If your goal is to lose weight...
Would you concentrate more on cardio?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 paula1

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Hi Ladies,

I want to lose about 15kg's and I'm doing weights and cardio in the gym as per the 12 WBT.
I'm wondering whether I should concentrate more on cardio and continue with weights but perhaps do less until I've lost some more weight?
I understand the importance of weights but I wonder if maybe for the next 6 weeks I should make the focus of my workouts more cardio.

Any opinions would be great

Edited by paula1, 06 November 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#2 brazen

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

not that i'm very successful at losing weight but i have read that doing weights is just as important as it is better at increasing your metabolism original.gif i try to do 1/2 / 1/2 most gym visits original.gif

#3 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Both are important.

Weights increase muscle mass which need more calories just to work. So you will continue burning more calories long after your work out.

How many weight and cardio days are you doing? I do 2 weight days but as my warm up I jog on the treadmill for 2km so still fitting in cardio even on weight days.

#4 *molly*

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

No way, I'd put more effort into my weights. Works for me original.gif

#5 paula1

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

On the program they want us to do 2 days of cardio, 2 days of toning (weights) and 1 super Saturday which we are required to burn approx 1000 calories.

On the toning days I work hard but i'm not burning many calories. I was wondering if maybe i should spend more time doing cardio and maybe only 15 mins of weights until i've lost more weight and the results of the weight training will be visible.

Edited by paula1, 06 November 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#6 Phoenix Blue

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Weights.

Up the intensity of your 'toning'. Add shuttle runs, skipping, mountain climbs, etc between your weight sets.  Keep your HR up.

More importantly, make sure you are lifting weights that are heavy enough. You should struggle to do the last rep. 'Toning' is a really blurgh word and I personally hate it.  I'm surprised that MB uses it?

#7 TPS

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Weights.

Up the intensity of your 'toning'. Add shuttle runs, skipping, mountain climbs, etc between your weight sets. Keep your HR up.

More importantly, make sure you are lifting weights that are heavy enough. You should struggle to do the last rep.

^^ this

The higher your lean muscle mass, the higher your basal metabolic rate, meaning you burn more calories ALL THE TIME compared to having a lower muscle mass. Plus you look better! And weight training may burn less calories in the session, but the post workout burn is higher (for 24-36 hours afterwards!). All good and well to do cardio, but make it high intensity interval type training (such as Tabata).

#8 Mellows

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Your main focus should be your diet. You can loose weight just by adjusting your diet. Weights shape your body and keep your body tight. If your working hard enough with weights it will burn calories.
I suggest weights 3 days per week and interval training 20mins 2 days per week.
Goodluck! original.gif

#9 strawberrycakes

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Strict clean diet & weights all the way for me.

I have lost 7kg in just under 5 weeks through diet & weight training 3 days a week only.

Over the past month my body shape has changed dramatically from the weight training.  I do heavy weights too not high rep low weights like pump for eg but heavy body building style training.  IT WORKS.

Years ago I lost 35kg through cardio & in all honesty I may still weigh 20kg more than I did then but my body shape already looks better for eg my arms are smaller & more toned than they have ever been.

Diet essentially is the most important.  I am now addictd to calorie counting.  I count every morsel of food that enters my lips.  If I feel like chocolate I eat a low sugar chocolate & factor it in to my daily calories.

A couple of weeks into my 'diet' I became ill & didn't work out for nearly a fortnight.  I watched my diet very closely & still lost 2.5kg during that time with no exercise at all.

Cardio is important for cardiovascular health & yes it will burn calories but weight training ime & imo gets better results faster original.gif

Edited by strawberrycakes, 08 November 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#10 paula1

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Thanks everyone original.gif
I'm just wondering if there's a layer of fat over the muscle how does this change the shape of the body?
I thought this happened once you have lost some of the weight therefore the muscle definition will be visible??? I have about 12kg or so to lose so I'm wondering if the effort I put in with weights will only show once that weight is lost?
Wdyt?

#11 strawberrycakes

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

I'm just wondering if there's a layer of fat over the muscle how does this change the shape of the body?
I thought this happened once you have lost some of the weight therefore the muscle definition will be visible??? I have about 12kg or so to lose so I'm wondering if the effort I put in with weights will only show once that weight is lost?
Wdyt?
Well yes & no.  Doing weights increases your metabolism so you lose weight faster iykwim.  Weights just keep everything tighter even if you can't see definition yet.

