budget v wants

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 nup

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

What was your budget for a pram and how much did you end up spending? Is there any amount that is too high or too low? Or was cost just not a deciding factor?

#2 Tobias'smum

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

we brought the steelcraft acclaim it was on special for like$250 i had a budget of some sort  about$500 absolute max (as my MIL was buying for us )but i had to get one that i could easily use on public transport and was comfortable for me to use with my neck injury while i like some of those fancy expensive ones not very ideal for busses and i would rather spend mony on other things .

when i brought a stroller it was under $100 as mostly to be used for swimming

#3 Mummy fab

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'm a bit of a pram collector so I'm probably not the best person to respond but in my opinion apram is used all the time and it was something I didn't want to scrimp on. I'd rather spend a lot once rather than go through lots of crappy cheap prams.

It all depends on what you are needing in a pram, the most expensive isnt always the best.

#4 nup

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

I agree that cost doesn't necessarily equate to a better pram but I'm also confused as to why many of the cheaper brands are now copying the bugaboo design concept. I've found an expensive pram that ticks all of my boxes and I'm worried I'm spending too much money when I know I can get one a great deal cheaper that just doesn't necessarily meet all of my needs.

I've also read quite a few threads where people have multiple prams and strollers and I really don't want to buy one and end up in this situation, although I'm fast seeing that we can all all be quite wasteful when it comes to buying for children.

#5 Unatheowl

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

I didn't  really have a budget per se but I ended up buying a Bertini.  At the time I felt It was the pram that would suit our needs.  I did do quite a bit of research.  You can never know what really suits you until you start to use it.  It was a piece of crap and cost about the same as a bugaboo (but I was adamant I didn't want one of those).  I ended up getting a peg perego aria after that  which was fabulous.  Hindsight, being 20/20 has showed me that I shouod have bought peg perego in the first place.

I also didn't want to end up with multiple strollers etc but your needs can change across time.  I would look at a good mid priced pram such as a strider for a new mum.  If I had another baby, I wouldn't need a "system" pram anymore, but all my friends were getting them for our first so it was the "done thing".  I didn't konw any better.

#6 *mylittleprince*

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

I spent $600 on the mountain buggy swift for DS and $700 (negotiated the price down) for the mountain buggy duet as we've just had twins. I don't think the most expensive is the best. It depends on the features you are after, how often you will use it, etc. I used the swift for 18 months every day for walking, shopping, etc and it was awesome. Worth every cent!

#7 Madnesscraves

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

I have an icandy pram. Perfect for me when DD was born, easy to handle, travel etc. now she is 11 months and hates it! But loves the loaner pram I have (steecraft agile) which I hate! Storage is rubbish, but DD loves how she isn't restrained as the icandy and can practically dangle off the seat. But, I just hate it! sad.gif will have to research prams and find one to suit both of us.

#8 nup

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

The strider is way too big and heavy una. Happy to go for mid priced but I don't want it to take up too much room or be too heavy. I'm thinking even just an umbrella stroller might be adequate but as you suggested I won't know until I'm actually using it.

#9 Mummy fab

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 03/11/2012, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can you be a 'collector' if you've spent a lot once? lol

Not all cheap prams are crappy. What I liked about going the cheap route is that when (not if, when) a baby puked all through it, I didn't have a complete freakout due to the money spent on it. And usually, I was lucky enough that by the time my babies puked in it to the point of ruining it, that I was able to replace it with a stroller and just throw the pram out. Plus, for me, it's such a short stage of their lives they'll be needing a pram, when you look at the big picture. But each to their own of course

I didn't say I have only spent a lot once, I said I would rather lol.

You really need to work out what's important to you and go from there, is it for mostly shopping centers or walking? Do you want the baby to face you? Does it need the potential of two seats? What about the fold?

I agree not all cheap prams are crappy but most won't go the same distance that a stokke, bugaboo or emmaljunga will.

Also think about the resale value.

I currently have a donkey and it's by far the best pram I have ever owned for me it ticks all the boxes. I think a city mini is a fab pram also but for different needs and of course these are at complete different ends of the budget.

#10 WinterIsComing

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (blithely2 @ 03/11/2012, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that cost doesn't necessarily equate to a better pram but I'm also confused as to why many of the cheaper brands are now copying the bugaboo design concept. I've found an expensive pram that ticks all of my boxes and I'm worried I'm spending too much money when I know I can get one a great deal cheaper that just doesn't necessarily meet all of my needs.

True so many brands now copy the Bugaboo concept! Ie same shape seat, reversible, small front/large back wheels etc.

I am yet to meet a copycat pram, however, which is as elegantly designed as Bugaboo. Starting with being easily stripped off and washed (dries in seconds!) and down to being so light and agile, super comfy for bub and complete with awesome accessories, it is just the best. A friend of mine has an iCandy and it just feels like heavy, bulky, unattractive imitation. Sorry if I offended anyone!

