Samoyed x Golden Retriever?
Good breed or problems?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bryce's-mummy

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

As in the title. Have been thinking for a while now (a couple of years) about getting another dog- a companion for our older dog (small female lab aged 11). I have two kids- 3 and almost 6.

I have looked at purebred Samoyeds but they are hard to come by where we are (and quite expensive about $1500 to $1800)- we have also considered a golden retriever before as well.

I have seen a couple of people advertising this cross-breed, known as a "Golden Sammy" (which I didn't know before tonight) but I was wondering if anyone knew of any problems with the cross-breed (other than hip probs which I have already read about). I have googled but have come up with very little.

Anyone know of any health/behavioural issues with this dog? Was going to call our vet tomorrow to check it out with them but thought I might get some info on here first!!

Thanks original.gif

#2 la di dah

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

A backyard bred samoyed/golden would have me worried about temperment issues, especially barking, digging, barking, fear-biting, and oh yes, barking.

But I have had some nasty incidents with Goldens. And I've never known a particularly unpleasant Samoyed but they are vocal.

Basically you're getting a grab-bag dog. Could have some good features from either, could have the bad problems of each. And unfortunately while there's nothing wrong with well-bred Goldens or well-bred Sammys, the sort of breeders that do lots and lots of socialization and lots and lots of health checks, don't cross breed.

So it's not like the best and most beautiful of each breed are the parents, you know? Can be, in fact, a couple generations of really weird or poorly cared for dogs. Same gamble as any pound puppy.

A "golden sammy" isn't a real breed, they can't breed true. There's a lot of retriever crosses in shelters/rescues. Which state are you in?

#3 Guest_~Songbird~_*

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 20 February 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#4 Duck.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

With any cross breed advertised with a combined name i instantly think back yard breeder and puppy farm.

Maybe keep calling around animal resue groups and see if they can put you on a wait list for a rescue?

#5 FiveAus

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

There's no such breed as a "Golden Sammy". It's a mutt.

Look for an older Samoyed, they won't be as expensive as a puppy (but to be honest, I think $1500 is VERY reasonable for a well-bred pedigree puppy).

Here's a link to a couple of them, don't be too concerned if they're interstate, it's not that expensive to have them flown to your own state.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/samoyed.asp

Edited by FiveAus, 08 November 2012 - 05:44 AM.

#6 idignantlyright

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

I love both breeds on their own merits. Couldn't ask for a cross breed, but if I found one that needed rescuing I would get it.
Can you imagine the grooming a cross breed would take  unsure.gif

#7 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

The first concern you should have is that the "breeder" is not a registered breeder, and that the dog/pup is also not registered. You would need the scores for hips, elbows and eyes for both parents and their pedigree.

People who intentionally breed crosses are in it to make money. They don't give a sh*t about the dog, or the people that they intend to fleece - that would be you, by the way. The dogs they use for breeding are not of 'breeding quality stock'. That means the dogs have faults - such as hip dysplasia, and elbow issues, and other genetic flaws that impact the health and sturdiness of the animal. You won't see signs of these in a puppy (unless its really bad), but as the dog matures, it will cost you a small fortune in vet bills. You think $1800 is expensive, check out the prices for animal xrays and surgery. In comparison, buying a pup that comes with breeder guarantees and quality parents is a sensible investment in a dog that ought to live 15-16 years (the spitz breeds).

So no, I wouldn't buy a Samoyed x Golden Retriever from a BYB or Puppy Miller. I would pick one up from pet rescue or the pound, but I'd be doing the sane thing and buying a purebred. For my money - I'd go the Samoyed, but then I'm not afraid of fur and grooming.

#8 Epitome

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

With all due respect to you OP - do you think that right now getting a dog is the best idea?

I've been following your heartbreaking journey and you have my sincerest sympathies - I hope that there is some light soon and some relief from the emotional and financial pressure you have been under.

However, you have mentioned money worries, serious relationship issues and you rent as well.

While a pet is a wonderful thing, if you cant confidently say that you will be able to cover vet bills, or even the basics and arent confident about your domestic situation, I think that maybe its best to wait before adding another factor to the list.

Again - I don't want to upset you, but I thought it only responsible to point out these things.

All the best

#9 Apageintime

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

my vet told me once that If someone can't afford the cost of a pure breed upfront, they'll never be able to afford the cost of all the health problems associated with a cross breed, BYB mutt.

What specifically about these breeds appeals to you - perhaps other PPs could reccommend some dogs that are more readily available in your area that meet your needs.

