Rate his/our choices
Not agreeing on names

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 gypsey

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Hi ladies I have 2 beautiful children and we are going to TTC #3 original.gif

DH let me pick their names, I was very set in my choices and I think after bad pregnancies and births he felt bad lol

However he has decided that this time its his choice!!! aaaahhhhh Tounge1.gif
I can see his point he did let me name our other and wasnt his first pick of names (of course he doesnt mind now)
Problem is im really not keen on his name choice sad.gif
(we actually agree on a boy name YAY but not the girls)

His fave name is ...

Hailey (spelt like that I actually dont mind the spelling not my top pick though, but its the name im not fond of)

Ive been through a BIG list of girls names that I like to see if he likes any too but he says no to everything.
The only names of mine he didnt mind were Penny and Indy (he liked Indy!) but he doesnt like the lengthened versions of indy)
So im wanting to know out of these names what order would you put them in if you dislike them etc could you still put them in order please id really love to see what you think
Also any suggestions of longer versions of Indy to talk to my DH about original.gif
NN would definately be indy though
Oh I havent mentioned my other kids names as I dont want anyone to know we are TTC soon I honestly dont mind if they dont make the perfect sibset they are both modern names but not unique

Hailey
Indy
Penny

Thanks heaps

Edited by gypsey, 06 November 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#2 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

I would let him have his Hailey. It's not a bad name.

#3 bluedragon

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

I dislike all of them TBH, Indy is the only one that is almost ok but only as a nn.

Possible longer forms are:

Indira
India
Indigo

I'm not putting Indiana on the list as its personally one of my most disliked names (sorry to all the parents of an Indiana, no offence meant).

#4 la di dah

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

I love Penny but only as a NN for Penelope.

I like Halle more than Hailey.

I like Indigo. For that matter I also like Indy for Lucinda or Jacinda, but I don't know if anyone else would go for that, I grew up sawing the fronts off of names for NNs instead of the ends.

#5 kerilyntaryn

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hayley - I prefer this spelling
Indy - full name India, indira, Indiana?
Penny - the full name to be Penelope though

#6 gypsey

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thanks ladies I wont push him to much on this as he did let me name our older 2 original.gif
But he doesnt mind Penny and Indy so thought I might push a bit lol

Im not big on Indiana and nor is DH. I dont like Indira enough to use it. I will suggest India and Indigo to him (I really like india!!)

#7 gypsey

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Oh I dont think he would go for using Indy as a nn for names like Lucinda he would prefer things like Indigo I think.....have to choose my battles haha

Thanks for the replies

#8 idignantlyright

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Let him have his Hailey. You got your 2, and his is really not that bad.

#9 Buggylicious

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Let him have his way, he let you have your way.

#10 Baggy

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I actually love Penny. I think it is really cute.

I prefer Hailey spelt Hayley. But only because Hayley is my name and I can't imagine it being spelt any other way Tounge1.gif

I don't like Indy. But I do like Indigo.

#11 CheekyBuggers

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Lol. I'm having this problem. If its a girl dh is adamit he gets to pick the name. (I've already got a boys name that had for yrs) though he wants things like summer, rayne. :/

#12 Luxe

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

You made him 'cave' on the name choice of your first two, and  despite saying he can name this one, your trying to bend him again and yet you call him stubborn.  rolleyes.gif

Edited by Luxe, 06 November 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#13 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

I only like Hayley, with this spelling.

Others I like at the moment are:

Juliet
Rhiannon
Emily
Amelia
Celeste
Estelle
Laura
Clare
Hannah
Ella
Felicity
Freya
Zara
Ruby

What are your other kids names?

#14 Wigglemama

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

If you are going to use his choice, please spell it Hayley. That is the traditional spelling, any other way is an Americanised version or not even the name (such as Haley or Halle). I think it is miles better than Indy or Penny. It's certainly a name that has got me through life unscathed.  wink.gif Be fair to your dh. You chose names that he had to "come around to", I think you should stop being stubborn yourself and do the same.

