Experienced parents, I need advice!
What r=arethe long-term effects of sleep associations?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SlowLoris

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi,

My 6 month old DD has a big suck-to-sleep sleep association. She will sleep in her cot for her first night sleep (~2 hours), but won't go back and ends up in our bed.
During the night she wakes 3-8 times, often just for a quick two minute suckle. She also kicks and flails around the bed (super active sleeper). I'm not attached to co-sleeping (Id rather she slept in her cot), but it seems to be the only way I can get any sleep at all.

I'm posting in this forum because I'd like to hear from parents who were once in a similar situation. How did things turn out?

Did you end up doing some form of sleep training (which system? were you happy with the results)?

If not, did your child eventually learn to sleep on her own? When?

With the benefit of hind sight, what would you have done differently?

The thing is, aside from a few particularly bad nights, I am ok with our current situation. Yes, she wakes up a lot, but I've gotten pretty good at falling back to sleep quickly. As far as I can tell, it isn't having a negative impact on my job, my mental health, or my relationship. Although I would like her to sleep through the night, I can handle the current situation for another 6 months if need be. But most of the sleep books I've read emphasize the importance of babies learning to self-settle, and I don't want to make things harder for her down the track, just because I've found an easy way to get extra sleep. I also don't want things to get worse...

Please, any advice/insight you have would be GREATLY appreciated.

#2 ausmumof2

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Similar here, they only really slept through when I weaned them at around 2 and a half.  I did briefly try some sleep training with DS1, which resulted in him crying so much he vomited all over the cot, so I wouldn't go there again myself.  Others will have had different experiences.

I was so sure that with bubs 2 I wouldn't feed to sleep, but it turns out it wasn't a learned sleep association, but an innate one I think.  I tried to get her to sleep by rocking or any other way and in the end by around four months feeding was pretty much the only way, and the same with my current DS.

Most of the mums I know whose bubs fall asleep in the cot use a dummy, so they still have a suck to sleep association its just that they give bubs something else to suck other than mum.

Personally I would ignore the baby books unless its a problem for you.  I stressed so much with the first bubs because all the books were wrong and something needed fixing.  I now  believe that it was just normal natural behaviour.  If you're not coping then you can change something but if you're only worried because of what baby "should" be doing, then don't worry...

#3 caitiri

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think you'll probably get a mixed set of responses because every child is different.  I co sleep my kids are crappy sleepers but it works for us.  My sister had a strict own room policy and used controlled crying her kid is a crappy sleeper as well but what they do works for them.

My oldest can sleep by himself, but he doesn't really want to and we don't really make him.

ETA just to clarify despite the different approaches they are still all bad sleepers

Edited by caitiri, 03 November 2012 - 11:04 AM.

#4 WYSIWYG

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

DD2 was in our bed from birth, and I had absolutely no issues with it because it was the only way I'd get sufficient sleep. Eventually at about 6-8 months old, when it started to get hotter as Summer approached, she didn't seem to want to sleep in our bed anymore and went into her cot with no issues. I think we did get lucky, though.

One of my friends has her 5, 4 and 1 year old in bed with her still, as its the only way she can get sleep and stay sane.

#5 nen-c

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I think it is the old story of "its only a problem when it is a problem". We were in a similar situation with DS (now 2.5). I did get him out of our bed at the 4-month mark as it was impacting DP too much, but he was still waking multiple times and only resettling with a feed. I think at about 12 months I night weaned I gave him a little milk in a cup and then patted his bottom til he slept - generally more than once per night.  Even at 2.5 he is still up once about 50% of nights, but he goes back to sleep generally very quickly after we put him back in bed. He is just not a good sleeper (his dad is also a very light sleeper and slept badly as a child so it isn't that surprising really)

I tried lots of systems and read lots of books, nothing really helped much, any kind of crying method (where I left the room) did not work as he would very quickly get very worked up and bang his head on the cot and then get so hysterical that it would take an hour to calm him down (with cuddling) enough to go to sleep.