#10 *Ker*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hey Lorraine.

Bad idea. A Samoyed is a Spitz. So they bark. A LOT. Generally, they are smart and stubborn. A goldie is dumber, but biddable. Mix those two and you have a disaster.  Sammys are prone to PRA, hip dysplasia and skin problems. A large number get diabetes. Goldies are prone to eye and ear problems (including cataracts), hip dysplasia and heart murmurs. A large number get cancer.

I have a different breed, but she's a spitz. Want to come meet her? And listen to her barking. At absolutely nothing  laughing2.gif I love her and will have another of her breed, but OMG the barking!!!

And remember the grooming, I'm one of those weirdos that find grooming therapeutic (although I'm not sure my girl agrees), but the hair loss is incredible. One of the beauties of the Spitz. They blow coat once a year (when desexed) and OMG it is a HELL of a coat blow. I have tumble weeds through my back yard!!! It's taken me two weeks so far, about 4 hours a week and I STILL haven't got all her loose hair out (I break it up so her majesty gets a break). Her breed is around $1500 - $2500 for a pup. I got her as a failed show dog, so she didn't cost that much.

Honestly, I love both breeds. But would I get a cross? Not on your life.

There are often Sammy's coming through in rescue - the coat freaks people out. And there are a LOT of goldens in rescue. You could call some of the rescue places in NSW and Vic and ask if they have one, can they put your name on the list for one that comes through. Or you could go an older dog from a breeder. A lot just didn't make the grade. Or they have retired a breeding dog.

I can help if you like original.gif

#11 *Ker*

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/samoyed.asp

Here are two older Sammys. a male and a female. They are interstate, but as PP's said, shipping dogs isn't that expensive.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature...n-retriever.asp

Lukesin in SA has an older Goldie looking to rehome. Only 10 months old.

#12 bryce's-mummy

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will be staying away from the 'breed'.

QUOTE (melbelle @ 08/11/2012, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With all due respect to you OP - do you think that right now getting a dog is the best idea?

I've been following your heartbreaking journey and you have my sincerest sympathies - I hope that there is some light soon and some relief from the emotional and financial pressure you have been under.

However, you have mentioned money worries, serious relationship issues and you rent as well.

While a pet is a wonderful thing, if you cant confidently say that you will be able to cover vet bills, or even the basics and arent confident about your domestic situation, I think that maybe its best to wait before adding another factor to the list.

Again - I don't want to upset you, but I thought it only responsible to point out these things.

All the best

Yes, you are right. The main reason we need another dog is due to the fact that we were broken into a year ago and they have tried to break in multiple times since (not to mention our cars broken into about 4 times in last 12 months). Our lab is just not up to that crap anymore and was fretting when she was found after we were broken in sad.gif  - TBH- this is a known reason why a Sammy would not be a good 'guard dog' for us but instead perhaps a watch dog with it's barking!

Yes, we would LOVE to move (but obviously a big and hard decision right now). sad.gif

My Nanna passed away a few months ago and left us with some cash and would have liked to us to be able to purchase another dog with her money for these reasons (admittedly with me being out of work we have used some of the cash for bills). We have a wonderful vet who is very reasonably priced and do accounts etc. and I know the cost per year for worming, vaccinations, vet bills etc would be expensive, hence why we have been thinking about this for a VERY LONG while!! And are in no way going to do something in the next few months anyway (not with me being out of work and DH looking for something better). I would personally like a shih tzu or similar small dog but obviously not a large enough breed for us for security purposes. And it has to be something good around our kids and existing dog and cat. We have looked at installing security of other types but renting makes this difficult and all the cheaper products on the market don't seem too reliable (we have researched a bit). And, as our dog loves other dogs, she would love a companion into her senior years bless her.

But we are looking for the right breed (and the $$$ amount is a huge factor) and the right breeder, plus our circumstances have to be right as well.

Thanks Ker for your info- yes I know they are barking dogs- we grew up with jack russells though so I am very, very used to yappy dogs!! As for the coat- well, that never really bothered me (our lab malts HEAPS)- I swear we get more hair off her than a farmer would get after shearing his woolliest sheep!!!  wink.gif  And DD has also taken a love of brushing her (we fight over who brushes her now!!)

Thanks again everyone original.gif

Edited by bryce's-mummy, 08 November 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#13 wesse

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

I have a golden retriever x samoyed. She is not a barker, loves the children and is extremely protective of the family. We love daisy to bits - i dont know why others would be concerned about temperment.

