Croup
experiences please.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Kay1

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

Last night my 4 year old had a very sudden, very severe case of croup. He was 100% well at bedtime and when I checked on him at 10pm. It was a warm night.  At 10.30pm he woke with a couple of sharp barking coughs and great difficulty breathing. He had a loud stridor on the in and out breaths and retractions when trying to breathe. Steam didn't help nor did going outside. We called an ambulance and when they arrived after 30 minutes he was given adrenalin by nebuliser and oxygen and taken to hospital. His breathing improved and he was monitored for 4 hours and then allowed to come home.

We have a dose of redipred to give him this evening but I am so scared of it happening again tonight. It was so scary.

If you have experience with this I would really appreciate hearing from you. In particular, I wonder if your kids are prone to croup, what can you do when you are on holidays, going on a plane etc where you may not be able to get quick emergency medical treatment? We are going on holidays soon, not anywhere terribly remote but also probably not somewhere where we'll get a quick response from an ambulance and I'm a bit worried. I know some people are given redipred in powder form to make up but I am not sure that would have helped us last night as it was so sudden and severe.

My older son had croup a few times but it was never this bad and responded to steam etc. Also we had some warning with him, some coughing etc.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kay1, 07 November 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#2 galba

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

MY DS10 had it last year and ended up in hospital overnight.  He's had it before when he was a baby but nothing since then.

If it happened on holiday I would just take him straight to the ER for some steroids.  If it's on a plane and it's life-threatening then the plane will divert and land as they would do for anything that needed emergency treatment.

#3 Feral Farmgal

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

My 4 year old developed croup last week too. We did not have any medicine in the night so took him into the bathroom and ran a hot shower. The steam seemed to help him breath easier. I put the steamer on in his room too, not sure that did much. I also gave him Nurofen, which stopped the pain in his throat and that calmed him down and I am sure helped stop the coughing.

The next day went to the dr and got Redipred, it worked a treat and in to days after two doses the croup has gone.

If you are going on holidays I would have spare Redipred with you.

Good luck...croup is horrible!

Edited by farmgal, 07 November 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#4 Natttmumm

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

It is very scary. Both my girls have had croup but we did manage them at home so maybe it wasn't as bad as your DS.
We had redipred prescribed for 3 nights after the first attack. We were told to give it before bed to help keep the airways open. They still coughed but didnt struggle to breath with that. I have used this a few times and have always found it helped if given before bedtime around 8 pm. If its too early it didn't last all night.
In the middle of an attack I can't give it as my girls vomit. I know redipred lasts 28 days so you could take some with you on holidays. We are on holidays and it has worried me but a hospital is not too far.
I hope he is ok tonight

#5 Kay1

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Does anyone know how fast redipred works? Last night I'm not sure I'd have gotten it into him as he was so distressed.

#6 Feral WibbleWobble

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

DS (3) has had croup twice this year. First time sounds a bit like the experience you had, it was very scary seeing him struggle to breath. It was pretty bad for about 2 nights and then eased off. We found taking him out side at night helped a bit. We also had him in the bed with us so that when he woke we could reassure him before he got to distressed for the cough. We ended up at emergency and were given prednisone for him.

This time we realized what it was much quicker (last time it started as a normal cough and gave cough medicine, shouldn't give it) and got to the drs. Again given prednisone and also Bricanyl. This time around the croup cough has cleared up much quicker, so not sure if it is due to the addition of Bricanyl or just a milder case of croup.

If you are going away I would take a supply with you to be on the safe side.

Hope you DS is feeling better soon.

#7 Kay1

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Cadie that sounds interesting.

I have always managed DS1's at home but this was so severe and there was absolutely no warning. I will make an appointment with the GP and discuss measures to take if it happens again.

#8 Kay1

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

jameses mum - what do you give in the nebuliser?

#9 tenar

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

My kids both get croup periodically, but have never had a severe enough episode to require an ambulance (touch wood).

