Do you have a responsibility to provide toys for your friends kids?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Broxie

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

A friend had a pretty nasty dig at me today for not having toys in my house interesting to her child. He is quite a lot older than mine so the toys we have are a bit babyish for him. I sometimes ask her to bring a DVD to keep her DS entertained while she is here. She comes over around once a month.
It seems from today's comments that she thinks since she's here regularly I should buy age-appropriate toys for her DS. This has never occurred to me before.
When I go out I take toys if I know my DS will need to be entertained.
So my question is; is it my responsibility to provide toys for her DS, or us this an unreasonable expectation on her part?
Am happy to have toys here if it's considered the done thing, just didn't think if it before. What do you think?

#2 B.3

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

After her snarky remark I'd be inclined to stop having her over. Problem solved!!

#3 SugarMumma

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

I think you know the answer already.

Your friend is a twit. The end.

#4 Broxie

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Lol. Ok. I just wasn't sure if it was the norm and I'd missed the memo.

#5 Baggy

I think its odd she thinks like that.

You definitely don't have the responsibility of providing toys for him. If I am going to a friends/family member's house and I know they don't have age-appropriate toys for my two daughters, then I bring some for them.

#6 AnnBB

Well, your friend is an idiot. Tell her to bring her own blooming toys for her own blooming kid. How ridiculous.

#7 TiredbutHappy

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

You need new friends...

#8 Funwith3

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I find it hard to imagine that she ACTUALLY expects you to provide age-appropriate toys for her child. Are you sure her nasty remarks were not just sarcastic humour? Maybe you took it the wrong way? Or maybe there's more to the story, like perhaps you'd been disagreeing about something unrelated prior to this? Does she pay you to look after her son maybe?

I'm trying to give her an out I suppose. Or at least make sense of it. Because it sounds weird. No one expects friends to provide a house full of toys specifically for their children.

#9 strawberrycakes

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

No way is it your responsibilty to have toys on hand for another child.  How rude of her to even suggest that you should.

FTR I don't even expect my parents to have toys at her house to entertain my child.  I took toys to her house that DD rarely plays with anymore at home & she keeps them there for my DD & my niece.

#10 FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Egad, where do some people get off?! Who are these women and what universe do they descend from?

Your friend is a clown. Tell her to BYO her own friggin' chess set!

#11 Broxie

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

She brought a DVD over today for her son to watch. I was getting it out of the DVD player as she was packing up to leave. We'd had a perfectly nice time. She said "we wouldn't have to keep bringing DVDs over if you'd just get some interesting things for him to play with" accompanied by an eyeroll as she grabbed the DVD and put it in her handbag.
She had mentioned over coffee that perhaps I should start going to her place since her son had more fun there, which I said I was happy to do.  shrug.gif

#12 s'peachykeen

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

And yet, despite the fact that our child is 7 weeks old, I've regularly had visitors turn up recently expecting that there will be something in the house capable of entertaining their 2-5yos. People are weird  rolleyes.gif

#13 Liadan

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

A friend of mine who has no children has age appropriate age toys my DD can play with, but she ONLY has these because she has nieces and nephews around the same age that she regularly looks after.

#14 belindarama

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

If I go to someone's house and they don't have kids around my kids' ages I bring my own toys.

My kids, my problem.

She's an idiot.

#15 noi'mnot

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (s'peachykeen @ 06/11/2012, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And yet, despite the fact that our child is 7 weeks old, I've regularly had visitors turn up recently expecting that there will be something in the house capable of entertaining their 2-5yos. People are weird  rolleyes.gif

I've got a friend like this too. I have a 2 year old, she has three aged from 4-8. It is weird, but has taught me to make sure I always have plenty of toys for my child whenever we go somewhere, because I don't want others to have to feel obliged to entertain her.

#16 Cranky Kitten

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

How odd. On the other hand, I have taken to warning people recently that we don't have any "in between" toys available as people seem to make the assumption that because I have an older child as well as a baby that their kids can play with DD's stuff, but she's only here on alternate weekends normally and I don't let people into her room without her permission.

Suggest your friend bring some toys for her own child.

#17 vanessa71

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

When she was giving you the  rolleyes.gif, you should have asked her very matter of factly why she thinks you should provide toys for him when he could easily bring some of his own.

#18 namie

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

I agree with the PPs. I don't have anything beyond my DS1s age so anyone older needs to bring their own entertainment.
I always take toys for my kids to play with if we're going somewhere there won't be things to interest them. Mind you, I'm lucky to leave the house without them bringing something whether they need to or not!

#19 sa5ha

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

I don't know what alternate reality your friend lives in, but there is no way you have any obligation or responsibility to provide toys for her child to play with!

#20 hayzee fantayzee

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (vanessa71 @ 06/11/2012, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When she was giving you the  rolleyes.gif, you should have asked her very matter of factly why she thinks you should provide toys for him when he could easily bring some of his own.

This.
How rude of your friend. How hard would it be to ask the boy to gather up some of his favourite toys to bring over?

#21 codswallop

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

It might be easier to go to her home in future, but if that is an example of how she behaves, would you want to??

On the other hand I do keep a tub of baby and toddler toys for small visitors.  They were all favourites of DS and are still ok and safe to play with, and I get enormous pleasure from watching my friends' little ones enjoy them too.  But I'm a sentimental old fool.

Your friend sounds awful.  Sorry.

#22 bebe12

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi,

This was worth a good laugh.  I have a dd11 and a new ds (i have oldest and youngest child of my friends), so toys that are to old or to young for most.  I do have a spare toy box with odd toys from when dd was younger.

It you want to show that you have a toy apropriate for his age get a ball. just make sure that he know not to use it in the house.  That way you have tried, but when tshe complains you can point out you don't know about what intrest that age group yet, and as bonus it s still useable your your child.

#23 rachel*t*p

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have bag of toys in our car that
I keep there permanently for when we are out and about. They are all things I don't mind losing or breaking, but I find that if we are at someone else's house the kids like to play with the Toysthere even if they are not age appropriate as it seems to be more fun to play with something new and different.

Edited by rachel*t*p, 06 November 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#24 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hmm. I think I would be telling her that your home is not a creche for all ages and she should think to bring something appropriate with.

#25 Tobias'smum

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

i always take toys fr ds just in case and when people come over if they have younger kids i put some of the little baby unsafe toys away (not a lot as ds is ony 20 months) but i will mention to parents with older kids to bring toys or dvd  to entertain them

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.