One issue she does have is she s afraid of thunder - thats the golden retriever side apparently. Also, we have her clipped once a year in summer for the heat. Thats it  biggrin.gif

#14 Epitome

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for coming back in OP - I'm hoping that things start to work out for you!

#15 Gloriana

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Before I knew about BYB and puppy farms we bought a Goldy X Sammie.
Kira is 12yrs old and showing it. She is the best dog we have ever had. She really is a best friend. Never been a barker unless someone comes to the door. But getting old she has started barking at the sky but apart from that it's nothing compared to our pure goldy who barks every time the dogs next door or over the back fence bark. Barks at dogs walking past as well. You get the picture.
Kira was trained with us having children in mind. You can take anything off her, lay your head on her. She just likes to be with you. Also hates thunder but so does Chloe our pure breed goldy.

In saying all this when she goes we would not buy another one. Because of the BYB/Puppy farm thing but also because Kira is Kira and we don't want to risk not getting the same again.

And OMG the hair is so much  ohmy.gif .

#16 spitzmum

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

This might be throwing a different idea into the mix - but if you are looking for a dog for protection of your home and property, why not a working line Malinois and then train it specifically for protection work?  There are specific trainers for this sort of work (eg Steve Courtney at K9Pro) and it will take time, but you'll have a dog that you know you can rely on to protect yourself and your property.

#17 *Ker*

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

I would not be recommending a security trained Malinois in a home with young kids or with an inexperienced person. That's asking for disaster.

#18 Guest_~Songbird~_*

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 20 February 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#19 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Sorry, but in your circumstances OP, I would not be getting another dog. Pets cost money, there are no two ways about it. And from your posts over the last year, you need every spare cent you can get.

If you MUST get one, get one from the RSPCA that needs a loving home.

#20 countrychic29

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hi OP,
I grew up with a sammy (rescue) she was a delightful dog not a barker but a 'talker' she was very sweet with people, but i just saw you mention you had a cat, just be aware that sammys and huskies for that matter have an extremely high prey drive.
We tried our best but she was quick to catch anything that landed in the backyard sad.gif
I know a top sammy breeder and their cat is indoors only the dogs may be well trained but he does not trust they prey drive. just something to be aware of IMO original.gif

#21 ubermum

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

A dog for security is a dumb idea. They are easily baited or hurt or even trained by a smart intruder.

#22 la di dah

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (wesse @ 08/11/2012, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a golden retriever x samoyed. She is not a barker, loves the children and is extremely protective of the family. We love daisy to bits - i dont know why others would be concerned about temperment.

Saying both breeds can be lovely is absolutely true but I would still be cautious about the temperment of a dog being sold as a "golden sammy" because it bespeaks a certain mindset and possible priorities of the breeder involving getting out as many cute six hundred dollar puppies as possible before the mother drops dead or her insides fall out.

And I've happened to have known some Golden Retrievers that due to poor breeding and socialization had absolutely shocking temperments. Very sad. I wouldn't say EVERY example of even my favourite breed ever is suitable to be brought home to a family with young children.

#23 elle-M

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (*Ker* @ 08/11/2012, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bad idea. A Samoyed is a Spitz. So they bark. A LOT. Generally, they are smart and stubborn. A goldie is dumber, but biddable..

That's a bit harsh. Properly bred for the right reasons a golden retriever is a very intelligent dog. Of course there are always going to be outliers but as a general rule they continually rank towards the top for canine intelligence.

#24 spitzmum

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (*Ker* @ 10/11/2012, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would not be recommending a security trained Malinois in a home with young kids or with an inexperienced person. That's asking for disaster.

I don't quite 100% agree - yes, if you get someone else to train the dog for security work and you as the owner are not 100% committed - then it can be a huge problem.  I know 2 security trained Mals (bite work etc) that live with a family full time, inside and their children are both under 10.  

I haven't followed the OP's other threads though which might indicate that they don't have the time and resources to commit to training a dog in this way.

#25 *Ker*

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

I know Lorraine is inexperienced in security training. I also know the family doesn't have the financial, or emotional capacity to do it. She also simply doesn't have the time.

I still wouldn't do it. Those I know that have security trained dogs do not have children. Children are unpredictable. So are dogs. Security trained dogs are even more unpredictable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

My friend had just had a baby, and she wasn't budging: no visit until I had my shots. And it's not an unusual request.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.