular in my circles so I don't feel too daggy wearing them. original.gif

I got them through a group buy at footshopping. $56 a pair, free shipping and they arrived within a week!!

#22 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

I have a few pairs of Gizeh ones, I tend to like them in bright colours.  I have a dodgy back, and they're the only summer shoe I've ever found comfortable.  I tend to coordinate them with whatever I'm wearing.

Edited by SlinkyMalinki, 08 November 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#23 nom de plume

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'm sorry, but I think Birkinstocks are hideous and something I would never wear.  So a "not hot" vote from me.

#24 Silver Girl

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

The fashion writer Maggie Alderson raves about Birkenstocks.

Example here:
http://www.high50.com/archives/style-shopp...the-birkenstock

#25 nadi~bicardi

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

I just bought some of the clog style ones with kermit the frog on them and they are awesome.  Like a PP I also have rheumatoid arthritis and I find that they are the only shoes I can wear where I have no foot pain at all.  

I only got mine a couple of weeks ago and they were half price on Styletread.  I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for some more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.