So with the benefit of hindsight I would not wasted time trying different methods of "Sleep training" when he would reliably go back to sleep after feeding or with patting or whatever comfort method I was using then. With him it was just a matter of riding it out and doing what I could to maximise our sleep while he was very young.  So I don't think that going with what they need makes it harder for them in the long run. Yes they eventually do need to learn to sleep without a feed, but a time comes when they don't need it any more, or they are older so it is easier to break the association.

It is worth noting that even when I was feeding him to sleep, or there was a stage where he wouldn't have his day sleeps in his cot - (I rocked him to sleep in the pram) he was at family daycare and they were able to get him to sleep there without a breastfeed, although I think they did use the pram a bit if he was being difficult.

He does now sleep on his own, he is definitely getting better....but for us time was the only real fix.

To give you some hope I now have an 8 week old DD who is such an easy baby, one O/N wake up and sleeps beautifully during the day in her bassinet. At the same age DS wouldn't sleep anywhere except on/with me day and night, and regularly had nights where he barely slept at all.

#6 jayta

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

We have been having a suck-sleep association problem for a long time now. I did Pantley Pull Offs at about 8months to stop DD needing to fall asleep with the boob in her mouth. Now she usually sucks till ready for sleep, rolls over and goes to sleep.

However, at 12months she still wakes all through the night. About 8 times a night at the moment. I dont have to stay awake long (usually just a few mins) but the continual wakeups are finally catching up with me and having an affect. It's hard for me to concentrate at work and I feel tired a lot. I coped ok for about 11months, but this last month it has just been getting harder to deal with.

I think I am going to have to night wean to solve the problem. I hope to continue co-sleeping but if that doesnt work then DD will have to move into the cot.

I have a referral to our local sleep help place and will see what they say. We also have problems with day sleeps, as she will only catnap for 30mins and it is simply not enough sleep. Unless of course I nurse her and she will sleep for 1.5-2 hours

#7 SlowLoris

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Thank you for the responses!

Jayta, what you are describing is exactly what I am concerned about. I am fine now, but I wonder what will happen if she is still waking up 6 times a night 6 months from now? I've also been considering getting a referral to Tresillian...has anyone had any experience with them? Did they help?

#8 Froger

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

All my children have been fully breastfed, and they were all fed to sleep. It wasn't a problem for me so we just continued feeding to sleep until they stopped of their own accord - which was probably inbetween 1 and 2 years for most of them. I found they still woke up quite a few times in the night until they were about 12 months (sometimes every hour or more!) and then still at least once (or even twice) a night until about 2 and a half years. I do have my young children in my bed at night though, so it wasn't an inconvenience for me to feed them back to sleep.

If it isn't a problem for either of you, it isn't a problem. Children eventually learn to put themselves back to sleep at night. Even adults still wake in the night, it is just learning the ability to go back to sleep by yourself that is what eventually comes to all of us, some later than others.

#9 jayta

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

If it wasnt for our bad day sleeps then I would probably just continue on with the night wakings and feeding back to sleep. But as DD moves to 1 sleep a day, 30mins just simply isnt enough and I worry about her brain development. I know she will sleep much longer if I am with her, so the 30mins is due to her not being able to transition to the next cycle, not because she only wants to sleep 30mins.

Tresillian is not an option for us as I wont do CC. If the local place suggests it, then I will have to walk away. I am hoping they will work with me to develop other strategies, like patting and gradual withdrawal of parental assistance.