The pram is one baby item you use every day, sometimes several times, for several years. I would absolutely spend as much as I could because a great pram can actually add to your quality of life.

Edited by WinterIsComing, 03 November 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#11 Unatheowl

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (blithely2 @ 03/11/2012, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The strider is way too big and heavy una. Happy to go for mid priced but I don't want it to take up too much room or be too heavy. I'm thinking even just an umbrella stroller might be adequate but as you suggested I won't know until I'm actually using it.

Yep, fair enough.  I just noticed that the new mothers (and me included) seemed to like these big system prams.  I agree they are uneccessarily, that's why I loved my aria so much.  They are suitable for a newborn, fold  and unfold with one hand (leaves the other free to hold your coffee) and is so light!  If I were a more confident new mum I would have gone straight for that.

#12 nup

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Oh winter please don't sell me the bugaboo any more dev (6).gif  I don't need the ptich really I don't wub.gif  I started this thread so that people might come in and tell me about how fabulous their far cheaper pram is.  I'm on the hunt for the ark apparently - the pram that has everything but costs peanuts wacko.gif

edited to remove an irrelevant geometric reference huh.gif

Edited by blithely2, 03 November 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#13 nup

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (WinterIsComing @ 03/11/2012, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would absolutely spend as much as I could because a great pram can actually add to your quality of life.

Is this perhaps overstating things a tad?

Una is the Aria a twin pram? I can't find it online in a single version.

#14 Mung bean

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

We have 2 prams, our first pram (my baby) is a Mountain Buggy Swift which we used for the first 9 months. It has been a fab pram, cost $600.

2nd pram cost $150 on sale down from $300 at Target. It's called a Hipod quickfold, basically it is a total knock off off a Baby Jogger City Mini or a Steelcraft Agile. The reason the pram was bought is I commute on public transport and often i need to fold the pram very quickly for buses, the Mountain Buggy has a lousy fold.

QUOTE (blithely2 @ 03/11/2012, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think strider is an ugly pram, sorry to offend. Looks like a tanker! If you drive a car and dont have any specific uses for it like off road walking ect... then an Umbrella would be fine.

#15 Gumbette

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Another vote for the Bugaboo Cameleon here.  We didn't have a budget, I had no idea when I first started looking.  I saw a lady pushing it around whilst holding her toddler's hand and a drink - she was literally pushing it with a couple of fingers, and I fell in love!   I used it for about 3 years with DD, and have pulled it out again for DS.  It's lasted the distance and everything comes off easily to be washed.  I purchased the Chicco capsule with an adapter this time around so that I can move DS straight out of the car into the pram, and love it even more.  As for resale, I don't think I'd get much for it as it will be around 6 or 7 years old by the time I'm ready to let it go, but I've gotten my money's worth.  The only other downside besides the initial outlay is the room it takes up in your boot.  You really need a big car, especially if you're using the bassinette - the thing is flipping huge.

If you want something a bit cheaper you might consider the Bugaboo Bee?  I bought one for mum to use with DD, it's lighter, takes up less space, folds in one piece, and is just as easy to push.

Edited by Gumbette, 03 November 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#16 Onyx

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

I didn't really have a budget but I spent $500. I love my pram, it has its negatives (mainly width) but for me the positives are far greater than that.

#17 nup

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Gumbette my heart is set on the bee as I love how easy to use and compact it is but I'm a thinker who is determined to find something better rolleyes.gif I'm not a fan of getting Chameleon in and out of a car so it loses points all round for me as we live out of town.

If I could find an umbrella with all the impressive design features of the bugaboos, but with such lightness that I could toss it over my shoulder and walk down the street, I might fall into the prammy love that I read about so much in here unsure.gif

#18 Futureself

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

We didn't have a budget as such, just focussed on ticking the main boxes. When it came down to it, I began to realise that there wasn't going to be the one pram/stroller that will do everything I will want for the next few years. So I accepted that I will probably buy more than one so didn't want to overspend on the first. We chose the Baby Jogger city Select and got it from the US so 'only' paid about $650 including bassinet.
I love it - but am already looking at what I can get next for use on buses and travel in regards to super light, one handed fold strollers. I 'need' both and what each of them will do  wink.gif

#19 Mummy fab

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

If you can wait awhile I think bugaboo are releasing a new stroller maybe see what that's like original.gif

#20 Hooray Henry

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

I've had a ton of prams. I bought a Bee this time, it's lovely and light, very easy to fold and push BUT its a pain on footpaths with a slope and becomes as difficult to reason with as a toddler.  My old favourite is a Maclaren. Fully reclines, easy to push, better behaved on tricky footpaths etc but just not as pretty as the Bee.
To my shame I once owned a Strider, terrible buy and greatly regretted.