I would much prefer seeing a nice tight body as the fat layers come away rather than being skinny & flabby iykwim. original.gif

#12 paula1

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Yes I know exactly what you mean....just wish this would also help with cellulite!

Edited by paula1, 08 November 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#13 Shanski

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'm not an expert but I have lost 18kg this year and it was wih a combination of calorie counting, cardio everyday and weights and resistance training daily.

I would start on the treadmill and go for about 20min doing tabata intervals. I would then do approx 35 mins of weights interspersed with cardio stuff eg lat pull down, bent over row and burpees 3 times through, chest press, push-ups and mountain climbers 3 times,  barbell bicep curls, hammer curls jump squats 3 times. And finish with a 5min stretch.

I have a different program for legs and arms and I incorporate a few cardio classes at the gym for fun as well.

In my personal experience all 3 things (cardio, diet and weight training) are important but in the words of my trainer she said cardio will drop your weight fast but if you don't have muscle underneath you will still look flabby.

I hope you figure out what works for you and you reach your goals.

#14 kelsta1978

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

Completely agree with what Phoenix Blue said, add little bouts of cardio between your weights like skipping, star jumps etc to get more calorie burn.

I did cardio for years at the gym but never saw a difference until I started doing strength as well.

#15 KiwiMelW

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

Another one to add to the weights training. I do P90X.  Heaps of weights training with reps no more than 8 - 10.  So pretty high weights.

A month before my wedding, I weighed my goal weight 59kilo (havent weighed that since high school!), looked the best I have ever looked in my life and my body had turned into a fat burning machine.

I was even dropping weight on days I wasnt training at all and because I couldnt get my dress altered I actually had to stop training and start eating alot more to stay at that weight.

Once this bubs is out I will be getting back into weight training.

#16 ShelleyFerguson

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

To lose weight, cardio is the best way to burn fat. Weights help, but you burn fat by burning calories, and since you will burn more calories with cardio, that's the way to go.

Cardio alone won't get the job done in the quickest fasion though. Exercise and healthy diet are two sides of the same coin. Both need to be addressed if weight loss is your aim.

#17 strawberrycakes

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

To lose weight, cardio is the best way to burn fat. Weights help, but you burn fat by burning calories, and since you will burn more calories with cardio, that's the way to go.
  Cardio may burn slightly more during the workout but the moment the exercise stops so does the fat burning.
After doing weights the body continues to burn calories up to 36 hours after exercise has stopped.  The more lean muscle you have the higher the metabolism needs to be to burn calories to feed the muscle.
So with that to consider it is why IMO I believe weights is better than cardio.
As I said in an earlier post I have lost 8kg now in just over 5 weeks through clean eating, calorie control & weight training. When I do cardio I ensure that I am doing it on an empty stomach so I am burning fat stores. I also do steady rate cardio, too high an intensity & the body will actually switch off buring fat stores & start burning muscle as the body can break down that 'energy source' easier than the fat stores iykwim.

#18 theb3an

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

weight loss is all about a caloric deficit so you must eat the correct amount of calories according to your age, height, weight and current exercise level.  

cardio is great for blasting overall body fat but when you include strength training into your program, you torch even more calories.  strength training builds lean muscle mass which maximizes calorie burn at rest (and it's what you want).  the type of cardio you do is also important.  an intense 30mins cardio session is more effective than an hour on the treadmill.  HIIT programs are extremely effective because it helps raise your EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) or what is commonly known as "after-burn effect". when you do longer intervals of intense exercise with short recovery periods, you are constantly challenging your body/heart rate, your body requires more energy to return your body to its normal (rest) state therefore,  your body will continue to burn calories after you finish exercising to accomplish this.    this is why programs such as insanity or p90x or turbofire etc are so effective and can transform your body in 3 months or less instead of using conventional cardio methods which can take up to a year.

personally, i would alternate weights and cardio every other day.  i saw the best weight loss results when i started increasing my weight lifting because i was building awesome lean muscle mass.

i also eat clean 100% with zero cheating so this is also a large contributing factor of my weight loss.

Edited by theb3an, 22 November 2012 - 05:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.