#10 BaduBJ

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Hi SlowLoris! My advice would be not to rush into sleep training yet. This is exactly what my DS was like at 6 months. At 7 months he went into a cot in his own room and still woke 3-4 times (but less than when he was in with us- turns out we were disturbing him). I fed him back to sleep everytime, using a comfy couch beside his cot. At 10 months we started ignoring his cry, but going in if he got louder and more upset and by 11 months he was sleeping through (9:30pm to 6 am) most nights, even though he was always fed to sleep. at 12 months I would get him ready for bed (bath, pjs, stories), breastfeed him, then put him in the cot, so sometimes he went in there already asleep, and other times he went in awake but relaxed. at 15 months he was only feeding before his afternoon sleep and before bed and he weaned himself at 16 months ( i was 3 months pregnant by then). At 20 months he goes to sleep in his cot without any support- He likes me to sit by the bed, but it's usually only 5 minutes and i dont do anything, so its quite relaxing. He sleeps from 8:30 to 6:30 every night unless he is sick, and 1.5 to 3 hours during the day.

In Short: If it's not a problem for you/DH then it's not a problem

Can you address things that might disturb your child (noise/bumping into things)

Its OK to have "sleep associations"- most adults do (shower/ cuppa/ read), but you can gradually move from infant (sucking/rocking)towards more age appropriate (pjs, stories, cuddles) sleep associations.

Google "Pinky McKay" for humane ways to help your child transition to being an independent sleeper. She is an experienced midwife and lactation consultant

#11 BaduBJ

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hi SlowLoris! My advice would be not to rush into sleep training yet. This is exactly what my DS was like at 6 months. At 7 months he went into a cot in his own room and still woke 3-4 times (but less than when he was in with us- turns out we were disturbing him). I fed him back to sleep everytime, using a comfy couch beside his cot. At 10 months we started ignoring his cry, but going in if he got louder and more upset and by 11 months he was sleeping through (9:30pm to 6 am) most nights, even though he was always fed to sleep. at 12 months I would get him ready for bed (bath, pjs, stories), breastfeed him, then put him in the cot, so sometimes he went in there already asleep, and other times he went in awake but relaxed. at 15 months he was only feeding before his afternoon sleep and before bed and he weaned himself at 16 months ( i was 3 months pregnant by then). from then on  he goes to sleep in his cot without any support- He likes me to sit by the bed, but it's usually only 5 minutes and i dont do anything, so its quite relaxing. He sleeps from 8:30 to 6:30 every night unless he is sick, and 1.5 to 3 hours during the day.

In Short: If it's not a problem for you/DH then it's not a problem

Can you address things that might disturb your child (noise/bumping into things)

Its OK to have "sleep associations"- most adults do (shower/ cuppa/ read), but you can gradually move from infant (sucking/rocking)towards more age appropriate (pjs, stories, cuddles) sleep associations.

Google "Pinky McKay" for humane ways to help your child transition to being an independent sleeper. She is an experienced midwife and lactation consultant

#12 meerac

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hi
My boy had a suck to sleep association from about 4-5 months onwards. I initially stressed about long term consequences, but it worked for us really well until he was about 1. At this stage he started daycare, got a string of colds, teething etc, so his sleep got really disturbed and he was waking four times a night. I was working part time by then, and it really started to wear me down.
So at about fourteen months we did sleep training via "The Gift of Sleep", which is basically the Ferber method. It worked like an absolute charm! He had one disturbed night that my husband handled (I wore noise canceling headphones to avoid stressing out); then has been a pretty excellent sleeper in the five months since then (aside from a couple of sick nights or teething). So I night weaned at fourteen months, and then fully weaned a month or so later. And before weaning we added a strong bedtime routine of bath, story, lullaby, feed; so that it was less of a big thing when the night feed went.

It probably helped that daycare had gotten him used to napping on his own (this also happened really easily, despite my pre-daycare fears). And all kids are different, it may have just been the right time and the right method for my boy. Also since I've weaned, there's no going back, so sometimes we just use other sleep associations like patting or lullabies, if he's sick or teething and waking in the middle of the night. And then do a little refresher sleep training after he's better, if it looks like he's becoming dependent on us again.

I had no problems feeding him to sleep while he was sleeping well, and before I was working. But this stopped working for me later as I was getting really tired and sick; and I haven't looked back since (although I miss all the free calories from breastfeeding!).

