#2 insomniac

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Gold

#3 mards

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Silver!!

#4 Snagglepussed

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

As I am self-diagnosed Pathological Gym membership singer-upperer......I have often wondered why gyms tie us into contracts!

What do you guys all think?

I am seeing a lot of new-style No contract, No Joining Fee gyms popping up and love it - appeals to my addictive behaviour! LOL

What works for you?
Am curious to see why I am how I am! Non-committal me! LOL

#5 insomniac

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

I'm not on a contract, I pay fortnightly. Going to the gym is part of my routine now so I don't have any trouble getting there!

Feeling quite sore and tired today. Did a mix at RPM was really good.

Just planted some celery and eggplant seedlings and an avocado tree this afternoon. Yum.

#6 Tea~for~two

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

I found signing up for a 12 month contract and paying weekly motivated me to go more often - as I hate paying for something I don't use!

Otherwise most if the gyms in my area offer class passes without having to sign a contract - maybe that could work for you?

Good luck!

#7 mards

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

I just pay fortnightly! - no contract - so i can pause it at any time - Just found out that a guy from our gym is opening up a new cross fit gym in Jan!! - it is in the same street as where my dd goes to gymnastics 3 arvos a week!! - So guess who is going to get into Xfit - MOI!! - so excited!! - am a bit over my gym - been going now 7 years - and think i really need a change

#8 kadoodle

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

I pay 6 monthly and have it as my birthday present and Christmas present.  I prefer a contract as it works out cheaper and I don't have to pay to get in to watch the kids' swimming lessons.

Did CX today, have had a week off with sick kids.  So I dare say I'll be nice and sore tomorrow for pump.

Mards - I'm so jealous!  I'm gagging to try Xfit, but my closest is Bundoora, which is 3/4 of an hour away sad.gif

#9 CupOfCoffee

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

I have just joined a 24 hour gym (not on a contract).  I am enjoying its simplicity, I am going 5:30 in the morning, working out, going home and showering and then going to work.

I am making myself go a minimum 3 times a week, but aiming for 4 times a week.  

Crossfit looks like it would be lots of fun (but everyone looks so fit so I need to do some regular exercise first  blush.gif

#10 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

I was on a 12 month contract, but 2 years on I am still there using it 5 or 6 times a week.

As I am new to this thread I will just introduce myself. I am 31 and a single mum to my 3 year old. I find the gym is a great outlet for me, as I get an hour 'off' being a mum.

My gym week is typically Monday pt focussing on weights, Tuesday and Wednesday is Body Combat, which is my favourite class! Thursday is a weights session, Friday is yoga and Saturday is weights.

We are in the mixing stage of combat and wow, my poor shocked body!

Look forward to getting to know you all.

#11 mesaana

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

I signed up to a no contract membership last December.  I have been going every week, and loving it - so no problems.  But recently they had a special where membership was $12.50 per week instead of what I pay of $15.50. I enquired into whether I could switch to the cheaper membership and was told my contract didn't run out till December!  WTF.  I haven't had time to chase up the paperwork they gave me last Dec, but I'm quite p*ssed about it all.

#12 insomniac

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hi to the all the new people.

I did Balance today, still having a few problems with my ankle and found it quite hard doing standing strength and balance  sad.gif Might have to go the physio.

Took DD to her first karate lesson last night, she loved it, though is not keen at all on wearing the white Gi. See how she goes next week before we sign up.

Have a nice quiet arvo planned, kids have the new Tinkerbell to watch.

#13 Placebo

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

insomniac  It is going to be tough in the "balance" track of Bodybalance.  I would try the higher option for a couple of seconds then take the foot to the floor.  Build the strength back up that way.  And yes, probably be a good idea to see a physio to ascertain if there's more damage than you think.  At least they can get the TENS machine on it.  

I've had a psychotic teaching day today.  Every nut-job is out and about, and at my class/es.  99% of Group participants are wonderful to teach, but some days you get that 1% allllll day!  I still have one class to go, fingers crossed no-one crazy turns up.  I think I've earned my wine-night tonight!!

As for gym memberships.  Due to the fact I instruct, I have free access to all the gyms I have a permanent class in.  Which is great, but I often don't have time to go.  When I do, I get interrupted constantly.  It's the nature of the game unfortunately, and I would never tell someone to go away.  But it makes it hard to work-out for myself.  I ended up joining the 24hr gym just at the bottom of my street.  It's great, I go and work-out, no-one knows me, I can do my own thing.  Sometimes I just go and use the big mirrors to practice my Bodybalance alignment, and there's no-one else there - wonderful  original.gif

#14 kadoodle

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

What sort of crazies do you get in your classes, Insomniac?  I've never come across any, apart from the gym bunnies in full make up who just paddle along and don't raise a sweat.

i was a hot mess at the end of Pump today.  A mash-up of 83 and 59.  I keep waiting for the hovers to get easier, but so far no luck.

#15 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Ha kadoodle, I had one of them next to me in combat on Wednesday, it was soooo frustrating, I just wanted to scream mooovvveeeee!

I had yoga today working on hip flexors which is about the only part of me that is flexible.

#16 ShelleyFerguson

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

Hi all,

Here is my tip to burn fat the quickest way possible on the treadmill:

Warm up first obviously.

60 seconds at level 7 (or whatever is a decent-fast pace for you)
30 seconds 1.5 (walking pace)

Repeat this for 15 minutes.

Then immediately afterwards, 15 minutes jogging at lvl 4-5.

The first 15 minutes is standard HIIT, which releases fatty acids into your bloodstream, then the second 15 minutes at aerobic pace burn the fatty acids before they get absorbed back into your fat cells.