We always have a spare bottle of redipred in the house.  The bottle has more than enough for the number of doses you'd give them in one go (ie say 3 doses over 3 days - there will still be leftovers in the bottle, I'd expect).  So I just save it.

It works quickly for DD1, but part of that is a placebo effect.  I've tried just panadol (in a mild situation) and that also helps her to stop the coughing.  Part of the deal with croup is that the more stressed and upset the child is, the harder it is for them to breathe.  My GP told me that the time it takes for redipred to really work is about 3 hours, though some effect would be faster than that.

#10 IsolaBella

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I always travel with redipred

I just asked the Dr for a repeat  script as we only have one dose left in current bottle.

We have done many ED trips over the years. Last week though my 5yo started up at 5am. Major difficulties breathing more then the cough. Thankfully new game on ipad served as a diversion rolleyes.gif

#11 Kay1

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Part of the deal with croup is that the more stressed and upset the child is, the harder it is for them to breathe. My GP told me that the time it takes for redipred to really work is about 3 hours, though some effect would be faster than that.

Yes, this is why we couldn't drive him to the ED. Only one of us could have gone and so he would have been in the back on his own, strapped in a car seat. He was doubling over to get breath at times so this would have distressed him a lot. The only thing that kept him calm was me holding him and telling him stories and talking about how he would be ok soon etc.

I wonder if adrenalin is something that is dispensed for home use. I suspect not but he certainly needed it last night.

Isolabella -
We have done many ED trips over the years. Last week though my 5yo started up at 5am. Major difficulties breathing more then the cough. Thankfully new game on ipad served as a diversion

Yes DS2 also didn't have a cough really, just the trouble breathing. Do you mean the game worked as a distraction long enough for it to resolve? I was so scared because DS2's seemed to be getting worse and I felt like his airways were almost closed. There was no distracting him although we did manage to keep him calm.

I remember reading about a little boy in a plane coming into Sydney a couple of years ago who sadly died from croup before they could land and get him to hospital. sad.gif

#12 IsolaBella

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Game worked as a distraction so his stress was not adding to difficulties breathing. That then meant we could get the redipred into him more quickly.

#13 justcait2

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

we give redipred in the morning as it makes them hypo and it also takes a while to be useful.  We also elevate the bed and use ventolin at least 4 times a day for at least 3 days after the onset of the croup.  My DS gets it often and too the point that he vomits and he is the same goes to bed fine and then bang wakes up with croup.  

Sometimes we also have him sleep with us as the extra warmth helps.  Also his last attack was quite bad and could not settle him even after a shower so he slept on me while I was sitting upright until he was relaxed and then i moved him and he slept all night without issues.

Croup is scary and nasty sad.gif

#14 jrmama

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Adrenaline is not available as a home medication.  It is used by the ambulance service and inthe ED and ICU.  Any patient who has had a dose of adrenaline needs cardiac monitoring and very close watching for at least 4 hours as a rebnound effect can happen.

#15 Kay1

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks jrmama.

Thanks everyone, we gave him the redipred at bedtime as instructed. He's gone off to sleep now, he's been coughing a bit today. Hopefully it will be a peaceful night.

#16 IsolaBella

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

5yo still took 3 doses of redipred to get him fixed. DD only needed one dose (croupy cough smaller strider).

#17 IsolaBella

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

How did you go lat night?

#18 Peppy2

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

My two year old has had repeated bouts of croup.
He must be prone to it because we have had to call an ambulance at least three times.

There is definite stridor when breathing. His lips start to turn blue. Its the most terrifying thing. Especially when I put him to bed seemingly healthy.

The doctors in the ED have told me that I need to call an ambulance ASAP when he has these croup attacks. He then gets adrenalin in the nebuliser and at hospital they give him prednisone.