Edited by meerac, 06 November 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#13 libbylu

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

If you are coping then I would put up with a bit longer.  The main thing that would make a difference is night weaning, but I think 6 months is probably too young for that.  10 months + would probably be more reasonable.  We persisted to about 14 months and then night weaned and did controlled comforting (ala the 'Sleep Right Sleep Tight' method, which was very effective.  He slept through 5 nights out of 7 for nearly 12 months after that, but in general is still a bad sleeper, taking a long time to settle and still waking about half of the nights at age 6.
I agree with some others that some kids are just good at self settling and others aren't and I'm not sure that you can really 'fix' them with either a full attachment meet their needs type parenting nor a harsh sleep training routine.

#14 Dionysus

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

We had a pretty good routine going with DD - bath, book, bottle/boob, cuddle..

If she didn't go down easily, I cuddled/rocked/patted/fed to sleep, but tried to keep the order/routine the same.  

She dropped her morning nap at 12 months, and that seemed to switch everything 'on' - 2-3hr nap in the day 11/12 hours straight overnight.

From 6 months to 12 months it was hit and miss as to whether she would self-settle or not.  I always gave her the opportunity, but never stressed if I had to assist.

Now, at 3 years old, she is a fantastic sleeper and has been for at least 2 years.

But...she still has a dummy!

#15 MrsW87

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

My DS1 was a horrible sleeper. It was nothing for me to be up with him 10-15 times a night up until he was 14 months. We tried everything (except the controlled crying methods) but in the end, it was him learning to do it himself in his own time. Literally the day he hit 14 months, he slept 8-8, with a 3 hour nap at 11am. He then continued to sleep 8-8 up until recently when DS2 has been starting the day at 530, so of course because something is going on DS1 has to be up  biggrin.gif However he still has a 3 hour nap during the day.

My DS2 is 9 months old and we are still having the same problems as you. He is a dream to settle during the day, and will do 2x2 hour naps, morning and afternoon with no resettles. Will also settle beautifully for the first part of his sleep which is usually 6pm-10pm ish, then its up and down until I get too tired and put him in bed with me, which then makes him want to feed on and off all night because the boobie is right there.

After DS1 I have just learnt to accept it... He will sleep when he is ready.

#16 XieXie

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

My two were kinda normal to average sleepers initially (waking every 3-4 hours) and then some time after the 4 month mark their sleep started deteriorating. With DD I only lasted two weeks of her waking every two hours before I started cracking up and in desperation started to implement a routine and taught her to self settle using methods based on the Save Our Sleep book.

DS I lasted over a month and could not believe his sleep could get any worse but by the time I cracked he was waking every hour, and then came the horror night where he woke every 40 minutes (or more) - for 12 hours!!! The very next day I got rid of his dummy and started implementing the self settling. Both of them started sleeping better within days.

Now at 2, DD is an excellent sleeper 7pm-7am every night - no wake ups (unless sick or something) since she was probably about one. DS now at 6.5 months is finally becoming a great sleeper too - goes to sleep (naps and at night) usually within a minute now on his own. If he takes longer or starts to get upset I pick him up and pat him to sleep and he falls to sleep very quickly. His modus operandi most nights now is 7pm-6.30pm with a dreamfeed at 10.30 and only one other wake up in the night.

I know there are some on here who will say the Save Our Sleep book is akin to child abuse or something but it really isn't. If you read the book thoroughly and are consistent it really is quite a neat and gentle method and results in less crying overall, more sleeping and happier babies and parents! That's my experience. Sure it won't work for some babies, but it worked for mine.

#17 MrsW87

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Can I just add, that at 2.5 DS1 still has his dummy and teddy to go to sleep!

#18 fun_fairz

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (XieXie @ 06/11/2012, 10:34 PM)
15057256[/url]']

I know there are some on here who will say the Save Our Sleep book is akin to child abuse or something but it really isn't. If you read the book thoroughly and are consistent it really is quite a neat and gentle method and results in less crying overall, more sleeping and happier babies and parents! That's my experience. Sure it won't work for some babies, but it worked for mine.