Try it - trust me it works!

#17 mards

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

LOL we have some Funnies at our gym!!! feel a bit mean though saying that but its true!! - We also have the lady there in all things LJ with her matchy matchy shoes to every bloody outfit she has!! She ofcourse looks amazing - but honestly its infuriating LOL! - i am just your average JOE in average Kmart attire - think im a little jelous - am loving unemployment - LOL!  nah its ok bit boring but getting to the gym has been great. I have just put my Resume in at a CURVES fitness place - you dont even need cert 3 to work there - it is taking peeps through the circuit - it is an hour drive away though - who knows i MAY get a phone call - it sounds fun..???

#18 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

I have to admit I am a matchy matchy person at the gym, but I can only afford one pair of trainers. But I don't wear make up, I would sweat it off in 2 minutes!

Had my pt session today, increased my leg presses to 80kg which I am happy about, means I have doubled the weight in 3 months, going to try to get to 100kg by the end of the next3 months.

#19 mards

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Woops I so did not mean to put matchy matchy peeps down!! - its just that i think know this person has about 15 pairs of asics!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! i could only dream!!

#20 insomniac

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Haha, nothing wrong with matchy people! My clothes are mostly black, so easy to match. No real freaky people at our classes either. There is a bunch of skinny, fit looking early 20's girls with big boobs who we think are all barmaids.

Went to Pump this morning and didn't want to stay for CX so I didn't! Realllly need a good back and shoulder massage. I can feel the knots moving at the top of my back when I push on it.

placebo Jealous you have a gym at the end of your street.

#21 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Ooh now I'm jealous too! I got my Asics from the UK and they only cost me $100, including shipping.

There was a funny poser guy at my gym the other day. He would do one rep of each upper body exercise, taking up all the equipment, he would do one rep, pose around then do something else. He had a good upper body but massive love handles lol

#22 Golden oldie

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

Wow, it's been extra quiet in here? Hopefully it's not because you are all taking my lead and seriously undoing all of your hard work sad.gif Waaaaaaaa.

I need a swift kick up the a*se. Anyone want to give it to me?

I've got to say that I did GRIT Strength the other day. I absolutely-fricken-loved-it!!!! It's my style of training. I would love for it to be my next program, but the way it is done is not a normal LM thing. Mostly aimed at PT's I think. Anyway, I'm happy to participate original.gif

Mards Sooooo jealous of your Coldplay photos. Heaps of my friends are going this week, but I missed out on tickets. Did you her back from Curves?

Heaps of posers at my gym too, but thankfully they all tend to stay in what I call Man Land - where all the big heavy weights are. I venture in there sometimes, but only during the day when all of the posers are posing at work and uni wink.gif . Lots of pretty-pretty girls and ladies, but most of them are quite nice. I have one that comes to my RPM class, perfect hair, makeup, bright red lipstick. And she leaves the class looking exactly the same as she did when she walked in. I have to resist getting off my bike and pushing her gears up.

What a strange weekend weather-wise today. huge storms yesterday, and storms again this morning. It was quite eerie for a while.

Have a great week everyone original.gif

#23 beaglebaby

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

The most matchy thing about my gym outfits is that they are drenched in sweat!  I can't wear make up either, it just doesn't stay.  I literally drip sweat everywhere if the class is full on.  No posers allowed at our gym - honestly, if they think you aren't there for the right reason they boot you out - advantage of being small and very hands on.

I'm getting back on track, I let my weight creep up a bit and got into some bad food habits, so I'm being tough with myself.  I was going to have an easy week this week as I was really sore after lots of treadmill running during the telethon challenge at the gym (they smashed it and made lots of money) but I've ended up doing 4 classes, 2 mainly cardio, 2 with heavy weights and a bit of cardio. They just got a x trainer and one of the stair machines at the gym so they are murdering us with them!

I was feeling good about all that working out, then yesterday we got rear ended on the freeway, back of the car is a mess and my neck and shoulders hurt.  Hopefully they'll settle quickly, I've had whiplash before and it doesn't seem as bad at the moment, but I know it can be 48 hours - like DOMS!!  Might go for a gentle swim, spa and sauna this afternoon to keep things moving.

Mards, Hope you get the work at Curves, just watch that they aren't wanting you to be a membership sales person in disguise!  

OPS, I was going to ask where you got the ASICs from, but considering I currently have about 5 pairs of shoes ranging from old but OK through to still in the box I think I shouldn't ask!

Jode - Turn up the resistance on her bike - go on, you know you really want to and it's for her own good.  (So says my trainer when she adds her own resistance on the leg press or hammy curl - she says she's helping - helping me get a better bum!)

#24 mards

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Oh Jodes - Coldplay was UNBELIEVABLE!!

And no havnt heard back from curves - playing a waiting game - being jobless is OK but not great - just looking/looking!

Last week we were the house of sick - and i was glad to not have to go at work as i had both kids off school on different days..

Back to pump in the morning - OH JODES - i need a good swift kick up the bum - am really enjoying the goodlife - and i see a slippery slope ahead of me!)  chrissy drinks/parties etc!!!

Anyway! hopefully will get a job ASAP! and get into a routine

#25 insomniac

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

Well not much to report here! I have been concentrating on Pump, Balance, RPM and running intervals on the tready at home. Did RPM this morning and haven't sweated so much in a long time!

Other than that, been busy ferrying the kids around to swimming/jazz/acrobatics/karate and the rest of the crapola that goes with this time of year. DD has acrobatics soon so better get moving.

beaglebaby - hope you're feeling okay now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.