#15 Eeyolet

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

My niece is Indiana Hailey so that gets my vote original.gif

#16 JillyJellyBean

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

I have a good friend called Hayley (yes spelling is different) and she is such an angel I associate the name with all things good. I would go with it. Maybe choose a nn you really like.

#17 Gudrun

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hailey is an OK name.  Don't mind the spelling.  Dislike the other two a lot.    Indira or Indris, if you would consider them, are for me very appealing names.

Indris
Indira

Hailey

Penny (I'll put it ahead because of Penny Wong!)
Indy

ETA India/Indigo/Indiana are strongly NMS.  So if you don't like Indira I would go Indris and if you don't like that, Hailey would sit in front. I regard the spelling as perfectly legit, modern surname-derived as per Hayley.

Edited by Gudrun, 06 November 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#18 Bel Rowley

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

I prefer Hailey to Indy or Penny, but I do love Penelope with Penny as a nickname. I would probably let him use Hailey.

#19 emlis22

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

I could never imagine using or making my DP use a name that one of us hated. So if you despise the name, speak up. If you like it enough, but it's just not your favourite, it might be best to let him have this one!

Whilst Hayley is a preferable spelling, Hailey is fine and I also know a Haylee.

Penny is nice for Penelope and I'm not a fan of Indy. Especially spelled like that. India or Indigo NN Indi/Indie I could do.

#20 *little-rach*

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

My DD1 is Indianna with nn Indi. So this is my favourite.
I like Hailey though and don't mind this spelling.
I really dislike Penny, Penelope etc.

#21 gypsey

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Luxe @ 06/11/2012, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You made him 'cave' on the name choice of your first two, and  despite saying he can name this one, your trying to bend him again and yet you call him stubborn.  rolleyes.gif

Oh im very stubborn lol we have a great marriage and we are not fighting over this etc (just thought id add that lol)

I havent crossed Hailey off the list I wouldnt do that but would like to try and find a name he likes more and hopefully I like too original.gif

He doesnt like Indiana but will run India and Indigo past him tonight
He would prefer Indy on its own

Thank you all original.gif

#22 BabyBumbleBee

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hailey is a million times better than Indy or Penny as a full name.

#23 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

I much prefer Hailey to Penny and Indy - even with probably my least preferred way of spelling Hailey it beats out the other two by a mile.

Even if it didn't though, I agree with PPs that you chose two names he really didn't like, so if you've agreed to let him name the third, then let him name the third without trying to pressure him into choosing from your list! IMO it's a bit disrespectful to discard his wishes for the first two and insist he listens to yours when it's his choice.

FWIW I would rank them as follows:

Hailey

(insert 1,000 randomly chosen names here)

Penny

(insert another 1,000 names)

Indy

#24 Wildence

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

my partner is super stubborn too! good luck
as for the names i like Hailey from above 3.

#25 gypsey

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

Thanks ladies original.gif
If DH really hated our kids names he wouldnt have let me use them he just didnt like them anywhere near as much as others! There is no pressure we are not fighting etc about it. But if I can find a name he likes better I will!!!!!
Nothing wrong with that, if there isnt one then we will use Hailey (he likes this spelling the best and I dont really mind the spelling too much) but he said he does like Indy so I dont feel bad pushing for it a bit. He has chosen the boy name and im happy with that one even if its not one I love. I just dont like the name Hailey much at all. Plenty of time to think about it original.gif DH might think of a completely new name by then. He tends to find names he likes in movies! He found the boy nae and Hailey through movies original.gif
FWIW our daughter has his nannas name in her name so wasnt a completey onesided choice
Oh I should add I havent said yes its completely your choice to name the baby I was thinking more of come up with a list of your faves and we will pick one off that but if he finds a name I like too then go ahead !! If he had said no I really really dislike it I would have never have used our childrens names.
Anyway im not going to sa anymore about that its up to me and my DH to decide that!! I would love opinions on the actual names though and so would he original.gif
Thanks for the replies original.gif

Edited by gypsey, 07 November 2012 - 12:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.