Worked for my kids too and for most of my friends. I do think people take too literally, I used it as a basis for a routine, alongside babybliss, and it worked wonders. I did not have to do CC and i only know two people who have taken this route, one using SOS or similar and one who had no routine. Both did it in desperation!

#19 nugnugs

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

My daughter is 19 months, still has a sucking to sleep association and has been waking up 5+ times a night for 11 months.

I tried to 'sleep train' her around 7 months. I have tried so many different books to assist with her sleep. Most of them just made things worse. She will continually vomit if we put her near her cot after trying to CC. She is also afraid of "twinkle twinkle little star" after trying to following the DreamBaby Guide.

I was at my wits end when she was waking up 10x a night and my SIL gave me The Baby Sleep Book, by William and Martha Sears. It has been a lifesaver. It didn't change anything except my attitude towards the night wakings, and gave me an insight into why it is occuring, but I am less stressed about it now and DD seems to be sleeping much better at night.

#20 cabbagepatch

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

My DD was a really less than average day sleeper and would wake 2-3 times a night, so not too bad but enough to be draining...

At about 11 months she dropped to one day sleep (which lasted 2 hrs) and only woke once overnight at about 3/4am... by 14 months she just started to sleep through on her own, I did nothing differently it was just a matter of her needing time to do it on her own... At 16 months I weaned her due to being 13 wks pregnant with #2... She is now a fantastic sleeper and 90% of the time will just roll over cuddle her teddy and fall asleep - we have never used a dummy... (not that there is anything wrong with them, DD just wouldn't take one)

TBH at 6 months if it isn't a real problem, give them time... they do learn!

Not sure if you have tried it, but can you give a dreamfeed before they wake after the initial night sleep? might give them the cuddle and top up they need to last that little bit longer... it usually takes at least a week to see results but might be worth a shot???

#21 Natttmumm

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

It comes down to what each Parent is happy with. Don't change what you do because of what others say.your baby is an individual and might not do what their kids did.
I have 2 girls both very different.
DD1 was a horrible sleeper and it did impact on us badly she woke at least 10 times a night every night. We tried everything and every book and even sleep school for a week. She had a dummy to go to sleep and woke often for us to replace the dummy - other reasons too. We got woken a lot. She gave up her dummy at 3.5 years happily out of the blew she decided she didnt need it. She now sleeps all night every night except for illness. We did make attempts to take the dummy much earlier but for us it wasn't worth it - hours of crying for every sleep for weeks.Our worse sleeper is now our best.

DD2 - easily fell asleep from birth with no associations that involved us and slept all night from birth. We lost hardly any sleep except for the odd night here and there. As soon as she turned 2.5 years she has become a horrible sleeper for no obvious reason. She wakes up at least 3 times a night crying and this has been 6 months now.
There is no clear cut answer to what happens with sleep associations. In my view it's best to do what works if you can manage. If not, find another way at that time. I think a lot comes down to age and temperament.

#22 aphraell

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

DD fed to sleep (BF or bottle) and to resettle during the night till about 11 months. We stopped offering milk after midnight (would offer water) for about  weeks and then  we dropped the day bottles completely  and switched night time  routine from bath-book-bottle-bed to bath-bottle-book-bed.  She slept through the night form Day 1 of the new routine.

If she is very tired she will occasionally still fall asleep on the bottle and sometimes if she is overtired during the day we can offer water in a bottle and that seems to relax her enough to allow her to get to sleep.

I don't see it as an issue as it allowed ALL of us to gets some valuable months of sleep and I felt that we were abel to make the change when DD was ready. Yes, she is 18 months and still has a night time bottle, but again I don't have an issue with that, as  she doesn't use it to get to sleep, doesn't need it to resettle and especially as I would have still be BF till probably 2 if I had been able to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.