We are going to Tasmania tomorrow for two weeks and we are taking some redipred. It does take six hours to work however so you have to be really on the look out for coughing or wheezing before bed time. Hopefully we will always be within easy reach of an ambulance.

I was also told not to muck around with showers and steam as it is most likely life threatening for my little one.

Hoping he grows out of it soon as my daughter was similar and her last attack was at age 3.

#19 threetimesblessed

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

We had a situation very similar to yours with our 4 year old and croup.
Was a particularly cold March morning and we watched as he struggled to breathe and turned blue before our eyes in our lounge room. We literally bundled him into the car and drove 5 mins to our GP.

He had more croup episodes March - May and a few ER visits.

It is very frightening. I now have an asthma plan, 2 sets of his ventolin/spacer, an unopened bottle of redipred at home at all times, repeat presrciption for redipred. His bag of medication goes everywhere with us and his preschool have a set.

What worked for us - distraction, sitting upright, sleeping upright in our arms, sleeping with us during an episode, bedroom warmed on cool nights, elevated on 2 pillows, inside by 4pm during winter.

#20 Natttmumm

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hope he is ok tonight. I found giving the redipred before bed is the best way.
If he coughs keep him calm with the tv or a book and see if he stops. I sometimes sing a few songs too.
I have found this has kept us out of hospital. Although I would go to hospital if in doubt.
Croup often only lasts 3 nights and then tapers off so you are near the end.

#21 Natttmumm

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

Just wanted to agree with the inside by 4 pm rule. We do this too and make sure the kids are warm enough all day. If I don't do this they can have a coughing attack at night.

#22 Kay1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I forgot to check back in here. He is fine, we gave the redipred at night as directed and he slept fine. I went to the GP next day and got some more as he had been quite wheezy before the redipred so I wanted him to have another dose. Since then he's been fine.

The GP said redipred takes 40 mins to work?? She didn't seem particularly knowledgeable about croup though.

It really was the most frightening thing. Especially since he had no cold or cough at all and it was a very warm, humid night.  

We had a situation very similar to yours with our 4 year old and croup.
Was a particularly cold March morning and we watched as he struggled to breathe and turned blue before our eyes in our lounge room. We literally bundled him into the car and drove 5 mins to our GP.

He had more croup episodes March - May and a few ER visits.

It is very frightening. I now have an asthma plan, 2 sets of his ventolin/spacer, an unopened bottle of redipred at home at all times, repeat presrciption for redipred. His bag of medication goes everywhere with us and his preschool have a set.

What worked for us - distraction, sitting upright, sleeping upright in our arms, sleeping with us during an episode, bedroom warmed on cool nights, elevated on 2 pillows, inside by 4pm during winter.

Does your DS have asthma as well? Ours has no signs of asthma so far. Also your 3 boys were born the same years as my 3 boys! original.gif

#23 Purescapevalley

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

There is really no need to go straight to the ER though and can be managed at home (unless as severe as you decribed)

Please do not advise people not to go to the ER.  Croup can come on fast and when my son last had it I was reprimanded by the resus nurse for driving him myself rather than calling an ambulance, she told me that minutes can count with severe croup.  Redipred was not enough for him and adrenalin was needed to get him breathing again, then he required cardiac monitoring.  It was terrifying.

I would rather take my child to ER or call an ambulance and find that it is not that severe than to treat at home and risk my child suffering immesurably and then possibly losing their life.

#24 JG13

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

Redipred takes longer than 40 mins to work.  I can't remember exactly, but agree with PP that it is several hours. We also travel with it. After checking with GP, I am comfortable in my ability to recognise it and I constantly have updated dosage amounts for my DS as he grows.  Croup sucks.

Edited by JG13, 12 November 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#25 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

You can get shelf stable pred. I always request that one fron the Drs after been caught on holidays without and DD ending up in intensive care. So much easier than worrying about keeping it cold on car trips etc.

In terms of how quickly it works I've been told you should see a difference 40mins - 4 hrs.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.