It's worth spending the money on a more expensive pram if it makes to easy to get out and go for a walk.

#21 FeralSis

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

Another Maclaren fan here.

Lightweight and depending on the model, full recline so suitable from newborn or so older bubs can sleep very comfortably.

For a stroller they are not cheap but I am yet to find a stroller that is as easy to push or steer.

Having said that I still bought a new pram with pump up tyres and bassinet for walking when youngest Dd was born last year as where I live there are not many footpaths and I wanted to walk a lot.

#22 WinterIsComing

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

And no, in answer to one of PPs, saying "a great pram adds to your quality of life" is not overstating it at all.

Why wouldn't it?

There is a daily aesthetic enjoyment, for starters.

Secondly, it is something you actually have to physically push, up the hills, uneven paths, in shops. Daily. If that's not playing part in your quality of life, what is? I know if I had to push something heavy/hard to maneuver, then all those daily walks would be less enjoyable. As such, I've enjoyed each and every walk  biggrin.gif

Maclarens have their place, but I can't imagine having just a Maclaren for a newborn. Forward facing, for starters, just seems cruel to me. I couldn't cope with not seeing my newborn and checking upon his breathing all the time! I cannot imagine having a young babe being propelled towards the big overwhelming wold, not seeing his/her mum's face. Rearfacing was non negotiable for me.

It is also very low to the ground, thin fabric....prams with a bassinet provide a coccoon for the young baby, on the other hand. There are many forward facing prams that have a rear facing bassinet attachment, unlike Maclaren.

#23 livvie7586

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

OP, my budget has always been 'as low as possible without compromising'.  actually my favourite stroller has been a steelcraft holiday, $99 at big w (ours is almost 6 years old and still going strong).

But, it all comes down to finding a pram that suits you and your lifestyle.  are you going to do lots of walking or is it going to be a shopping centre pram only?  (walking prams are so much easier with tyres that can be pumped up, shopping centre ones are fine with plastic wheels).  3 wheeled or 4 wheeled?  (that one really is a personal preference, i hate 4 wheeled prams).  big boot space/small boot space?  rear facing or not?  bassinet or not?  then it comes down to finding something that suits your budget that has the features you desire.

In saying that, i currently have 4 prams/strollers (in the process of selling one).  I have my holiday, i have an Orbit (4 wheeled thing, hate it and i'm selling it), i have an old EX3 (3 wheeled pram, perfect for walking, but is old an doesn't do everything it should) and a strider (with bassinet).  Holiday has been ours since new, orbit is fairly new (and barely used), EX3 was $20 at an op shop and the strider with all the bits and pieces was given to me off freecycle (i really only want it for while bub is little and still using the bassinet)

#24 belindarama

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

The right pram does actually make your life easier.

We had a Quinny buzz which was quite good but we we got a Zapp when the first was 1.

Then we moved to Hong Kong for several months and the Zapp was a disaster! So wrong for us at that point. It was useless on the HK shonky footpaths. Little storage and I was doing all the grocery shopping on foot. Also, I was a bit bored so I went out and about every day and with no recline or back support it just didn't work.

The Bee had just been released in HK so we bought one. It was cheaper there. I loved it from the get go. It was perfect. I never found it an issue on footpaths and there were some shockers there. I could carry it up stairs by myself, even with a child in it. I had to do that a lot and it was fine. People just used to watch me. It never occurred to anyone to offer to help!

We used it for DS2 from birth. I got the Buzz out briefly but pretty quickly got the baby nest and went back to the Bee. We have a skateboard for it for long days out when we want to speed things up and just get where we are going or DS1 has walked a lot and is tired.

Our Bee is almost 6 years old and is still looking new. It is easy to wash and keep clean. It comes apart if you need to wash it. It just goes in the washing machine. I have only had to do that a couple of times.

It has good storage, reverses, adjustable handle, folds pretty small, is very light and easy to control on most surfaces.

I think it worth getting the right pram the first time rather than spending less and then buying something else later as it isn't right.

#25 Stacey*

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

I do a lot of walking in our small country town and there aren't footpaths in some areas or the footpaths are so old and rough. So for us I found we needed 2 prams one for walking and one for in the car, going shopping.

I ended up with an Emmaljunga with big pump up wheels and bassinet  wub.gif  (currently rocking 3 month old to sleep in with my foot) and a steelcraft stroller. I could not find a pram that did it all but am very happy with my two prams I have so I didn't need to compromise on any of the walking pram features I wanted while still having a small shop and car friendly pram.

Edited by Stacey*, 04 November 2012 - 12:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.